• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGCrazied

I'm getting the CE guide from amazon, but picking up the game Tuesday morning. :) while I do love my RPGS, I don't lose sleep over em. lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Dedication Through Light said:
Screw the test, you have FFXIII!
He'll show up for the test, and the professor will hand him a piece of paper with an F on it.

”My dear boy”, the professor will say. ”Staying home to play Final Fantasy XIII WAS the test.. and you failed miserably.”

Nakazato

BocoDragon said:
He'll show up for the test, and the professor will hand him a piece of paper with an F on it.

”My dear boy”, the professor will say. ”Staying home to play Final Fantasy XIII WAS the test.. and you failed miserably.”
:lol :lol

g23

European pre-madonna
Anyone else got dis bitch #1 in their gameQ for gamefly?!?!?!?!? YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fuck..:(

BocoDragon

Cloudy said:
I just noticed Gamespot gave it an 8.5. They gave XII a 9..
As well they should... XII was a wonderful game :)

But really I am not worried about any score 7-10... Frankly, any of the other FF games could have ranged in this area depending on the reviewers taste.

Now that edge 5/10... THAT is interesting.. Obviously something about the structure of this game will displease some people. Hopefully, the structure will please others and hopefully I will be one of these others.. we will see.

BocoDragon

Cloudy said:
It wasn't a very good FF though. The characters were just too shallow for me. Everything else was great but that was a huge drawback IMO
Let's not get into ”the big conversation”, but I disagree. :D Ive been playing FF games as they released since FFVI, and XII was one of my big highlights of the series. The characters were actually a big part of the appeal to me (in particular Fran and Balthier)... but mainly the music, exploration and maturity of the dialogue sold me on it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fairly sure shallow characters are a series staple at this point.

aryies

Neo Member
just slightly passed the
ice lake section

thoughts so far:

pros: looks amazing. honestly videos and screens dont do it justice. its not a texture powerhouse, but it just manages to always look, so far, fucking amazing.

music is great, really nice, but not memorable to be honest. nothing outside the battle theme has really stuck out and stayed in my head, everything else is just really nice orchestral work. but nothing really that has stuck in my head that ive started humming to.

battle system is awesome. i was worried that controlling one character would lead to suckage, but its honestly really good because where im up to the battles are already really fast paced. and yeah, they look awesome too.

cons: everything else really. the game is, so far, stupidly and what i consider unforgivable, linear. reviews have said it, yeah, but whereas in most ff games, i dread going into battle, in this game, so far, i dread the places where i am not fighting. it is boring. dreadfully boring. it really doesnt hit home imo how linear it is until you play it. most of the time, i honestly think i could tape the stick upwards and come back and have that zone cleared, or be in a battle. either one.

i will keep playing, but god, its going to be a long 20 or whatever hours until i get apparent freedom. i wouldnt give the game an "edge 5" so far, but from what ive played *read, from what ive played, early as fuck days* i could totally imagine someone, even an ff fan, giving it an extremely low score.

Cloudy

Banned
Rez said:
I'm fairly sure shallow characters are a series staple at this point.

I don't mean shallow as a negative character trait. IMO, the FF12 characters just seemed to be bystanders to the plot. Maybe it's just me but Vaan is pretty forgettable compared to Cloud, Squall or Tidus. Hell, Zidane was pretty "meh" as well but FF9 held my interest enough to finish that game!

I still can't believe I didn't finish FF12 (put in 30+ hours). Maybe I have less time than I did in my younger days but that is a huge indictment of the game for me. I have a very long attention span and typically finish any game I start..

Nakazato

Cloudy said:
I don't mean shallow as a negative character trait. IMO, the FF12 characters just seemed to be bystanders to the plot. Maybe it's just me but Vaan is pretty forgettable compared to Cloud, Squall or Tidus. Hell Zidane is pretty "meh" as well but FF9 held my interest enough to finish that game!

I still can't believe I didn't finish FF12 (put in 30+ hours). Maybe I have less time than I did in my younger days but that is a huge indictment of the game for me. I have a very long attention span and typically finish any game I start..
Zidane was a breath of fresh air after both cloud and squall imo

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
man I wanted to buy a ps3 here in China to play FF XIII, now with all these linearity reviews Im not sure :/

Cloudy

Banned
Does anyone have the sales numbers for FF7/8/9/10/12 in the US?

I am curious to see which one did the worst. I would bet it'd be 9 and 12...

Dresden

Cloudy said:
I don't mean shallow as a negative character trait. IMO, the FF12 characters just seemed to be bystanders to the plot. Maybe it's just me but Vaan is pretty forgettable compared to Cloud, Squall or Tidus. Hell, Zidane was pretty "meh" as well but FF9 held my interest enough to finish that game!

Vaan wasn't really the main character, though. Ashe was, and Balthier and Basch took up much of the spotlight with Fran flashing dat ass all over the place.

But this just comes from someone who loved FFXII.

BocoDragon

Cloudy said:

Yeah, Vaan was forgettable.. but BALTHIER. That's all I have to say. :lol

And in the case of myself... I managed to put in 90+ hours into that game, it was a huge adventure which put me back into the state of how I used to game non-stop as a child... and I was 22 upon its release.

Talon

Cloudy said:

Vaan is a passive observer to the real main characters: Ashe and Basch. Even then, we're watching the machinations of the world through the party.

Also, Zidane was a breath of fresh air from bitchass Squall and brooding Cloud.

ZeroRay

BocoDragon said:
Yeah, Vaan was forgettable.. but BALTHIER. That's all I have to say. :lol

And in the case of myself... I managed to put in 90+ hours into that game, it was a huge adventure which put me back into the state of how I used to game non-stop as a child... and I was 22 upon its release.

Pretty much my thoughts. Loved both X and XII so XIII will be awesome for me.

Talon

Nakazato said:
lol seem like great minds think a like
Seems so.

I should also clarify that I'm a fan of FFVIII (or at least, I remember being a fan since I haven't played it since release). I just like Zidane more than any Final Fantasy "protagonist" from 7 on.

And Squall has always ticked me off.

"What an idiot..."
"..."
"...OK..."

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Talon- said:

"What an idiot..."
"..."
"...OK..."

photo73.jpg

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
heh

I just got this chinese FFXIII book , no text only high res pics and posters of some art and mostly high res pics of trailers, with the names of the characters, this is not offical right?
:lol $4 bucks

Dresden

dgenx said:
heh

I just got this chinese FFXIII book , no text only high res pics and posters of some art and mostly high res pics of trailers, with the names of the characters, this is not offical right?
:lol $4 bucks
duh

Talon- said:
Seems so.

I should also clarify that I'm a fan of FFVIII (or at least, I remember being a fan since I haven't played it since release). I just like Zidane more than any Final Fantasy "protagonist" from 7 on.

"What an idiot..."
"..."
"...OK..."

Apparently Squall doesn't have an ellipse fetish in the Japanese version but that probably doesn't make his character much better.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
BocoDragon said:
If you have Balthier in your party at all times, you actually start to think that he's the main character--second to Ashe. I also played many hours in XII, time flies when you're just going from area to are in a setting where "grinding" doesn't even feel like it. Also, I think the fact that there is no "battle music" helps with that, since it just feels, natural.

XIII seems like it has some similar things, the "hunts" mostly and probably the large map in Pulse, but at the same time it's the opposite, where the battle seems like it would be challenging, coming from a lot of people saying this. I guess I'll just have to wait and see, like most people on Tuesday.

This game needs either a Viewing Theater for FMV movies, or the ability to take screenshots. Anyway around it? I need to do a screenshot of (spoilers to cute and fluffy things)
THAT DAMN NAUTILUS SHEEP EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I'm still pretty interested in it, but I'm not overly excited for it. I hope I at least enjoy it, but I'm not setting my expectations too high.

Negator

Less than ONE DAY.

ONE. DAY.

It doesn't seem real. Is this really happening? How many E3s did we see this game again?

BocoDragon

Negator said:
Less than ONE DAY.

ONE. DAY.

It doesn't seem real. Is this really happening? How many E3s did we see this game again?

And the thing is... E3 2010 is right around the corner, so it could have been 5.

ZoddGutts

hateradio said:
If you have Balthier in your party at all times, you actually start to think that he's the main character--second to Ashe. I also played many hours in XII, time flies when you're just going from area to are in a setting where "grinding" doesn't even feel like it. Also, I think the fact that there is no "battle music" helps with that, since it just feels, natural.

XIII seems like it has some similar things, the "hunts" mostly and probably the large map in Pulse, but at the same time it's the opposite, where the battle seems like it would be challenging, coming from a lot of people saying this. I guess I'll just have to wait and see, like most people on Tuesday.

Was Balthier suppose to be the main character? It sure feels like it. Also hear that Matsuno was force to add Vaan's character as the main protagonist. If he wasn't the original protagonist than it was Balthier? Shame they force him to do that. Vaan's character is a waste of time and pointless to the overall scheme of the story.

Talon

ZoddGutts said:
Was Balthier suppose to be the main character? It sure feels like it. Also hear that Matsuno was force to add Vaan's character as the main protagonist. If he wasn't the original protagonist than it was Balthier? Shame they force him to do that. Vaan's character is a waste of time and pointless to the overall scheme of the story.
Apparently Basch was supposed to be the main character.

BocoDragon

ZoddGutts said:
I think it was actually Basch who was the main character.. but sure your point stands.

Edit: ....Beaten!!

Erasus

hateradio said:

I am in the same boat. Never completed FFXII, but I friggin love it! I actually like the story a bit and the battle system is great. I also liked FFX :lol

Mr Rivuz

Yesterday after more than 10hours into the game i had the first battle that gave me the feeling of how the battle system works, against a boss that killed me a few times
jungxiang prototype
. For the first time in the game i had to change optimum often to keep my hp high without letting the boss's break bar getting empty...
It killed me 3 or 4 times (god bless the restart option ^^) but i really really enjoyed when i finally threw that thing up in the air and started to pummel it without letting it touch the ground :D
I think it will give me great satisfactions to face the classic Final Fantasy's optional uber powered monsters after finishing the main story :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom