• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ashbash159 said:
I NEED help!

I have spent about 3 hours trying to kill the Chapter 9 boss.

I have followed about 3 pieces of advice from guides on the internet.

I have tried my own combinations now that I know how the boss plays out.

3 HOURS and still no luck.

The furthest I've got to is quarter health left on the boss.

Can someone give some good advice.

I'll give you a Blur beta code if I find out I can beat it. (Don't even know if the beta's on any more.)

HOLY FUUUUUCK

I finally beat it, jesus...here's what I did:

Lightning/Sazh/Hope. Start off with Com/Syn/Med and let Sazh buff everyone, especially with Haste. Then switch over to Syn for Hope, you can make Lightning a medic if you want but I didn't. Then he casts Shell and Protect which helped me a ton.

After that it really isn't that hard, when you get to the second phase and he's about to do that move I quickly switched to a Med/Syn/Med set and made sure everyone was healed, then did Com/Com/Rav for a second right to Rav/Rav/Rav to try and stagger. After the attack I went back to Med/Syn/Med to make sure everyone is in good shape, I didn't have to revive a single person.

Hope this helps, because I know what an asshole that boss can be. With a different setup(I had Lighning/Sazh/Vanille before) it was next to impossible. The AI can still be sketchy and bunch up, but that's just another reason why shell and protect are so good here. Also when I beat it the AI all spread out, but there's no way to control that anyway.

darkwings

Banned
I wish SE had released a PC version of this game. I don't see why not since PC sales does not really cut into console versions and FFXIII was developed on the PC. I would love the extra resolution and maybe added graphical effects.

Peff

ashbash159 said:
Thanks for the advice, I will try this straight away. Do you want the Blur beta (Xbox 360)?

FAKE EDIT: One thing...
you say "Use COM/RAV/COM once you have staggered him and built a good % to make some great dam...", but there is no COM/RAV/COM. I'm assuming that the third layout is this and is not meant to be COM/RAV/SEN.

Oh yeah... I might try maxing out my crystarium since is so very close.

Yes, that's right, but it should be the fourth since saboteur is to be used for a short time (I think he's only vulnerable to slow so the SAB will stop doing anything).

And yes, the -strike attacks are physical. One of the COM's attacks is magical too.

Sydle

jabipun said:
Thinking about getting this.

As far the complaints - I always kind of hated large towns. They always slow the pace down and a large town is just a glorified means to talk to a bunch of people and go to place X to further engage the story.

Anyway, I have a 360 and PS3. Which version should I get this for?

I hate multiple discs, but the trophy system sucks on the PS3. Achievements are better.

Yes I'm an idiot.

So anway, no need for trolling - just be honest and detail the 'factual' differences between the versions. I'm not looking for an intricate debate.

No towns and you can talk to very few NPC's. There's hardly any breaks between corridors, which can feel a bit tedious.

You might cringe at some of the CG scenes on 360. One instance immediately reminded me of the grainy CG from the PS1 games, tbh. Others aren't so bad. In any case, it's apparent that Square didn't put much effort into porting the CG over. Fortunately, most of the cut scenes are in game and I think the two versions look nearly identical in that respect.

I can't believe people are still on about multiple discs. Unless you power through one game at a time for upwards of 10 hours a sitting then I can't comprehend the big fucking deal.

Peff said:
Yes, that's right, but it should be the fourth since saboteur is to be used for a short time (I think he's only vulnerable to slow so the SAB will stop doing anything).

And yes, the -strike attacks are physical. One of the COM's attacks is magical too.
Do you want the Blur beta (Xbox 360)?

Hy_

Dedication Through Light said:
My Hope is great as a Raveger.

And yeah, the guide has a Trophy/Achievement Guide

Yep, same here. He's a pretty good medic too. Better than Vanille? Not sure
(chartz!)

Wanted my main party to be Fang, Lightning, and Sahz... But Sahz seems like a jack-of-all trades, similar to Lightning. Needed a more magic oriented character like Vanille or Hope. I find Vanille extremely annoying, maybe more than even Tiduz and Yuna combined, and Hope became less annoying after his
revelation with Snow.
So he got the job.

I think I'm nearing the end of Chapter 7 now and man, those
gatling gun motorcycles
were a BITCH. I can't believe how cheap they were! I had to burn through 2 of my fortisol just to make it through that area. grrr!

So far this has been my favorite chapter overall, though.

Llyranor

Actually, go here if you want to read more about comparisons: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388018

Just finished chap7, good stuff.

DigitalDevil said:
I think I'm nearing the end of Chapter 7 now and man, those
gatling gun motorcycles
were a BITCH. I can't believe how cheap they were! I had to burn through 2 of my fortisol just to make it through that area. grrr!

So far this has been my favorite chapter overall, though.
That's what sentinels are for! They telegraph their attack pretty early, so gives you plenty of time to guard.

Somewhere around the middle of chapter 11. Just beat
Vanille's eidolon.
I wasted like 10 hours or so before moving on and I only did like 6 missions. I bet it took a year or two alone just to develop Pulse. I'm almost scared to think what Versus will be like.

Castor Krieg said:
You don't fight him, however you interact with him during some missions

Awwww :(

DMeisterJ

Banned
ashbash159 said:
I NEED help!

I have spent about 3 hours trying to kill the Chapter 9 boss.

I have followed about 3 pieces of advice from guides on the internet.

I have tried my own combinations now that I know how the boss plays out.

3 HOURS and still no luck.

The furthest I've got to is quarter health left on the boss.

Can someone give some good advice.

I'll give you a Blur beta code if I find out I can beat it. (Don't even know if the beta's on any more.)

I used Lightning/Vanille/Hope

My Paradigms

Com/Rav/Rav
Com/Med/Syn (Uses this when you first start for shell/protect (THESE ARE NECESSARY))
Com/sab/rav
Com/sab/med
Com/rav/syn
Com/med/med

Star off with what I said above, then switch to com/sab/rav to debuff whatever part you are fighting. Once they are debuffed, go com/rav/rav and switch between that and com/med/rav to keep the combo going up and to be healed. If you get too low, go com/med/med. Once two parts are down, he will go into the mode where he spams thundaga/firaga and stuff, and by that time, you WILL need some more buffs, so go back to com/med/syn to make sure you have health. And make sure you as lightning are spamming potions because he will be interrupting Vanille's healing from time to time. Once you're back buffed, go com/sab/med to debuff the part you are fighting, then switch between com/rav/med and com/med/med to make sure you are full on health and still attacking. Once you take the other two parts down, go back to com/med/syn to re-buff, then com/rav/med to debuff, and com/rav/rav to fight. He just spams ruin and a few other moves so this part isn't that bad.

When his head is down and he is charging, go com/rav/rav and attack until he groans. That's the key. As long as he groans and you have full health and are buffed, you will survive the attack, and just rinse and repeat.

jabipun said:
Better visuals? Better sound? Faster loading? Etc.

If the versions are identical in terms of visuals - I'll pick up the 360 version.
I think they used a lower resoution to get some of the effects working in the 360 version. Also the CG is in 1080P vs the 360s 720P. The 360 is servicable so if you want your achievements.

jabipun said:
Better visuals? Better sound? Faster loading? Etc.

If the versions are identical in terms of visuals - I'll pick up the 360 version.

I played both recently and the 360 version is blurry compared to the ps3 version, plays fine just much more blurry gameplay wise.

darkwings said:
I wish SE had released a PC version of this game. I don't see why not since PC sales does not really cut into console versions and FFXIII was developed on the PC. I would love the extra resolution and maybe added graphical effects.

And maybe the ability to use a mouse?

*Salivates non-stop at the idea*

painey

near end game is satisying as hell, dominating people with insanely high damage, although I dont like the 9,999 limits being removed from the old games, it gave you a sense of real achievement to get 9,999

jabipun

dreamer3kx said:
I played both recently and the 360 version is blurry compared to the ps3 version, plays fine just much more blurry gameplay wise.

Cool.

PS3 version it is.

I was only half-joking with the trophy vs. achievement thing guys, both are identical.

Although the 360 sound effect for the achievements is better >.>

jiggle

how soon should i start upgrading weapons?
i'm at chap5, is it worth it to start now when i'm finding new weapons in chests?

and where do ppl get gils?
i didn't spend 1 gil since the beginning and still only have like $3800
should i sell some components?

edit: quite enjoying the game, although it's quite exhausting without the usual town break.

sillik

Banned
Just had my first FF13 experience, not sure what to think of it just yet. Its not clear to me WHY they changed half the things they did. It certainly plays faster, but at the same time the "streamlined" dungeons feel like a drag, to the point where i was bored after 40 minutes. So little gameplay, all i'm doing is auto-attack, auto-attack, auto-attack. Apperantly the game opens up in a big way when hitting the endgame, so i'll definitely sit it out till then, but at the moment the game is not really scratching my rpg itch.

Music and design wise its great, which bums me out even more when i realize there's no exploration. I guess i feel a bit cheated by the game's content, concidering how long it has been under development.

The completist geek in me will make sure i'll turn this game inside out but man, what a letdown for this generation's Premiere rpg.

So guys I'm around 9 hours in. Is it worthwhile to upgrade the weapons I got at this point? Light's Blazefire Sabre is lv 7, but I'm thinking about upgrading Hope's weapon too...I'm worried I just might get a newer fancier weapon right after I spend rare items upgrading the old one.
jiggle said:
i'm at chap5, is it worth it to start now when i'm finding new weapons in chests?

I'm in Chap 4, and I got 2,100 gil. We're in the same boat D:

Hy_

painey said:
near end game is satisying as hell, dominating people with insanely high damage, although I dont like the 9,999 limits being removed from the old games, it gave you a sense of real achievement to get 9,999

IIRC, FFX removed 9,999 caps first. I'm no where near that level of damage but when I would hit 9,999 caps in previous FF I felt the characters themselves also hit a cap and didn't feel motivated to improve them any further. Removing the cap could also bring DLC for tougher bosses and a higher Crystarium level.

edgefusion

I did a little googling but I can't seem to get a definitive answer on this; what drops Trapezohedron? Is it the Adamanchelid (normal giant turtles) or the King Adamanchelid (Giant giant turtle)?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I just finished Mass Effect 2 earlier today and going from there to the story in Final Fantasy XIII is like a hard slap in the face :lol

acevans2

Main Menu question:
How did I unlock this "Extras" selection on the start menu? I have a Sazh theme that I can install now. What do you do to unlock more?

Peff

acevans2 said:
Main Menu question:
How did I unlock this "Extras" selection on the start menu? I have a Sazh theme that I can install now. What do you do to unlock more?

You scanned 100 enemies. There are six more.

Chapter 11 is FUN!. Finding new enemies and trying your luck only to win a ton of CP=Great :D

acevans2 said:
Main Menu question:
The Extras are related to Achievements/Trophies. 360 got gamerpics and PS3 have XMB themes i guess.

Silent Death

lemme get one or two licks
acevans2 said:
Main Menu question:

You got the Sazh theme for getting the Loremaster trophy. Other themes are opened up when you get there trophy.

Xevren

edgefusion said:
I did a little googling but I can't seem to get a definitive answer on this; what drops Trapezohedron? Is it the Adamanchelid (normal giant turtles) or the King Adamanchelid (Giant giant turtle)?

The ones with the chains/tusks on them, two different kinds but both have the same drops.

Dresden

itsinmyveins said:
I just finished Mass Effect 2 earlier today and going from there to the story in Final Fantasy XIII is like a hard slap in the face :lol
Please. Mass Effect 2's story isn't any better than Final Fantasy's. OMGREAPERS+tons of plotholes and continuity problems. The narrative in ME2 was driven by the characters, not the actual plot (of which there wasn't much, anyhow).

Now that I reached Chapter 8, I must say that all of the bosses in this game have been relatively easy. I dont think Ive had to actually retry any. The only annoying enemies were those flysing PSICOM Aerial Snipers (the MSLR attack is annoying). Though at Chapter 7 boss with 400,000+ HP was a surprise!!!

Threi

notag
For the record, the Odin fight is considered hard right? I mean I know the stipulation to win, but the only way i beat it was I was lucky enough that Lightning grew a brain and stayed out of Odin's way when he attacked hope, allowing me to switch between rav/med and med/rav continually. Did anyone else have problems or was it just a bit of bad luck on my end? Everything until that fight was extremely easy btw.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Dresden said:
Please. Mass Effect 2's story isn't any better than Final Fantasy's. OMGREAPERS+tons of plotholes and continuity problems. The narrative in ME2 was driven by the characters, not the actual plot (of which there wasn't much, anyhow).

At least ME2 had a story.

Zzoram

I've decided that I like the exclusion of towns for most of the game. However, I still feel that there should've been more gameplay variety. Chapter 8 was a perfect opportunity to create a "Golden Saucer" type place to hang out and play minigames while listening to cool Chocobo music, but they didn't do it. Also, Chapter 4 either needed to be cut or have some fun minigames put in the middle of it.

Silent Death

lemme get one or two licks
Peff said:
You scanned 100 enemies. There are six more.

Chapter 11 is FUN!. Finding new enemies and trying your luck only to win a ton of CP=Great :D

i had the funniest moment when i first got there. I see one of those gigantic beasts so i run up to it to start a fight. The battle loads, Lightning runs up to it. It raises it's leg and and stomps Lightning,. Game over, :lol . Whole fight took 3 seconds max. I laughed my ass off at that.

Arjen

First Final Fantasy ever for me, turn based gameplay and weird androgyn dudes with even weirder hairdo always had be back off as far away from jrpg's as possible.
But i decided to give this one a go.
I'm really enjoying it so far, it's not that 'bad' as i expected :lol

Zzoram

Dresden said:

ME2's character's >>> FFXIII's

Threi said:
For the record, the Odin fight is considered hard right? I mean I know the stipulation to win, but the only way i beat it was I was lucky enough that Lightning grew a brain and stayed out of Odin's way when he attacked hope, allowing me to switch between rav/med and med/rav continually. Did anyone else have problems or was it just a bit of bad luck on my end? Everything until that fight was extremely easy btw.

I lost to him a few times till i used Hope to cast Protect/Shell then switched between COM/MED and COM/RAV as needed. Having protect/shell helped alot. I won the first time i used that way. No other bosses have caused me any trouble, I'm at the start of Chap7.

Zzoram

Arjen said:
First Final Fantasy ever for me, turn based gameplay and weird androgyn dudes with even weirder hairdo always had be back off as far away from jrpg's as possible.
But i decided to give this one a go.
I'm really enjoying it so far, it's not that 'bad' as i expected :lol

FFXIII is a lot less awful in characters/stories than most JRPGs with voice acting. The combat is also a lot faster paced. I think both of those were design decisions, possibly to boost sales in the West.

Durante

Dresden said:
I was about to post something similar.

Threi said:
It's the first hard fight in the game.

Any gaffers that played both this and white knight chronicles prefer wkc better? This game just ain't doing it for me, but I need something to give me my jrpg fix

Hy_

jiggle said:

edit: quite enjoying the game, although it's quite exhausting without the usual town break.

Based on previous posts I've read, all weapons lead too the same Ultimate weapon with a variation on STR/MAG and stat bonuses. Unless you're trying min/max your weapon best suited for your party and roles there shouldn't be any harm in leveling up your default weapons. Otherwise wait for an FAQ. Speaking of, anyone got a link for all Ultimate weapons and their stats?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
And FF13 doesn't?

No.

And the towns missing continues to grow as a detriment. Still, the game is really pretty and not every single character is annoying. So that's something.

I like the VA behind Sazh and Lightning though.

CcrooK said:
If you like bald half naked dykes...

Really, dude?

Zzoram

bdizzle said:
Any gaffers that played both this and white knight chronicles prefer wkc better? This game just ain't doing it for me, but I need something to give me my jrpg fix

People who want a more traditional final fantasy JRPG should try Lost Odyssey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom