• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tideas said:
have u avoided any battle so far? Cuz there were certain battles up til chp 7 that u cannot win with just 2 characters...

i've died 5 times so far.
There were ones that you absolutely can't beat with 2 characters? Because I feel like I tried to fight every type of enemy and recall beating them at least once...

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
george_us said:
God fucking dammit fuck you
Bahamut.
This game has the most bullshit difficulty spike and fights in the series.

Super easy trick to it.
Use SAB/MED/MED & SAB/SAB/MED

That's it, don't attack him even once. Just switch to the double SAB when your health is full or when he is not attacking.

I keep hearing Vanillie's summons is the hardest though?
Any tips for it when it comes around?

7Th said:
Anima's motivation was probably completely different from Orphan's motivation, seeing how they were created by completely different "gods".

It was mentioned in Episode Zero that Anima's motivation was for Serah to bring other people to him to turn them into L'Cie. That's why she became a crystal when the party met in the Vestige. It doesn't however say why Anima wanted to do that.

Amir0x started playing FFXIII, what happened? :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Tideas said:
have u avoided any battle so far? Cuz there were certain battles up til chp 7 that u cannot win with just 2 characters...

i've died 5 times so far.

I've not avoided any battle. What battle can you not win up to chapter 7 with two characters? Genuinely curious since I haven't fought a battle once where I even came close to thinking it was not possible, and I've fought any combination of beast the game threw at me so far.

Glix

Oh man I love this game, the battle system is the shit. I feel like most of the battles, are almost puzzle-like...

On chapter 7 or 8 right now (had to restart to the 360 version after my ps3 died 10 hours in)

EDIT - Amorix, I think he's talking about the fight where they actually tell you it would be hard with two people. The big things with the carapaces. They are EASY. Buff yourselves, Debuff him, get him to stagger, while quickly switching to war and peace for a quick heal once in a while, and once he is staggered he is DONE.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
FTWer said:
I keep hearing Vanillie's summons is the hardest though?
Any tips for it when it comes around?
It's not that hard, just use the Paradigms that they make you work with :] it's the same in all these battles.

abombb

Banned
In chapter 8,
I actually enjoyed the emotion going to Sazh and Venille while Sazh had his guns out, really one of the deeper parts of the game to me so far.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Amir0x said:
I'm at chapter 9. So far, only one death - the very first eidolon battle with Shiva. And that was only because I was confused about the directions the first time around.

If I was to judge the game up through chapter 9, I definitely would say it IS one of the easiest FF games yet. But, like everyone KEEPS SAYING, after fifty hours the game finally picks up or some shit, so I'm trying to wait until Chapter 11. Dear God I wish I could skip these chapters.

I don't understand how you can keep saying this game is easy, I grinded in chapter 9 for a good hour & still didn't have a easy time with any of the enemies.

Maybe easy in the terms of you don't die in every single battle you come across, but the enemies put up a hell of a fight. More so than any of the other FF games & if you aren't quick on your toes & correct with your Paradigms, you will die.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Anyone have a link to the music that plays during the
Barthandalus
fight? Easily one of my favorite boss battle themes.

Amir0x

Banned
Glix said:
Oh man I love this game, the battle system is the shit. I feel like most of the battles, are almost puzzle-like...

On chapter 7 or 8 right now (had to restart to the 360 version after my ps3 died 10 hours in)

EDIT - Amorix, I think he's talking about the fight where they actually tell you it would be hard with two people. The big things with the carapaces. They are EASY. Buff yourselves, Debuff him, get him to stagger, while quickly switching to war and peace for a quick heal once in a while, and once he is staggered he is DONE.

Yeah those things were super easy. I totally went to them thinking "oh man a challenge" and they were a breeze! Instant five star rating every time. And if you preemptively strike them, the battle is over even quicker!

The Wyverns too, which I believe were also supposed to be a "difficult" enemy, were extremely simple.

Wyverns said:
I don't understand how you can keep saying this game is easy, I grinded in chapter 9 for a good hour & still didn't have a easy time with any of the enemies.

Maybe easy in the terms of you don't die in every single battle you come across, but the enemies put up a hell of a fight. More so than any of the other FF games & if you aren't quick on your toes & correct with your Paradigms, you will die.

Well I'm just up to Chapter 9, so maybe it will be hard finally?

Up until Chapter 9, though, LOL. This game is so easy up until Chapter 9 it's nearly put me to sleep. For one, half the time you're using only two characters, with only a handful of viable paradigms. Bosses are almost exclusively some obscenely obvious breakdown of your paradigm shifting. And with the ATB cancel that nets you an extra move every other paradigm shift, it goes from easy to *snore*.

I hope Chapter 9 is the start of the challenge then!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Amir0x said:
I'm at chapter 9. So far, only one death - the very first eidolon battle with Shiva. And that was only because I was confused about the directions the first time around.

If I was to judge the game up through chapter 9, I definitely would say it IS one of the easiest FF games yet. But, like everyone KEEPS SAYING, after fifty hours the game finally picks up or some shit, so I'm trying to wait until Chapter 11. Dear God I wish I could skip these chapters.

one of the easiest ff yet? which ff game was hard?

Ricker

I`ve died at each Eidolon a few times,had a hard time with the one for Sazh and like someone said,Snow because the Sentinel thing was confusing at first,also once to Odin...there`s one fight I ran from in Chapter 7,after trying it many times,a bunch of those PSICom guys with jetpacks(3 of them I think),combined with a Warlord something...the Boss of Chapter 9 twice and an earlier Boss also...overall though the regular guys are kinda easy,although I had a good stretch with Vanille and Sazh that I was getting 0 stars. :lol

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
FTWer said:
I think that's why it's easy, all you have to do is swtich paradigms, find the one that works best (an in the end it's typically rav/rav/com to get the stagger going, then com/com/rav once it's staggered).

The only ones that are a challenge are bosses, but once you figure out the Protect paradigm (or use syn) and Even Odds (or just use sab) the game gets so simple.

Amir0x

Banned
commish said:
one of the easiest ff yet? which ff game was hard?

None of them were hard, excepting maybe FFIII and a dungeon of FFVI... and they were only difficult because you had to grind forever to fight a boss in one or two occasions.

So when an FF game seems easy by FF game standards, that's easy!

But again, disclaimer, only up to chapter 9. Everyone tells me the game finally gets good seventy three hours into it, so I'm looking forward to chapter 11.

Ricker

Amir0x said:
None of them were hard, excepting maybe FFIII and a dungeon of FFVI... and they were only difficult because you had to grind forever to fight a boss in one or two occasions.

But again, disclaimer, only up to chapter 9. Everyone tells me the game finally gets good seventy three hours into it, so I'm looking forward to chapter 11.

Hehe,I think you are being sarcastic with the 73 hours there ;) :D i`m in the middle of Chapter 10 and I clock at 29 hours so far but yeah I can`t wait to reach Gran Pulse.

Tideas

Banned
Amir0x said:

what's your definition of hard then? if you go into a fight, and a know a strategy, then of course it's gonna be easy.

up to chp 9, ther's no battle that a monster can one shot you if u have the right buff. Cuz then that's not hard, it's just annoying.

Amir0x

Banned
Tideas said:
what's your definition of hard then? if you go into a fight, and a know a strategy, then of course it's gonna be easy.

up to chp 9, ther's no battle that a monster can one shot you if u have the right buff. Cuz then that's not hard, it's just annoying.

Well if the enemies weren't so predictable? I don't know but I played Persona 3 and 4 and I died much more in the first twenty hours than in FFXIII.

I like challenging games, but the only reason I'm even commenting on this is because people are acting like this is a super hard game. If the game only starts to get a little difficult at chapter 11, then boy it's still a pretty easy game.

This is simplistic strategies galore. The strategy requires almost no thought half the time.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can someone please explain in great detail what this ATB Canceling trick is and how does on go about doing it ?

Amir0x

Banned
chandoog said:
Can someone please explain in great detail what this ATB Canceling trick is and how does on go about doing it ?

Basically, every other paradigm switch you do, you get a free set of attacks. Your attack bar would be fully charged.

So, a general flow would be...

BATTLE START

First set of attacks -> Paradigm Shift -> Use next set of attacks instantly -> Use another set of attacks with this same Paradigm - Paradigm Shift - use next set of attacks instantly -> use another attacks with this same paradigm - Paradigm Shift - repeat

It has to be every other paradigm shift to work, if you just paradigm shift after every attack it won't work properly and will waste time.

Additionally, if you're good at it, you can paradigm shift at the start of the last attack animation of your lead character, and you won't have to watch the paradigm shifting animation, saving you time and "money."

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ah, that sounds like something i've been randomly coming across and wondering about myself. Good to know it's an exploitable tactic.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Gran Pulse was pretty jarring to me initially, maybe because I wasn't one of the guys waiting for "this horrible linear nightmare to end." Things become much more aimless and less directed, and rather than feeling enticed by the possibilities, I felt overwhelmed and slightly disinterested by them, and lost a bit of my desire to keep playing.

I came back to it a day or two later with a fresh mindset and now I love it to death, but I can see it being initially offputting to someone who was actually enjoying the game up until that point.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Amir0x said:
Basically, every other paradigm switch you do, you get a free set of attacks. Your attack bar would be fully charged.

So, a general flow would be...

BATTLE START

First set of attacks -> Paradigm Shift -> Use next set of attacks instantly -> Use another set of attacks with this same Paradigm - Paradigm Shift - use next set of attacks instantly -> use another attacks with this same paradigm - Paradigm Shift - repeat

It has to be every other paradigm shift to work, if you just paradigm shift after every attack it won't work properly and will waste time.

Additionally, if you're good at it, you can paradigm shift at the start of the last attack animation of your lead character, and you won't have to watch the paradigm shifting animation, saving you time and "money."

ohhh, i always assumed it was because everyone's bar was charging during the time for me to select the new paradigm and the animation to end.

Amir0x

Banned
commish said:
ohhh, i always assumed it was because everyone's bar was charging during the time for me to select the new paradigm and the animation to end.

Yeah, it's one of the things I do like most about FFXIII's battle system. I have a little clock in my head that's always looking to properly time my switches so I cut out animations and shit. It's my own little metagame :lol

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Amir0x said:
Well if the enemies weren't so predictable? I don't know but I played Persona 3 and 4 and I died much more in the first twenty hours than in FFXIII.

I like challenging games, but the only reason I'm even commenting on this is because people are acting like this is a super hard game. If the game only starts to get a little difficult at chapter 11, then boy it's still a pretty easy game.

This is simplistic strategies galore. The strategy requires almost no thought half the time.
Did you grind at all anywhere? I was cruising through everything
(besides Sazh's Eid battle)
then ended up getting caught in the much in Chapter 9. I grinded there for a while because those incentive chips made it hard not to. Still was pretty easy though (harder than any other FF though by a bit. 7-12 were snooze fests across the board). Enemies start to punish later on though.

Amir0x

Banned
DY_nasty said:
Did you grind at all anywhere? I was cruising through everything
(besides Sazh's Eid battle)
then ended up getting caught in the much in Chapter 9. I grinded there for a while because those incentive chips made it hard not to. Still was pretty easy though (harder than any other FF though by a bit. 7-12 were snooze fests across the board). Enemies start to punish later on though.

I just started chapter 9. I didn't grind much, although near the end of Chap 7 I ran around that hallway with the respawning soldiers a few dozen times to collect incentive chips. That's about as close as I came.

cosmicblizzard said:
Wait, Amir0x actually got the game?

Edit: You guys always make it difficult not to get big games. GAF always does it to me. Of course, the game is exactly like I knew it was but hey... I needed to play it for 30 hours or my opinion was invalidated!

Jrmint

Question about Chapter 11 - Taejin's Tower specifically

Not sure if it's a spoiler, but I'll spoiler just in case.

On the third tier (right after the fight with 5 Pulsework Gladiators) the guide says there should be a chest right at the top of the steps with a "Simurgh" weapon in it. When I go to where it says it should be I hear the chest sound but do not see it. Is this unlocked after a certain point in the dungeon or what?

Thanks.

Toki767

You know the problem I think a lot of players are having with the battle system is that you start off doing such little damage to enemies until you stagger them but they mostly do decent damage to you right off the bat. :lol

It adds a lot of strategic elements but I think most people are saying certain battles are hard only because they want to just pound on something until it dies instead of using strategy.

Banned
DY_nasty said:
Where are you at now? Things really picked up for me towards the end of Chapter 7. Chapter 11... that shit was just relentless. I hadn't been that afraid of a regular encounter since Digital Devil Saga 2.
Actually chp 11 is easy if you follow the mission structure. If you just run off and attack random shit though, you will die

Tideas

Banned
Amir0x said:

I dunno then, cuz i've died more in this game than I have since FF8. To each his own i guess. There are certain monsters, like the bike in chapter 6/7, that would shoot continuously at you, and by that point, you dont have enough HP, so if he aims at your main character, it's game over. Even with protect it didn't help much, lol.

Amir0x said:
Edit: You guys always make it difficult not to get big games. GAF always does it to me. Of course, the game is exactly like I knew it was but hey... I needed to play it for 30 hours or my opinion was invalidated!

You just seemed so against it that I wasn't expecting you to get it until long after a price drop.

Not trying to criticize you or anything, but do you really want to play a game you don't like just so you can have a valid reason to complain about it on the internet? There's so many amazing other games out that I'd rather play one I like.

Amir0x

Banned
Tideas said:
I dunno then, cuz i've died more in this game than I have since FF8. To each his own i guess. There are certain monsters, like the bike in chapter 6/7, that would shoot continuously at you, and by that point, you dont have enough HP, so if he aims at your main character, it's game over. Even with protect it didn't help much, lol.

That's because you were doing it wrong!

Bike strategy is easy. They telegraph their gatling gun attack, all you have to do is switch to a paradigm with sentinel in it and provoke/steelguard.

Then the attack will do close to no damage and you'll be able to move on.

cosmicblizzard said:
You just seemed so against it that I wasn't expecting you to get it until long after a price drop.

Not trying to criticize you or anything, but do you really want to play a game you don't like just so you can have a valid reason to complain about it on the internet? There's so many amazing other games out that I'd rather play one I like.

Well, it's about the discussion more than anything. If I don't like the game, the discussion that comes out of it is more often enough worth the price of admission. I enjoy these conversations.

That said, it was also slightly infuriating when people claimed that I couldn't possibly understand what I was saying since I didn't play the game. So of course, since I have disposable income, it was too tempting.

And the game is exactly like I knew it was. Ah well. Like I said, GAF discussion stimulates.

I noticed that little trick but I never really bothered to exploit it. It sorta makes speed builds pointless. Maybe I'll use it on a subsequent playthrough or some boss I'm having trouble with.

RPGCrazied

YES.. i finally beat the end boss of chapter 11!! i guess grinding does help.. what a rush, like a 20min battle.. had to use summon at end to finally end it.

sab/syn makes that fight, along with sent, com/rav - oh an 2 medics, and my hope syn didnt have haste. lol

DY_nasty

Actually chp 11 is easy if you follow the mission structure. If you just run off and attack random shit though, you will die
If "Random Shit" = The first thing you see, then yeah. You'll die. :lol
Jamesfrom818 said:
I noticed that little trick but I never really bothered to exploit it. It sorta makes speed builds pointless. Maybe I'll use it on a subsequent playthrough or some boss I'm having trouble with.
I wouldn't go that far. Some characters build up their ATB guage as others attack so if you build your team right, they can run circles around a guy just because one person is slightly ahead of the curve. Also, juggling is important, and Lightning is the best at it.

Vestal

Toki767 said:
You know the problem I think a lot of players are having with the battle system is that you start off doing such little damage to enemies until you stagger them but they mostly do decent damage to you right off the bat. :lol

It adds a lot of strategic elements but I think most people are saying certain battles are hard only because they want to just pound on something until it dies instead of using strategy.

Simple to solve.....

Undermine
followed up by either Slash and Burn or Dualcasting

Amir0x said:
... And with the ATB cancel that nets you an extra move every other paradigm shift, it goes from easy to *snore*....

Huh? What do you mean you get an extra move every other shift if you ATB cancel?

Btw, I like checking in on this thread for the Amir0x progress update. I think everyone is waiting for this elusive chapter 11 milestone for you to see if your opinion changes. I am predicting no.

Amir0x said:
Well, it's about the discussion more than anything. If I don't like the game, the discussion that comes out of it is more often enough worth the price of admission. I enjoy these conversations.

That said, it was also slightly infuriating when people claimed that I couldn't possibly understand what I was saying since I didn't play the game. So of course, since I have disposable income, it was too tempting.

And the game is exactly like I knew it was. Ah well. Like I said, GAF discussion stimulates.

If you say so. I'm sure we'll disagree a lot but I'll look forward to discussing it with you when you finish the game.

Amir0x

Banned
gutterboy44 said:
Huh? What do you mean you get an extra move every other shift if you ATB cancel?

I detailed it here. It's an 'advanced strategy' to give yourself an extra set of attacks every other turn.

Works really well with two different all aggressive paradigms, cause you can cause ridiculous damage against a staggered boss this way :lol

MechaX

Hm.. Well, this is a Catch-22.

The Missions after the Titan's trials spiked up tremendously, even for a party that has all of its main roles maxed out. Okay, so I need to level up and get stronger weapons. However, the enemies that have both the key to the asinine amount of gil you need are the Adamantoise monsters. Too bad they're also super monsters that do 12k damage in one stomp. It sucks that the AI medic is too dumb to heal the party to full health and if I controlled the medic I would lose the ability to use Fang's awesome limit break (which is seemingly vital on this thing). So in essence, the key to getting stronger rests in an enemy that I would need to get stronger to beat, but I can't get stronger if I can't get enough money from this enemy? Yay. Lots of grinding is in my future before I can even touch the last set of missions.

Ugh. Are there better ways to get gil and cp than farming these things?

7Th

MechaX said:

The Missions after the Titan's trials spiked up tremendously, even for a party that has all of its main roles maxed out. Okay, so I need to level up and get stronger weapons. However, the enemies that have both the key to the asinine amount of gil you need are the Adamantoise monsters. Too bad they're also super monsters that do 12k damage in one stomp. It sucks that the AI medic is too dumb to heal the party to full health and if I controlled the medic I would lose the ability to use Fang's awesome limit break (which is seemingly vital on this thing). So in essence, the key to getting stronger rests in an enemy that I would need to get stronger to beat, but I can't get stronger if I can't get enough money from this enemy? Yay. Lots of grinding is in my future before I can even touch the last set of missions.

Fang's "limit break"? Unnecessary, Vanille's Hecaton+Death combo is the way to go.

MechaX said:

The old JRPG catch-22, eh? This is going to be a fun post-game :lol

:(

DY_nasty

MechaX said:

I killed one back in Chapter 11. It wasn't easy, though...

Amir0x said:

You just shot yourself in the foot etc etc.

When you've played for 30 hours you'll get to Gran Pulse and have all the open walking around exploration and mindless grinding and random difficulty spikes that you claim to love! It's a Catch-22, we made you go through all the boring parts for 30 hours and now you'll get to the parts of JRPGS you love and worship! GAF wins again! :lol

grumble

MechaX said:

The gil I can't help you with, outside of recommending you get a gold egg (growth egg upgrade which switches all cp to gil) once you have maxed all the crystarium stuff. Just get one trapezohedron, make fang's ultimate weapon, then dismantle it for three more. That way you'll avoid at least one painful part of the process.

Amir0x

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
You just shot yourself in the foot etc etc.

When you've played for 30 hours you'll get to Gran Pulse and have all the open walking around exploration and mindless grinding and random difficulty spikes that you claim to love! It's a Catch-22, we made you go through all the boring parts for 30 hours and now you'll get to the parts of JRPGS you love and worship! GAF wins again! :lol

I don't think you actually understand what I love about RPGs. I hate grinding!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom