• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replicant said:
Well, well, well, look at that. Thank you for those. I was wondering which weapon is the most effective for each character. :D

I don't think there is a 'best' i think it depends on what class you will be using them the most in and how you play.

Argh, I hate the fucking Bomb types in this game. Seems like they purposely broke the rules to fuck you over. I'm trying to fight 4 of them and as soon as I kill one of them the others all self-destruct at the same time, and there's no way I can kill them quick enough. I tried buffing but before I could buff enough, self-destruct.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Replicant said:
Well, well, well, look at that. Thank you for those. I was wondering which weapon is the most effective for each character. :D
Don't go there! This is what I think is the most effective weapons after doing research. Foul hounds will always reach out and say my list sucks, because it's all opinion based.

Replicant

DualShadow said:
I don't think there is a 'best' i think it depends on what class you will be using them the most in and how you play.

Ah, I've been wondering about that too. I've been leveling up every class of each characters equally. So far, for example, Lightning is Level 2 in all the 3 classes she has. Am I right to assume that there'd be a time when you have to choose which one you want to specialize in a bit more? At the moment, I get more CP than progression Crystarium so I always somehow manage to level all of them up.

Zoe

Die Squirrel Die said:
Argh, I hate the fucking Bomb types in this game. Seems like they purposely broke the rules to fuck you over. I'm trying to fight 4 of them and as soon as I kill one of them the others all self-destruct at the same time, and there's no way I can kill them quick enough. I tried buffing but before I could buff enough, self-destruct.

Bombs are pretty easy to sneak up on. Do a preemptive strike and then follow-up with a multi-target spell.

Xevren

DualShadow said:

Yeah I agree with this, once you're in the post game you'll have ridiculous stats to where 200 points in str/magic just doesn't seem to make that much of a difference.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Die Squirrel Die said:

If you libra them and have blasters they will only cast ice/wind on them which prevents them from exploding, assuming you don't leave one of them alone. They die super quickly though.

Arzehn

Yoshichan said:
Lightning - Gladius upgrade (723 STR 210 MAG) This one was tough since I usually do magic with Light too... but I need the STR.

I'm not sure if you're looking to make the best weapons or what but there's a weapon called Organyx which in omega form is 750 STR 750 MAG. This way you can still be an effective ravenger with the same weapon. I'm currently trying to figure out how to get it myself though. Does anyone know? :p

Zoe said:
Bombs are pretty easy to sneak up on. Do a preemptive strike and then follow-up with a multi-target spell.

I'm trying but it's in an area where the camera's playing silly buggers and it keeps fucking with my approach.

Seriously, how many years of 3D have we had now, for developers not to make a fucking pig's ear of the camera.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anomarad said:
I'm not sure if you're looking to make the best weapons or what but there's a weapon called Organiyx which in omega form is 750 STR 750 MAG. This way you can still be an effective ravenger with the same weapon. I'm currently trying to figure out how to get it myself though. Does anyone know? :p
I don't like it since Organyx reduces the speed of the ATB-bar.

Replicant said:
Ah, I've been wondering about that too. I've been leveling up every class of each characters equally. So far, for example, Lightning is Level 2 in all the 3 classes she has. Am I right to assume that there'd be a time when you have to choose which one you want to specialize in a bit more? At the moment, I get more CP than progression Crystarium so I always somehow manage to level all of them up.

No, there is no "specialization" here. The only difference is between base classes and the additional three, which cost double the amount of CP. You will still need to level everything to its max level to get the Trophy/Achievement.

I really like the chocobo digging sidequest. Brings back memories of Chocographs and tracking down those dig spots all over the world in FFIX. I wish they had expanded on it more along those lines this time around, but it's still fun searching for buried treasure. It's like I'm some kind of avian-mounted pirate! KWEH matey KWEH

worldrevolution said:
If you libra them and have blasters they will only cast ice/wind on them which prevents them from exploding, assuming you don't leave one of them alone. They die super quickly though.

They are libra-d, I've got Lightning and Hope as Ravagers but it's still not working.

survivor

Banned
Anomarad said:
I'm not sure if you're looking to make the best weapons or what but there's a weapon called Organyx which in omega form is 750 STR 750 MAG. This way you can still be an effective ravenger with the same weapon. I'm currently trying to figure out how to get it myself though. Does anyone know? :p
I tried looking through the CE guide, but my god is that thing useless. They don't have a list of locations for all weapons.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
DimmuBurgerKing said:
I really like the chocobo digging sidequest. Brings back memories of Chocographs and tracking down those dig spots all over the world in FFIX. I wish they had expanded on it more along those lines this time around, but it's still fun searching for buried treasure. It's like I'm some kind of avian-mounted pirate! KWEH matey KWEH

The only thing I didn't like about it is how huge the 'suspect' area can be..ugh..this thread really makes me want to pop the game back in. There's something about Pulse that just feels like a playground. It's just fun to run around there..can't really equate it to anything in any other FF except the Gold Saucer.

Xevren

It's definitely not useless, it says what shop it belongs to and where you can find it in game if it's in a treasure chest. All tier 1 weapons can be bought anyway, just some way late.

survivor said:
I tried looking through the CE guide, but my god is that thing useless. They don't have a list of locations for all weapons.

Yes they do. Looks under Inventory - Weapons. It list which shop they are available from, and the page no. of the map for the chest they can be found in.

survivor said:
I'm stupid. It is under shops. Look for Gilgamesh Inc, they should have it.

Thanks Die Squirrel Die

For people who might not know - Gilgamesh Inc. becomes available after completing one of the missions.

hirokazu

Gamer @ Heart said:
I seriously dont understand the time limit on some of these monsters. 4 dog dudes equal 55 seconds or something, but 3 penguins equal 3 and a half minutes or something? I take them out at almost roughly the same time but i get 3 stars on the dogs. ARG.

Whats the best weapon for lightning as a rav? I find im alaways using her and hope to build up combos so i better focus on that than on her as a com.
Some of the penguins can spawn tougher monsters if you're not quick enough in taking them out. They usually never get anywhere close to doing so once you're strong enough to take them out quickly though.

The star requirements for the other things you mention seem to get tougher as you get stronger, you'll have to try alternative strategies to 5 star them.

edgefusion

The final boss battle is just ridiculous,
instant KO?
Come on Square that's some total bullshit right there. Spend 20 minutes slowly whittling away it's enormous health bar only to be destroyed
by an instant death spell
? Who thought this was a good idea? How do I know this isn't going to happen again and again every time I try to beat the damn thing?

Alex

I like that they have Bar- and En- spells in this, I dont think have those even been in any others, in that iteration, besides XI and XIII.

I think i might have missed the purpose of the star rating at the end. The higher the star rating the better the spoils? Is that the only benefit or does it affect the CP u receive as well? Thanks

survivor

Banned
DualShadow said:
I think i might have missed the purpose of the star rating at the end. The higher the star rating the better the spoils? Is that the only benefit or does it affect the CP u receive as well? Thanks
CP should be fixed for the enemies you fight. It's just the higher rating, the more spoils you get.

kamspy

Advertising works. I was totally gonna pass on the FF. I was standing firm all week. Didn't even get an urge.

So I'm sitting down to watch the Cavaliers-Celtics game today (lol celtics), and it was "brought to you buy FFXIII" and there was a commercial during every break. Well, by the third quarter I had the wife on the road to Gamestop.:D

One thing, do you really have to force DTS through the XMB?

Mandoric

Banned
Papercuts said:
Yeah...it especially makes medics being able to revive feel pretty redundant when there is only one member of the team they can actually revive unless you make the medic a leader.

Hey, at least HLR on non-leader isn't as useless as DEF on leader. :lol

Alex said:
I like that they have Bar- and En- spells in this, I dont think have those even been in any others, in that iteration, besides XI and XIII.

FF5 had En-spells, and FF1 had Bar- spells
that didn't work due to the entire elemental resist code being bugged.

edgefusion said:
instant KO?
Come on Square that's some total bullshit right there. Spend 20 minutes slowly whittling away it's enormous health bar only to be destroyed
? Who thought this was a good idea? How do I know this isn't going to happen again and again every time I try to beat the damn thing?

Use the
Angel Tiara
that you got right before him.

7Th

Fimbulvetr said:
Also you might wanna look to the SMT/Mother series, FFTactics, and Vagrant Story for great characterization.

Yeah... no. I love them very much, but Vagrant Story and FFTactics have very little resembling great, or even competent, characterization.

survivor said:
CP should be fixed for the enemies you fight. It's just the higher rating, the more spoils you get.

Thanks that's what i was thinking but there are times when i get 5 star rating and get no spoils i mean wtf :lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What happens when I disassmble

I'm an expert

edgefusion said:
instant KO?

My thoughts/strat on that fight:

You will want the anti-death accessory at max level. Yes, it sucks, no arguing there. BUT, there was a strategy I found that made the boss trivial, unfortunately my memory is a little fuzzy since it was 3 months ago. There's essentially 3 phases to that fight, right? The first is the giant aoe that takes you to low HP, then there's the super debuffs on all chars phase, and then finally the insta KO getting added in third phase..I think...right? Well, get the boss to the second phase, where she debuffs like crazy, but once you're there, never break it. If you take it to break in the second phase it will initiate the third phase. Simply keep it debuffed and with Bio up. Bio will take it down heavily and with deshell and deprot your regular attacks will do decent damage. It will never cast Death, or at least it didn't for me. I'm not sure if this strategy is full proof or repeatable, but it took me 3 tries on this boss and the third went like that. It didn't take forever or anything, I just looked up at the health bar one time and realized she was almost dead. I used this strategy for the first time you meet the silver haired guy in the mech after the adamantoise fight. If you never took him to break, he never did the insane missile/machine gun aoe in response. Also use summons as a way to reset the fight if need be.

Minamu

Welp, will have to skip the last 50 pages or so :lol Hard to keep up with this thread...

Anyway, ch10:
Man, Raines was a really tough fight. Took 3 tries but once I went back to my Light/Fang/Hope crew & used buffs/debuffs, he went down fairly easy. Managed to get 7 seconds below the target time :lol

It's getting really hard to level up now though. I assume it's normal to need 2000-4000 CP to get ONE lousy stat bonus?

Oh, I'm still using auto-battle all the time. It works great :p Don't see what's so bad about it. Apart from a handful of boss fights, it's been easy mode once I got used to the mechanics (Getting killed while switching to Medics is fucking annoying though).

careful

With the star rating system, I find myself always trying to speed through battles as fast as possible. That means I barely use any defensive or status spells unless it's a boss battle.
I can see the appeal of this type of design, but I still wish there wasn't a counter making me rush through everything.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
edgefusion said:
instant KO?

You are getting the death spell because you are taking way too long to kill him. The boss would be super easy (but take awhile!) if you could just sit in healing mode with light attacking most of the time. I had this same problem my first two tries. Your party is just too weak and you need gain more CP. I went back to the tower on Pulse and grinded mission 26 (I think?) for an hour and a half and the last boss was MUCH easier afterwards.

Minamu said:
It's getting really hard to level up now though. I assume it's normal to need 2000-4000 CP to get ONE lousy stat bonus?

Oh, I'm still using auto-battle all the time. It works great :p Don't see what's so bad about it. Apart from a handful of boss fights, it's been easy mode once I got used to the mechanics (Getting killed while switching to Medics is fucking annoying though).

I'm in Chapter 11 and the fights (the ones that I can actually win) give a few thousand at a minimum, so progressing through the Crystarium feels reasonably swift again.

Okay this may be a daft question at this point but does increasing your attack and magic stats affect your defense as well as offense?

Feep

Banned
careful said:
With the star rating system, I find myself always trying to speed through battles as fast as possible. That means I barely use any defensive or status spells unless it's a boss battle.
I can see the appeal of this type of design, but I still wish there wasn't a counter making me rush through everything.
The only thing star-ranking affects is TP regeneration (you usually won't care), and item accrual. However, the only items you ever get are singles of some crap upgrade material, so under nearly all circumstances, it's a useless meter. Play the game the way you want to play.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
careful said:
Well, sometimes using defensive and status spells is the thing that saves you time, if you would have been wasting time healing HP.

In any normal FF, you wouldn't "have to" use defensive or status spells unless it sped up time there either.. unless it was just for comfort. Does that make sense?

Mandoric

Banned
DualShadow said:
Thanks that's what i was thinking but there are times when i get 5 star rating and get no spoils i mean wtf :lol

Rare item drop rate is something absurd like 3% plus 1% per star (Best Choice is 1.1x, and wiki says 8.8% drop rate on -that- item.) It means a lot, but it still doesn't help too much. :lol

This fucking game. I just spent 40 minutes on the Chapter 5 boss after dying a dozen times before. Finally got it staggered a second time and used
Odin
but then with a tiny bit of hp left it kills Hope so I use a Phoenix down and then try to heal him but he gets killed again and stupid Lightning wastes 3 cure spells on a dead body instead of herself and I get killed. Fucking game.

Got the game yesterday, been playing it quite extensively since.

My impressions will probably mirror most folks. I was pleasantly surprised that the story's working for me more than I thought it would. I remember the first FF13 trailer being almost nonsensical in terms of what the dialogue was saying. At the start with this even it's a bit befuddling, since the overall big picture of even how the world is laid out isn't offered up front and center. Well, I suppose it is if you mean the encyclopedia in game, which is nicely informative without being too long winded.

I expected the linearity of the initial experience from what I've read, but now after experiencing it (
I'm working my way through that frozen lake area, just got Shiva for Snow
) I can understand why. The story exposition alone needed this deliberate pacing in order to not flat out confuse the player, as does the introduction to all the nuances of combat.

Of the latter, I'm liking it a lot more now than I initially thought. The paradigm system is awesome, in my humble opinion, since it cuts the micromanagement to almost zero. I like having that option though, even if it's for myself, so I'm defaulting my combat command to Ability instead of Auto.

If I had one beef it's the insane pace of combat, shit's just happening way too fast for me to pick what I want and react to changing stances and positions of enemies. I figured hey, I'll change the speed of the ATB to slow instead of normal. I could be wrong, but I THINK that is fucking my scores by making that selection, which is a bit of a disappointment. I'm finding myself just fiddling through menus in order to do what I want at the pace the game wants me to, because I decided to try to be strategic in what my leader does, versus play the way the game is ham-handedly trying to force me to play (auto mode). Again I'm still early on, maybe this gets more reasonable later, I don't know.

So far though, as a long time fan of FF7, I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far. I can't wait for things to open up a bit more. Hell I'm even liking all the characters so far (somehow, even Vanille).

careful

Feep said:
The only thing star-ranking affects is TP regeneration (you usually won't care), and item accrual. However, the only items you ever get are singles of some crap upgrade material, so under nearly all circumstances, it's a useless meter. Play the game the way you want to play.

BocoDragon said:
Well, sometimes using defensive and status spells is the thing that saves you time, if you would have been wasting time healing HP.

In any normal FF, you wouldn't "have to" use defensive or status spells unless it sped up time there either.. unless it was just for comfort. Does that make sense?

I guess you guys are right in a way. The rewards are not too significant, but I can't help it when this computer program is judging my combat performance. :lol I always get the feeling I didn't do something right if I didn't 5-star a battle.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Holy fuck I had the worst moment and the best moment of the game within 15 minutes of each other.

I was doing the Growth Egg trick and I managed to get a death kill on my SECOND try. I was so fucking happy until I realized that I didn't have a RAV paradigm. I literally sat there mouth agape for a minute, trying to see if there was ANY way to salvage it... of course, I just had to reset at that point.

Luckily, 15 minutes later, I got another death kill... and then spent the next 25 minutes beating the trash enemies. I still managed to get 4 stars. :lol

God, I think this might be more exciting than the end game.

Edit: Now grinding will be much faster anyway. :lol

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Using an eidolon never produces better results than just sticking with my main party for me. I've only used Odin twice, and Shiva once, and haven't even bothered with the rest. Such an extravaganza for such little benefit.

Question: the ravager attacks that are basically elementally charged physical attacks. Flamestrike, sparkstrike (I don't remember if these are actually the names), etc. Do these draw from your attack stat or your magic stat? I use lightning mostly as ravager now, with fang as commando, but I hope light's huge atk stat isn't going to waste.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Played it for five hours total (last fight was Shiva) and then traded it in. Personally, I feel the game is a failure on so many levels. Loved the visuals and music, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom