• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skel said:
Btw - In general, is this game difficult and requires grinding levels? Or do the levels you gain naturally allow you to beat bosses and harder mobs like normal? Thanks.

The enemies require you to make use of battle system i.e. Paradigm Shifts. It is also useful to figure one or two extra paradigms, since not all of them are there by default. There is not almost no grinding so far (20 hours in), and the leveling system is locked till you move past story moments, so you cannot really overlevel.

CAVE343

I'm 7 hours in and so far it's been great. The battle system really opens up after a while and I haven't seen everything yet. For now, it was worth the long wait.

One thing no real spoiler but:
Hope is such a pain in the ass, hope he gets better :)

krumble

My order from The Hut arrived this morning at work....
man I want to get home instead of sitting here getting all hype'd up!

Going to the midnight launch to get my preorder. So freaking hyped, despite some of the reviews. I'm going to try to get some sleep this evening so I can actually play it when I get back.

Bliddo

bad-joey said:
One thing no real spoiler but:
Hope is such a pain in the ass, hope he gets better :)
Yep, I wish I was able to ditch him like in Dragon Age
- "Yes?"
- "Can I ask you something?"
- "Ask away"
- "WHY are you still here? fuck off, pleeeease"

Footos22

Just went to my mums for lunch and i just caught the postie!

now i just have to wait 3hrs and 10 mins to get home and play it :(

Thank you shop-to never let me down yet

momolicious said:
wait, the OST is sold out on the website? i thought it was for preorder thats why it says sold out
Im still waiting for this to ship, I really want to listen to the battle theme. Im disappointed the "final fantasy victory fanfare" isnt in it anymore, its such a memorable part of FF

Tomorrow cant come soon enough!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Durante said:
You know what I didn't expect in FF13?
Vehicle sections.
WTF?

THere's one, and it lasts 5 minutes. :lol

Jeels

So I want to go to the midnight launch at my local gamestop, but I don't actually want to hang out there and "celebrate" or whatever. What time should I go? Just close to midnight? 11:55?

Jeels said:
So I want to go to the midnight launch at my local gamestop, but I don't actually want to hang out there and "celebrate" or whatever. What time should I go? Just close to midnight? 11:55?

Yeah or before that since they will go ahead and do your payment so they get you the game at midnight. The last midnight thing I went to was for the DSi with my roommate and it was rather dull, lol. I think one of my facebook friends is going to dress up as a Black Mage or something at the local gamestop midnight release X_X now that I think about it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Jeels said:
Having been to a midnight launch before they usually let loose with selling sometimes and start about 20 minutes before midnight. It'll depend on the store, but if you got it pre-ordered then you got nothing to worry about anyways.

Jeels said:

Depending on your area you have quite the long line by that time. If you can get there around 10 you will get an earlier position in line and thus a shorter wait. At least that's how we run these midnight things at my location.

If anyone is going to the gamestop midnight thing launch in Miami, Florida at 163rd, I have the pleasure of working all today and well into the event. I'll see you there

inner-G

Banned
Showing up at 11:55 and having to wait 30-45 min. is faster than waiting for 2hrs. to get out faster, imo.

I'm prob. waiting until 11:40ish. (Plus its cold here!)

Jeels

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I do have it preordered so I'm not worried about that, but my friend wants me to pick him up a copy too, and he does not have it preordered...

Edit: Right, I don't mind standing at the end of a line when I'll get my game faster then standing at the front of a line for hours.

Amneisac

My LE hardcover guide and PS3 copy have shipped from Amazon! I'm pretty psyched. Only problem is I started playing XII this weekend and now I want to finish that. Oh well, I'm only about 8 hours in, I'll just take a break and come back to it after XIII.

Tamanon

Banned
Aight, I've decided to call in sick to work tomorrow to play this, already set the plan in motion by swinging by the boss's office coughing and sneezing(helps that I'm actually a bit sick).

Will plan better in the future, and actually schedule days off when Persona 3 Portable comes out.:lol

Wonder if the midnight launch crowd will be different here than it was when Wrath of the Lich King came out. I actually expect less women, if only because a surprising amount of them played in town here.

Jrmint

Amneisac said:
My LE hardcover guide and PS3 copy have shipped from Amazon! I'm pretty psyched. Only problem is I started playing XII this weekend and now I want to finish that. Oh well, I'm only about 8 hours in, I'll just take a break and come back to it after XIII.
Wow how did you get Amazon to ship it so early? Just got the email from Amazon today that it shipped.

bounchfx

oh, I guess the midnight launch is tonight. totally forgot. I don't have any money though haha. and after seeing games hit 40$ within a week or two of launch I'm starting to think I should wait...

but it's fucking FF.. and it's a midnight launch.. and I can take some money off GoW3/pokemon to pick this up... god dammit, what to do!?

Diebuster

My LE guide has just shipped, Amazon says it'll get here tomorrow instead of the 11th :D

Game is in the 'prepping for shipping' stage right now.

Einbroch

Banned
bounchfx said:
oh, I guess the midnight launch is tonight. totally forgot. I don't have any money though haha. and after seeing games hit 40$ within a week or two of launch I'm starting to think I should wait...

but it's fucking FF.. and it's a midnight launch.. and I can take some money off GoW3/pokemon to pick this up... god dammit, what to do!?
There's your answer.

ithorien

Skel said:
Wow how did you get Amazon to ship it so early? Just got the email from Amazon today that it shipped.

My guide shipped yesterday, the game is still sitting "not yet shipped" and I have release date delivery. It's all so random :(

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Put in my preorder yesterday. I'm kind of excited. It'll be my first attempt at a polygon based Final Fantasy since VII. ^_^

Diablos54

Only 1 day left! I've thankfully managed to ignore pretty much all media of the game (Apart from the demo), so I can go into it completely fresh! :D

Cornbread78

Picking up tonight at midnight release. I'll want to dig right ion, but I'm waaaayy too into WKC right now. Damn oh Damn, what should I do?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Jeels said:

I normally show up at 11:50pm. You have to get your purchase cleared in their system before midnight. Either bring your receipt or give them your name and they will print off a new receipt. This is so everyone has a check out receipt and they can just hand out the copies rapidly without having to verify every single person once midnight comes around.

I was around #400 in line for Modern Warfare 2 and the entire check out process only took 10 minutes, so no need to show up real early.

Jeels

Darkness said:
I normally show up at 11:50pm. You have to get your purchase cleared in their system before midnight. Either bring your receipt or give them your name and they will print off a new receipt. This is so everyone has a check out receipt and they can just hand out the copies rapidly without having to verify every single person once midnight comes around.

I was around #400 in line for Modern Warfare 2 and the entire check out process only took 10 minutes, so no need to show up real early.

What about for my friend, he didn't preorder. Should I go ahead sometime today and preorder for him too?

kinggroin

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
WTFFFFFFFFFFFF? Boss at the end of
Chapter 9
is TOUGH! I rarely did manage to Stagger him! Took me 18 minutes >.<

Wait what? This game is
broken up into chapters?
. Oh man, that doesn't leave much room for backtracking and exploration, does it?

I have been on media/info blackout since, well, the last E3 trailer (announced for 360) so I might be missing something here.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Jeels said:
What about for my friend, he didn't preorder. Should I go ahead sometime today and preorder for him too?

I'd imagine you can just show up anytime before midnight and pre-order/pay it all off then.

ZeroRay

Hellsing321 said:
Damnit! Amazon still hasn't shipped my order yet, and I got release date shipping! You better not screw me Amazon.

Don't get too worked up. I had a release date delivery game order ship at midnight on the day of release and still got it 12 hours later.

That said, mine is "shipping soon". :lol

squall211

Hellsing321 said:
Damnit! Amazon still hasn't shipped my order yet, and I got release date shipping! You better not screw me Amazon.

I wouldn't worry about it. I've done quite a few release day or next day shipping from Amazon and they quite often don't ship it until late afternoon. You should be fine.

Durante

thetrin said:
THere's one, and it lasts 5 minutes. :lol
That just makes it crazier. Who implements a whole gameplay mechanic (albeit a very simple one) for one 10 minute section in a 60 hour game?
Square Enix, that's who.

Hellsing321 said:

The latest I had it ship was at around 7-9PM (EST) that monday night and it shipped from Arizona. It made it here on time (VA), Tuesday.

Durante said:
That just makes it crazier. Who implements a whole gameplay mechanic (albeit a very simple one) for one 10 minute section in a 60 hour game?
Square Enix, that's who.

Wait, what? :lol

Explain please.

Lince

Banned
this morning I got in the mail my FFXIII copy along with BFBC2... but lo and behold, it was an Xbox 360 regular copy instead of a collectors edition of the PS3 version :lol after a very pleasant and civil phone call my PS3 CE version was on its way "again" (express mail) and should have it late this afternoon...

damn Spanish monkeys

edit: I wonder what's inside the 360 version, it does indeed weigh a ton.

Tamanon

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:

Explain please.

It's just like how Square will throw a random minigame into their past ones. Like Final Fantasy 7 and the motorcycle chase.

No biggie, it's par for the course. I'd be more surprised if there wasn't a random minigame in the game.

Durante

Fimbulvetr said:

Explain please.
Not a story spoiler, but I mark it because it was the strangest surprise to me so far in the game :lol

At some point quite early on you find this large derelict Pulse machine. Once reactivated, you can ride it around for 5-10 minutes, picking up power by breaking walls, which can be used for an attack that destroys large groups of enemies (catapulting some of them into the air).
Screenshots: [1] [2]

Hex

Banned
Faceplate shipped from Best Buy and FFXIII for PS3 and Evangelion 1.1 bluray preparing to ship from Amazon :D

Aaaaaaaand I will be stuck in St Augustine for the next three days while they sit here unopened *cry*

Tamanon

Banned
Fumetsu said:
Faceplate shipped from Best Buy and FFXIII for PS3 and Evangelion 1.1 bluray preparing to ship from Amazon :D

Aaaaaaaand I will be stuck in St Augustine for the next three days while they sit here unopened *cry*

Yeah but you're in St Augustine!

Did they finally finish the new Bridge of Lions? I love that town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom