• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post-game impressions (and boss spoilers):

So it only took 43 hours to complete the main story, which isn't bad. The final bosses first phase was much more difficult than the 2nd phase, I think I beat it in about 40 seconds or something. I felt the attack that left you with 5% HP wasn't all that intimidating, the random death attack was though, however.

Not enjoying the missions, I figured post-game the early missions would be simple 5 stars but they have silly time requirements which always leave me with 3 or 4 :( I guess I'll do missions in-between clearing up my new backlog since getting the FF13 Xbox 360... I may even play the 360 version :lol

Volcynika

I'm trying to do (I think) the third mission, but I can't find the mark. I found a yellow jump point but I have no idea what to do with it. Any help?

Dead

well not really...yet
Man, Ive started replaying FF12 while taking a bit of break from 13 and I dislike it even more than before. License board is still the worst shit ever, gambits are a pain in the ass, and the combat is painfully boring.

FF13 is such an improvement over 12 on all fronts, aside from sidequests and exploration. <3 XIII

panda21

so i cant change who is in my party and who is the leader at all for now right (chapter 5)?

i love the combat system now i got used to paradigm shifting a lot. if it was in a proper rpg it would be awesome. as it is, it feels like half of a final fantasy game, because theres a whole component of it missing.

its a shame because if this was more like an old snes FF where you just choose archetypes, with this combat system it would be fantastic, but then again theyve obviously ditched that style to be able to focus on the named characters. they do that stuff very well, but theres a few of them that are annoying enough that its not great... i think i'd rather have the other end of the spectrum.

maybe agito or XIII-2 or whatever it is will be more like that but i doubt it.

Diablos

Dead said:
Man, Ive started replaying FF12 while taking a bit of break from 13 and I dislike it even more than before. License board is still the worst shit ever, gambits are a pain in the ass, and the combat is painfully boring.

FF13 is such an improvement over 12 on all fronts, aside from sidequests and exploration. <3 XIII
I am only on Chapter 6 (just about to venture into
Nautilus
), and I'm basically enjoying the game more than the entirety of FFXII so far.

Zalasta

ElFly said:
Any hints for defeating Hecantonchires?

The asshole just steamrolls vanille and fang.

I was just going to say that the game never really required me to grind until this point. I guess I'll have to turn around and do some missions before continuing so I can buff Vanille and Fang a bit more.

cosmicblizzard said:
And when she casts magic.

That seems to be the one thing everyone in this thread can agree on. Like her or not, Vanille sounds like she's orgasming A LOT.

How can you tell Vanille has poor personal hygiene? Sahz says "Something smells fishy, and I'm gonna find it." near her.

ElFly

Rpgmonkey said:
I used SAB/COM when he did Looming Wrath, and MED/SEN when he was attacking.

That's what I am trying, but he still kills the party once he starts attacking.

I guess I'll have to grind a little in gran pulse, like zalasta said.

I have a question for the FF13 Battle experts out there.

If an enemy is weak to a particular type of magic, how do you get your teammates to assist in casting the right kind of magic? I'm sitting here fighting a fire vulnerable creature, using the correct weakness magic, but my idiotic teammate is using fire and healing the creature.

How can I stop them from doing that?

Dead

well not really...yet
Digital-Hero said:
I have a question for the FF13 Battle experts out there.

If an enemy is weak to a particular type of magic, how do you get your teammates to assist in casting the right kind of magic? I'm sitting here fighting a fire vulnerable creature, using the correct weakness magic, but my idiotic teammate is using fire and healing the creature.

How can I stop them from doing that?
Cast Libra

Diablos

Hey, advice needed: Unfortunately, overstock.com miscalculated their stock of the LE FFXIII guide; they refunded the $22 and gave me a $5 credit. Anyway, is the paperback guide really worth it? I wanted the LE for the sake of it being a collector's item more than anything else, not to help me through the game. I was actually still deciding if I should even have taken it out of the wrapping.

Is there really anything worthwhile in there? Lots of art? Interviews? Anything that justifies the purchase?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Reached Gran Pulse, will commence grinding and doing missions.

A few thoughts:

Is Fang in to Vanille?
Snow does a lot of heroic speeches and drama over Serah >_>

Ricker

Diablos said:
Hey, advice needed: Unfortunately, overstock.com miscalculated their stock of the LE FFXIII guide; they refunded the $22 and gave me a $5 credit. Anyway, is the paperback guide really worth it? I wanted the LE for the sake of it being a collector's item more than anything else, not to help me through the game. I was actually still deciding if I should even have taken it out of the wrapping.

Is there really anything worthwhile in there? Lots of art? Interviews? Anything that justifies the purchase?

I would like to know this also...it`s made by Piggyback isn`t it?? if it`s as nice as the RE5 Piggyback strat/guide,I think i`ll pick it up.

Dead

well not really...yet
Digital-Hero said:
I did, that is how I figured out that the enemy was vulnerable. My teammate is still using the incorrect type.
Wierd

Thats never happened with me. Once you cast Libra, they should automatically start targetting its weaknesses...

Sydle

Dead said:

Completely disagree. FFXII felt like an evolution of the series in every way, while FFXIII seems like a huge step in a direction I just don't want.

Gambits were awesome. License board was okay, at least it wasn't a glorified sphere grid.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
ElFly said:
That's what I am trying, but he still kills the party once he starts attacking.

I guess I'll have to grind a little in gran pulse, like zalasta said.
Grinding :/

My favorite aspect of this game so far is that any trouble I'm having just requires a shift in strategy and paradigms. I hope the grinding bits don't bring my opinion down too far.

calder

Rather liking the game so far. I feel most of the criticisms about the linearity and so on, but damn is it nice looking and the battles are pretty fun.

One thing that really surprises me is how well they are telling the story. The actual story is ok, some of your expected Square goofy plot shit, but the writing and presentation of the story are excellent, and the cold open even worked for me. They did an especially good job of writing mostly clear, effective dialogue (in a FF game? mind meet boggle) and the story recaps in the datalog reveal just enough backstory without spoiling the stuff you're going to learn in 10 minutes.

Dead

well not really...yet
Paco said:
Completely disagree. FFXII felt like an evolution of the series in every way, while FFXIII seems like a huge step in a direction I just don't want.

Gambits were awesome. License board was okay, at least it wasn't a glorified sphere grid.
Considering that the sphere grid is leagues better than the license board, a glorified sphere grid is also tons better :p

Filldough

Playing way too much this weekend. Think I'm on Chapter 9 and I just gotta say Snow is a horrible name for such a badass character.

Hyunkel6

What's the most effective way to replenish TP during battles besides items? I never get to use summons during boss battles, since I spend most of my TP on libra, especially for bosses with multiple parts.

edgefusion

Chamber said:
Grinding :/

My favorite aspect of this game so far is that any trouble I'm having just requires a shift in strategy and paradigms. I hope the grinding bits don't bring my opinion down too far.

Well as soon as you hit Gran Pulse say hello to grind-land. Any semblance the game had of a difficulty-curve goes straight out the window in favour of a difficulty-kick-your-ass-send-you-home-crying. Which is a shame, I was really enjoying being able to play through the story segments without grinding for 6 trillion hours but that came to end when I landed on Pulse.

edgefusion said:
Well as soon as you hit Gran Pulse say hello to grind-land. Any semblance the game had of a difficulty-curve goes straight out the window in favour of a difficulty-kick-your-ass-send-you-home-crying. Which is a shame, I was really enjoying being able to play through the story segments without grinding for 6 trillion hours but that came to end when I landed on Pulse.
That's quite a radical change of pace, though I wouldn't mind the ability to grind and power up. It probably shouldn't be mandatory though. I'm not yet there so I guess I'll see.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Digital-Hero said:
I did, that is how I figured out that the enemy was vulnerable. My teammate is still using the incorrect type.

Did you cast Libra twice? I've noticed that most enemies needs it to be cast twice, for you to get all info out of it. Maybe the teammates don't use the info until you cast it the second time?

(Ch. 11 question, possible spoilers)
So, what's the general consensus on the monster hunt missions? I've done up to 15 at this point (though I was just shy of 5-starring that last one, sadly) and was wondering how far I can expect to get on them with the pre-completion cap.

Sydle

Dead said:
Considering that the sphere grid is leagues better than the license board, a glorified sphere grid is also tons better :p

At least the license board let me choose my priorities to a higher degree. The sphere grid, and now the crystarium, don't give me much of a choice on what I have to spend my points on since I have to unlock one point to get to the next one down the line.

Mandoric

Banned
edgefusion said:

If you've killed one of everything on your way up to there, you may be well-served to do the first few available hunts, but it shouldn't require actual grinding.

Cloudy

Banned
kyo_daikun said:
Didn't see the comment and im very thankful, guess this is going to be my last post in this thread till i've completed the game :(

Seriously. Even apart from that, why are folks posting post-game thoughts in here when there's a separate thread for that? I'm out :p

The game CAN (thankfully) be challenging, but it has taken a long time for it to get to that point for me. Only after the point in time that you start getting Fang in your party does anything seem to pose a challenge. Actually I died the first time on the boss at the end of the tropical foresty level too.

I find the fact that it's so easy to just "retry" both keeps the amount of controller throwing rage to acceptable levels but also kind of feels like cheating. At first, the inability to control what most of my party is doing (directly) and the fact that you regain all hp at the end of every battle seemed like cop-outs but I guess I'm getting more accepting of the strategic validity of the paradigms.

I mean even XII let you control every party member directly at will, and let you fine tune what they do when you're not controlling them using the gambits -- why are gambits gone? Is the auto command so correct 100% of the time that changing anything that auto would do would simply be a retarded move on your part? For example, though, sometimes somebody in the healer role on AI doesn't pay enough attention to my team leader as I'd like.

Lastly, I hate how it's game over when the leader dies and you still have two people that can switch to medic and renew them or use a down. What the hell square, in FF it's over when everybody dies... until that last guy runs out of phoenix downs or gets pummeled by some extremely unfair screen-wide energy beam that there is no way to avoid or protect against. =)

edgefusion said:

The difficulty ramps up slightly in chapters 11-13 if you choose not to grind or run missions, but it is still completely possible.

Just rub those brain cells together and get cracking.

Cloudy

Banned
BTW, no one answered my music question. One of the FF13 experts here should know the name of the violin tune that plays when
Fang and Lightening are going to help Snow and Hope

How do you make money in FF13? Enemies aren't dropping gil. 8 hours in and I still have sub 1,500 gil. The shops tease good gear that I cannot afford.

Digital-Hero said:
How do you make money in FF13? Enemies aren't dropping gil. 8 hours in and I still have sub 1,500 gil. The shops tease good gear that I cannot afford.

Dont spend money, Im 16 hours in (chp 7) and havent bought a single thing from the shop. There really hasnt been a need

Jrmint

Digital-Hero said:
Credit and Incentive ships, they are there to be sold.

So I just finished Chapter 9, definitely the toughest boss in the game up until now...

I wiped the first time, but then I ran a RAV/COM/MED group the second time I tried it and it worked like a charm. I did all the buffs/debuffs to start the fight and reapplied them when needed, then switched to the Diversity team I mentioned with Hope full time in MED and it worked great. I used the tips you guys gave to go RAV/RAV/COM when he is charging and that worked great too. Took a while (14 minutes) I think, but it was awesome.

Is Chapter 10 as long as 9? I am really getting eager to go to Pulse which is 11 right?

Volcynika

Skel said:
Credit and Incentive ships, they are there to be sold.

So I just finished Chapter 9, definitely the toughest boss in the game up until now...

I wiped the first time, but then I ran a RAV/COM/MED group the second time I tried it and it worked like a charm. I did all the buffs/debuffs to start the fight and reapplied them when needed, then switched to the Diversity team I mentioned with Hope full time in MED and it worked great. I used the tips you guys gave to go RAV/RAV/COM when he is charging and that worked great too. Took a while (14 minutes) I think, but it was awesome.

Is Chapter 10 as long as 9? I am really getting eager to go to Pulse which is 11 right?

Chapter 10 is short-ish compared to 9.

I'm only just starting Chapter 7, but I've had more fun in this game than X or XII.

Hyunkel6 said:
What's the most effective way to replenish TP during battles besides items? I never get to use summons during boss battles, since I spend most of my TP on libra, especially for bosses with multiple parts.
Trying using Librascope. Especially since it "hits" all enemies instead of just one at a time like Libra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom