• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Hey, I'm only one hour in so I can't really say anything about the story in FFXIII as a whole yet, all I'm saying is that I'm already somewhat fed up with the "I'm a heeeero!" comments with their accompanying and oh so dramatic clenched fists.

Dresden

WanderingWind said:
I'm still debating whether or not I'm actually playing FFXIII.
Not this shit again.

itsinmyveins said:
Hey, I'm only one hour in so I can't really say anything about the story in FFXIII as a whole yet, all I'm saying is that I'm already somewhat fed up with the "I'm a heeeero!" comments with their accompanying and oh so dramatic clenched fists.
He's doing that because he's a naive dudebro dumbass. He and his friends are all idiots, that's what they are and that's why, in the beginning, pretty much everyone he tries to protect dies. :lol

I'm not going to pretend that XIII has some incredible writing, but it certainly isn't bad.

LowParry

itsinmyveins said:

You're playing a JRPG. Are you expecting anything less? :lol And there are other lines that cripple the hero talk. Cringe worthy.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
itsinmyveins said:

Don't worry, that specific character is meant to act like a douche.

Cep

Banned
CcrooK said:
My point is, leave the ME2 shit out...

Well that was a rather poor way of saying that. Many of ME2's characters are impressive, leagues better than most FF (though not JRPGs exactly).

As for ME2's plot:

:lol :lol :lol

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
itsinmyveins said:

I just got done running in one direction for two hours (whitegap forest), so admittedly I'm a little bitter right now, but so far, 15 hours in, be prepared for the worst.

Again, it's pretty and the music is halfway decent. So, there are some good things about it.

itsinmyveins

CcrooK said:
You're playing a JRPG. Are you expecting anything less? :lol And there are other lines that cripple the hero talk. Cringe worthy.

I should have expected that and that's why I mentioned ME2 earlier (which I do think has a solid world with all its details and background as well as a decent main story -- but let's not get into that here). Had I just come out of another J-RPG I probably wouldn't have reacted as much.

Cep

Banned
WanderingWind said:
I just got done running in one direction for two hours (whitegap forest), so admittedly I'm a little bitter right now, but so far, 15 hours in, be prepared for the worst.

Again, it's pretty and the music is halfway decent. So, there are some good things about it.

And I sort of agree(though I have only been bumming time with the game from my roommate), but there are better ways to air out your annoyance.

Dresden

itsinmyveins said:
I should have expected that and that's why I mentioned ME2 earlier (which I do think has a solid world with all its details and background as well as a decent main story -- but let's not get into that here). Had I just come out of another J-RPG I probably wouldn't have reacted as much.
If you want to be deflated on ME2, just go check out the ME2's story discussion thread. The snobbish WRPG crones will destroy your enthusiasm for the 'plot.' And that's a good thing.

Anyways, I'm beginning to think that Fang is the hottest female character in the game. I thought it'd be Vanille, but damn, dathair.

K' Dash

Need help:

Is it normal that almos all the big monsters in Gran Pulse are kicking my ass? I killed a Kaiser Behemot for a Cie'th stone mission but had to rethink my strategy like 5 or 6 times, is there a way to stager it before the beast stands up and regenerates?

Also, people keep saying that I'll get tons of money for missions but I only get materials/accesories, are there other missions besides the Cie'th Stones, now I decided to continue with the story and found a branching path in a cavern where there was this Boss, a mechanical fucker that keeps killing (more like raping) me.

Seriously people, dificulty ramps up a bit too much once you reach pulse, I don't feel I'm geting stronger as I fill up the crystarium, cause every fucking mosnter is a pain in the ass to kill.

40 hours in, in case you were wondering, and generally I grind and fight anything that moves, but here on pulse, I started to choose my fights :lol

Suggestions?

LowParry

itsinmyveins said:

Too bad you didn't start out with Star Ocean 4. Then you'd of come into FFXIII with some high appreciation. Like....way high appreciation. I just don't get localization some times.

Cep

Banned
Dresden said:
If you want to be deflated on ME2, just go check out the ME2's story discussion thread. The snobbish WRPG crones will destroy your enthusiasm for the 'plot.' And that's a good thing.

Anyways, I'm beginning to think that Fang is the hottest female character in the game. I thought it'd be Vanille, but damn, dathair.

We resent that.

And yes, Fang is hot. I have been saying she is one of the best Nomura has done since she was revealed.

Threi

notag
and yeah this game is totally FF8-2.

just barely tolerable story (At least it isn't a Tales/SO4) with an amazing battle system.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Ch. 4:
Just beat Dreadnaught in like 3 mins and only got 4 Stars, blah.

Anyhow, I got Weapon Upgrade capability, I keep hearing I should wait until the later chapters to bother upgrading. Is that true?

Cep

Banned
Threi said:

just barely tolerable story (At least it isn't a Tales/SO4) with an amazing battle system.

Nothing should be slashed with SO4. Nothing!

LowParry

Threi said:

But it doesn't have a strange/techno/wtf/is this for real?/ chocobo theme.

Nose Master

I really don't think people understand how awesome Protect/Shell is. I haven't seen a single person who was using it post about having trouble with 9 or 11's bosses. :lol

Zzoram

reilo said:
Ch. 4:
Just beat Dreadnaught in like 3 mins and only got 4 Stars, blah.

Anyhow, I got Weapon Upgrade capability, I keep hearing I should wait until the later chapters to bother upgrading. Is that true?

It takes a ton of XP to make the weapons useful, and you won't have enough components to upgrade much early on. Later you unlock stores that let you buy components and can grind gil fast so you can afford those components.

Majine

Banned
My controller is full of sweat. My hands are trembling. I can't do this anymore. Been stuck 2 days on the chapter 9 boss, and he is tempting my very will to continue playing this fucking game. I thought I would be finished with the whole thing when God of War 3 hits, but this is like driving into a brickwall.

Threi said:

Well one that would be under the assumption that FF8's story was tolerable at all, and two this game doesn't use coincidences and rug sweeping to explain all of the plot points which the game revolve around.

Got to chapter 10 today. I don't know what was so hard about the chapter 9 boss. I beat it on my first try, even after nerfing myself with the same Paradigm taking up two slots :lol.

I had a lot more trouble with the one on Chapter 5.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
itsinmyveins said:

That is annoying, but he is gone for a good chunk of the game early on.
On the other hand, all the rest of characters (except Vanille) probably have the best voicing, acting & characterization of any FF game (and possibly any jRPG).
It's like FFXII's superior take on the the jRPG characters that act & talk like real humans & not some Japanese animu. Only this time there is a story & character depth.

LowParry

Nose Master said:
I really don't think people understand how awesome Protect/Shell is. I haven't seen a single person who was using it post about having trouble with 9 or 11's bosses. :lol

Haste/Faith/Bravery is love.

Zzoram

Nose Master said:

I really resent that they made Hope the most useful caster when he's the most annoying character.

LowParry

Majine said:
My controller is full of sweat. My hands are trembling. I can't do this anymore. Been stuck 2 days on the chapter 9 boss, and he is tempting my very will to continue playing this fucking game. I thought I would be finished with the whole thing when God of War 3 hits, but this is like driving into a brickwall.

My suggestion without spoilers. Start from left to right. After that, full on offense.

FTWer said:
On the other hand, all the rest of characters (except Vanille) probably have the best voicing, acting & characterization of any FF game (and possibly any jRPG).
It's like FFXII's superior take on the the jRPG characters that act & talk like real humans & not some Japanese animu. Only this time there is a story & character depth.

You mention FFXII and best VA in the same sentence but don't use them together?

And characterization? lol

Cep

Banned
FTWer said:

This post is just made of crazy.

Zzoram said:
ME2's character's >>> FFXIII's

Mordin and Thane>Final Fantasy XIII's characters>the rest of the Mass Effect 2 cast.

Both games have great casts, but Mordin and Thane were the only characters in ME2 who really stood out as amazing, while I love everyone in Final Fantasy XIII.

Hy_

itsinmyveins said:

Don't read until Chapter 8 if you're sensitive about spoilers

After the first three chapters I was like,
"Snow is one delusional fuck. He can't protect anyone." Seems like he is less "I'm the hero" and more of a realist after his altercation with Hope. Have to play further to see if it sticks.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Mordin, Garrus, Tali, and Legion>Final Fantasy XIII's characters minus Snow>the rest of the Mass Effect 2 cast. > Snow

Both games have great casts, but Mordin and Thane were the only characters in ME2 who really stood out as amazing, while I love everyone in Final Fantasy XIII.

Fixed.

Zzoram

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Mordin and Thane>Final Fantasy XIII's characters>the rest of the Mass Effect 2 cast.

How can you say that about Hope and Vanille?

Sazh is the only character I like.

Zzoram

marathonfool said:
Are Strength and Magic pure offensive stats? I was wondering if casting Bravery helps with physical defense. Else I'm just gonna use Protect.

They're purely offensive stats.

For elemental melee attacks, does it draw from both stats?

Zoe

I'm playing the English version at a friend's...

Is Yuj Vaan??? :lol :lol :lol

The little changes in the interface and stuff kinda bother me :\

It occurred to me why they changed it so you can't move while the smoke menu is open now though. Now that you use the analog stick in the menus, there's no way to move while a menu is open :(

itsinmyveins

Dresden said:

The main story in ME2 is rather short, ontop of it being the sequel in a trilogy (?). A lot of it comes from doing the sidequest and loyalty missions. But the thing that impresses me with that game is the amount of background info and detail about the ME-universe. If there are some plot holes there then I don't mind because I never spotted any while I played.

Anyways, now I'm off to start chapter two in FFXIII!

K' Dash

Chapter 11:

frustration.jpg

I don't even feel I'm leveling up, I feel up the crystarium, use buff debuff, set all kinds of strategies and can't for love of all that is good defeat most of the big monters, fucking behemots stand up, fucking regenerate themselves and kill me in ONE HIT!!!!!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

SpokkX

Dresden said:
Please. Mass Effect 2's story isn't any better than Final Fantasy's. OMGREAPERS+tons of plotholes and continuity problems. The narrative in ME2 was driven by the characters, not the actual plot (of which there wasn't much, anyhow).
:lol

Well the characters are a BIG part of every story and the dialogue in FF13 is passable at best.
Sure there are some good voice actors but the writing is melodramatic, angsty and very teenage-oriented.Really the cutscenes in chapter 7 were pretty much all cringe-worthy

This really is a FF8/FF10 sequel... the two worst FF imo.

After FF12 this game is just embarrasing when it comes to game structure (corridor gameplay if I ever saw it). The battle system is really fun though, too bad nothing else is as good

Hy_

Threi said:

It's been more FF X-3 for me. But seriously, the combat feels like the evolution of the dress sphere. I wonder at one time in development if the characters themselves actually changed clothes during paradigm shifts, but it was so frantic that they decided against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom