• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amir0x said:
I don't think you actually understand what I love about RPGs. I hate grinding!

Oh okay. Replace grinding with a world map then! If only there was a world map for just Gran Pulse! It would be perfect! :lol

Gran Pulse could really use a world map just because there's so much walking around. Bleah.

Zoe

Unknown Soldier said:
Oh okay. Replace grinding with a world map then! If only there was a world map for just Gran Pulse! It would be perfect! :lol

Gran Pulse could really use a world map just because there's so much walking around. Bleah.

Eh? You want a Lightning bigger than one of the Adamantai walking around?

That's what chocobos are for!

mibm

aka funkky
MechaX said:
Ugh. Are there better ways to get gil and cp than farming these things?
I don't know why they make it so hard to get gil in this game. At least add some variety instead of farming turtles, why can't other mobs drop gil worthy items?

Giolon

mibm said:
I don't know why they make it so hard to get gil in this game. At least add some variety instead of farming turtles, why can't other mobs drop gil worthy items?

Sacrifices
drop Perfumes worth 15k almost every time. I find them generally more efficient to grind on than trying to get a lucky Death spell on turtles.

j-wood

When you use the steelguard ability, does it permanently raid your defense until you switch out of the sentinel role, or is it like a timer thing? Can you just keep using steelguard over and over and keep buffing your defense?

So I'm on Ch 11 and I missed the Gladius about 25 hours ago. It has never appeared in any of the shops for purchase. Does it ever become available?? I currently don't have a single weapon with Lightning that I would consider maxing out, and everyone says the Gladius yields the highest top-end AP.

j-wood

pyrealnova said:
So I'm on Ch 11 and I missed the Gladius about 25 hours ago. It has never appeared in any of the shops for purchase. Does it ever become available?? I currently don't have a single weapon with Lightning that I would consider maxing out, and everyone says the Gladius yields the highest top-end AP.

What do you mean it yields the highest top end ap? That's what I'm using on Lightning and have been working on maxing it out.

knitoe

Is there a faster way to get CP or money being only upto chapter 11?

Right now, what I do is teleport Steppe Highland > fight King Behemoth & Wolf (takes about 30 sec for 6600 CP) > get on Chocobo and dig for item (if dig icon appears as soon as you get on look around = only 3 possible place near) > fight Behemoth & Wolf again > teleport out to reset possible Chocobo dig > repeat.

With Chocobo dig, I have gotten a Ribbon and a few Tetridic Tiara, Entite Ring, Gold Nuggets (50K?), Chocobo Push (35K). Most of the time, you will get 1 dig. If you are lucky, 2 spots.

As for how I can kill a King Behemoth & Wolf in about 30 sec:

Characters: Lightning (main), Fang and Vanille

Paradigm:
1)Com, Rev, Rev
2)Com, Com, Rev
3)Rev, Com, Rev

Have Sprint Shoes & Aurora Scarf = First strike for everyone. Might not be needed.

Strategy:

You will always get preemptive strike with this battle.

Start out with Paradigm 1.

Always attack Behemoth first.

As soon as Behemoth is stagger and Lighting launches it into the air (stops Behemoth from switching to super standup mode), switch to Paradigm 2. This is very important. For some reason, when there are 2 Comm characters, Fang auto attacks the Wolf thus keeping his bar close to stagger or staggered while everyone else continues to hammer the Behemoth. If Behemoth goes into super standup mode, give up and retry.

After Fang gets few hits into Wolf, switch to Paradigm 3 and finish off the Behemoth.

Then, time for the Wolf. He should be already staggered or close to it. Switch to Paradigm 2 to finish him off.

Brannon

Amir0x said:
I'm at chapter 9. So far, only one death - the very first eidolon battle with Shiva. And that was only because I was confused about the directions the first time around.

If I was to judge the game up through chapter 9, I definitely would say it IS one of the easiest FF games yet. But, like everyone KEEPS SAYING, after fifty hours the game finally picks up or some shit, so I'm trying to wait until Chapter 11. Dear God I wish I could skip these chapters.

Kirby Air Ride gets vengeance!

On topic. Goddamn.

Gran Pulse.

Nestled in a cocoon of fairly straight pathways for several chapters and then BAM. Good luck. Which I wish I had. Saw some budgie looking birds and though that I could take them, and I did easily, but one of the pulled off a summon right before death, and a new challenger entered the arena.

It was, for a lack of a bettter word, giganticore.

It did things to me. Things that made me question running into any random batch of critters ever again. Round 2 I get bowled over by a jogging pack of tiger thingies and I manage to get some of my pride back. This is going to be interesting.

Lost Fragment said:
Killing adamantoises without summons or death is so satisfying.
What's your method for doing this? Lots of Earth resist? I'd love a way to keep grinding for Trapezohedrons without having to grind up TP between fights.

jiggle

how far do i have to run before behe/wolf respawn in ch11?

loving this chapter
everything before ch9 felt like a prologue to me
just when it's getting good now, i know it'll end soon :/

pyrealnova said:

from what i read, lionheart (can buy this in ch12) is her best weapon to upgrade

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I'm a little concerned with how to spend points on upgrading class skills for the characters.
I'm currently trying to get to Hopes House for the meet up and almost all the characters are fully spec'd out to max 3 classes at level 2.

I read that you need to forucs your specialization at some point in time. As time goes on I haven't seen any indication of when I should stop upgrading the lesser classes stats and start just focusing on 1 or 2? of them for each character.

As well is there a definitive Job for each character you should pick as primary or is there always one or 2 that are potentially equal.

Later when its critical to have say "Vanillel" as the medic, is there the option to pick your party? Or do you need to make sure you continue to develop them with overlapping roles since you never get to choose your party make up?

This is the first FF I've played since FFVII (well also FFXI but thats its own thing)so I'm not familiar with all the ways the games progressed thru 12

Any Advice would be appreciated.

Giolon

pyrealnova said:

All weapons eventually become available for purchase, though some only through a shop earned by doing a high level mission.

Don't forget that Lightning has balanced STR/MAG stats that grow fairly equally, so the Gladius is not necessarily the weapon that you'll want to upgrade just because it has the highest Str (it has low Mag). Most people tend to like the Lionheart for its Quick Stagger ability. Personally I like the Axis Blade for the ATB regeneration on hit and its participation in the ATB Boost Synthesis Group for X% faster ATB regen.

jiggle

bloodydrake said:
I read that you need to forucs your specialization at some point in time. As time goes on I haven't seen any indication of when I should stop upgrading the lesser classes stats and start just focusing on 1 or 2? of them for each character.

As well is there a definitive Job for each character you should pick as primary or is there always one or 2 that are potentially equal.

Later when its critical to have say "Vanillel" as the medic, is there the option to pick your party? Or do you need to make sure you continue to develop them with overlapping roles since you never get to choose your party make up?

You should focus on each character's 3 specializations. There should be enough CP for everything. Later on, everyone have access to all 6 jobs, and it's those 3 extra jobs that you dont' have to focus on.

You get to customize party in chapter 9.

Jrmint

Giolon said:
Personally I like the Axis Blade for the ATB regeneration on hit and its participation in the ATB Boost Synthesis Group for X% faster ATB regen.
Same. This combined with Aurora Scarf is hawt. Basically feels like haste.

MechaX

7Th said:
Fang's "limit break"? Unnecessary, Vanille's Hecaton+Death combo is the way to go.

Yay. I get to hear Vanille more than I really, really want to. Great.

But in all seriousness, this way does get around some things, but so far I have had shitty luck trying to land this death spell, even with the Malboro Staff for her that improves debuff rates, which in turn can increase death chances (If only I could obtain the item to upgrade the Malboro Staff to its final stage and stand an even better chance. Oh wait...) But this is better than trying to get the AI to fight the Adamantoise properly.

Although, whoever decided to have the item they drop (the main source of gil in the post game) drop sometimes needs to be shot. It was probably the bastard that conceived all of the FFX ultimate weapon mini-games.

grumble said:
The gil I can't help you with, outside of recommending you get a gold egg (growth egg upgrade which switches all cp to gil) once you have maxed all the crystarium stuff. Just get one trapezohedron, make fang's ultimate weapon, then dismantle it for three more. That way you'll avoid at least one painful part of the process.

But... the Gold Egg doesn't actually exist in this game (or at the very least, the Growth Egg doesn't upgrade into anything and it's not listed in the Player's Guide).

Giolon said:
Sacrifices
drop Perfumes worth 15k almost every time. I find them generally more efficient to grind on than trying to get a lucky Death spell on turtles.

Cool. At least this way, I can just buy the damn Traphezohedron and...

*Sees that it costs 2 mil gil, not including the 1 mil+ it'll cost to upgrade the weapons... all three of them*

*Sobs*

eznark

Banned
Kept forgetting to ask, what is this code I got with FFXIII? I forgot about it until I heard someone on a podcast say something about new copies getting early beta access to 14.

The ultimate weapon issue is a truly bizarre one - the difficulty/power curve in this game is smooth as silk up until you reach that point, and is in fact probably the best balanced in an FF game, but once you start needing an ultimate weapon you find that you really do just need to grind it out in an extremely painful manner. If there's any DLC for this game I betcha it's that bit of the power/difficulty curve that feels like it's missing - like some dungeon with an easier way of obtaining Trapezohedrons and Gil or something.

Firestorm

Amir0x said:
That's because you were doing it wrong!

Bike strategy is easy. They telegraph their gatling gun attack, all you have to do is switch to a paradigm with sentinel in it and provoke/steelguard.

Then the attack will do close to no damage and you'll be able to move on.
Yeah I screwed that up the first few times but figured out the timing afterwards.

The game requires a decent amount of strategy and I do the same little trick you do with paradigms, but I just wish it didn't take me so goddamn long to get a full set of characters in the party. Not as fun with just two.

j-wood

When you use the steelguard ability, does it permanently raid your defense until you switch out of the sentinel role, or is it like a timer thing? Can you just keep using steelguard over and over and keep buffing your defense?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
grumble said:
The gil I can't help you with, outside of recommending you get a gold egg (growth egg upgrade which switches all cp to gil) once you have maxed all the crystarium stuff. Just get one trapezohedron, make fang's ultimate weapon, then dismantle it for three more. That way you'll avoid at least one painful part of the process.

Holy crap, that's actually a great upgrade.

I guess you can't just get another Growth Egg from doing Mission 55 again?

But... the Gold Egg doesn't actually exist in this game (or at the very least, the Growth Egg doesn't upgrade into anything and it's not listed in the Player's Guide).

Nevermind. :lol

Toki767

j-wood said:
I'm fairly sure it's a one time raise for the duration of the use. So if you use it 5 times it activates 5 times but also deactivates 5 times.

survivor

Banned
Almost done chapter 7. I think I'm on the last boss and it really looks epic.

A question about the cut scene before it
Who the hell shot the soldiers that were aiming at Snow? Or was it like a misfire by the other troops?

Giolon

survivor said:

Who the hell shot the soldiers that were aiming at Snow? Or was it like a misfire by the other troops?

I figured
it was Cavalry soldiers

survivor said:

I assumed it was some of the Cavalry's soldiers who were undercover and pretending to be PSICOM troops? I'm not sure

survivor

Banned
Giolon said:
I figured
it was Cavalry soldiers
I thought it was that big ship that shot them, but I have to fight it now as a boss. That's what originally confused me. So are they gonna show Cid and his Cavalry after or was it something the game just left you to guess?

Ok nvm, looks like the game doesn't exactly show who did it. But what you guys said makes sense so I will just roll with that explanation.

MechaX

badcrumble said:
The ultimate weapon issue is a truly bizarre one - the difficulty/power curve in this game is smooth as silk up until you reach that point, and is in fact probably the best balanced in an FF game, but once you start needing an ultimate weapon you find that you really do just need to grind it out in an extremely painful manner. If there's any DLC for this game I betcha it's that bit of the power/difficulty curve that feels like it's missing - like some dungeon with an easier way of obtaining Trapezohedrons and Gil or something.

Yeah, you cannot even begin to imagine how much this slowed down my playthrough and my motivation in beating the optional bosses. Hopefully, the alternate method doesn't end up being too slow, but it's just weird that Square would fall to a rather amateurish late-game RPG design flaw like this.

Toki767

MechaX said:
Yeah, you cannot even begin to imagine how much this slowed down my playthrough and my motivation in beating the optional bosses. Hopefully, the alternate method doesn't end up being too slow, but it's just weird that Square would fall to a rather amateurish late-game RPG design flaw like this.
It has definitely made me appreciate dodging lightning. :lol

RPGCrazied said:
so how long is chapter 12 & 13?!

Probably about 4-6 hours if run through it fast, ignoring the time spent potentially replaying bosses. The lenght varies depending on the speed at which you can take down opponents with close to a million HP and how fast you can stagger them (or you can avoid everything and run to the end, lol) Standard enemy battles are somewhat drawn out.

Giolon

What does Vanille say when she calls her summon? Is it "Let's go, Hecaton!" or "Let's go, Heca-chan!". My friend and I are having an argument.

7Th

Unexpectedly, the LE Official Guide features information that actually clears the story a lot:
Lindzei and Barthandelus are probably the same entity, Vanille and Fang are the Chosen mentioned in the Analects and it is their destiny bear the burden of the Beast and apparently in the ending cutscene they both fulfilled their Focus and went against it.

Thrakier

OMG, Chapter 9.
Sooooooo annoying and boring, please tell me that this is the worst chapter. Enemies take forever and there are tons of it, "dungeon" design is boring, it drags on and on...wtf

Amir0x said:
Well if the enemies weren't so predictable? I don't know but I played Persona 3 and 4 and I died much more in the first twenty hours than in FFXIII.

I like challenging games, but the only reason I'm even commenting on this is because people are acting like this is a super hard game. If the game only starts to get a little difficult at chapter 11, then boy it's still a pretty easy game.

This is simplistic strategies galore. The strategy requires almost no thought half the time.

this is funny to me :lol

I loved P4 but soared through it with ease... while FFXIII I'm finding to have quite a bit of challenge. I'm only at chapter 8 right now because I have limited time to play, but so far I have probably died 20-30 times....

7Th said:
Unexpectedly, the LE Official Guide features information that actually clears the story a lot:
Lindzei and Barthandelus are probably the same entity, Vanille and Fang are the Chosen mentioned in the Analects and it is their destiny bear the burden of the Beast and apparently in the ending cutscene they both fulfilled their Focus and went against it.
The Analects seem to suggest that Lindzei is the Creator that Barthandelus wants to bring back, but yeah Vanille and Fang are pretty clearly the Chosen.

7Th said:

Oh, lol after finishing the game and reading the post game I didnt ever even check out that extra stuff, I guess it could clear my confusion.

mibm

aka funkky
firehawk12 said:
Holy crap, that's actually a great upgrade.

I guess you can't just get another Growth Egg from doing Mission 55 again?

Nevermind. :lol
I don't normally support horse armor dlc tactics, but I would buy a gold egg item in an instant.

Thrakier said:
OMG, Chapter 9.
Sooooooo annoying and boring, please tell me that this is the worst chapter. Enemies take forever and there are tons of it, "dungeon" design is boring, it drags on and on...wtf

Chapter 10 is worse. Fortunately, 11 is awesome.

7Th

badcrumble said:
The Analects seem to suggest that Lindzei is the Creator that Barthandelus wants to bring back, but yeah Vanille and Fang are pretty clearly the Chosen.

The Maker and Lindzei are completely different entities, I believe. The Maker, called God Pulse by the people in Pulse, created everything on Earth; Linzei created Cocoon and lured people into it.

KZObsessed

Completed it! Only got 3 stars on the big boss :( Don't really know what was going on there to be honest :lol but the end sequence was magnificent. (ruined by "My Hands" :p) I enjoyed the second half of the game sooo much more than the first half. The first half dragged on and on in places, the second half was just amazing. Enjoyed it overall a lot more than I thought I would. Great game :)

Story wise I thought it was fine, maybe in the end it didn't live up to the potential it had in the first half, but I enjoyed it. I do think the story present in the game isn't enough, so to speak, in regards to the world/lore they created. It's not my favorite Final Fantasy but I do want more. If they are making a FFXIII-2 next I'd definitely be excited for it.

Credits are rolling now, I guess I'll finish up the missions and try anf get all the trophies over the weekend before GoWIII arrives. :)

Thrakier

cosmicblizzard said:
Chapter 10 is worse. Fortunately, 11 is awesome.

Worse? I don't know if I'll reach chapter 11 then...seriously, the only time this game felt a bit like FF was the
nautilus part[/quote] so far. Dissapointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom