• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

Banned
Chiggs said:
Played it for five hours total (last fight was Shiva) and then traded it in. Personally, I feel the game is a failure on so many levels. Loved the visuals and music, though.

That was pretty stupid financially.

careful

Chiggs said:
Played it for five hours total (last fight was Shiva) and then traded it in. Personally, I feel the game is a failure on so many levels. Loved the visuals and music, though.
I felt like I was still in he tutorial phase at that point. You should've kept going.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Threi said:
and yeah this game is totally FF8-2.

just barely tolerable story (At least it isn't a Tales/SO4) with an amazing battle system.

But FF8's battle system was terrible and the story in this is better so I'm not quite seeing that one. :p

Zoe

firehawk12 said:
I was doing the Growth Egg trick and I managed to get a death kill on my SECOND try. I was so fucking happy until I realized that I didn't have a RAV paradigm. I literally sat there mouth agape for a minute, trying to see if there was ANY way to salvage it... of course, I just had to reset at that point.

Luckily, 15 minutes later, I got another death kill... and then spent the next 25 minutes beating the trash enemies. I still managed to get 4 stars. :lol

Growth Egg trick?

Chiggs said:

You know, they do have drugs which are used to treat ADD. I'm just saying. :lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Chiggs said:
You weren't at the part where the game was good yet.

Not that I think any game should ever force you to slog through many hours to get to the good stuff. It is a flaw of this game. But FYI when people talk about the good parts of FFXIII you didn't get there yet.

LowParry

I don't blame people for turning it in early. They could still feel the same for the game later on or after Chp. 5. It does get better later on but why slave over what you don't like?

So I just made it to Chapter 11 and I have a question about grinding:
I can murder that Behemoth right at the start of the Gran Pulse area in like 60 seconds with my awesome Light/Sahz/Hope combo, and it nets me 4000 CP. Easy to respawn. Seems like a good spot to spend some time, unless there is a better spot right around here!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
So I just made it to Chapter 11 and I have a question about grinding:
I can murder that Behemoth right at the start of the Gran Pulse area in like 60 seconds with my awesome Light/Sahz/Hope combo, and it nets me 4000 CP. Easy to respawn. Seems like a good spot to spend some time, unless there is a better spot right around here!

Yeah, the one near the mission 17 stone/passage to the next plot area nets you 6600 CP and also starts with half health and guaranteed pre-empt attack.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
careful said:
With the star rating system, I find myself always trying to speed through battles as fast as possible. That means I barely use any defensive or status spells unless it's a boss battle.
I can see the appeal of this type of design, but I still wish there wasn't a counter making me rush through everything.

ya but some status spells can make a battle go a lot faster.

Anybody ever heard of the Lucky break combination? I'll try it out later on to see if it works. If so I'm going to build Lightning to a lucky break character.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
CcrooK said:
I don't blame people for turning it in early. They could still feel the same for the game later on or after Chp. 5. It does get better later on but why slave over what you don't like?
I agree completely! This game is definitely flawed, and if someone can't get past it, that's understandable. But there is amazing fun to be had after the loooong tunnel.

I am now in
Chapter 7 and just saw the cutscene where Fang is telling Lightning about herself and Vanille.
I have to say the story is getting pretty interesting now, considering I'm wondering
how and the hell Fang and Vanille both woke up on Cocoon; why were their crystals there??
I can see why people are getting pissed saying its linear, but I really don't give a damn because I am enjoying the story and the battle system. :D

DualShadow said:
I've been trying to spread them about the different class's while still trying to focus on a main class, if that makes sense. For instance COM is highest for Light but the others still have points into them. I think it works out best for your stats per CP if u share into different classes.

Well I had to alter my strategy once I reached chapter 9. I need both Lightning and Hope to act as healers, I had them both being (Commando/Raveger) but now healing is a must, which seems to be working.

My aim was to at least max out one role so that I can get the trophy for each (though their only bronze trophies X_X )

Chapter 9 music is nice, but the alarms ruin it, reminds me of the stupid alarm in FFXII, though neither as annoying as the Falnitor usings Rescue! Sound the alarm, lol

Mandoric

Banned
Zoe said:
Growth Egg trick?

Things which will make you never look at a boss the same way again:
Before resists, Death has a flat 1% chance to hit plus an extra 1% for each debuff currently active. You can take down the Neochu (ahh, so far from NAOCHO and still so wrong) with a Vanille/Hope/(Defender) party by rolling JHD, spamming Death on the Neochu until it dies, then wiping out the Kochus as a normal boss fight.

This also works on Adamantaimai, using their automatic downing when a Summon's cast to get off 20 or so casts of Death before they can make their first stomp.

Mandoric said:
Rare item drop rate is something absurd like 3% plus 1% per star (Best Choice is 1.1x, and wiki says 8.8% drop rate on -that- item.) It means a lot, but it still doesn't help too much. :lol

Yea that's just lame :lol 8.8% isnt that bad but still i don't wanna grind items to much :lol

Dead

well not really...yet
Dedication Through Light said:
Well I had to alter my strategy once I reached chapter 9. I need both Lightning and Hope to act as healers, I had them both being (Commando/Raveger) but now healing is a must, which seems to be working.

My aim was to at least max out one role so that I can get the trophy for each (though their only bronze trophies X_X )

Chapter 9 music is nice, but the alarms ruin it, reminds me of the stupid alarm in FFXII, though neither as annoying as the Falnitor usings Rescue! Sound the alarm, lol
Haha, I spent a few hours in the alarm area of chapter 9 for the xp and incentive chips. I eventually managed to mentally block it :lol

george_us

My opinion has damn near shifted 180 degrees on this game. Everything I liked about the game in the beginning is now starting to grate on my nerves.

I thought the claims of the first 15-20 hours being a long tutorial were exaggerated but it's turned out to be true so far. I enjoy the Paradigm shifting but that fact that you can still use Auto-Attack exclusively and still win is ridiculous. I don't think I've encountered a fight at all that's absolutely forced me to use the abilities in any unique way.

The walking down long corridors without shit to do but fight over and over again is seriously getting boring. I understand they wanted a more Call of Duty-esque feel the problem with utilizing it in a game like this is that there's nothing to break it up at all except with poorly directed cutscenes. Call of Duty and games of its ilk normally have you moving to different scenarios and changing up the gameplay relatively quickly to ensure things don't get boring. FFXIII has you running down corridors not doing a damn thing. While I don't disagree with the decision to get rid of towns, as I'm not a huge fan of them personally, I at least see the purpose for them in mixing things up and breaking up the action a little. Overall the pacing seems to be seriously fucked. Plus I'm damn near 20 hours in the game (17) and I STILL can't choose my own party members? Really?

The story is without a doubt the worst I've ever encountered in a FF game so far, even for a Kitase led one. It's not the fact that it's ridiculous that bothers me but the fact that important elements, at least to me, are entirely left out of the main narrative and shoved into the Log Book like it's unimportant. An example being that
Fang and Vanille are in fact hundreds of years old.
Maybe it's not a big deal but shit like that irks me. It's like the writers have no fucking clue how to tell a story without long-winded exposition or just sticking it in the Log Book.

I wish Sakaguchi was still at SE to straighten things out. I loved Blue Dragon despite it's flaws and I would of liked Lost Odyssey were it not for the random battles. Plus his worst story is better than whatever tripe Kitase and his minions have been spewing forth the past decade or so.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mandoric said:
Things which will make you never look at a boss the same way again:
Before resists, Death has a flat 1% chance to hit plus an extra 1% for each debuff currently active. You can take down the Neochu (ahh, so far from NAOCHO and still so wrong) with a Vanille/Hope/(Defender) party by rolling JHD, spamming Death on the Neochu until it dies, then wiping out the Kochus as a normal boss fight.

This also works on Adamantaimai, using their automatic downing when a Summon's cast to get off 20 or so casts of Death before they can make their first stomp.

Yeah. I've seen a video where someone did that battle in less than a minute. Yeesh.

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, the one near the mission 17 stone/passage to the next plot area nets you 6600 CP and also starts with half health and guaranteed pre-empt attack.

Oh, can I get to there right from the beginning of Chap 11? Do you mean the very next plot area that I am supposed to be going to?

Zoe

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, otherwise known as "mission 55" and nets you an item that gives you 2x CP.

I'm aware of that item, but I didn't think there was any kind of "trick" to it.

Dead

well not really...yet
george_us said:
The story is without a doubt the worst I've ever encountered in a FF game so far, even for a Kitase led one. It's not the fact that it's ridiculous that bothers me but the fact that important elements, at least to me, are entirely left out of the main narrative and shoved into the Log Book like it's unimportant. An example
being that Fang and Vanille are in fact hundreds of years old.
Maybe it's not a big deal but shit like that irks me. It's like the writers have no fucking clue how to tell a story without long-winded exposition or just sticking it in the Log Book.
You learn that in the main story itself.

I still maintain what I originally said. So far, as of chapter 11, there has been absolutely nothing in the datalog that is crucial to the story that hasnt been said or implied by the actual game.

For me, the story + characters are without a doubt better than any in FF7-12. Its so far been consistent, lacks crazy plot twists for the sake of them, fleshes out the backstory as it goes along, and the characters continuously get better, even the ones who were annoying in teh beginning.

The game might be an ensemble cast, but Lightning is definitely the lead in terms of promotion, going by that, she's easily my favorite FF "lead" out of all those games as well.

george_us said:
My opinion has damn near shifted 180 degrees on this game. Everything I liked about the game in the beginning is now starting to grate on my nerves.

I thought the claims of the first 15-20 hours being a long tutorial were exaggerated but it's turned out to be true so far. I enjoy the Paradigm shifting but that fact that you can still use Auto-Attack exclusively and still win is ridiculous. I don't think I've encountered a fight at all that's absolutely forced me to use the abilities in any unique way.

But after you've used Libra on the monsters around, doesn't Auto-Attack give you the best results?

I can't figure out where to find what Libra tells me anyway. Anyone?

Mandoric

Banned
DualShadow said:
Yea that's just lame :lol 8.8% isnt that bad but still i don't wanna grind items to much :lol

At least there's some semblance of mercy--there's only one item you'll really want to do it on, and it's a 60-second battle you're guaranteed five stars in, the common drop is the best cash farming item in the game, and it's one of the better EXP grinds too.

bdizzle said:
Any gaffers that played both this and white knight chronicles prefer wkc better? This game just ain't doing it for me, but I need something to give me my jrpg fix

WKC is good. alot different though as multiplayer became core for me after i finished SP. but i like FF13 alot more overall. then again im more of a hardcore FF fan and would follow it to the depths of the earth =P

EDIT: (adding a question)

couldnt find this if its been asked before but are there any really hard end-game challenges.
Best referances being Ruby/Ultimate weapon from FF7. i love a long term challenge that i have to well.....grind for i spose. Thanks for the info!

Robot 492

Banned
I got the game on Friday and I've put in ~18 hours so far. I'm not really digging the story, but the battle system is fantastic. Great game so far.

george_us

BenjaminBirdie said:
But after you've used Libra on the monsters around, doesn't Auto-Attack give you the best results?

I can't figure out where to find what Libra tells me anyway. Anyone?
I've had fights where I've used Libra and it still gave me the same results as I did without it.

Just use R1 to access the info.

LowParry

Hate to say it but the story doesn't really start getting good till about Chp. 8. 9 is the big step up. And I still hate that damn Chocobo remix song. The hell man...the hell.

CcrooK said:
Hate to say it but the story doesn't really start getting good till about Chp. 8. 9 is the big step up. And I still hate that damn Chocobo remix song. The hell man...the hell.

You mean the one with vocals? Yeah, it's pretty bad.

Dead said:
You learn that in the main story itself.

I still maintain what I originally said. So far, as of chapter 11, there has been absolutely nothing in the datalog that is crucial to the story that hasnt been said or implied by the actual game.

For me, the story + characters are without a doubt better than any in FF7-12. Its so far been consistent, lacks crazy plot twists for the sake of them, fleshes out the backstory as it goes along, and the characters continuously get better, even the ones who were annoying in teh beginning.

The game might be an ensemble cast, but Lightning is definitely the lead in terms of promotion, going by that, she's easily my favorite FF "lead" out of all those games as well.

Damn you! You removed the spoiler tags in the quote!

I want a FFXIII-2 that expands on this battle system and takes the rails off even more. Maybe slow down the pace but require full inputs for actions or add some type of direct character control.

Diablos

Chiggs said:
You didn't even give it enough time...

Lightning

Banned
Is there any way to get your fellow party members to cast the buffs/debuffs that you want rather then just waiting for them to get to it when they feel like it?

Example, my party of Vanille, Lightning, Hope. I enter a battle. I put my paradigm to have Hope a Synergist, my aim is to get Bravery status on Lightning..... instead Hope casts protect and veil on everyone and does Bravery last..... This is fucking annoying. Even an offence buffs first command would be nice.

I hate the lack of control....

Ryn

Is it completely necessary to do a bunch of the side missions before facing the chapter 11
Barthoul..somethin
? Because I'm continuously getting wrecked by him at the moment. And it took me a few hours to beat the last big boss in this chapter..

I only did a couple side missions...was planning on doing more later but..this boss fight is ridiculous. I really don't want to end up drowning 3 hours to fight each boss in this game.

Diablos

george_us said:
Hmm. I've found that exclusively relying on auto-battle is not the way to go; especially when it comes to buffing your party, prioritizing the commands for a Sentinel, casting specific spells as well as offensive status magic, i.e. slow. As for Commandos, sure -- you can just auto attack/attack/attack/attack, but that might not be the most efficent way to go; it may be wiser to use blitz to more quickly cause the enemy to stagger and then jump back a bit with ruin as a means to be more evasive. This is just one example. I catch myself interrupting auto battle requests because it's unnecessarily spamming the TP guage while I find that I need to be doing other things, be it switching roles, healing someone, trying to evade an attack, needing misc. defensive magic or other spells, etc. etc.

I'm at chapter 6-7, and while the battles are far from impossible, I've found myself making mistakes because of the fast-paced nature of the battle system, being defeated unexpectedly on battles that are fairly easy. Certainly closer to easy than hard, at least.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
WHY IS THIS GAME SO UNBEARABLY CHEAP?

End of chapter 10:
Everything about this Bahamut fight is retarded. Everything. Why does the game FORCE Lightning and Vanille in the fight? I don't want to use those 2 in conjunction with Fang. Why does the game make me reset all of the Paradigms? I present my party to Fang/Lightning/Vanille just like the game apparently wants and it just sets a bunch of Paradigms I didn't make, so I need to change them again. And I love how Bahamut is hitting the entire god damn party and I can't make the AI split up to fix it, and one of the points to do is guard damage, but even as a sentinel and bahamut provoked on you, it still hits everyone. What the fuck? I seriously don't get this.

And can you seriously not buy shrouds in the store? I atleasted used those to cheese some other fights at the start, but I don't have any more. I'd love to use haste and all but the game won't let me so that's fantastic.

I'd really just like someone to tell me wtf they did here because
I don't like using Fang in my party because of her weird class choices, I'm not good at any of her stuff. Sentinel seems to work if Bahamut wasn't hitting everyone, I can't tell if the debuffs are doing much, and they always have the chain bonus one but going offensive on him seems to be begging for your party to get destroyed.

MechaX

Lightning said:
Is there any way to get your fellow party members to cast the buffs/debuffs that you want rather then just waiting for them to get to it when they feel like it?

Example, my party of Vanille, Lightning, Hope. I enter a battle. I put my paradigm to have Hope a Synergist, my aim is to get Bravery status on Lightning..... instead Hope casts protect and veil on everyone and does Bravery last..... This is fucking annoying. Even an offence buffs first command would be nice.

I hate the lack of control....

This is one area I wish Square decided to take from FFXII: being able to customize what your party members do. It definitely sucks to see Hope burn through every single buff spell and always save Faith and Bravery for last (even casting Bravery on himself and another Ravager like Sazh). I'm also having a problem with healers, mostly because the party could be in a situation where everyone is wounded, the healer has Curaja or could even make do with double Cura, but the healer spams cure on one person.

Hell, I had to do a work around when fighting the tiny Adamantoise earlier today because Hope would never use Cura when the thing is equally damaging the entire party and after taking control of Hope, Fang would never cast Slow first and would go through the entire Deprotect/Deshell/Pain/Fog chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom