• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cloudy said:
Definitely. FFX is my fave and I dropped FFXII after 37 hours cos the story was going nowhere and it just got boring lol

I like this game a lot. Can't say if it'll top X, VII or VIII but it's definitely in that class for me. IX and XII = meh. I did finish IX though....

wat

Cloudy

Banned
DimmuBurgerKing said:

FFX:

Great story
Great music
Great characters
Great battle system

My only gripe with the game was its easiness and shitty blitzball :p

FFIX:

Forgettable characters and plot. WTF was it about again? :lol

ZeoVGM

Banned
Papercuts said:
Pretty much. I had to apply some stat buffing shrouds and just blindly attacked it, made it simple.

Good lord. I'll try that if I die this third time. I mean one of the stats says I could try supporting my ally but that does shit.

hamchan

Cloudy said:
FFX:

Great story
Great music
Great characters
Great battle system

FFIX:

Forgettable characters and plot. WTF was it about again? :lol

wat

FFIX:

Great story
Great music
Great characters
Great battle system

FFVIII:

WTF was it about again?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
omg rite said:
Good lord. I'll try that if I die this third time. I mean one of the stats says I could try supporting my ally but that does shit.

Yeah, mine was the same. I never really focused on that class with him anyway, so the total of 2 buffs he does being used again and again did nothing for the gauge.

Cloudy said:
Great story
Great music
Great characters
Great battle system

IX was a welcome return to classic Final Fantasy form. The (generally) lighthearted mood, the excellent soundtrack, the pseudo-medieval setting. It just has a "homey" vibe that I hadn't felt since VI.

As for X, I liked the music, the battle system, and.. Auron. :p

XIII is shaping up to be one of the good ones. The only character I genuinely dislike is Hope. Snow is growing on me a little, somehow.

Papercuts

omg rite said:
Okay so I think that's 5 tries on the chapter 8 boss.

Don't worry, the chapter 9 boss is much worse. If I don't beat it tomorrow I'm putting this game down for awhile. :\

mAcOdIn

Got this game and am liking it so far, about 23 hours in.

You know, I like the Persona games but it's nice to be doing some life and death shit AND not trying to go to school and act like nothing's going on at the same time.

Just got to finally set my party, I beat the chapter 9 boss but used like nearly all of my stock to upgrade some weapons, I'm going to try the save before it and see if I can do it without the weapons upgraded.

Now that I'm:
Upgrading Weapons
Got A "Summon"
Have A Shitload Of Paradigms
this game is really coming into its own. Swapping Paradigms on the fly with the real time battle system is so tense and satisfying. Really impressed.

ZeroRay

Beat the ch8 boss yesterday; didn't have much trouble. Used a Syn/Sab combo in the beginning to buff/debuff, used com/rav and rav/med for healing. Took 2 tries.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I can't use Odin, it's just Sazh and Vanille.

On that note, DID IT ON TRY #6 HELL YES. And 5-starred it!

I had myself, Sazh, start out as a SYN and Vanille as a SAB to give myself Enthunder and to make him weak against multiple elements. Then it was back to COM/RAV. If the effects on him wore off I went to COM/SAB really fast.

Challenging but fu...

OH MY GOD
SAZH!!!!
WTF.

Oh that fight it took me near 20 minutes. It took forever to stagger and I had to do multiple staggers. I used Sazh Commando with the non elemental magic attack.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BenjaminBirdie said:
So I just started Upgrading Weapons and Accessories.

Any general tips, or am I just so early on it doesn't matter yet?
1, Choose equipment to upgrade.
2, Use 36 Sturdy Bones, Barbed Tails or Vibrant ooze to get a x3 bonus.
3, Use correct amount of a single EXP boosting component to instantly bring it to its maximum level.
4, Return to step 2 and repeat until your weapon is fully upgraded.

The best EXP giving components are: (all EXP boosts are averages)
Ultracompact Reactor - EXP 40,000, Buy Price 50,000
Particle Accelerator - EXP 4,800, Buy Price 10,000
Tesla Turbine - EXP 823, Buy Price 1,800
Super Charger - EXP 774, Buy Price 1,600
Turboprop - EXP 768, Buy Price 1,600

Papercuts said:
Don't worry, the chapter 9 boss is much worse. If I don't beat it tomorrow I'm putting this game down for awhile. :\
This should help you out a bit for the boss.
Use Lightning, Fang, and Vanille. Use the following paradigms for your respective characters:
1. Ravager, Commando, Ravager;
2. Ravager, Commando, Medic
3. Medic, Sentinel, Saboteur
4. Ravager, Sentinel, Medic
You can use more, but these are core.
You can use the first 2 when battling the 4 heads. But after that, you want to try and stagger him as fast as you can while staying safe. So use the 2nd one for the most part. After he does that attack where he charges for a while, use the 3rd one, so that Fang takes damage and Vanille continues to attack to keep the stagger up with Light healing everyone. But while he is charging it (and your party is healed for the most part), switch the the first class and do a lot of damage since you can't be hit while he is charging and it hits everyone.
When he about to do the attack that looks like a beam, switch to the fourth class so that he aims for Fang and Light attacks while Vanille works on healing Fang. And basically rinse, wash, and repeat.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Yoshichan said:
1, Choose equipment to upgrade.
2, Use 36 Sturdy Bones, Barbed Tails or Vibrant ooze to get a x3 bonus.
3, Use correct amount of a single EXP boosting component to instantly bring it to its maximum level.
4, Return to step 2 and repeat until your weapon is fully upgraded.

The best EXP giving components are: (all EXP boosts are averages)
Ultracompact Reactor - EXP 40,000, Buy Price 50,000
Particle Accelerator - EXP 4,800, Buy Price 10,000
Tesla Turbine - EXP 823, Buy Price 1,800
Super Charger - EXP 774, Buy Price 1,600
Turboprop - EXP 768, Buy Price 1,600

WUT.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Can someone explain how exactly to do an infinite juggle?

I tried to time my attacks, but inevitably he'll hit the ground and poop, it's over. I'm trying to grind the King Behemoth without him transforming.

My understanding is this:

Attack to launch, and then Ruin with the rest of the ATB.
Your teammates RAV attacks should keep him in the air.
Wait until he gets near the ground and then attack to launch again and repeat.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious though.

Nose Master

Papercuts said:
Giving up for tonight at the chapter 9 boss. Don't see the average player actually passing this immensely retarded boss based more on luck than anything else.

He was a joke. Fang/Hope/Sazh. Sab/Syn/Syn to buff as much as possible, switch to sen/syn/syn if you start getting rocked. Switch to com/rav/rav. When he is staggered, switch to com/rav/com. Repeat. Summon if you get in trouble.

The above strategy actually made the game too easy, so I switched to Lightning/Vanille/Sazh. God I miss protect/shell. I'm damn near dying with max crystariminuimizzlewoozle and maxed weapons :lol :lol :lol

firehawk12 said:
Can someone explain how exactly to do an infinite juggle?

I tried to time my attacks, but inevitably he'll hit the ground and poop, it's over. I'm trying to grind the King Behemoth without him transforming.

My understanding is this:

Attack to launch, and then Ruin with the rest of the ATB.
Your teammates RAV attacks should keep him in the air.
Wait until he gets near the ground and then attack to launch again and repeat.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious though.

Haste makes it a lot easier.

Additionally, you can just grind on the one fighting with the giant wolf near the tunnel zone entrance. It starts at half health so, you can prolly kill it with the initial stagger off the preemptive.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Ballistictiger said:
Don't worry about that till later on :lol

Well here's a few questions about upgrading:

a) Does every single weapon you can find/buy transform into a new weapon when you max it out?

b) Do those weapons also transform or when you max those out, that's it?

c) Do accessories transform into new items when you max them out?

d) Are there any "ultimate" accessories?

desu

Kyoufu said:
How is it that I have an OMEGA WEAPON for Lightning and I still do barely any more damage than a beginner weapon?

I don't get it :/

Uhm, what weapon did you use as base for the Omega Weapon?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
omg rite said:

a) Does every single weapon you can find/buy transform into a new weapon when you max it out?

All weapons have two transforms to get to the "ultimate weapon" stage.

Nose Master said:
Haste makes it a lot easier.

Additionally, you can just grind on the one fighting with the giant wolf near the tunnel zone entrance. It starts at half health so, you can prolly kill it with the initial stagger off the preemptive.

That's the one I'm trying. I can't keep him in the air and he still transforms. :(

Am I doing it right though? My COM will relaunch the guy into the air if he's close enough to the ground?

I guess I need to launch, switch to someone with Haste and hope to god he casts it on my COM, then switch back to attacking.

Funny thing is I can't even find a video of someone doing this. Every video I've seen the guy is so overpowered that he finishes the King Behemoth right after staggering him, so it's like no juggling required.

Nose Master

firehawk12 said:
All weapons have two transforms to get to the "ultimate weapon" stage.

That's the one I'm trying. I can't keep him in the air and he still transforms. :(

Am I doing it right though? My COM will relaunch the guy into the air if he's close enough to the ground?

I guess I need to launch, switch to someone with Haste and hope to god he casts it on my COM, then switch back to attacking.

Funny thing is I can't even find a video of someone doing this. Every video I've seen the guy is so overpowered that he finishes the King Behemoth right after staggering him, so it's like no juggling required.

Just start the fight with Sazh out and wait for him to Haste everyone. The pre-emptive 99% stagger lasts for like twenty seconds. You can't really infinitely juggle without everyone haste'd, I'd think.

omg rite said:

c) Do accessories transform into new items when you max them out?

d) Are there any "ultimate" accessories?
A) Yes but all turn into the same ultimate weapon with different stats and ability depending on what weapon you upgraded.

B) You can transform them when the level is maxed with a stone, the stone can be bought.

C) Yes they do but don't max out those pointless accessories.

D) Yes there are, Sprint shoes (Auto Haste), Growth Egg (2x AP/EXP for the whole party!), Gold Watch (Increase target time, useful for rare item hunting since 5 stars = 5% chance of drop according to Japanese version players), Genji Gloves (Break damage limit, to get that trophy), Best Choice (Increase rare item drop rate by 1% according to Japanese version players)

Papercuts

Nose Master said:
He was a joke. Fang/Hope/Sazh. Sab/Syn/Syn to buff as much as possible, switch to sen/syn/syn if you start getting rocked. Switch to com/rav/rav. When he is staggered, switch to com/rav/com. Repeat. Summon if you get in trouble.

The above strategy actually made the game too easy, so I switched to Lightning/Vanille/Sazh. God I miss protect/shell. I'm damn near dying with max crystariminuimizzlewoozle and maxed weapons :lol :lol :lol

I guess I'll mess around with it. I've actually been using Lightning, Vanille, and Sazh for this so I'll try other combos. It's still incredibly annoying to die because of the AI bunching together when a bunch of AoE attacks come in, I've gone from full health to dead a few times from that.

Nose Master

Papercuts said:
I guess I'll mess around with it. I've actually been using Lightning, Vanille, and Sazh for this so I'll try other combos. It's still incredibly annoying to die because of the AI bunching together when a bunch of AoE attacks come in, I've gone from full health to dead a few times from that.

Hope makes a huge, sad difference with Protect/Shell. It's bullshit that he's the only one that can learn them, feasibly.

EDIT: Also... you're breaking his armor off, first, right?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Ballistictiger said:
A) Yes but all turn into the same ultimate weapon with different stats and ability depending on what weapon you upgraded.

Ah, so for Lightning every weapon turns into Omega Weapon but with different stats? Is there like a "best version" of it you can get?

B) You can transform them when the level is maxed with a stone, the stone can be bought.

That's good. I thought it was something that automatically happened when you maxed out.

The freak in me might have to. :lol One of the achievements is to hold every item so wouldn't one have to max out accessories to get certain other ones?

D) Yes there are, Sprint shoes (Auto Haste), Growth Egg (2x AP/EXP for the whole party!), Gold Watch (Increase target time, useful for rare item hunting since 5 stars = 5% chance of drop according to Japanese version players), Genji Gloves (Break damage limit, to get that trophy), Best Choice (Increase rare item drop rate by 1% according to Japanese version players)

So what accessories would I have to upgrade to get those? Or perhaps they can just be found/bought.

I really care about the Growth Egg though. Where do I get that?

omg rite said:
Ah, so for Lightning every weapon turns into Omega Weapon but with different stats? Is there like a "best version" of it you can get?

That's good. I thought it was something that automatically happened when you maxed out.

The freak in me might have to. :lol One of the achievements is to hold every item so wouldn't one have to max out accessories to get certain other ones?

So what accessories would I have to upgrade to get those? Or perhaps they can just be found/bought.

I really care about the Growth Egg though. Where do I get that?

Growth Egg - doubles CP earned
(obtained during mission 55)

To get to mission 55 you will have to complete missions 1-15 to get a
Chocobo

These accessories have to be earned.

Hermes boots can be upgraded to sprint shoes and to get it you have to disassemble a tetra crown or tetra tiara I think.

Gold Watch - increases target times for all battles
(obtained by beating the last side mission)

Genji Gloves - break damage limit
(obtained during each of the two 'second-to-last' side missions)

Best choice can be upgraded from the item good choice which is sold in a store later on.

I have gotten none of these btw. I researched it all from forums. Sadly hardly any website have any info.

Worry about getting all item and accessory when you are rich later on. BTW Keep all the elemental rings, you can't buy them and those items are necessary to upgrade for that trophy.

Edit: It's going to take me months to platinum this game but hey there are hardly any games in the summer that I'm looking forward to. Probably not even going to get any games in the summer.

K' Dash

Ballistictiger said:

What stone is this? the name I mean...

Ballistictiger said:
Growth Egg - doubles CP earned
(obtained during mission 55)

To get to mission 55 you will have to complete missions 1-15 to get a
Chocobo

When you talk about missions, are you refering about Cie'th stone missions?

Peff

omg rite said:

Not really. The one you upgrade from the Gladius has the highest attack power, others have very good magic stats, very good abilities... it depends on what role you want Lightning to be most of the time. If you want her to be a COM a lot, you'll want the Gladius, a RAV needs high magic power, etc.

EDIT: ^First tier is different for every weapon, second is tropezahedron.

K' Dash said:
What stone is this? the name I mean...
Here's website much easier

http://ff-13.info/Lightning-Sword/

Trapezohedron is a stone for ultimate weapon and it cost about 2 million in the store or you can get it from large adamantoise with a 1% chance. 5% if you get 5 star rating, 6% if you have Best chance accessory equiped and 5 star rating. The website shows the stones for other upgrades as well.

Well off to bed.

I found most of my info from this forum
http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10241

From people who played the Japanese version.

K' Dash

Ballistictiger said:
Here's website much easier

http://ff-13.info/Lightning-Sword/

Trapezohedron is a stone for ultimate weapon and it cost about 2 million in the store or you can get it from large adamantoise with a 1% chance. 5% if you get 5 star rating, 6% if you have Best chance accessory equiped and 5 star rating. The website shows the stones for other upgrades as well.

Thank you very much.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Items spoilers:
Is the connoisser catalog worth it? Also, what stone do I need to upgrade Hermes sandals? I've read mnar but it doesn't work. What about the stone I need to upgrade the tetratic crown?

Ricker

The grind of chapter 5 and 6 don`t seem as bad now that I reached chapter 7,pretty great in that chapter,and again,wow at the graphics in this game,it`s almost like you are playing a CG,so beautiful.

I was a little upset that after getting the Gladius to level 2(which is still low I presume lol) that when I found a new weapon and used the optimise offense option,it switched for the new one...no upgrade from now on till later.

How can anyone stand running around the ch 11 area for missions? It's the most brain numbing activity holding the analog stick up for 1-2 mins straight just to reach a mission point or target. I quickly gave up on any idea of doing things post-game. From what I've seen on youtube, I'm not missing anything anyway.

Not to mention the soul crushingly stupid grinding.

Oh well, on to Resonance of Fate.

Aspiring

Finally started playing this today even though i have had it since launch. Great game. Only an hour or so in so far
just got inside that big thing and playing as Snow

A few things though. I keep getting all these items, such as an iron bangle, and pheonix down as well as others. But it wont let me use or equip them. What are they for?

Other than that i feel its a blast. I can see why some people may not like it. So far it is essentially on rails. Its just corridor after corridor with enemies. But to me the game is just setting itself up. I am enjoying it anyway, the battle system is top notch. Not as good as Tales battle system, but still very good.

Oh and graphically i am impressed. As good as the FMV is, the only way i could not tell it was in game graphics was the texture detail. Superb Square. And might i just say those FMV's are just beautiful. I think i heard the PS3 displays them in full 1080, and man there just drop dead sexy.

Anyway my PS3 controller just run out of batteries, so cant play more but so far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom