• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Rivuz

Blablurn said:
do we know if the UK version will also feature more foreign subtitles? or is it english-only?
I got the italian xbox360 version, and it is multi 5. The game language it's the same of the dashboard. I've heard the uk version is the same, but can't directly confirm.

Blablurn said:
do we know if the UK version will also feature more foreign subtitles? or is it english-only?

yes, UK version have foreign subtitles.

Yesterday I played 7h , damn it feels like going back to the PSX era when I put so many hours to FF games! :lol

In part I love the battle system, so dynamic and fast, you have to be fast reading the combat and adapting your formation to answer the continous changes that can occur.

But I fear that the weight of the game resides in the combat and the story and world created, definetly the combat holds up (for now) but the world and mythos isn't very interesting, you think that being something the team put so much emphasis it will be more interesting but the fact is, I don't really care about the world, I barely read the entries regarding those things.

Relaxed Muscle said:
I don't really care about the world, I barely read the entries regarding those things.

That's why you don't find the world interesting. Read the entries, they explain a lot more than cutscenes.

Blablurn

Relaxed Muscle said:
yes, UK version have foreign subtitles.

Yesterday I played 7h , damn it feels like going back to the PSX era when I put so many hours to FF games! :lol

do you know if the game does also include german subtitles?

Castor Krieg said:
That's why you don't find the world interesting. Read the entries, they explain a lot more than cutscenes.

I read a few of them, but they didn't really get my attention...so I stopped reading, maybe I will, but more for obligation than actually interest...

Blablurn said:
do you know if the game does also include german subtitles?

I don't know for sure, sorry, but having spanish subtitles, like I heard and saw, german is pretty much assured. :lol :lol

Lyonaz

Played 10 hours of FXIII yesterday with some BFBC2 between breaks. Now have 17 hours clocked.

The story is interesting enough to keep me playing, but what's really well done is the Datalog with recaps of events in chapters. It also gives insight into the characters. What they were thinking or feeling during those events. Very well done.
The inclusion of a codex thing should be made standard in all RPGs.

I'm loving the harder fights in this game, the combat works amazingly well. I love that fights actually need strategy and good use of Paradigms. Such a great battlesystem.

I don't really like the look of the crystarium system, makes it difficult to see what stats you get when upgrading or which are already activated. They should have just gone for a techtree-like setup instead of this fancy crystal galaxy-type thingamajig. I keep clicking back to see how many open slots there are for a paradigm role to fill and just press x.
They should have made it more clarifying.

I'm loving the game. Also Oerba Yun Fang is the prettiest and hottest female character ever in a videogame.:D

Ikkarus

My LE copy and LE guide have just arrived at work.

Cant wait to go home and play this now!
I've tried hard to stay away from hearing too much about the game so hopefully I will enjoy this.

aryies

Neo Member
man the combat really does carry this game. i seriously HATE being outside of combat. the linear walkways really are zzzzz. but yeah, combat, awesome. i died on trash 4 times in a row :lol not used to that in an ff game.

Chapter
battles really are a chore. The enemies are numerous and they tend to gang up on one target. Still, the battle system pulls through. Incredible feat.

Ronok

Dispatched
Delivery Estimate: 13 Mar 2010

FFUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

My girlfriend made the order and I never bothered to check shipping, I assumed she'd get something that guaranteed arrival on the day.

How they can take 4 days to deliver from one place in the UK to another is a fucking mystery to me though. >.>

Maybe I'll get fucking lucky or something though. :'(

hertog

I'm experiencing a lot of screen tear on my tv during cut scenes. Anyone else has this problem, or is my ps3 acting up?

aryies

Neo Member
hertog said:
I'm experiencing a lot of screen tear on my tv during cut scenes. Anyone else has this problem, or is my ps3 acting up?

sounds like a ps3 scaling issue maybe? but im running ps3 version here, scaled to 1080p. no tearing at all.

hertog

aryies said:
sounds like a ps3 scaling issue maybe? but im running ps3 version here, scaled to 1080p. no tearing at all.

yeah I'm using my SD tv (I know, I live in the dark ages), but in the opening FMV's I just had constant screen tearing on the first and last quarter of the screen.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
hertog said:
yeah I'm using my SD tv (I know, I live in the dark ages), but in the opening FMV's I just had constant screen tearing on the first and last quarter of the screen.

Definitely something up with either your TV or how the game handles the SD output.

Aretak

TTP said:
Definitely something up with either your TV or how the game handles the SD output.
It's definetly the game, as I'm getting horrific tearing in SD too (don't get it with any other game specifically in SD). There's frequently tearing at several different places on the screen at the same time, and it persists through FMV cutscenes (even the intro). Seems us poor saps still stuck in 1997 haven't been considered during production. :(

hertog

Aretak said:
It's definetly the game, as I'm getting horrific tearing in SD too (don't get it with any other game specifically in SD). There's frequently tearing at several different places on the screen at the same time, and it persists through FMV cutscenes (even the intro). Seems us poor saps still stuck in 1997 haven't been considered during production. :(

It helps a lot when I use my wide screen tv and turn the brightness a bit down

Durante

You know what I didn't expect in FF13?
Vehicle sections.
WTF?

aryies said:
looks amazing. honestly videos and screens dont do it justice. its not a texture powerhouse, but it just manages to always look, so far, fucking amazing.
Yeah, most games look worse in screenshots than in person, but FF13 is an extreme case. It looks absolutely gorgeous almost all the time both during exploration and battles (and, of course, cutscenes).

Lyonaz said:
The story is interesting enough to keep me playing, but what's really well done is the Datalog with recaps of events in chapters. It also gives insight into the characters. What they were thinking or feeling during those events. Very well done.
The inclusion of a codex thing should be made standard in all RPGs.
I agree, the Datalog is awesome. It really is at the level of a Bioware codex in terms of background information, but it includes information about the events in (and leading up to) the game as well. Awesome. As you say, this should be standard.

TTP said:
Yeah, zero tearing. Game is v-synced so it might drop frames, but never tear.
Thank god for that. Though it seems that they messed up SD output a bit.

hertog

2 hours in, game looks great but there are so many characters that I'm not feeling the story right now.

the story feels a lot like tales of symphonia right now, with the humans turning into monsters

If anyone receives their order from The Hut, can you say if it came by van or postie (special edition). My limited edition guide arrived, but no game. Don't want to wait in all day for a delivery van if there is no hope. Poor show having a first class item take more than 3 days to travel from Coventry to Manchester!!

The guide is lush though. Didn't expect it to be quite as nice quality as it actually is. Well worth the £13 :)

Maldoror

I'm having awful screen tearing too on my SDTV (ps3 version). It's almost unbearable, even the square enix logo at the beginning doesn't show up properly.
Waiting for a patch...

Aretak

state_vector_collapse said:
If anyone receives their order from The Hut, can you say if it came by van or postie (special edition). My limited edition guide arrived, but no game. Don't want to wait in all day for a delivery van if there is no hope. Poor show having a first class item take more than 3 days to travel from Coventry to Manchester!!

The guide is lush though. Didn't expect it to be quite as nice quality as it actually is. Well worth the £13 :)
My SE that came today was from The Hut. Delivered via the normal postie. In a jiffy bag too, so the outer box was nicely bashed about. :-\

The tearing is so bad in SD. I don't think I'm going to be able to play it until I get a HDTV. :(

aryies

Neo Member
Aretak said:
My SE that came today was from The Hut. Delivered via the normal postie. In a jiffy bag too, so the outer box was nicely bashed about. :-\

The tearing is so bad in SD. I don't think I'm going to be able to play it until I get a HDTV. :(

i just changed my setting to SDTV, lo and behold, im pretty sure it turns off vsync. tearing everywhere. wtf square? seriously. i mean, it doesnt affect me, but still.

Aretak said:

That's disappointing re: the jiffy bag considering they box the guide.

Ikkarus

Doc Evils said:
Anyone else going? I might be going too.

Yup I'm going with a friend of mine. Should be a blast, the only trouble I'm going to have is lumbering that LE guide with me around London to get it signed!

I'll take some pictures in case anyone wants to have a look afterwards.

demonkaze

GAME sent out my order on Sunday and i paid Express delivery (next day) on it. Any idea if I should expect it today or will it most likely come on Tuesday now?

demonkaze said:
GAME sent out my order on Sunday and i paid Express delivery (next day) on it. Any idea if I should expect it today or will it most likely come on Tuesday now?

Will be tuesday mate, mine shipped fucking thursday or so said the email yet no sign of it.

demonkaze

supermackem said:
Will be tuesday mate, mine shipped fucking thursday or so said the email yet no sign of it.

I ordered two weeks ago as well, not quite sure why i'm paying extra for delivery. Free delivery gets to you on release day too, right?

They took an age with BFBC2 as well, think i'll be using a different site from now on to order in the uk.

scotcheggz

Did they bump the UK release date up for this? I was always expecting the 12th, since games are normally out on a friday here. I just went to preorder and it said avaiable for immediate dispatch?!

I've been steering clear of FFXIII chatter, so this is probably me just being stupid. But what's with the Tuesday release? Not that I'm complaining :lol

DMeisterJ

Banned
It so surreal that this game is actually coming out in a day. It's something I never thought would happen... My hype is through the roof at this moment! D:

scotcheggz said:
Did they bump the UK release date up for this? I was always expecting the 12th, since games are normally out on a friday here. I just went to preorder and it said avaiable for immediate dispatch?!

I've been steering clear of FFXIII chatter, so this is probably me just being stupid. But what's with the Tuesday release? Not that I'm complaining :lol
It is an odd release date for the UK but it's the same as the US one, which is good.

My Collector's Edition has been dispatched from Amazon and will arrive tomorrow (good ol' Prime!).

_Xenon_

Banned
Man the hype is fucking BURNING me :lol :lol

I'm gonna buy a PS3 slim with this bad boy tomorrow right after work. It better be worth it dammit.

Ikkarus

scotcheggz said:

It's to do with Square-Enix wanting to do a global release of the game at the same time (excpet for Japan). A few other games have done this too the last I can recall being MGS4.

I for one am glad! :D

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
ehh congrats guys for getting the game! ( I hate you all)

Whooo - my Hut order is here. Interestingly it came via courier, yet some are getting theirs via Royal Mail. But mine had the courier sticker on and needed to be signed for.

Jrmint

Yay my LE guide just shipped from Amazon (18.99 thanks again GAF)! Says it won't be here till the 10th, but oh well.

I will be picking this up at midnight tonight, cannot wait :D

Btw - In general, is this game difficult and requires grinding levels? Or do the levels you gain naturally allow you to beat bosses and harder mobs like normal? Thanks.

_Xenon_ said:
Man the hype is fucking BURNING me :lol :lol

I'm gonna buy a PS3 slim with this bad boy tomorrow right after work. It better be worth it dammit.

Even if it isn't worth it only for FXIII, it will be worth it for all the other exclusives you get to check out. I hope the PS3 slim scarcity thing isn't an issue for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom