• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just farmed 745k CP in 45 minutes to max everyone's base roles. Now that it's done time for grinding for the remaining 3 :lol

Can anyone tell me more-less stats they had when they took down
larger Adamantoise
legit style aka no Death? Curious if I can try them.

chandoog said:
I've been spending a lot of time on Gladius but damn this Organyx sword sounds hella lot better, asking for way less EXP too. But seeing it's position in the list I imagine it's a REALLY late game weapon ?.

Organyx's ability is reduced ATB speed. Trust me, you don't want that.

Sydle

careful said:
Did I upgrade terribly wrong or mess up something, because I get destroyed by Odin as soon as the battle starts. I literally don't have time to heal myself before biting the dust.
I start off with Lighting as Medic and Hope as Synergist? to buff my defense. But even Medic/Medic I get owned from the start. WTF

Tough battle that took me about seven tries to get lucky. I used the same strategy you described and I spammed about 10 potions and had to use several Phoenix Downs. Make sure you use Libra to identify his weaknesses early on.

scotcheggz

chandoog said:
I've been spending a lot of time on Gladius but damn this Organyx sword sounds hella lot better, asking for way less EXP too. But seeing it's position in the list I imagine it's a REALLY late game weapon ?.

I don't know, I took the "Ironstrike" ability name from the English game, but in the Japanese wiki I translated the info from, the japanese translates something like "depletes ATB on attack" or something like that possibly. I'm not sure as I haven't done it, but it would make sense when you consider the high stats.

Edit: Aparently what Castor Krieg said :lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Castor Krieg said:
Organyx's ability is reduced ATB speed. Trust me, you don't want that.

Well that sucks ..

seeing as how i've already spent (what i think is) a lot of money and components on the Gladius is it wise for me to just stick with this and not bother upgrading anything else for Light ?

Gladius at Lv 10 right now.

chandoog said:
Well that sucks ..

seeing as how i've already spent (what i think is) a lot of money and components on the Gladius is it wise for me to just stick with this and not bother upgrading anything else for Light ?

Gladius at Lv 10 right now.

All of Tier 2 weapons are relatively easy to level. If you are aiming for Trophies/Ultimate Weapons you will have enough money to max all the Tier 2 weapons you want (and you need to max them for All Weapons & Accessories Trophy). It's just a matter of what weapons you prefer. I have Helter Skelter (Gladius tier 2) maxed, I will stick with it and make ultimate weapon out of Lionheart.

entremet

So you can only buy individual songs of iTunes from the FFXIII OST? That sucks. I don't want to get the CD set as I'm done with discs for music at least.

I'm guess I'm gonna have to buy the OST from SquareEnix.com. Weird because the the older FF OST can be purchased as full albums.

careful

Paco said:
Tough battle that took me about seven tries to get lucky. I used the same strategy you described and I spammed about 10 potions and had to use several Phoenix Downs. Make sure you use Libra to identify his weaknesses early on.
OK, I just beat him but holy shit was that frustrating. I decided to use the defensive buff item outside of battle to start. But even then I died a couple of times. It was straight luck like you said that for this one battle he gave me enough time to heal at the beginning then I switched to back and forth RAV/RAV MED/MED and used a bunch of Phoenix Downs... Unbelievably cheap boss.

Jrmint

reilo said:
Chapter 4 is painfully boring. Hope it picks up quickly.
Yea this was probably the worst chapter in the game for me. It is pretty long, and pretty bad (Sazh/Vanille parts), but everything after that is great so don't worry.

Someone mentioned RAV attacks are based on Magic earlier in the thread. Aren't elemental attacks like Aquastrike based on the Strength rating? I like using those strikes rather than the ranged attacks.

I'm always confused what happens when you use Aquastrike on an enemy who is weak to Water and Halves Physical damage. I'm assuming you do less damage, but you build the stagger meter quicker?

I want to upgrade the Gladius, since I'm using Lightning more as a RAV, I don't want to screw myself upgrading only Strength.

Ponn

Banned
Mandoric said:
Light: I went with the Gradius tree. Her stats and abilities favor melee to begin with. Lionheart can lead to instant breaks if you're lucky, but I'd rather rely on a constant drumbeat of damage. Hauteclair's power is similar, but I'd rather not give a no-break weapon to someone who could hypothetically be my only Blaster. Accel Blade could hypothetically be a good choice at endgame where its penalty is 1/5 total attack.

Hmmm...really? I know I just started in chapter 11 but I seem to be using Light as a Ravager ALOT. I plan on going for achievements so I want to upgrade every weapon to at least tier 2 anyways but I have upgraded the
axis
blade and have been using that pretty much since I got it.

Played up to Odin last night. He took a few tries, but basically didn't turn out to be all that difficult.

I like the way Chpt 4 plays. It lets me think about various character strengths individually and paired so that I can make a bit more sense of how to best use paradigms.

Cloudy

Banned
I just skimmed through the OST and I don't think the song is on there. Damn!

Is anyone near the end of chap 7? What is that song. It's gonna drive me nuts :(

Ricker

Not digging the Sentinel play right now in Chapter 7...there`s a few fights where you absolutly need to do it and the timing is kinda hard to figure out...i`ll have to get lucky or do the old Pheonix Down trick hehe...damn.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Cloudy said:
MS using the CG ad for this NBA game on ABC. Much better than the Lightning face mosaic garbage...
The Lightning mosaic commercial is actually what got me interested in the game. I might be the only person alive who can say this.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Dead said:
Wierd

Thats never happened with me. Once you cast Libra, they should automatically start targetting its weaknesses...

Yeah, same. I love Libra for that. Though it's weird/annoying you need to cast it twice to get the rare drop and extra comments.

Peff

You don't actually need to cast Libra to get enemy information. For groups of several enemies you'll get it anyways, but for strong enemies it is convenient to use it to get the info as soon as possible.

Ricker said:
Not digging the Sentinel play right now in Chapter 7...there`s a few fights where you absolutly need to do it and the timing is kinda hard to figure out...i`ll have to get lucky or do the old Pheonix Down trick hehe...damn.

Don't use it, I found slash and burn then switching war and peace for heals worked out fine. I was probably doing it the 'wrong way' but sentinel wasn't working for me either.

omg rite said:
Yeah, same. I love Libra for that. Though it's weird/annoying you need to cast it twice to get the rare drop and extra comments.

what was that again? rare drops for using libra twice?

burgerdog

Just got to ch11, epic intro! And do we get to fight that giant
ass dude that eats the adaman? Wowowow, I thought the adamans were big but that thing is insane.

ZeoVGM

Banned
scotcheggz said:
I decided to do some scrounging about looking for upgrade guides and things and there was not much in English really, but I found a Japanese WIKI with some really nice info, such as amount of EXP needed to reach max lvl for each weapon. This helped me a lot using the 36x Sturdy bone method to reach 3x EXP multiplier, since I could work out exactly how much of what I needed.

36x Sturdy Bone = 3x EXP Multiplier.
At the time, I could only buy the 840gil items, I think they were 774(?) EXP.
I upgraded Axis blade, so I divided 66,750 / 774, and bought the correct amount of items. Dumped them all on the weapon and BAM, 26* lvl axis blade in less than 1 minute. :D

I thought I would translate it. Hope its OK, I know it's not gamefaqs here. I only did Lightnings swords but if it's ok, I'll do the other characters if there is interest. All names are from the english version.

Format goes:

Weapon name: Attack @ highest lvl / Magic @ highest lvl / Ability / Item to change weapon / Amount of XP needed to reach max lvl.

Lightning:

Blazefire Sabre > Flamberge > Omega Weapon.

Blazefire Sabre: 115 / 115 / --- / Pervoskite / 24,600.
Flamberge: 323 / 323 / --- / Trapezohedron / 445,950
Omega Weapon: 620 / 620 / ATB+1 / --- / 1,296,897.

Edged Carbine > Razor Carbine > Omega Weapon.

Edged Carbine: 83 / 170 / --- / Pervoskite / 33,000.
Razor Carbine: 190 / 448 / --- / Trapezohedron / 437,550.
Omega Weapon: 210 / 723 / ATB+1 / --- / 1,296,897.

Gladius > Helter Skelter > Omega Weapon.

Gladius: 175 / 88 / --- / Uraninite / 33,000.
Helter Skelter: 448 / 190 / --- / Trapezohedron / 332,560.
Omega Weapon: 723 / 210 / ATB+1 / --- / 1,380,087.

Axis Blade > Enkindler > Omega Weapon.

Axis Blade: 48 / 48 / ATB charge on hit / Adamantite / 66,750.
Enkindler: 133 / 133 / ATB charge on hit / Trapezohedron / 280,830.
Omega Weapon: 315 / 315 / ATB charge on hit + ATB+1 / --- / 1,419,867.

Lifesaber > Peacemaker > Omega Weapon.

Lifesaber: 88 / 88 / Improved Raise / Scarletite / 70,850.
Peacemaker: 225 / 225 / Imroved Raise / Traezohedron / 236,350.
Omega Weapon: 520 / 520 / Improved Raise + ATB+1 / --- / 1,460,247.

Lionheart > Ultimate Weapon > Omega Weapon.

Lionheart: 68 / 68 / Early Stagger / Scarletite / 63,060.
Ultimate Weapon: 213 / 213 / Early Stagger / Trapezohedron / 221,900.
Omega Weapon: 508 / 508 / Early Stagger + ATB+1 / --- / 1,482,487.

Hauteclaire > Durandal > Omega Weapon.

Hauteclaire: 138 / 138 / Stagger Lock / Uraninite / 54,800.
Durandal: 378 / 378 / Stagger Lock / Trapezohedron / 332,560.
Omega Weapon: 711 / 711 / Stagger Lock + ATB+1 / 1,380,087.

Organyx > Apocalypse > Omega Weapon.

Organyx: 187 / 187 / Leadenstrike / Cobaltite / 20,100.
Apocalypse: 410 / 410 / Ironstrike / Trapezohedron / 233,220.
Omega Weapon: 750 / 750 / Ironstrike + ATB+1 / --- / 1,514,127.

I would VERY much like the rest of the characters if you feel inclined. (And hell, feel free to go nuts on the accessory information too. Heh.)

So is it insanely weird that I want to upgrade all my weapons to their ultimate form? And I mean like... getting all versions of the Omega Weapon and so on. :lol

I NEED help!

I have spent about 3 hours trying to kill the Chapter 9 boss.

I have followed about 3 pieces of advice from guides on the internet.

I have tried my own combinations now that I know how the boss plays out.

3 HOURS and still no luck.

The furthest I've got to is quarter health left on the boss.

Can someone give some good advice.

I'll give you a Blur beta code if I find out I can beat it. (Don't even know if the beta's on any more.)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ashbash159 said:
I NEED help!

I'll give you a Blur beta code if I find out I can beat it. (Don't even know if the beta's on any more.)

What have you been doing? I'm stuck here too but I'm about to try it with Hope using Shell and Protect, which doesn't seem like it'll make it drastically different but maybe it will...

Rektash

Ok here some questions for you guys. I am at the end of chapter 9 and have some general questions for the later chapters:

1. When I reach chapter 11, can I do all missions right there or can I finish some and come back later during chapter 12/13 to do the rest?

2. I know that the elemental rings are missable. Is there a compiled list of them somewhere?, cause I really want that treasure hunter achievement.

3. Any other missable achievement stuff? Since I really like the game I want to 1000/1000G.

Thats it (for now), thanks in advance.

ashbash159 said:
I NEED help!

If you got to quarter health, I'm assuming you can beat the first 4 smaller heads. I ran a Lightning/Fang/Hope squad. Buff with Hope, use Sentinel with Fang when you heal, and make sure to have a MED/MED/SEN paradigm ready after the Boss Destruct. When the boss starts to charge, go RAV/RAV/COM with full health and get the stagger meter up ASAP. It will reduce the damage and heal immediately. Otherwise, keep the buffs up and switch to COM/SEN/MED when you need some healing.

sam27368

Banned
omg rite said:
I would VERY much like the rest of the characters if you feel inclined. (And hell, feel free to go nuts on the accessory information too. Heh.)

So is it insanely weird that I want to upgrade all my weapons to their ultimate form? And I mean like... getting all versions of the Omega Weapon and so on. :lol

To get the trophy for held every weapon and accessory do you have to do this?

Peff

ashbash159 said:
I NEED help!

Have you maxed out the Crystarium? If so, my strategy was

Lightning (with the ring that gives +150 HP), Hope(with the ring that gives 250 HP) and Fang. Set these paradigms (in said order of characters)

- Ravager, Ravager, Commando
- Commando, Healer, Sentinel
- Commando, Ravager, Sentinel
- Commando, Ravager, Saboteur
- Healer, Healer, Sentinel
- Commando or Healer, Synergist, Saboteur

Start off using the last one to buff yourself with Hope, then use one of the attack formations to keep destroying his parts. You shouldn't have too much trouble. Use a Librascope to make the AI smart. Once the real boss is revealed, use the first one to build stagger meter. If you see he's striking strong, change to the second to heal and keep the meter in check thanks to Lightning. Once he uses his ultimate attack, chance to both healers to max out your HP and then use the time you have left to try to stagger him. You should survive, but change back to healing right after. Use COM/RAV/COM once you have staggered him and built a good % to make some great damage, and use Odin if you have to, you'll do some nice damage but more importantly you'll get COMPLETELY healed and full ATB bars at the end.

EDIT: NO! you don't have to get all the ultimate weapons, they're all one and the same. It would be one of the hardest achievements otherwise :lol

ZeoVGM

Banned
sam27368 said:
To get the trophy for held every weapon and accessory do you have to do this?

I would assume you only need one each ultimate weapon, meaning only one Omega Weapon. I don't think the stats of the weapon matter.

Enemy Of Fate said:
Where the hell did you manage to get so much so quickly?!

I have Growth Egg from mission 55 equipped. The spot I farm is located next to teleport stone with mission 17, you will find two mobs fighting there. You are always guaranteed preemptive attack with them. I got it down to 13 seconds. THen I run up to the save point, turn back and fight again. It's 13 200 CP for one fight with the egg equipped.

omg rite said:
I would assume you only need one each ultimate weapon, meaning only one Omega Weapon. I don't think the stats of the weapon matter.

Correct, you need only one Tier 3 weapon for trophy/achievement to count. However, you need all Tier 2 weapons ofc.

Rektash said:
Ok here some questions for you guys. I am at the end of chapter 9 and have some general questions for the later chapters:

1. When I reach chapter 11, can I do all missions right there or can I finish some and come back later during chapter 12/13 to do the rest?

2. I know that the elemental rings are missable. Is there a compiled list of them somewhere?, cause I really want that treasure hunter achievement.

3. Any other missable achievement stuff? Since I really like the game I want to 1000/1000G.

Thats it (for now), thanks in advance.

1. You can do some of the missions, later ones will be too hard. You cannot come back during chapter 12, however you will be able to come back at the beginning of chapter 13 and later just before the final boss.

2. There are simply rings that give you resist to a particular element. Simply don't sell any accessories. Also, treasure hunter is not connected to elemental rings. To get this achievement simply dig 20 times with a chocobo (you will get Ribbon on your 20th time, which unlocks the achievement).

3. Apart from elemental rings that you might sell there are no missable achievments/trophies.

Ryn

So I can't figure out how to beat the chapter 11 boss for the life of me. The farthest I get is getting him down to half health after staggering him at least 4 times, and then he just one shots me. Okay that's fair. :[ I've been stuck on him for almost two hours. What the fuck.

Ryn said:
So I can't figure out how to beat the chapter 11 boss for the life of me. The farthest I get is getting him down to half health after staggering him at least 4 times, and then he just one shots me. Okay that's fair. :[ I've been stuck on him for almost two hours. What the fuck.

Try to use Shell to mitigate his "final" attack. I also had 3 Medics for super quick HP refill.

Hy_

Hy_ said:
I'm assuming the first three roles you get are the best for that character. Looking at the Crystarium menu the top being the best, third role being third best, etc. So which characters fit the best role/class?

I looked at the preview PDF for the official strategy guide and it had charts for characters that best fit a role. Could someone put that in text form?

Any takers? Guess it's more personal preference. Thus far, Hope seems to be more of a defensive SYN, while Sahz is offensive.

sam27368

Banned
Does the official guide have a trophy/achievement guide? I bought the collectors copy of it especially for that

:EDIT: also are there location specific items (accessories/weapons) that can only be found once throughout the game (that you can't go back and back) that will affect the trophy?

jabipun

Thinking about getting this.

As far the complaints - I always kind of hated large towns. They always slow the pace down and a large town is just a glorified means to talk to a bunch of people and go to place X to further engage the story.

Anyway, I have a 360 and PS3. Which version should I get this for?

I hate multiple discs, but the trophy system sucks on the PS3. Achievements are better.

Yes I'm an idiot.

So anway, no need for trolling - just be honest and detail the 'factual' differences between the versions. I'm not looking for an intricate debate.

burgerdog said:
No one? Possible ch11 spoiler regarding the intro.
Do you fight the giant that eats the adaman as a hunt or boss fight?

You don't fight him, however you interact with him during some missions

Peff

burgerdog said:
No one? Possible ch11 spoiler regarding the intro.
Do you fight the giant that eats the adaman as a hunt or boss fight?

No :(

Does the official guide have a trophy/achievement guide? I bought the collectors copy of it especially for that

Yes and no. The Trophy/Achievement part is only the descriptions, but they say how to get then during the rest of the guide. The ones that aren't so obvious are described right there though.

jabipun said:
As far the complaints - I always kind of hated large towns. They always slow the pace down and a large town is just a glorified means to talk to a bunch of people and go to place X to further engage the story.

No towns in this game.

jabipun said:
Anyway, I have a 360 and PS3. Which version should I get this for?

PS3

Peff said:
Have you maxed out the Crystarium? If so, my strategy was

Lightning (with the ring that gives +150 HP), Hope(with the ring that gives 250 HP) and Fang. Set these paradigms (in said order of characters)

- Ravager, Ravager, Commando
- Commando, Healer, Sentinel
- Commando, Ravager, Sentinel
- Commando, Ravager, Saboteur
- Healer, Healer, Sentinel
- Commando or Healer, Synergist, Saboteur

Start off using the last one to buff yourself with Hope, then use one of the attack formations to keep destroying his parts. You shouldn't have too much trouble. Use a Librascope to make the AI smart. Once the real boss is revealed, use the first one to build stagger meter. If you see he's striking strong, change to the second to heal and keep the meter in check thanks to Lightning. Once he uses his ultimate attack, chance to both healers to max out your HP and then use the time you have left to try to stagger him. You should survive, but change back to healing right after. Use COM/RAV/COM once you have staggered him and built a good % to make some great damage, and use Odin if you have to, you'll do some nice damage but more importantly you'll get COMPLETELY healed and full ATB bars at the end.

EDIT: NO! you don't have to get all the ultimate weapons, they're all one and the same. It would be one of the hardest achievements otherwise :lol

Thanks for the advice, I will try this straight away. Do you want the Blur beta (Xbox 360)?

FAKE EDIT: One thing...
you say "Use COM/RAV/COM once you have staggered him and built a good % to make some great dam...", but there is no COM/RAV/COM. I'm assuming that the third layout is this and is not meant to be COM/RAV/SEN.

Oh yeah... I might try maxing out my crystarium since is so very close.

marathonfool said:
Someone mentioned RAV attacks are based on Magic earlier in the thread. Aren't elemental attacks like Aquastrike based on the Strength rating? I like using those strikes rather than the ranged attacks.

I'm always confused what happens when you use Aquastrike on an enemy who is weak to Water and Halves Physical damage. I'm assuming you do less damage, but you build the stagger meter quicker?

I want to upgrade the Gladius, since I'm using Lightning more as a RAV, I don't want to screw myself upgrading only Strength.

Can somebody answer my question. I'm antsy to upgrade. Thanks in advance.

ashbash159 said:
One thing...
you say "Use COM/RAV/COM once you have staggered him and built a good % to make some great dam...", but there is no COM/RAV/COM. I'm assuming that the third layout is this and is not meant to be COM/RAV/SEN.

You know that you can make your own paradigm setups right? Go to menu->paradigm->customize->then hit x to customize

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom