• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Papercuts said:
WHY IS THIS GAME SO UNBEARABLY CHEAP?

End of chapter 10:
Everything about this Bahamut fight is retarded. Everything. Why does the game FORCE Lightning and Vanille in the fight? I don't want to use those 2 in conjunction with Fang. Why does the game make me reset all of the Paradigms? I present my party to Fang/Lightning/Vanille just like the game apparently wants and it just sets a bunch of Paradigms I didn't make, so I need to change them again. And I love how Bahamut is hitting the entire god damn party and I can't make the AI split up to fix it, and one of the points to do is guard damage, but even as a sentinel and bahamut provoked on you, it still hits everyone. What the fuck? I seriously don't get this.

And can you seriously not buy shrouds in the store? I atleasted used those to cheese some other fights at the start, but I don't have any more. I'd love to use haste and all but the game won't let me so that's fantastic.

I'd really just like someone to tell me wtf they did here because
I don't like using Fang in my party because of her weird class choices, I'm not good at any of her stuff. Sentinel seems to work if Bahamut wasn't hitting everyone, I can't tell if the debuffs are doing much, and they always have the chain bonus one but going offensive on him seems to be begging for your party to get destroyed.

Jam and Defend.
Also, you can't by the smoke items until beginning of chapter 13...

Nose Master

Papercuts said:

End of chapter 10:
Everything about this Bahamut fight is retarded. Everything. Why does the game FORCE Lightning and Vanille in the fight? I don't want to use those 2 in conjunction with Fang. Why does the game make me reset all of the Paradigms? I present my party to Fang/Lightning/Vanille just like the game apparently wants and it just sets a bunch of Paradigms I didn't make, so I need to change them again. And I love how Bahamut is hitting the entire god damn party and I can't make the AI split up to fix it, and one of the points to do is guard damage, but even as a sentinel and bahamut provoked on you, it still hits everyone. What the fuck? I seriously don't get this.

And can you seriously not buy shrouds in the store? I atleasted used those to cheese some other fights at the start, but I don't have any more. I'd love to use haste and all but the game won't let me so that's fantastic.

I don't like using Fang in my party because of her weird class choices, I'm not good at any of her stuff. Sentinel seems to work if Bahamut wasn't hitting everyone, I can't tell if the debuffs are doing much, and they always have the chain bonus one but going offensive on him seems to be begging for your party to get destroyed.

Just hit retry right away and reset paradigms. That fights a bit of a cock since you can't use Hope or Sazh, just hit him with any debuffs you can and switch between com/rav/med and com/rav/rav and cross your fingers.

PS: Sazh just learned Protect/Shell. Bye forever, Hope, you frail bastard. :lol

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Papercuts said:

[...]
I think I just
Used Sentinel for Fang, and hit Bahamut w/the other two, occasionally healing
, beat him in two tries or maybe three.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
SonOfABeep said:
I love this game. Taking my time with it to savor the goodness. We might not get a FF in this style again.

What makes you think that? :p

Diablos said:
Hmm. I've found that exclusively relying on auto-battle is not the way to go; especially when it comes to buffing your party, prioritizing the commands for a Sentinel, casting specific spells as well as offensive status magic, i.e. slow. As for Commandos, sure -- you can just auto attack/attack/attack/attack, but that might not be the most efficent way to go; it may be wiser to use blitz to more quickly cause the enemy to stagger and then jump back a bit with ruin as a means to be more evasive. This is just one example. I catch myself interrupting auto battle requests because it's unnecessarily spamming the TP guage while I find that I need to be doing other things, be it switching roles, healing someone, trying to evade an attack, needing misc. defensive magic or other spells, etc. etc.

I'm at chapter 6-7, and while the battles are far from impossible, I've found myself making mistakes because of the fast-paced nature of the battle system, being defeated unexpectedly on battles that are fairly easy. Certainly closer to easy than hard, at least.

Yeah I've noticed that while the auto-battle is good enough a lot of the time I've found that in specific situations it tends to not choose wisely and it's better to manually select attacks.

For example as a Rav, when an enemy is launched, the auto-battle tends to choose a 1-2-1 attack pattern, where a 1-1-1-1 is better for maintaining a juggle. And like you mentioned using 2 bar attacks to stagger multiple opponents, especially with a pre-emptive strike, it once again prefers a 1-2-1 setup where a 2-2 can be devastating.

Zzoram

SonOfABeep said:
I love this game. Taking my time with it to savor the goodness. We might not get a FF in this style again.

Considering they want to make an FFXIII-2 and this game is selling really well by all accounts, I think they'll ignore Western reviewers and just make more games like this. Famitsu gave it 39/40.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Papercuts said:

End of chapter 10:

I used Fortisol or Ethersol, not sure, the one that puts up barrier, veil, etc. at the start of the battle. It works though.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Zzoram said:
Considering they want to make an FFXIII-2 and this game is selling really well by all accounts, I think they'll ignore Western reviewers and just make more games like this. Famitsu gave it 39/40.

Pfffft :lol :lol :lol :lol

I feel like Pulse has really messed up the pacing of the game for me. It's gotten to the point where I just want to see the next big cutscene and stop with all the exploring. It probably wouldn't be as bad if most of the game was linear but it's such a ridiculous shift. I got to the place at like 30 hours and now the clock is close to 42 hours. Yeah, I did a lot of missions and stuff but even following the arrow to the point I'm at
(Snow and Lightning FMV discussing marriage and what not)
took a few hours. It's like the complaints of "nothing happening" at the beginning of the game have finally started to kick in for me at a completely different part in the game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Kagari said:
Jam and Defend.
Also, you can't by the smoke items until beginning of chapter 13...

What's Jam?

Nose Master said:
Just hit retry right away and reset paradigms. That fights a bit of a cock since you can't use Hope or Sazh, just hit him with any debuffs you can and switch between com/rav/med and com/rav/rav and cross your fingers.

PS: Sazh just learned Protect/Shell. Bye forever, Hope, you frail bastard. :lol

It seems really dumb that it resets all of the paradigms, why didn't they just keep them? :|

I'm trying a few things but he just steamrolls my whole party...

ULTROS! said:
I used Fortisol or Ethersol, not sure, the one that puts up barrier, veil, etc. at the start of the battle. It works though.

That's what I want to do but I'm out.

Diablos

So far, auto really only seems ideal for commandos, but even commandos benefit from manual a lot. Everything else more often than not seems to make more sense with manual. I have the cursor set to default to it.

Hyunkel6

The fight against
Bahamut
in chapter 10 was intense! I had less than 5 secs left when I was finally able to mash the "x" button (360 version). :lol

Gamer @ Heart said:
I seriously dont understand the time limit on some of these monsters. 4 dog dudes equal 55 seconds or something, but 3 penguins equal 3 and a half minutes or something? I take them out at almost roughly the same time but i get 3 stars on the dogs. ARG.

Score = {[(Time Objective) - (Battle Time)] x (Battle Rate)} + 10,000

Time Objective = [(Enemy Strength) / (Party Member Strength)] + 8

Enemy Strength is the sum of the following:

[(HP at the start of Battle) x (enemy level)] / 16
In the case that the enemy's level is above 50, it is calculated as 50.

Party Member Strength is the sum of the following:

[(Attack power x ATB Level) / (3.5 + ATB Level)]
Attack power means the highest value between magic and physical attack.

Battle Rate = [(10,000) / (Time Objective)]

careful said:
I guess you guys are right in a way. The rewards are not too significant, but I can't help it when this computer program is judging my combat performance. :lol I always get the feeling I didn't do something right if I didn't 5-star a battle.

Most video game genres measure your skill in some way. Traditional RPGs are an exception to this rule, which is why it attracts so many 'casual' players (in other words, people who don't want a game to 'judge them').

And you didn't do something right if you didn't get 5 stars. If you want to get better at the game, get to it.

hateradio

Zzoram said:
Where did they say that they wanted to make a XIII-2? This game pretty much is FFX-3 though :lol so they'll just recycle everything and create it.

Zzoram

Basically the pacing is 2 extremes.

Here is 20 hours of a corridor dungeon, followed by 20 hours of massive overworld with hunts. Why didn't they mix things up better?

Zzoram said:

I hope so. Square should know their audience by now and a lot of the complaints from the western reviewers are the same reason a lot of people love the series.

Shouta

george_us said:
My opinion has damn near shifted 180 degrees on this game. Everything I liked about the game in the beginning is now starting to grate on my nerves.

Yeah, felt the same as the game went on for me. It started wearing thin and a lot of shine was missing as I got to the end of the Japanese version.

Rektash

I must be the slowest player in this thread. I am 33 hours in and in the middle of chapter 10. Well I do everything there is in dungeons and look at the scenery quite often. And I dedicated at least one hour looking at the gorgeous female character models :lol .

anddo0

FU Chapter 9 boss :| I had this dude beat, got his hp down to 1/4, and then he
cast doom on Lightning
After getting his health down to the 1/4 mark, I couldn't make a dent in him.

Diablos

hateradio said:
Where did they say that they wanted to make a XIII-2? This game pretty much is FFX-3 though :lol so they'll just recycle everything and create it.
It's definitely not FFX-3.

Haven't completed the game, and while I'm loving it, I don't think XIII-2 is a good idea.

I want DLC. They talked about it before, then said it probably wasn't going to happen, but I'd really like for it to happen.

hateradio

Diablos said:

Haven't completed the game, and while I'm loving it, I don't think XIII-2 is a good idea.
I know it's not, I meant jokingly since if there was a X-3, I think it would be like this game. You can see FFX team's work all over XIII.

Zzoram said:
Basically the pacing is 2 extremes.

Here is 20 hours of a corridor dungeon, followed by 20 hours of massive overworld with hunts. Why didn't they mix things up better?
I think only Pulse itself is fairly large, but then it leads to corridor paths, so it's not really like that. I agree however, that they needed to mix things around.

AND they needed to let you do any mission at any time like 12, this running around back and forward is just a waste of time :/.

hmm.. so I decided to start a new challenge run for a day or two until Resonance of Fate hits. Here are the limitations:

No auto-battle.
No shrouds.
No grinding or fighting the same enemy group twice.
No missions during the main game (besides the mandatory Ch 11 ones).
Get 5 stars on every encounter.. preferably as quickly as possible.

Currently in chapter 2. I think I upped my stats too high because the groups of Bass are not coughing up the stars even with perfectly placed Blitz cancels.

Papercuts said:
I can't seem to find a chance, I just get torn up at the start...

Did u try setting it as default? That might save you a little bit of time.

Also: Does anyone else hate how it always shows you changing class's
1) Even if your not changing everyone's class (example RAV/RAV to RAV/MED)
2) Wastes a few seconds where your still vulnerable to attack

7Th

Diablos said:

I want DLC. They talked about it before, then said it probably wasn't going to happen, but I'd really like for it to happen.

Final Mix Edition with more "pointless but cute" character interaction cutscenes scattered around in Pulse and an extra dungeon.

BELIEVE.

Chapter 8 was really emotional.
The confrontation between Sazh and Vanille was very well done, and I think both voice actors did a great job pulling off that scene
. I also really liked the design of Nautilus. It was nice to have a more laid back period in the game where you weren't just running from fight to fight.

Frostburn

Finally got back from snowboarding and I was able to open and play till the start of Chapter 3, I'm loving the game so far. From someone that did not play past FF10 I'm happy to pick up another Final Fantasy game. I went in knowing only the main cast and a bit about the ATB and the initial trailer for the game. I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far, I would love to have a bit more freedom to explore but it hasn't hurt my enjoyment of the game yet at all. Would keep playing now but I should really get to sleep so I can get up for work in the morning. A lot of the early impressions had me worried but I think that since I wasn't so hyped for the game I'm enjoying it more.

Papercuts

Kagari said:
Start out with Fang with it. Have Lightning attack, Vanille can heal/jam.

Everyone got destroyed. :lol

Vanille is the biggest problem, NONE of her classes make her move, so if I get attacked at the start both Fang and Vanille need to get up, meaning she has no time to heal...meaning I'm dead in a few seconds. Lightning is just running into him and getting hit, which is also awesome.

Rpgmonkey

Completed the game. The ending basically takes all the built up cheesiness, and throws it right at you. Though honestly, that's not too different from VIII, X, and X-2. :lol

Overall, I think I'd give the game about a 7.5 or 8 out of 10.

Personally, I feel it's a very simple and straightforward game, propped up by an interesting and somewhat strategic battlesystem. It's not the best in the series (not in my top 3 either), not really even the best RPG I've played this generation, but it's certainly a tolerable game and a good way to waste about 40 hours.

Might make a detailed review later this week. I waited four years for this dammit, and I'm going to talk about it!

hateradio

Papercuts said:
Everyone got destroyed. :lol

Vanille is the biggest problem, NONE of her classes make her move, so if I get attacked at the start both Fang and Vanille need to get up, meaning she has no time to heal...meaning I'm dead in a few seconds. Lightning is just running into him and getting hit, which is also awesome.
Did you go to the Crystalium sys. and upgrade her? Do you have almost everything maxed till that point?

hateradio

marathonfool said:
Chapter 11.

Where's the 3rd Hunt Mission. Stupid red mark doesn't show up on the map.
Go to the next map area, and also, if you haven't explored the map you won't be able to see it; you will once you do.

Papercuts

hateradio said:
Did you go to the Crystalium sys. and upgrade her? Do you have almost everything maxed till that point?

Fang is a Commando level 3, Sentinel level 2(next upgrade is a role level) and a level 3 Saboteur. Lightning is a Com 3, Rav 2, Med 3, Vanille is Rav 3, Sab 3, Med 2...I used everone's CP up. Slow is helping but sometimes starting with Sab ends with everyone getting destroyed, this fight doesn't make any sense.

hateradio

Papercuts said:
Fang is a Commando level 3, Sentinel level 2(next upgrade is a role level) and a level 3 Saboteur. Lightning is a Com 3, Rav 2, Med 3, Vanille is Rav 3, Sab 3, Med 2...I used everone's CP up. Slow is helping but sometimes starting with Sab ends with everyone getting destroyed, this fight doesn't make any sense.
Just stay in sab for a bit, once he's slow, switch her to sent and attack w/the other two.

burgerdog said:
Does your entire party get 2x cp with one egg?
No reason why they wouldn't, and there's only one egg.

Dedication Through Light said:
Wow when does the battle theme return, It seems likes its been missing since chapter 6 (at chapter 9 now).
I'm glad to hear this. I wish more RPGs switched things up like this. Not too sure I could take 40+ hours of this happy pop jazz 'battle' music.

Rpgmonkey

Regulus Tera said:
The Cid in this game is the most boring Cid since FFVI.

Yeah, really bland character with no interesting qualities.

It really hurt too, because Cid's usually one of the most eccentric and interesting characters in FF games. :(

Magnus

Well into Chapter 7 now, around 15 hours, and fuck am I bored. I never imagined this would be my reaction a quarter of the way into any main-line Final Fantasy entry.

All my complaints still stand, and the mildly interesting story bits and relentlessly sexy battle tracks and visuals still aren't enough to save this game from degenerating into an endless auto-battle/cinematic tunnel of drudgery.

I will persist, hoping to be slammed with some awesome World of Ruin/FFVI-quality open world freedom come hour 20 or so.

I cannot imagine myself ever playing through these first twenty hours again. Absolutely nothing worth re-experiencing.

I also started thumbing through the datalog, an there's actually some really interesting and borderline fascinating world lore and even some vital character history. Why the fuck isn't this presented in-game? Why is a digital text encyclopedia engrossing me into the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon more than the actual narrative is? If they infused the cutscenes some rich datalog, uh, data, and stripped it of
some of the terrible dialogue, they might actually get half the players to care again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom