• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxas

I agree with the gambit suggestion for the other team members. I have lost count the amount of times i am begging Hope to heal me, but he decides to use fucking Esuna on me instead.

Also the way the game ends if the party leader is killed blows. At least let the AI control the rest of the fight, give a chance to throw a phoenix down or something.

Zoe

Roxas said:
I agree with the gambit suggestion for the other team members. I have lost count the amount of times i am begging Hope to heal me, but he decides to use fucking Esuna on me instead.

As long as all members have at least 70% HP, that shouldn't happen.

That's why I always put my main healer as my leader though.

Oli

Inferno313 said:
The game has 6 themes it gives you for different trophies. I don't know all of them, but I got a Sahz one for collecting info on 100 enemies.

It's actually quite nice looking too.

EDIT: Unless you are talking 360. In that case, you get Gamerpics for the equivlant achivements.

Yep, speaking of the 360 version. I guess Gamerpics are cool, but themes are better :(

Paper Tiger

Neo Member
teh_pwn said:

:lol

Anybody know how to use the Sentinel role effectively? I've had Snow forced into my party as the leader, and I'm having a tough time figuring how how to best use his abilities manually. I feel like every time I choose AutoBattle he just does 4x taunt.... which doesn't seem that helpful.

Any manual control tips, or any good paradigm sets to alternate back and forth with? I've heard the Sentinel role is very helpful late-game, so I'd like to figure it out now.

Thanks guys :D

Kronotech

The battle system is not my favorite of the series (I really miss the standard battle systems of yore). It's a step up from XII (IMO) as it's a little more active but still is pretty "Auto". There are definitely some battles that take some quick L1's but that's about it.

The linear battle areas of running in a straight line, fighting, grabbing a treasure to the side, then going back to the path, is getting a little frustrating. I do miss the world maps.

I enjoy the split character story's still and semi-character growth.

The crystarium system was cool at first but then I realized I couldn't really build my character in any direction. Everyone is learning the same things (based on what role they play).

I'm having fun overall.

Nose Master

rayner said:
Just started Chapter 10, and was wondering if there is use for the "Sentinel" in the game besides the few instances where it's obvious that the boss is going to open a can of whop-ass. It seems that every other job-class has it's advantage but this one... am I just not seeing it's potential?

You don't use it much til Chapter 11 or so. I didn't, at least. It's mostly just for "oh shit!" moments, though. Or having a sentinel tank while you land your initial buffs, then switching over.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Paper Tiger said:

Anybody know how to use the Sentinel role effectively? I've had Snow forced into my party as the leader, and I'm having a tough time figuring how how to best use his abilities manually. I feel like every time I choose AutoBattle he just does 4x taunt.... which doesn't seem that helpful.

Any manual control tips, or any good paradigm sets to alternate back and forth with? I've heard the Sentinel role is very helpful late-game, so I'd like to figure it out now.

I had Snow in my party most of the time, but the only time I used him as sentinel was field medic (MED/SEN/MED). It was a necessity in the final battles in the game. Otherwise I used him as a COM or RAV.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Hey guys, how do I transform the weapons? I have one of fang's weapons at max level and I want to transform it but don't know how

What are the best weapons for each character? I remember seeing a chart someone made pages back, but with searches turned off, I don't want to waste an hour going through pages of posts. Does anyone have that list?

Giolon

Paper Tiger said:

AutoBattle (AutoGuard) on Sentinels will prioritize getting aggro first. Until every enemy has aggro on the sentinel, they will spam Provoke/Challenge. Once that happens, they will spam different guarding moves depending on what types of enemies are attacking them and how much health they have (Mediguard if at low health, Steelguard if at higher health, Vendetta if an enemy is hitting them a lot or something, etc.)

Big Papa Husker said:
What are the best weapons for each character? I remember seeing a chart someone made pages back, but with searches turned off, I don't want to waste an hour going through pages of posts. Does anyone have that list?

There are no best weapons, it all depends on your playstyle.

Anyway, I can take Adamantoise easily using a summon, still working on killing him without one.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Himuro said:
There is no best weapon. It all depends on preference (ie. whether you prefer a strength or magic based character, or maintaining a steady atb gauge at all times;etc)

To be fair, each character's crystarium varies enough that you can say all of them have a specific job or version of that job they're set up for. For example, Vanille is a jammer of the debuff kind so giving her the Belladonna is most likely the 'best fit'. But if you've been playing her as a blaster the whole game then you are definitely fine giving her the magic up weapon. Or giving Snow the guard-related weapon seems like the best choice, but there are people who never even use him as a tank (I did for the whole game and loved it). So you're right that it's up to the player's playstyle, but I think there is a way to definitely min/max it as well.

KingDizzi

Banned
Up to part where you can choose whom is in your party. Are there 3 characters more powerful then the others or are they pretty much the same?

Currently have Lightning, Fag and Snow/Hope can't choose between the last two.

Edit - How long are chapters 10-13 in comparison to the first 9? Must be pretty much near the end by now.

WYWY

Paper Tiger said:

I assume sentinel == defender.

I don't use it that much as a party leader. But it is very competent when it is fully AI-controlled.

I believe the AI does 4x taunt the first round to get the attention of every enemy. I can't remember if it does something more intelligent the second time.

In general you'll want to mix taunts with guards/counters. Taunts are important to get the attention of every enemy. The role is useful when facing high-damage enemies who looks like they are about to deliver a big wallop. Also useful when the party is moderately damaged - activate a defender to get all enemies' attention and have a healer recover everyone.

RS4- said:
Cancel set, that's using the ATB thing right? I didn't know the mechanics around it, didn't realize where was an exact way to "abuse" it. I thought it was a matter of just switching, instead of having a particular set involved.

This is a good time to plug my little bit of advice page that has lots of strats and tactics for FFXIII. Spoiler free.

http://tbtactics.blogspot.com/2010/03/want-to-be-good-at-ffxiii.html

Paradigm Cancel - The game awards you a free full ATB bar for every other paradigm switch as long as you filled the 3 ATB bars then switched. Charge ATB - switch - free full ATB - Charge ATB - switch - free full ATB, etc. You can do this with any paradigm config, even something like 2x rav/rav/rav.

So for example you start the battle. You charge up 3 ATB bars, and you perform your actions. Now switch to another paradigm and your ATB bar will be fully charged without having to wait. Then since you just got a free full bar, you have to wait to charge that one up again 3 bars before switching. Note that after using your free bar you can still switch to other paradigms in the meantime, but you won't get another free one until you let 3 bars charge again then switch.

WYWY said:
I assume sentinel == defender.

I don't use it that much as a party leader. But it is very competent when it is fully AI-controlled.

I believe the AI does 4x taunt the first round to get the attention of every enemy. I can't remember if it does something more intelligent the second time.

In general you'll want to mix taunts with guards/counters. Taunts are important to get the attention of every enemy. The role is useful when facing high-damage enemies who looks like they are about to deliver a big wallop. Also useful when the party is moderately damaged - activate a defender to get all enemies' attention and have a healer recover everyone.

Sounds like the sentinel plays like any MMOG tank, except that you don't actually HIT anything to draw it's attention, you just stand there and look pretty. :lol

KZObsessed

Ahh I've gotten to mission 16 but I can't do it. Think I'm gonna just carry on and finish the story and finish this stuff post game. I remember I dismantled an accessory or two back when I first unlocked the ability to upgrade weapons just while I was experimenting, hope I didn't fuck up my chance of getting the Treasure Hunter trophy. It's such a lame upgrading system. Materia Fusion in Crisis Core was so much better than this.

kiun

Paper Tiger said:

The main reason why you want a Sentinel in your team is besides playing the tank role, they also reduce the damage done to your other members.

Early in the game, I don't think you have much options when playing as Sentinel. I would just auto-defend, and switch to Commando when your team staggers the enemies etc.

Paper Tiger said:

Taunt, then steelguard/mediguard. If you're on ch 7, the only time you NEED to use his sentinel role is vs the two Aerial Snipers and a Falco Velocycle near the end of Chapter 7.. but you could also use a deceptisol and avoid them since it's a random encounter.

Anytime you encounter a Velocycle alone, you can break it with 2x rav cancels to avoid its gatling gun going off.

kiun

Zzoram said:
Too bad they don't let you do it until you're half-way through the game.

Not sure if this have been mentioned but I think the reason why they forced party leaders early on is to have you to learn the different classes. This is essential because of how you can only control the party leader during battles.

You can argue that they should trust the player and have the option available earlier though.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Ending spoilers:

"Hey, no matter what happens, we can't kill Orphan because that would be bad and stuff."

"Right. Also, we need to reiterate this decision for every cutscene for the next 2 hours."

*party gets to Orphan*

"Fuck it, let's kill him."

Great game, but the ending was pretty awful. Especially the part where everyone got turned to Ci'eth or however the fuck you spell it, and they all turned back to normal because of the infinite power of positive thoughts! At that point I was hoping that the Maker would come back and be all like "yeah I turned them back because you're being kind of a dick, Orphan" or something because that would've been less dumb.

KZObsessed

Toki767 said:
I think I've settled on Lightning/Fang/Hope as my team. Hope's magic is near godly. :lol

This is my team as well. Before the game came out I wanted Lightning/Sazh/Snow, but this is just the way it came together. Seems the best balance.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Lost Fragment said:
Ending spoilers:

Great game, but the ending was pretty awful. Especially the part where everyone got turned to Ci'eth or however the fuck you spell it, and they all turned back to normal because of the infinite power of positive thoughts! At that point I was hoping that the Maker would come back and be all like "yeah I turned them back because you're being kind of a dick, Orphan" or something because that would've been less dumb.

The positive thoughts stuff is a typical JRPG ending element, but *not* (edit) in this one. At least with the Ci'eth. Orphan was creating the illusion that it had turned the other party members into Ci'eth, but they really had not. It was an attempt to coerce her to become Ragnarok

Toki767 said:
I think I've settled on Lightning/Fang/Hope as my team. Hope's magic is near godly. :lol

Yeah I love that team and it seems the strategy guide people suggest that team.

One thing, the Eidolon battle time of 25 minutes is quite unrealistic, doesnt Doom expire in like 3 minutes?! I mean unless there is a way to cancel the effects of Doom.

MrOctober

Banned
Majine said:
I've never figured this out:

What triggers preemtive strike?

Running up behind an enemy and touching them without being seen. If there's no warning sign above their head they haven't seen you yet.

Also if there are already two groups fighting you can get a preemptive strike even if one of the groups sees you as long as the other doesn't as well.

Amir0x

Banned
just hitting an enemy from behind when they don't see you (exclamation point over their head)

beaten...

STANDARD FF stuff here!

ukiraros

Any tips on how to beat Sazh's eidolon in CH.8? I been struggling against it. I tried 15 times and came close 8 times with maybe with 3 more hits in order get it. Is there a quick way to boost the gestault gauge any faster against it?

Majine

Banned
MrOctober said:
Running up behind an enemy and touching them without being seen. If there's no warning sign above their head they haven't seen you yet.
Oh, well, thanks. You learn something new every day.

ukiraros said:
Any tips on how to beat Sazh's eidolon in CH.8? I been struggling against it. I tried 15 times and came close 8 times with maybe with 3 more hits in order get it. Is there a quick way to boost the gestault gauge any faster against it?

Try buffing up both Sazh and Vanille at the start of the fight, then go Rav/Rav to keep chaining attacks together, switching Vanille to medic when you need healing.

That's what worked for me.

MrOctober

Banned
ukiraros said:

Cast Vigilance and Haste right when the battle starts so that you don't get stunned as much and can hit faster since it sounds like you're getting close but not quite there. Dualcasting works well when you have health to drive the chain gauge way up.

Or exactly what the dude above said.

LiK

Teknoman said:
Is it ever good to go full on Tri-Disaster after getting someone in stagger mode?

i prefer Commando/Rav/Rav. launching them in the air is pretty fun and prevents them from attacking.

LiK

Majine said:
Launch is so satisfying. I would probably loose it if that enemy was me.

really enjoy launching enemies like the scalebeasts and behemoths. once i get started, they dont even have a chance before the stagger meter goes down.

Snipes424

I just found out that haste is probably the best ability in this entire game.

Oh, and another question, I need a
Trapezohesron gem
to upgrade my weapon to
omega
, anyone know where I could find one?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
teh_pwn said:
The positive thoughts stuff is a typical JRPG ending element, but in this one. At least with the Ci'eth. Orphan was creating the illusion that it had turned the other party members into Ci'eth, but they really had not. It was an attempt to coerce her to become Ragnarok

Ah, I see.

Teknoman said:
Is it ever good to go full on Tri-Disaster after getting someone in stagger mode?

Yes, if you want to get the multiplier up higher, if the enemy is weak against magic, or if you can just plow through them using magic anyway. And those ch 11 enemies that cast that shell that makes them immune to all phys damage even when staggered..

Teknoman

LiK said:
i prefer Commando/Rav/Rav. launching them in the air is pretty fun and prevents them from attacking.

LiK said:
really enjoy launching enemies like the scalebeasts and behemoths. once i get started, they dont even have a chance before the stagger meter goes down.

Majine said:
Launch is so satisfying. I would probably loose it if that enemy was me.

Same here, but it seems like you could really do some chain % boosting via 3 ravagers after a launch. Then again a commando boosts total damage too.

mjemirzian said:
Yes, if you want to get the multiplier up higher, if the enemy is weak against magic, or if you can just plow through them using magic anyway. And those ch 11 enemies that cast that shell that makes them immune to all phys damage even when staggered..

Hmm in that case, aside from chapter 11 (not that far yet), I guess it would be best to just do alot of shifting during stagger. Launch, and then rack up some percent increase, rinse / repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom