• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cep

Banned
Tideas said:
they had one for FF12. That's where DA copied their tactics from.

FF12's was better implemented too(Specifically ZJS), as you gradually got stuff instead of being inundated right from the start.

Kyoufu

forgrim said:
i'm at 60 hours played and i'm almost done with every crystarium for every character...i managed 6 trapz, and only got dark matter to farm before i can get the achievement for all weapons/accessories. but gd, is money hard to find.

You can farm either Sacrifice mobs for Perfumes/Scarletite or Adamantoise for Platinum Ingots.

I prefer perfume farming, as its a constant flow of gil. Around 400k gil an hour.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
The battle music, and victory fanfare is starting to grow on me. :D

On another note, im in chapter 5 right now...should i be trying to upgrade my weapons or should i save the items im collecting and upgrade them later on?

The weapons start causing Target Time to decrease which gets annoying, I collected all items, saved all money, and just switch my characters what what items I found. Actually at End game, all my characters had their second weapons equipped, lol, crysterium upgrades seemed to cause better benefits than weapons for the fights.

The battle music vanishes in chapter 6 and doesnt reappear until like the 10th chapter then vanishes again and doesnt come back, to my memory. Battle Theme in chapter 6 is fantastic though!

jiien said:
You don't get them till after chapter 11. Since I haven't left Gran Pulse yet, I can't give you details, but I know it's not till chapter 12 or 13. And it will be in its own store, I'm pretty sure.

THANK YOU! lol, finally got an answer.

So I don't like Vanille much as a character but I'm using her in my team as she has some great debuffs... however one thing that's caught my attention is another little annoyance from her... she sounds like a fucking chimp with her grunts and groans. Seriously I feel I've got a monkey on my team and I can't unhear it.

Skilletor

Cep said:
FF12's was better implemented too(Specifically ZJS), as you gradually got stuff instead of being inundated right from the start.

This was one thing I hated about FF12 that was fixed in the international. I see no reason to limit actions you can already perform manually with peppering gambits throughout the game. It defeats the purpose gambits are supposed to have in the first place.

Zertez

Xpliskin said:
Is it just me or the only things you do in this game are:

1. Run through some level with bad collision data
2. Kill monsters
3. Activate stuff
4. Upgrade Crystarium/Weapons
5. Watch awkward cutscenes/Listen to very badly written dialogue
6. Go to 1

I'm 1/4 into disc 2, I'm slowly losing hope.

The game feels like a gigantic grind with cutscenes in-between kills.
Think you described about 75 percent of the games made now. :lol

Xpliskin said:

2. Kill monsters
3. Activate stuff
6. Go to 1

Spoilerz!! ;)

Cep

Banned
Skilletor said:
This was one thing I hated about FF12 that was fixed in the international. I see no reason to limit actions you can already perform manually with peppering gambits throughout the game. It defeats the purpose gambits are supposed to have in the first place.

Yeah I hated it in 12 as well.

The problem is that if first time users are given all the tools right off the bat, they get overwhelmed and frustrated.

ZJS fixed 12's mistake by dribbling the gambits to you at a much increased rate, so by the time you got out of Barheim Passage, you had them all.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Katana_Strikes said:
she sounds like a fucking chimp with her grunts and groans. Seriously I feel I've got a monkey on my team and I can't unhear it.

chimps are not monkeys! :(

Wow. The chapter 9 boss is a total bitch.

I think I might max out Lightning/Hope/Fang's Crystarium before I try again - just because I can.

aechris

Katana_Strikes said:
monkey on my team

154koyb.png

I've maxed all my base crystarium levels and gone a bit into the others. I really, really want to finish this to completion but I am a bit burnt out. It's such a grind.

Cactuar
is hilarious in this game. The scene where
Sazh goes after the giant one
was amazing!

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
CruxisMana said:

I think I might max out Lightning/Hope/Fang's Crystarium before I try again - just because I can.

is that the
gunship
? I lose track of chapters... make sure you are targeting the secondary spots, not just the main one.

CruxisMana said:

The strategy should just be to Relentless Assault, go to whichever Healing Paradigm you like (I guess mine was Combat Clinic or Protection) (or you dip into 1000 HP) and more Relentless Assault. Should still finish in under 10 minutes. Really the fastest way is to just deal as much damage as possible in the fastest amount of time. Oh and also utilize the technique renew, so you can at least Stagger the boss.

I forgot if he uses Thanastonia Laughter but try to heal or be in the process of doing it immediately after a stagger period or you get into under 1000 HP.

CruxisMana said:

Take out the 4 side pieces and then the main part is easy enough. Watch for the powering up attack, though I believe if you give him enough damage while he's doing it (he takes a while to build up, but there will be a visual clue when you've give him enough) then the damage isn't as extreme when he lets loose.

Though I do believe I'd maxxed the characters up to full by then, so it probably made it easier.

Oli

Sheesh, in Chapter 9 right now
fighting through waves and waves of enemies on top of the ship, holy crap this game doesn't mess around. I'll admit it got my blood pumping. There's something incredibly satisfying about the battle system.

jiien

levious said:
is that the
gunship
? I lose track of chapters... make sure you are targeting the secondary spots, not just the main one.

Nope, I'm pretty sure that's
Bartandelus(sp?)
. The advice you gave though still applies.

Also, I love having Vanille on my team. I like her noises...

jiien

Kagari said:

They were surprising the first time I heard 'em, and now I can't make a party without her in it. LOVE THOSE NOISES.

And the goofy things she says at the end of battles sometimes, if she landed the last blow.

"I'm tougher than you thought, eh?"
"That wasn't scary at all!"

Sometimes I'll purposely try to time it so that she gets the last blow, just to hear her.

If I wasn't such a sucker for women with cool ass swords (<3 Lightning), Vanille would be my favorite character just because she's so goofy and expressive.

Katana_Strikes said:
Take out the 4 side pieces and then the main part is easy enough. Watch for the powering up attack, though I believe if you give him enough damage while he's doing it (he takes a while to build up, but there will be a visual clue when you've give him enough) then the damage isn't as extreme when he lets loose.

Though I do believe I'd maxxed the characters up to full by then, so it probably made it easier.
Dedication Through Light said:
The strategy should just be to Relentless Assault, go to whichever Healing Paradigm you like (I guess mine was Combat Clinic or Protection) (or you dip into 1000 HP) and more Relentless Assault. Should still finish in under 10 minutes. Really the fastest way is to just deal as much damage as possible in the fastest amount of time. Oh and also utilize the technique renew, so you can at least Stagger the boss.

I forgot if he uses Thanastonia Laughter but try to heal or be in the process of doing it immediately after a stagger period or you get into under 1000 HP.

Thanks. Admittedly, I only tried once and even then I had bad luck as all of my characters were standing together as the -aga spells began.

edgefusion

jiien said:
They were surprising the first time I heard 'em, and now I can't make a party without her in it. LOVE THOSE NOISES.

And the goofy things she says at the end of battles sometimes, if she landed the last blow.

Sometimes I'll purposely try to time it so that she gets the last blow, just to hear her.

If I wasn't such a sucker for women with cool ass swords (<3 Lightning), Vanille would be my favorite character just because she's so goofy and expressive.

"Let's go! Hecaton!"

Just makes me think of "Let's go! Hammertime!" it's just the way she says it.

Lost Fragment said:
I think I spotted the Biggs and Wedge cameo.
B&W Outfitters

Oh shit!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Oh yeah... I ended up getting two copies of the LE Guide, and I just sold one on eBay for nearly $100 @_@

So all you crazy kiddies who want to keep it sealed... I was wrong. There probably is money in this.

Lost Fragment said:
I think I spotted the Biggs and Wedge cameo.
B&W Outfitters
Oh shit. Megaton. :lol

RS4- said:
Finished the game around 47 hours or so; doing hunts and the rest of the achievements.

God, so much walking for the hunts. Especially if you fuck up and don't get 5 stars on the first try.

Yep. Which is why I won't be doing them. I have no interest in FFXI Lite.

jiien said:

Sounds like we have another recruit for the VDF. :D

K' Dash

Xpliskin said:

2. Kill monsters
3. Activate stuff
6. Go to 1

roll-eyes.jpg

On topic:

I just have to say, to me, the most complete party by Ch 11 must be Fang/Hope/Vanille, great buffing/debuffing, great ravagers, great commando/sentinel and 2 healers in case shit gets real, I beat chapter 11 boss in like 4 minutes :lol

A datalog about the ending would have been nice but anyway one more thing that confused me about the ending
Beating Orphan caused all the power on Cocoon to go out thus resulting in its(?) destruction if Fang and Vanille hadnt stepped in (and that it would crash to Pulse as well?)

master15

This seems like potentially the right place to ask. I have never played a Final Fantasy game ever.

I am heavily considering jumping into XIII but wondering if I should get some of the older PS1 titles on PSN. My friend said FF7 is mandatory before the new games, is that true?

Also as someone that considers Shenmue/Zelda/Metroid Prime/Resident Evil as my favourite sort of games, will I enjoy this title?

Rpgmonkey

Xpliskin said:

2. Kill monsters
3. Activate stuff
6. Go to 1

Hate it or love it, that's the format for 80% of the main story.

If you do sidequests about 60% into the game, it becomes a little less monotonous. Assuming you enjoy killing stuff in this game all day, that is.

I still say this game needed special Ediolon minigames within the story. It'd help to keep the level design from getting so repetitive and the transformers concept wouldn't feel so unnecessary.

Peff

master15 said:
This seems like potentially the right place to ask. I have never played a Final Fantasy game ever.

I am heavily considering jumping into XIII but wondering if I should get some of the older PS1 titles on PSN. My friend said FF7 is mandatory before the new games, is that true?

Also as someone that considers Shenmue/Zelda/Metroid Prime/Resident Evil as my favourite sort of games, will I enjoy this title?

If you like those you will probably like the series, but keep in mind that the battles are slow-paced in most of them except FFXIII. FFVII is certainly a good entry point and more complex than FFXIII, so get that one, see if you would like a game which is mostly a crazy battle system and crazy graphics until a certain point in the story, and then decide to buy it or not. It's pretty cheap too, so it's probably the best choice, but I think you'd like both.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
Just go out and buy 13. It's the most hand holding FF and therefore the one you should start with. Think about it. Having to play through 11 other way more difficult FF before you get to play 13. Is that really going to happen. Go get 13 and enjoy it.

Dedication Through Light said:
A datalog about the ending would have been nice but anyway one more thing that confused me about the ending
Beating Orphan caused all the power on Cocoon to go out thus resulting in its(?) destruction if Fang and Vanille hadnt stepped in (and that it would crash to Pulse as well?)

This was what
Barthandelus meant by "murder", the fact that Cocoon will crash into Pulse killing all its human inhabitants, thus bringing back the Maker

This is also when we learn that
one can alter their own Focus, or Fang's and Vanille's Focus was to save Cocoon from the beginning, thus when Fang became Ragnarok 300 years ago the Godess stepped in and turned both Fang and Vanille into Crystal, as to prevent Cocoon's destruction. The only thing that ending lacked was an explanation whether Cocoon Fal'Cie survived the destruction of Orphan.

Rpgmonkey said:
Assuming you enjoy killing stuff in this game all day, that is.
Personally, I do enjoy killing stuff all day in this game. I'm on Chapter 7 and I don't think I've avoided a single fight yet.

I do agree with those who think you should be able to switch who you're controlling mid-battle, and that getting an insta-GAME OVER when your party leader goes down is really stupid. Other than that, though, it's a ton of fun.

Chapter 9:
I really liked the whole joke with the random colour alerts, especially when Jihl got confused towards the end. :lol

Chapter 7+9: One thing I don't like though
is the totally shit deaths for both Yaag and Jihl, especially considering how prominent they were in pre-release media.

Dresden

Adent said:
Just go out and buy 13. It's the most hand holding FF and therefore the one you should start with. Think about it. Having to play through 11 other way more difficult FF before you get to play 13. Is that really going to happen. Go get 13 and enjoy it.
:lol

13 is up there as one of the hardest Final Fantasy games ever made. It only gets easy once you understand the mechanics, and even then the fights still require precise execution.

7Th

Castor Krieg said:
This was what
Barthandelus meant by "murder", the fact that Cocoon will crash into Pulse killing all its human inhabitants, thus bringing back the Maker

This is also when we learn that
one can alter their own Focus, or Fang's and Vanille's Focus was to save Cocoon from the beginning, thus when Fang became Ragnarok 300 years ago the Godess stepped in and turned both Fang and Vanille into Crystal, as to prevent Cocoon's destruction. The only thing that ending lacked was an explanation whether Cocoon Fal'Cie survived the destruction of Orphan.

Anima's motivation was probably completely different from Orphan's motivation, seeing how they were created by completely different "gods".

Besides, the party's Focus vision in Chapter 3 was composed of fragments of the ending and Ragnarok in the ending was some kind of weird organic mixture of Vanille's Hecaton and Fang's Bahamut. But who knows, maybe Hecaton and Bahamut were "created" by Vanille and Fang being the holders the Ragnarok instead of Ragnarok being shaped by Hecaton and Bahamut.

CruxisMana said:
Chapter 9:
I really liked the whole joke with the random colour alerts, especially when Jihl got confused towards the end. :lol

Chapter 7+9: One thing I don't like though
is the totally shit deaths for both Yaag and Jihl, especially considering how prominent they were in pre-release media.

Everything about FFXIII's pre-release media was extremely misleading. :lol

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Dresden said:
:lol

13 is up there as one of the hardest Final Fantasy games ever made. It only gets easy once you understand the mechanics, and even then the fights still require precise execution.
13 is probably harder than a few SMT games.

Then only reason people aren't so scared off by it is because there are save points EVERYWHERE and if you die in a fight, then you don't have to reload a game or sit through massive cutscenes.

Amir0x

Banned
I can't wait to get to chapter 11 to experience this difficulty everyone is talking about and finally some nonlinearity.

25 hours of this shit fuck.

The game is a goddamn cakewalk so far.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Amir0x said:
I can't wait to get to chapter 11 to experience this difficulty everyone is talking about and finally some nonlinearity.

25 hours of this shit fuck.

The game is a goddamn cakewalk so far.
Where are you at now? Things really picked up for me towards the end of Chapter 7. Chapter 11... that shit was just relentless. I hadn't been that afraid of a regular encounter since Digital Devil Saga 2.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm at chapter 9. So far, only one death - the very first eidolon battle with Shiva. And that was only because I was confused about the directions the first time around.

If I was to judge the game up through chapter 9, I definitely would say it IS one of the easiest FF games yet. But, like everyone KEEPS SAYING, after fifty hours the game finally picks up or some shit, so I'm trying to wait until Chapter 11. Dear God I wish I could skip these chapters.

Tideas

Banned
Amir0x said:
I'm at chapter 9. So far, only one death - the very first eidolon battle with Shiva. And that was only because I was confused about the directions the first time around.

If I was to judge the game up through chapter 9, I definitely would say it IS one of the easiest FF games yet. But, like everyone KEEPS SAYING, after fifty hours the game finally picks up or some shit, so I'm trying to wait until Chapter 11. Dear God I wish I could skip these chapters.

have u avoided any battle so far? Cuz there were certain battles up til chp 7 that u cannot win with just 2 characters...

i've died 5 times so far.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Amir0x said:
Basically most of the story stuff is easy, I didn't bother with any of the quests aside from the first ones and ones you have to do. I assume that the others is where it gets hard, but I wouldn't bother with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom