• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

shwimpy

Just beat the game... solid overall. I had so much fun with the combat system (second only to FF12) that 40 hours just flew by.

BTW - was it just me or are some of the trash mobs way harder than most of the bosses... I had to bypass some of them but blasted through the bosses
including the last three.

Oh, and I didn't have any issues with 'My Hands' playing in the last scene. It kinda fit? :D

dramatis

jiien said:
Edit: Side note: Army of One seems pretty useless, but looks so badass. How should I be using it? Or is it really as useless as I think it is?

Army of One is good for building stagger very quickly. If the gauge peters out while you are still Army of One-ing, then the enemy will stay in stagger until your attack ends. It's a cheap way to let your allies plonk out more damage.

If there's already discussion on what would make the game better, shouldn't that go in the spoilers thread?

Ponn

Banned
Amir0x said:
SquareEnix's disclaimer should be that people should wait 25 hours of a 40 hour game before it starts to be decent?

If nearly 2/3 of a game is handicapped, is the game only 2/3 shitty, or is it 1/3 awesome? Is 1/3 awesome enough to get "higher scores"?

Like I said, if I was to fault Squeenix it would be for that. If I were to give this game a score right now it would probably be a 8.5 which is what the game has gotten for reasonable scores.

That 5 from Edge though is around the ballpark of low scores I was ranting about.

My problem is I'm not really thinking at all. I honestly can't remember a time I've thought less about a FF battle system. Now, I have not got up to chapter 11 and we'll see about these 'training wheels'... but should I have to wait that long through an excruciatingly terrible story merely to get to something that approaches workable?

Nearly every single battle so far has been approached by me the exact same way.

Start battle,

Commando/Ravager/Saboteur -> Attacks/1st Layer of Debuffs Cast - Paradigm Shift to Ravager/Ravager/Saboteur -> ATB Cancel for extra attack -> Attack again using same class -> Paradigm Shift to original layout for another ATB Cancel -> repeat

If you couple this with a first strike attack? Forgettabout it. Round over in less than 30 secs.

This setup is so explicitly overpowered that I have not got anything less than a five star rating once. Nor have I died once outside of Shiva, even facing the "hard" (that's what the game acted like anyway) steelbacks and Wyverns or whatever the fuck in Chap 6.

You are just going to have to accept my wait till later response. Which really isn't as unreasonable as you are making it out to be. Alot of people have on some rose colored glasses when comparing this game to past FF's. I mean, for fucks sake I remember when I played FFVIII for the very first time and was told "Beware of the Trex in the woods!!" And I beat him right away. How many goblins and flans in FF do you just wail on with the normal attack button in previous FF games till later in the game? It's really not as far off as people are making it out to be. I agree it could definitely be shorter before they really open all the options up to you but I have already admitted thats a problem.

Let's also discuss the Crystarium. Is this an 'evolved' Sphere Grid? it's one of the worst advancement systems I've ever taken part in. Basically once you unlock the classes for your character, you're just guiding it down a line to advance that class. There is little to no decision making involved. Stats are scaled back to essential nothingness, and for the first 60% of the game, you'll have advanced all your stats to max by the end of a chapter until you arbitrarily beat some boss to advance the next step in the line.

It's interesting that the Crystarium is exactly as linear as the level design is. Is this a problem with HD consoles too?

Again, you have to wait. This is what I said in my initial post you quoted and was the main jist of it but you just want to rant anyways so what more can I say. They do start branching and the costs go way up and you have to start making decisons. Unless you want to grind in pulse, but there people can get their grinding on if they want which alot are. And stats are very important and more so apparent to me then any other FF game I have played. I'm seeing Lighting after just one round of upgrades going from a 10,000 per hit to 12,000. And you have to decide which crystals to go for, should I go down this route to get this Accessory crystal or should I go to saboteur and get that Pain spell? Should I go for the ATB gauge upgrade even though there is alot of 8000 cp magic crystals in front of it I don't need right now or instead forget that crystal for now and go back to Commander and get just some straight strength crystals.

In FFXII, I was like a mad scientist, tearing apart gambit setups with feverish necessity, always tossing about something that didn't work for what does. Depending on the enemy I was going to face, I'd often jump into battles I tell each of my characters I'd want them to cast something differently - a feat that rarely is necessary in FFXIII except on the rare boss which even then I barely have taken notice of.

you want to micromanage. That you won't be able to do unfortunately

In FFXIII, there's not many feasible choices. There's like 3 or 4 feasible loudouts, and you'll be switching between them while you sit back with glazed eyes and the game autokills everything in 30 seconds. It's so boring.

Yea, wait. I wish I had more Paradigm slots right now. Now that Sentinel has become a necessity i'm doing more switching in more battles now.

FF's have always been for the long haul games, I don't know why people think this one should be any different. Sure it has flaws but people are augmenting those flaws and letting those take all the enjoyment out of the game. It's not my favorite FF for sure, and i'm doubting it will be at this point but its certainly not the worst and worth judging it on the whole.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
usea said:
I hate the way you have no control over your party for a long long time, and characters are constantly joining or leaving and taking their equipment with them. The accessory Snow took with him was gone for like 10 hours.. That's incredibly annoying. FF12 was one of the best games about this. You got every character very near the beginning and nobody ever left. That was great.

Maybe you played different FFXII than me? It was Vaan alone, then Vaan with Penelo, then Vaan alone, then Vaan with Balthier & Fran & then Vaan alone again and or with Penelo.
You didn't get a full party that would stay with you without leaving until the 15-20 hour mark.

BocoDragon said:
All good points. Having gambit AI for your team members would be amazing.

DO NOT WANT!
Streamlining the micro-management of the A.I. is the best thing they streamlined in this game.
Nothing to fuck up the pacing even more than fighting a 10 minute battle, only to stop & spend another 10 minutes managing the A.I's in the menus for the next upcoming fight.

Rez said:
man, this thread makes me feel like there's something wrong with me.

I like the crystalium, I love the combat and I think the story is quite serviceable (with the way some of the characters are linked even being somewhat clever). I can't wait to play more, and I'm only on Chapter 9 (after 20 hours).

Weird.

This.

I'm loving it so far and I'm about half way through Chapter 7 (I think)

dramatis said:
Army of One is good for building stagger very quickly. If the gauge peters out while you are still Army of One-ing, then the enemy will stay in stagger until your attack ends. It's a cheap way to let your allies plonk out more damage.

Army of One is a beast if you know the trick: most of the time Lightning will have higher ATK than MAG, however Army of One is only possible if you are a Ravager. So...

Fire up Army of One, after first hit switch to Commando. Now all the subsequent hits will make use of your Commando stats aka rape the enemy.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
FTWer said:
DO NOT WANT!
Streamlining the micro-management of the A.I. is the best thing they streamlined in this game.
Nothing to fuck up the pacing even more than fighting a 10 minute battle, only to stop & spend another 10 minutes managing the A.I's in the menus for the next upcoming fight.

Oh I agree.. the way XIII is streamlined is great. While Amirox is talking about "fixing" XIII with gambits, I just think he has a good point for another game.

Giolon

FTWer said:
Maybe you played different FFXXI than me? It was Vaan alone, then Vaan with Penelo, then Vaan alone, then Vaan with Balthier & Fran & then Vaan alone again and or with Penelo.
You didn't get a full party that would stay with you without leaving until the 15-20 hour mark.
How about FFIV as well where your party is dictated the entire game, and people join/leave roughly every 5 hours - and when they leave permanently and they're wearing your good shit...say goodbye to it. The characters in FFXIII are multiclassed so there's not as much reason to swap the party. Just change the class the character is using instead of swapping the characters.
FTWer said:
DO NOT WANT!
Quoted for truth. I hated programming Gambits. And I'm a programmer by day.

Dead

well not really...yet
FTWer said:
DO NOT WANT!
So true. While streamlined, FFXIII still manages to feel like you have more control over the battle than XII.

Sure, you could just manually enter all the commands in XII, but that was about as fun as turning gambits on for all party members and just pushing forward on the control stick. XII was just too indirect. XIII at least makes you feel like you are participating in the battle.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
FTWer said:
DO NOT WANT!

They did miss one critical part, and that was placement. It is incredibly frustrating to die on a boss because the AI stands next to eachother and all get hit by big attacks. I wouldn't mind if they made this class specific either--If I pick Sentinel, the AI should go on the opposite side of the enemy, THEN provoke, etc. As it is now sometimes sentinel is soaking up AoE attacks that hit everyone anyway, not to mention casters especially never move away from them.

dramatis

BocoDragon said:
Oh I agree.. the way XIII is streamlined is great. While Amirox is talking about "fixing" XIII with gambits, I just think he has a good point for another game.

I think even the option of turning some abilities off, like in Tales, or just reordering the abilities in the menu, so that you can decide what gets done first (it would be nice if the synergist cast haste first, for crying out loud)—those are possible options that wouldn't even need Gambits that could make the system better. But they didn't put that in.

They didn't even have rotating models in the enemy data! ;__;

Castor Krieg said:
Fire up Army of One, after first hit switch to Commando. Now all the subsequent hits will make use of your Commando stats aka rape the enemy.

Not my deal, since I used Lightning as Ravager. It's not a damage-dealing attack, I think, especially since Lightning ends up falling behind in terms of max stats.

FTWer said:
Maybe you played different FFXXI than me? It was Vaan alone, then Vaan with Penelo, then Vaan alone, then Vaan with Balthier & Fran & then Vaan alone again and or with Penelo.

Well I'm not sure about FF21 but in 12 you'd have a full party around the 10 hour mark. And then they never left, ever.

Giolon

Papercuts said:
They did miss one critical part, and that was placement. It is incredibly frustrating to die on a boss because the AI stands next to eachother and all get hit by big attacks. I wouldn't mind if they made this class specific either--If I pick Sentinel, the AI should go on the opposite side of the enemy, THEN provoke, etc. As it is now sometimes sentinel is soaking up AoE attacks that hit everyone anyway, not to mention casters especially never move away from them.

If I had to choose one single complaint about the battle AI it would be this. You can encourage people to move by changing their class. Anyone doing a melee attack will try to move closer, anyone doing a ranged attack will try to move away. Sentinels and Medics stand their ground wherever they are. Swapping people to different roles temporarily can get them to move, but....it's a kludge at best.

So I decided to start a new challenge run for a day or two until Resonance of Fate hits. Here are the limitations:

No auto-battle.
No shrouds.
No grinding or fighting the same enemy group twice.
No missions during the main game (besides the mandatory Ch 11 ones).
Get 5 stars on every encounter.. preferably as quickly as possible.
I may possibly add no weapon/accessory upgrades, but I'm not sure whether that's necessary or not. In any case I haven't upgraded yet.

I'm through Ch 4. One big issue is overleveling in the crystarium, which makes it impossible to get 5 stars if your atk/mag is too high. If you thought the first half of the game was boring auto-battle, try this and you may be more entertained from the get go.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Giolon said:
If I had to choose one single complaint about the battle AI it would be this. You can encourage people to move by changing their class. Anyone doing a melee attack will try to move closer, anyone doing a ranged attack will try to move away. Sentinels and Medics stand their ground wherever they are. Swapping people to different roles temporarily can get them to move, but....it's a kludge at best.
^ Yea I discovered this strange aspect of the battle design last night. I had to quickly toggle Lightning to commando to get her to move closer to the boss and away from Fang, who was Sentinel provoking a big attack which would impact Light if I wasn't careful. Problem is that I'd rather be healing using Light, so it was a strange dance to get her to attack the boss, then switch back to healing and hoping she didn't wander too close to Fang...

Rez said:

I like the crystalium, I love the combat and I think the story is quite serviceable (with the way some of the characters are linked even being somewhat clever). I can't wait to play more, and I'm only on Chapter 9 (after 20 hours).

Weird.

I'm only up to the end of chapter 5 and I love it. From what I hear 1-5 are the worst, so I think it's safe to say I'll enjoy the rest of the game.

Giolon

Rez said:

Weird.
Yeah kind of sucks feeling like you're the only one in the official thread that's enjoying the game (like I do as well), but hey thems the breaks sometimes. I was mildly interested the first three chapters, started enjoying it in Chapter 4 or so, and fell in love in Chapter 7/8. Stockholm Syndrome maybe? XD

RS4-

Any tips on the second
Barthandelus
fight? I got him down to 100k and died from the nuke before I could cast renew.

Rolling with Light, Fang and Hope. Casting the shroud with haste. When staggered, I go with com/com/rav because magic does shit damage lol. The usual med/sen/med when hp is low or if I really need esuna.

FUCK DAZE. I can only hope he casts cursega or poison just so I can get out of daze. Not sure if I should keep the rainbow anklet on all three chars. since I get hit by the damn thing anyway.

Random doom/death? is annoying too. Sometimes I'd get it when he's down to 1.6mill hp, other times I'd get it when I take him down to half a mill or so.

Pure grind just to take him out.

edit - nm, doom is time based.

RS4- said:
Any tips on the second
Barthandelus

Chapter 11 boss #2 5 stars.. no grinding.
Crystarium about 80% finished if you haven't been grinding.
Party: Light, Sahz, Vanille
Weapons: Lv.* Gladius, Deneb Duellers, and Belladonna Wand
Accessories: +hp, +atk/mag
Cancel Set 1 (stagger): rav/rav/rav, rav/rav/rav
Cancel Set 2 (buff/debuff) : com/syn/sab, rav/syn/sab
Cancel Set 3 (heal): com/com/med, med/rav/med

If you farmed for uber weapons/accessories and max crystarium, or if you use a Fortisol/Aerisol you will have an easy time of this boss. However, none of those things are necessary to get a 5 star rating on this fight.

This boss comes in two phases. During the first phase he doesn't have any really dangerous moves, so this is your opportunity to seriously wail on him and take most of his health off. Switch between set 2 to get up buffs/debuffs - the Imperil debuff is what really puts the hurt on him, so make sure that is up before even bothering to attack. Next switch between set 1 to stagger him, then once he's staggered drop as many commando attacks on him as possible. Once he shows his face (phase 2) stagger him then summon Odin and keep beating on him so you can ignore his phase 2 attacks a little longer. Your goal is to spend as little time as possible fighting him in phase 2.

The second phase begins when the boss shows his face. He will gain an ability that erases all your buffs and all his debuffs, and you will have to reapply them. He also has the same face laser attack as before, which still deals a good amount of damage - immediately switch to the med/rev/med set when you see him charging this. Hopefully he has very little HP left by phase 2 because he deals much more damage and you will have to play more defensively reapplying buffs/debuffs and healing. If you want 5 stars you will have to kill him in about 7-8 mins out of a 13 min goal.

celcius said:
Just finished the game, loved it :D
Now to search for post-game stuff to do...

Is there a way to start a new game with previous things carrying over?

That would make this game an instant replay for me :D

Zeliard

Giolon said:
Quoted for truth. I hated programming Gambits. And I'm a programmer by day.

Well, that would probably be why.

Gambits were wonderful. They added a heavy strategic element to the combat. Not to mention they were optional.

LiK

guys know what? i really enjoy the battle system. it's fun and engaging. i'm playing it as if it's a RTS so i guess that's why the game seems easy to me. changing Paradigms on the fly never gets old. lots of strategy right there esp with bosses.

but my pet peeve is when the story forces me to change Battle Teams or if i wanna change teams and my old setup is erased and i need to reassign them. was it so hard for S-E to allow us to save our custom Paradigm setups?

jiien

Bah, so what the heck am I doing wrong. I've killed Bituitus about 50 times now, and the guide says that the Crown/Tiara should drop easily. I five star it, have the rare drop catalog on...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Man, fuck this game I don't have time for this bullshit anymore.

Some missions are just designed in such a pathetic way it's not even funny. Time to hype some other game, will be back when I'm in the mood for 200 hours of farming and battles that last for 1 hour (and then you die by doom).

Edit - I just went out and took 5 minutes of fresh air. Never felt better. *Unpauses the game and continues* I love this game too much to quit just like that.

RS4-

mjemirzian said:
Chapter 11 boss #2 5 stars.. no grinding.
Crystarium about 80% finished if you haven't been grinding.
Party: Light, Sahz, Vanille
Weapons: Lv.* Gladius, Deneb Duellers, and Belladonna Wand
Accessories: +hp, +atk/mag
Cancel Set 1 (stagger): rav/rav/rav, rav/rav/rav
Cancel Set 2 (buff/debuff) : com/syn/sab, rav/syn/sab
Cancel Set 3 (heal): com/com/med, med/rav/med

If you farmed for uber weapons/accessories and max crystarium, or if you use a Fortisol/Aerisol you will have an easy time of this boss. However, none of those things are necessary to get a 5 star rating on this fight.

This boss comes in two phases. During the first phase he doesn't have any really dangerous moves, so this is your opportunity to seriously wail on him and take most of his health off. Switch between set 2 to get up buffs/debuffs - the Imperil debuff is what really puts the hurt on him, so make sure that is up before even bothering to attack. Next switch between set 1 to stagger him, then once he's staggered drop as many commando attacks on him as possible. Once he shows his face (phase 2) stagger him then summon Odin and keep beating on him so you can ignore his phase 2 attacks a little longer. Your goal is to spend as little time as possible fighting him in phase 2.

The second phase begins when the boss shows his face. He will gain an ability that erases all your buffs and all his debuffs, and you will have to reapply them. He also has the same face laser attack as before, which still deals a good amount of damage - immediately switch to the med/rev/med set when you see him charging this. Hopefully he has very little HP left by phase 2 because he deals much more damage and you will have to play more defensively reapplying buffs/debuffs and healing. If you want 5 stars you will have to kill him in about 7-8 mins out of a 13 min goal.

Cancel set, that's using the ATB thing right? I didn't know the mechanics around it, didn't realize where was an exact way to "abuse" it. I thought it was a matter of just switching, instead of having a particular set involved.

Dead

well not really...yet
LiK said:
but my pet peeve is when the story forces me to change Battle Teams or if i wanna change teams and my old setup is erased and i need to reassign them. was it so hard for S-E to allow us to save our custom Paradigm setups?
Thats one of the few issues I have with the game.

I would love to switch to different party leaders to try out different combinations and eidolons, but everytime you do, your paradigm deck gets erased. Kind of a pain in the ass. Wish they included a way to save your paradigm decks...

hank_tree

Just hit Gran Pulse tonight. Did 2 missions and called it an night. Really loving the game so far which surprised me a bit as I didn't like X/X-2 that much, and it really feels like a sequel to those games.

Thank you god for that database. Should be mandatory in every FF from now on. Its way better they fill in the gaps like that rather than clumsily tell you through conversation.

As i was typing this, i realized that the kind of background info im talking baout usually comes from npc conversations which are nonexistent in this game essentially....

Still, the database has made me really appreciate the world square created.

Xevren

Yoshichan said:
Man, fuck this game I don't have time for this bullshit anymore.

Some missions are just designed in such a pathetic way it's not even funny. Time to hype some other game, will be back when I'm in the mood for 200 hours of farming and battles that last for 1 hour (and then you die by doom).

That was quick, I thought you were going to farm for all 6 uber weapons and level them all up! You can do it!

Jrmint

Castor Krieg said:
Army of One is a beast if you know the trick: most of the time Lightning will have higher ATK than MAG, however Army of One is only possible if you are a Ravager. So...

Wait, what? They said in the tutorial all the passive stats in each crystarium class are spread across all classes, and the only class specific traits are the abilities themselves.

So I've been on Chapter 11 for a little while now, and I love it. This game really is like two games in one. I just wander around in awe and have done a few missions so far. I have loved it all, thought the difficulty up until now was perfect. Bosses that I died on, I only needed to get creative and change around the timing on my paradigms, and I beat them. Graphics to die for, and phenomenal music. Couldn't be happier.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Xevren said:
That was quick, I thought you were going to farm for all 6 uber weapons and level them all up! You can do it!
Read my edit~~ :/

Oli

Anyone know if there is a Premium Theme coming for this? If there's any theme I'd buy, this would be it. (if it's good of course)

Skel said:
Wait, what? They said in the tutorial all the passive stats in each crystarium class are spread across all classes, and the only class specific traits are the abilities themselves.

It's a trick, like ATB cancel. Normally switching Paradigms cancels the actions you have set, but not during Army of One. Try it with Ravager and then switch to Commando and see the diference.

Mandoric

Banned
Skel said:

It's not the stats, it's the class-specific bonus. Being Commando innately grants a 100% bonus to damage of any type, plus an added 10% per level. just like being a Ravager grants several percent to chain bonus per hit.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
dreamer3kx said:
oh shit I didn't even see them on stage, thought that was in-game for a minute. :lol

But that's the exact sort of chemistry that you see in Uncharted. Hope Square sees the value in getting the voice actors together while they record.

Snow's voice actor also was very quick to mention how it made things difficult.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0mIW4f2JVk&feature=related

j_hiro

RS4- said:
Any tips on the second
Barthandelus

Rolling with Light, Fang and Hope. Casting the shroud with haste. When staggered, I go with com/com/rav because magic does shit damage lol. The usual med/sen/med when hp is low or if I really need esuna.

FUCK DAZE. I can only hope he casts cursega or poison just so I can get out of daze. Not sure if I should keep the rainbow anklet on all three chars. since I get hit by the damn thing anyway.

Random doom/death? is annoying too. Sometimes I'd get it when he's down to 1.6mill hp, other times I'd get it when I take him down to half a mill or so.

Pure grind just to take him out.

edit - nm, doom is time based.

I used Light, Snow, and Hope which should be the same thing but I had 1.rav/com/rav, 2.rav/com/syn, 3.com/rav/med, 4.com/com/rav, and 5.med/com/med. What I did was just use 2 all the time until all 6 buffs are up (not really needed but I like to overkill). Everytime I saw 1 or 2 yellow hps I'd switch it up to 3. If all are green and all have 5-6 buffs I'd hit 1. Once he's staggered I'd use 4. Use 5 when you see 3 yellows or the nuke. Hope that helps did it on the first try. =X

jiggle

Mandoric said:
It's not the stats, it's the class-specific bonus. Being Commando innately grants a 100% bonus to damage of any type, plus an added 10% per level. just like being a Ravager grants several percent to chain bonus per hit.

what bonus does the jobs get?

Paznos said:
Man..... I've really haven't had that much trouble til Chapter 10.
Cid is tearing me up everytime and I can't get past him I get him to half health but then he does him move where he jumps in the air and takes a lot of my party's hp and debuffs them I've tried to stagger him but still trying to play catchup and heal my party, any help????

I'm going through the same shit right now.

MechaX

Alrighty. I think I'm at the bridge between Chapter 11 and 12 after fighting a major boss.
Barthandelus got pretty crazy towards the end, but he was a fun fight and I still managed to get the 5-star for him.
. I have the Stage 9 Crystarium and Vanille now has the Death spell.

Do you think I should go back to the big Gran Pulse area and start putting this spell to use on some Adamantoise to start some heavy duty gil farming/weapon upgading/mission progressing (I'm on mission 28 so far), or should I wait a little bit longer? I mean, is there a cap to how many missions I can do at this point?

Splinter

Sup, I know a lot have complained about FF13 being linear... the only FF game I've played is FFVII (really liked it). So could someone compare the linearity with that? Thanks.

Ferrio

Banned
Splinter said:
Sup, I know a lot have complained about FF13 being linear... the only FF game I've played is FFVII (really liked it). So could someone compare the linearity with that? Thanks.

Night and Day. FF7 was their least linear game since moving to PS. Optional characters, tons of nice secrets, extra bosses, minigames up the wazoo.

Oli said:
Anyone know if there is a Premium Theme coming for this? If there's any theme I'd buy, this would be it. (if it's good of course)
The game has 6 themes it gives you for different trophies. I don't know all of them, but I got a Sahz one for collecting info on 100 enemies.

It's actually quite nice looking too.

EDIT: Unless you are talking 360. In that case, you get Gamerpics for the equivlant achivements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom