• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Xenon_

Banned
Defeated the CH9 boss on the first attempt. Not hard at all if you always get everybody buffered up (the boss can even be slowed). After gathering all 6 members the game finally got back on track and keeps appealing me. Hope it can keep it up for the rest 4 chapters.

I'm loving this game so far, I've only played ff iv and tactics, but yeah the story is really pulling me in, and I'm loving the combat system.

One question though, wtf is up with phrases like "hell on earth" there is no earth to them? It should be "hell on cocoon." I just thought that was a weird phrase to hear.

Rektash

Digital-Hero said:
How do you make money in FF13? Enemies aren't dropping gil. 8 hours in and I still have sub 1,500 gil. The shops tease good gear that I cannot afford.

You don t really need money until you want to upgrade your weapons which is around chapter 8-9. In chapter 9 it is quite easy to farm incentive chips. I went from around sub 10k Gil to 60k Gil in about 1-1.5h farming. (I didn t really farm beacause of the money, I just enjoyed the fights in chapter 9 - xp and gil was only a bonus)

Rektash said:
You don t really need money until you want to upgrade your weapons which is around chapter 8-9. In chapter 9 it is quite easy to farm incentive chips. I went from around sub 10k Gil to 60k Gil in about 1-1.5h farming. (I didn t really farm beacause of the money, I just enjoyed the fights in chapter 9 - xp and gil was only a bonus)

Ok, cool. Thanks!

BeeDog

Alright, my copy should arrive tomorrow or the day after, and I have not read anything in regards to this game. :D The only thing I wish to know is this; are there any missable trophies, and if so, which and how do I make sure I don't miss them? Thanks in advance!

BeeDog said:
Alright, my copy should arrive tomorrow or the day after, and I have not read anything in regards to this game. :D The only thing I wish to know is this; are there any missable trophies, and if so, which and how do I make sure I don't miss them? Thanks in advance!

As I understand it, nothing is missable; once you beat the game, you're free to roam around and do any side quests you didn't already do.

If you miss a weapon or accessory somewhere along the way, it'll be available in a shop, though you might have to unlock it via one of the side quests.

Bebpo

Banned
runlikehell said:
Post-game impressions (and boss spoilers):

So it only took 43 hours to complete the main story, which isn't bad. The final bosses first phase was much more difficult than the 2nd phase, I think I beat it in about 40 seconds or something. I felt the attack that left you with 5% HP wasn't all that intimidating, the random death attack was though, however.

Not enjoying the missions, I figured post-game the early missions would be simple 5 stars but they have silly time requirements which always leave me with 3 or 4 :( I guess I'll do missions in-between clearing up my new backlog since getting the FF13 Xbox 360... I may even play the 360 version :lol

The goal times are based on how strong your party is. So doing a fight overpowered makes it harder to get 5 star rankings (where your goal is like 5-10 seconds) than doing one underpowered (where you goal is like 10-20 mins).

It's better to do a good chunk of the pulse missions before you advance in ch.11. This is because all the time spent fighting them gradually levels your party up and gets them stronger for higher fights and the main story.

If you complete the main story and then start up the missions, there's not much incentive besides trophies and it'll be harder to get good ranks + the early ones will all be boringly easy.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I just took the game out to put it in the PS3 and so far I've had two surprises; the bottom of the disc is very gleamy and when you highlight the disc in the PS3 I don't get that large background you usually get with PS3-games, only the icon changes to a logo for the game.

I thought this scene in chapter 4 was pretty funny. Gotta love videogames.

Cutscene

Sarah: "Snow it's over..."

Snow: "You can't just drop the breakup bomb like that!"

Sarah: "I'm L'cei, we're enemies now." *runs off, crying*

Snow: *Drops to his knees, also crying* "No..." *Get's up and runs after her*

Control given back to the player

Snow: *pounding his fist into his hand* "Sarah! Sarah where are you!?"

Dra-Q

Banned
Yeah, finally destroyed chapter 5's boss and now I'm at chapter 6... wow, the graphics become better with every stage.

who ever come up with the idea of leader dies = game over need killing really pissing me on and on boss when you done all that work when whoops leader dies

heringer

calder said:
Rather liking the game so far. I feel most of the criticisms about the linearity and so on, but damn is it nice looking and the battles are pretty fun.

One thing that really surprises me is how well they are telling the story. The actual story is ok, some of your expected Square goofy plot shit, but the writing and presentation of the story are excellent, and the cold open even worked for me. They did an especially good job of writing mostly clear, effective dialogue (in a FF game? mind meet boggle) and the story recaps in the datalog reveal just enough backstory without spoiling the stuff you're going to learn in 10 minutes.
The way the story is told is way more clear than what we are used to in Final Fantasy series, I'll give you that, but the writing itself is rather poor actually. Filled with overly dramatic and out of place dialogues. Compared to Final Fantasy XII it's almost embarrassing.

Though the Datalog is very well done and a welcome addition. It's something every story heavy RPG should have.

Anyway I'm enjoying the game so far, the battle system is superb, but I can definitely see where the criticisms come from.

Kyoufu

desu said:
Uhm, what weapon did you use as base for the Omega Weapon?

I used Lionheart.

To answer someone's question about gil farming earlier.

The best place to farm gil is in chapter 13, the area before the final dungeon. You can basically farm up to 400k an hour depending on how fast you can kill the Sacrifice Cieth enemies.

I ended up farming 2.5million gil there for the omega weapon.

Sydle

heringer said:
The way the story is told is way more clear than what we are used to in Final Fantasy series, I'll give you that, but the writing itself is rather poor actually. Filled with overly dramatic and out of place dialogues. Compared to Final Fantasy XII it's almost embarrassing.

Though the Datalog is very well done and a welcome addition. It's something every story heavy RPG should have.

Anyway I'm enjoying the game so far, the battle system is superb, but I can definitely see where the criticisms come from.

You made me think of Balthier just now...

I'm still not over him...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Need some expert advice here.

I've got a bunch of shitty accessories that I'm never gonna wear, and i'm lacking components to upgrade my weapons. Is it better to dismantle said accessories into components or to sell them and buy the components from the shops ?

Chapter 5, almost wasted all of the components leveling up Light's gladius to 10 and i'm pretty much out of items for Snow now.

LowParry

DoctorWho said:
Do Biggs and Wedge show up?

No. I'm still waiting to see if they show up though. If I've missed them...poo. I just want to get into the Hunt missions already! Get everyone's "best" weapon so that I can upgrade the bastards.

Should I just skip on strength upgrades in the crystarium for Hope/Vanille when I can? Isn't that stat pretty much useless for them until they open up the other roles?

Kyoufu

Scythesurge said:
Should I just skip on strength upgrades in the crystarium for Hope/Vanille when I can? Isn't that stat pretty much useless for them until they open up the other roles?

Yeah thats what I did.

chandoog said:
Need some expert advice here.

I've got a bunch of shitty accessories that I'm never gonna wear, and i'm lacking components to upgrade my weapons. Is it better to dismantle said accessories into components or to sell them and buy the components from the shops ?

Chapter 5, almost wasted all of the components leveling up Light's gladius to 10 and i'm pretty much out of items for Snow now.

Honestly, its a bad idea to sell/dismantle accessories unless you know what you're doing. Some accessories cannot be obtained more than once (like the elemental resist ones) so I suggest you find other means of obtaining gil.

TBH though there is no need to upgrade anything until you reach the end of the game. Until then you're hurting for gil/components and the stuff you can upgrade wont make much of a difference.

Let me in

heringer said:
One question: is it worth it to level up equipments in the beginning-middle of the game?

Probably not. I don't think you'll encounter much of a problem from bad weapon choice/lack of upgrades. The game gives you new weapons even late in the game, and I felt like I wasted materials upgrading weapons that I would later discard for a better, more upgradeable weapon.

adamsapple

Kyoufu said:
Yeah thats what I did.

TBH though there is no need to upgrade anything until you reach the end of the game. Until then you're hurting for gil/components and the stuff you can upgrade wont make much of a difference.

Well. Light has an attack rating of 265 or so in my game, and it seems to help a LOT especially on staggered bosses.

But I guess I can save 'em and wait for item drops from enemies.

Kyoufu

Let me in said:
Probably not. I don't think you'll encounter much of a problem from bad weapon choice/lack of upgrades. The game gives you new weapons even late in the game, and I felt like I wasted materials upgrading weapons that I would later discard for a better, more upgradeable weapon.

You probably didn't waste them though, since there are multiple routes you can take when upgrading weapons to get your ultimate weapon...

and in the end, your ultimate weapon's stats depend on which route you took.

desu

heringer said:
One question: is it worth it to level up equipments in the beginning-middle of the game?

Imho not really, you can do it, it might make a few fights a little bit easier but its no groundbreakin difference.

Spruchy

Up to chapter 8, really liking it so far (only took about 7 hours to warm up to). Also glad I bought the CE guide, really well written.

scotcheggz

I decided to do some scrounging about looking for upgrade guides and things and there was not much in English really, but I found a Japanese WIKI with some really nice info, such as amount of EXP needed to reach max lvl for each weapon. This helped me a lot using the 36x Sturdy bone method to reach 3x EXP multiplier, since I could work out exactly how much of what I needed.

36x Sturdy Bone = 3x EXP Multiplier.
At the time, I could only buy the 840gil items, I think they were 774(?) EXP.
I upgraded Axis blade, so I divided 66,750 / 774, and bought the correct amount of items. Dumped them all on the weapon and BAM, 26* lvl axis blade in less than 1 minute. :D

I thought I would translate it. Hope its OK, I know it's not gamefaqs here. I only did Lightnings swords but if it's ok, I'll do the other characters if there is interest. All names are from the english version.

Format goes:

Weapon name: Attack @ highest lvl / Magic @ highest lvl / Ability / Item to change weapon / Amount of XP needed to reach max lvl.

Lightning:

Blazefire Sabre > Flamberge > Omega Weapon.

Blazefire Sabre: 115 / 115 / --- / Pervoskite / 24,600.
Flamberge: 323 / 323 / --- / Trapezohedron / 445,950
Omega Weapon: 620 / 620 / ATB+1 / --- / 1,296,897.

Edged Carbine > Razor Carbine > Omega Weapon.

Edged Carbine: 83 / 170 / --- / Pervoskite / 33,000.
Razor Carbine: 190 / 448 / --- / Trapezohedron / 437,550.
Omega Weapon: 210 / 723 / ATB+1 / --- / 1,296,897.

Gladius > Helter Skelter > Omega Weapon.

Gladius: 175 / 88 / --- / Uraninite / 33,000.
Helter Skelter: 448 / 190 / --- / Trapezohedron / 332,560.
Omega Weapon: 723 / 210 / ATB+1 / --- / 1,380,087.

Axis Blade > Enkindler > Omega Weapon.

Axis Blade: 48 / 48 / ATB charge on hit / Adamantite / 66,750.
Enkindler: 133 / 133 / ATB charge on hit / Trapezohedron / 280,830.
Omega Weapon: 315 / 315 / ATB charge on hit + ATB+1 / --- / 1,419,867.

Lifesaber > Peacemaker > Omega Weapon.

Lifesaber: 88 / 88 / Improved Raise / Scarletite / 70,850.
Peacemaker: 225 / 225 / Imroved Raise / Traezohedron / 236,350.
Omega Weapon: 520 / 520 / Improved Raise + ATB+1 / --- / 1,460,247.

Lionheart > Ultimate Weapon > Omega Weapon.

Lionheart: 68 / 68 / Early Stagger / Scarletite / 63,060.
Ultimate Weapon: 213 / 213 / Early Stagger / Trapezohedron / 221,900.
Omega Weapon: 508 / 508 / Early Stagger + ATB+1 / --- / 1,482,487.

Hauteclaire > Durandal > Omega Weapon.

Hauteclaire: 138 / 138 / Stagger Lock / Uraninite / 54,800.
Durandal: 378 / 378 / Stagger Lock / Trapezohedron / 332,560.
Omega Weapon: 711 / 711 / Stagger Lock + ATB+1 / 1,380,087.

Organyx > Apocalypse > Omega Weapon.

Organyx: 187 / 187 / Leadenstrike / Cobaltite / 20,100.
Apocalypse: 410 / 410 / Ironstrike / Trapezohedron / 233,220.
Omega Weapon: 750 / 750 / Ironstrike + ATB+1 / --- / 1,514,127.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Hyunkel6 said:
What's the most effective way to replenish TP during battles besides items? I never get to use summons during boss battles, since I spend most of my TP on libra, especially for bosses with multiple parts.
You don't need to use Libra more than once on an enemy. It updates its information automatically, even if the enemy changes form. At least that's been my experience so far (in Chapter 7 at the moment).

Mandoric

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Vanille is a much better jammed than fang sadly.

Fang's appeal really is her versatility. Vanille is a far better debuffer and Snow a notably better tank, but good luck making a worthwhile party when you're stuck with those two.

Edit:
Dresden said:
So for those who beat the game, what's the best weapon for Lightning and others? Trying to choose which ones to upgrade.

Personal opinions:
Light: I went with the Gradius tree. Her stats and abilities favor melee to begin with. Lionheart can lead to instant breaks if you're lucky, but I'd rather rely on a constant drumbeat of damage. Hauteclair's power is similar, but I'd rather not give a no-break weapon to someone who could hypothetically be my only Blaster. Accel Blade could hypothetically be a good choice at endgame where its penalty is 1/5 total attack.

Sazh: Oh god so hard to decide the two special effect ones have awesome effects but the rest make up for his otherwise-puny damage. Avoid the buff duration ones, rebuffing honestly isn't a serious issue.

Snow: :lol

Hope: Hawkeye. Upgrading his physical attack is a waste because he doesn't even have physical attacks, and barspell duration... ehh.

Vanille: Belladonna Wand. There are a couple particular debuffs of hers that need all the help they can get, and it's effective for Blasting, too.

Fang: Nimrod Pierce. She's not a Blaster so no break is no big deal, and you want at least some Magic stat on her for when she's debuffing to go with good Attack for, well, attacking.

careful

Did I upgrade terribly wrong or mess up something, because I get destroyed by Odin as soon as the battle starts. I literally don't have time to heal myself before biting the dust.
I start off with Lighting as Medic and Hope as Synergist? to buff my defense. But even Medic/Medic I get owned from the start. WTF

7Th

Mandoric said:
Fang's appeal really is her versatility. Vanille is a far better debuffer and Snow a notably better tank, but good luck making a worthwhile party when you're stuck with those two.

I've found the Lightning, Hope and Vanille party pretty much infallible...

Dresden

careful said:
Did I upgrade terribly wrong or mess up something, because I get destroyed by Odin as soon as the battle starts. I literally don't have time to heal myself before biting the dust.
I start off with Lighting as Medic and Hope as Synergist? to buff my defense. But even Medic/Medic I get owned from the start. WTF
Just focus on healing as Hope buffs, I suppose? Then switch to med/med to heal up and have com/med ready, and use rav/rav to build up chains.

careful said:

You should have at least some time to heal Hope?

You just have to be prepared to constantly shift between offensive and defensive paradigms - which is practically every time Odin attacks.

Using a spray might help.

Bebpo

Banned
Mandoric said:

Uh, Snow was my lead character the entire 2nd half of the game :p

Snow/Sazh/Hope ftw.

adamsapple

scotcheggz said:
Weapon name: Attack @ highest lvl / Magic @ highest lvl / Ability / Item to change weapon / Amount of XP needed to reach max lvl.

Gladius > Helter Skelter > Omega Weapon.

Gladius: 175 / 88 / --- / Uraninite / 33,000.
Helter Skelter: 448 / 190 / --- / Trapezohedron / 332,560.
Omega Weapon: 723 / 210 / ATB+1 / --- / 1,380,087.

Organyx > Apocalypse > Omega Weapon.

Organyx: 187 / 187 / Leadenstrike / Cobaltite / 20,100.
Apocalypse: 410 / 410 / Ironstrike / Trapezohedron / 233,220.
Omega Weapon: 750 / 750 / Ironstrike + ATB+1 / --- / 1,514,127.

I've been spending a lot of time on Gladius but damn this Organyx sword sounds hella lot better, asking for way less EXP too. But seeing it's position in the list I imagine it's a REALLY late game weapon ?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom