• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Also I know about leitmotifs but the fact that the battle theme is pretty much everywhere in the soundtrack makes me sick of it. It doesn't help that I have been hearing it since 2006.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Oh, can I get to there right from the beginning of Chap 11? Do you mean the very next plot area that I am supposed to be going to?

Yeah, you can get there right from the beginning. There's also a save point right by it, so you can' miss it. You'll see two of the beasts fighting each other.

Regulus Tera said:
Chapter 12 here. Sorry, he's bland.

I was expecting more from a fabulous Gackt/Lelouch Lamperouge clone.

Eh, to each his own. I do agree that he's probably the most boring of all the Cids but I still liked him.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Rpgmonkey said:
Completed the game. The ending basically takes all the built up cheesiness, and throws it right at you. Though honestly, that's not too different from VIII, X, and X-2. :lol

Overall, I think I'd give the game about a 7.5 or 8 out of 10.

Personally, I feel it's a very simple and straightforward game, propped up by an interesting and somewhat strategic battlesystem. It's not the best in the series (not in my top 3 either), not really even the best RPG I've played this generation, but it's certainly a tolerable game and a good way to waste about 40 hours.

Might make a detailed review later this week. I waited four years for this dammit, and I'm going to talk about it!

Basically my feelings exactly.

Diablos

Magnus said:
All my complaints still stand, and the mildly interesting story bits and relentlessly sexy battle tracks and visuals still aren't enough to save this game from degenerating into an endless auto-battle/cinematic tunnel of drudgery.

I cannot imagine myself ever playing through these first twenty hours again. Absolutely nothing worth re-experiencing.
I feel the complete opposite.

And really, I fail to see how this game is nothing but auto battle. If you constantly rely on auto-battle beyond maybe a commando, I'd be inclined to think you're doing it wrong. Unless, of course, the fight is ridiculously easy.

I'm at about 15-17 hours in and I'd gladly play through it again.

PBalfredo said:
So when did Final Fantasy decide it's too good for The Prelude and Victory Fanfare, huh? >:[
They could have snuck in the Prelude somewhere, yes. But oh well.

Fanfare, eh. They could have at least brought it back for boss battles, sure.

Magnus

Regulus Tera said:
Also I know about leitmotifs but the fact that the battle theme is pretty much everywhere in the soundtrack makes me sick of it. It doesn't help that I have been hearing it since 2006.
The best part about this game has appeared in preview media since 2006?

Fuck me.

hateradio said:
Go to the next map area, and also, if you haven't explored the map you won't be able to see it; you will once you do.

I've look at every area of the map...there's no red dot anywhere.

Can anyone describe the location?

Thanks in advance.

_Xenon_

Banned
The more I play this game the more I want Sakaguchi to create Lost Odyssey 2 with FFXIII's battle system and Nobuo Uematsu as the game composer. Make it happen Microsoft !

dreamer3kx said:
Just got up to Chap 9, damn chap 8 was short, hows chap 9 boss, I keep reading the difficulties with him, Im getting nervous.
Just make sure you get everybody buffered up then you will be fine. The boss pattern is very simple and most of his attach (except that one) can't do shit.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, I beat it in the biggest display of idiocy ever. :lol

I got slow off at the start, had to heal up for awhile, then did sen/com/rav. Vanille somehow died, I revived her while lighting chipped away, but then she ran into his whirlwind attack all the same and nearly everyone was dead, so more healing was needed. The Gauge was about halfway and I had around 400 above my head, then before I knew it I was down to 200 and was still getting nowhere so I said screw it and went all assault com/rav/rav and even though everyone was yellow and caught in the whirlwind(meaning I was going to die), the Gesalt thing popped up and I was able to hit Square to win...basically exactly what I was doing every other attempt would work sometimes, would fail horribly the next. I love the battle system but stuff like not being able to control where the members of your team are placed have made the boss of chapter 9 and 10 way harder than they should be.

I hope the horror stories I hear of 11 is based on being legitimately hard and not stuff that makes you mad at game specific stuff. Oi.

Magnus

Diablos said:
I feel the complete opposite.

And really, I fail to see how this game is nothing but auto battle. If you constantly rely on auto-battle beyond maybe a commando, I'd be inclined to think you're doing it wrong. Unless, of course, the fight is ridiculously easy.

I'm at about 15-17 hours in and I'd gladly play through it again.

They could have snuck in the Prelude somewhere, yes. But oh well.

Fanfare, eh. They could have at least brought it back for boss battles, sure.
Guess we played different games. Aside from a couple of battles sprinkled throughout (including bosses) that require switching between AI routines (sorry, paradigms), you in fact can auto battle your way through 95% of Chapters 1-7. Pretending the option isn't there cripples you; the battle speed is designed for you to mash that shit and take advantage. Everything is artfully engineered to streamline combat in this game into some kind of visual battle opera that you're meant to watch more than interact with.

I hope everything changes soon, as most have said it will.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
marathonfool said:
I've look at every area of the map...there's no red dot anywhere.

Can anyone describe the location?

Thanks in advance.

If I remember correctly, the early missions are back at the "base camp" before you unlock the full Gran Pulse area.

If you don't enjoy pressing auto-battle, then how about just not doing it? It's not like the game is forcing you to use it or anything (I've only used it a handful of times in the whole game).

Magnus

Regulus Tera said:
Dude it was the fucking music for the reveal trailer how could you miss that.
Oh, haha. Guess I must have heard it back then and not realized it. It was four years ago after all. :lol. My first memory of hearing it was the late fall 09 trailer that went up on the PSN, the last one before the My Hands international trailer went live.

Regulus Tera said:
If such is the case then I cannot complain. Batshit-loco Cid was awesome.

What we need is a Cid even crazier than Cidofolus. Some kind of serial killer Cid in a straight jacket. Of course that isn't something you see often in a T rated game. Maybe Versus.

Tideas

Banned
I'm gonna have to say, I'm on chapter 4 and I'm loving all of the character development.

This is the best character development FF game i've seen since FF6.

ZeroRay

Beat chapter 9 boss. Was fairly easy after learning his pattern. On chapter 10 now,
Anyone else find it funny that the party will take on a huge gunship but start running at the sight of those oversized pulse tin cans?
:lol

Tideas said:
I'm gonna have to say, I'm on chapter 4 and I'm loving all of the character development.

This is the best character development FF game i've seen since FF6.

I agree. I really like how each character has been developing over the course of the game. I'm at the start of Chapter 9, and it really feels like everyone has already had great character arcs, and there's still plenty of game left.

Ok, I'm about 12 hours in and loving the game. The story is better than any of the previous FF's especially in the mythology dept. Every location has a pretty cool story and background, and I'm really rooting for these characters. The battle system is pure awesome. Starting with a commando to rack up some points and then switching to the ravagers to stagger the bitches, then back to commandos for increased damage, healers when you need them, and then status buffs and debuffs for the epic boss fights... it's all super fast and fun and full of strategy especially to get the 5 star ratings. This game is great. I also want to give a shout out to the composer. It's like an awesome Nobuo Uematsu/Phantasy Star Online mix going on and I "almost" don't even miss Nobuo. Square better keep this guy. Anyway, just my two cents. Game on.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
I agree. I really like how each character has been developing over the course of the game. I'm at the start of Chapter 9, and it really feels like everyone has already had great character arcs, and there's still plenty of game left.

Good to know this continues.

firehawk12 said:
If I remember correctly, the early missions are back at the "base camp" before you unlock the full Gran Pulse area.

Thanks for the help.

That was the most stupid back track. I don't even remember the area, it looks completely new.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Oh I have a ways to go then! :)

Yeah, you need to beat the Chapter 11 boss before it even opens up (and have the required stats/skills to even survive it).

marathonfool said:
Thanks for the help.

That was the most stupid back track. I don't even remember the area, it looks completely new.

Yeah, I was totally surprised at how much they left open in that area... although it basically ended up being yet another dungeon crawl. :lol

Kagari said:
Fak. Why isn't Death working against Neochu.

Seems like it's pure luck (well, 1% + whatever debuffs, but might as well be random). Just pray to the gaming gods that math works out for you!

diddlyD

Banned
i'm currently annoyed how the game pushes you to be so reliant on auto attack due to things moving so fast, but then happily screws you over making terrible decisions during boss fights. vanille just decided to cast cure 3x on sazh even though he had more hp and both bosses were gangbanging her simultaneously, so she died and game over.

also, any good write ups on how to use summons effectively? it seems every time i pull odin out to practice using summons, the fight takes 3x as long as if i just fight normally. are they actually useful, or am i doing it wrong?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
firehawk12 said:
Seems like it's pure luck (well, 1% + whatever debuffs, but might as well be random). Just pray to the gaming gods that math works out for you!

That's really stupid...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
diddlyD said:
i'm currently annoyed how the game pushes you to be so reliant on auto attack due to things moving so fast, but then happily screws you over making terrible decisions during boss fights. vanille just decided to cast cure 3x on sazh even though he had more hp and both bosses were gangbanging her simultaneously, so she died and game over.

also, any good write ups on how to use summons effectively? it seems every time i pull odin out to practice using summons, the fight takes 3x as long as if i just fight normally. are they actually useful, or am i doing it wrong?

I'm not sure if I'm doing it right either, but because it revives and fully heals everyone along with inflicting damage, I just summon when stuff goes horribly wrong.

Hah. Just made it to
Gran Pulse Steppe HUGE area. I ran around for around 2-3 hours killing marks, exploring as much as I could and grabbing all the treasure that wasn't being watched over by an Adamantoise :(. Then I read the guide where it mentioned just running across to the waypoint and skipping the majority of the area as it is probably too difficult for the time being :lol. Oh well. Those Rangda/Bird groups are really good and easy CP at that point.

Cloudy

Banned
Is there anything better than having 2 commandos launch the crap out of a tough enemy that was owning you while you heal then switch to "Aggression" to combo some more. Soooo goood :D

Cloudy

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
:lol I find it hilarious how the original trailer battle scene became... a cutscene!

link? I had a media blackout of this game till early this year so I missed all of that...

Replicant

Regulus Tera said:
:lol I find it hilarious how the original trailer battle scene became... a cutscene!

I find it hilarious that you can find a Japanese trailer that contains some of the most important, spoilerific cut-scenes in it. :D

I'm glad I saw it AFTER I played half of the game.

diddlyD said:

I always use the auto attack (unless I need to buff per what the guide suggests, if I have the skill). It seems the autoattack is useful when healing, for me it puts the right number of Cure as well as somehow curing multiple team members in the same turn.

I feel the the summons really only help in being a resort to use when healing the characters, other than that the skills of the party members seem sufficient. Odin feels week to me and doesnt provide as much in the way of Shiva's attack and healing. Maybe it seems faster to use the party since they seem to deal more damage during the staggered mode then the attacks with these summons?

Dresden

I thought summons are useless. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't wipe off buffs, too. It's pretty much a free heal for desperate times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom