• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

rusashi

Neo Member
I gotta say I really hate chapter 12. Did they think it'd be a good idea to put Behemoths and Adamantoise every two steps? Up until now Id been able to fight every opponent no problem, they definitely put way too many in chapter 12.

Amir0x

Banned
Thrakier said:
OMG, Chapter 9.
Sooooooo annoying and boring, please tell me that this is the worst chapter. Enemies take forever and there are tons of it, "dungeon" design is boring, it drags on and on...wtf

holy shit yes. easily the worst ship dungeon ever! The corridors are boring to look at, and they're populated with the same pathetically easy guards and drones everywhere! This honestly feels like some cheap DLC that some fourth rate RPG released on XBL for 200 ms points.

This is the worst chapter by far. And that's saying something! This slog through the first 10 chapters to hopefully hit this pinnacle in chapter 11 feels like i'm participating in The Passion or something. This is how Jesus felt wearing the crown of thorns!

Chapter 11 is like the resurrection. Or just a cold splash of water to wake one up from the slumber of the glazed eye march.

Rpgmonkey

rusashi said:
I gotta say I really hate chapter 12. Did they think it'd be a good idea to put Behemoths and Adamantoise every two steps? Up until now Id been able to fight every opponent no problem, they definitely put way too many in chapter 12.

Those are some of the BS enemy groups I was saying appear in the late-game, lol.

I tried a couple and got through just fine, but at some point I see even more annoying enemies paired together, then just said "screw this game" and avoided almost everything I could from that point on.

Have fun with the final dungeon. :lol

RPGCrazied

man.. chapter 12, was doing great.. even got past
The proudcloud, but right after him a fukin adamnatise! those huge things from pulse. needless to say I pretty much got owned. :(

Rpgmonkey said:
Those are some of the BS enemy groups I was saying appear in the late-game, lol.

I tried a couple and got through just fine, but at some point I see even more annoying enemies paired together, then just said "screw this game" and avoided almost everything I could from that point on.

Have fun with the final dungeon. :lol

I did the same thing, even though they offer high amounts of CP for those fights, I was just getting tired of the fights and was ready to get to the conclusion of the story, though the Sanctum soldiers never get old fighting.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Amir0x said:
holy shit yes. easily the worst ship dungeon ever! The corridors are boring to look at, and they're populated with the same pathetically easy guards and drones everywhere! This honestly feels like some cheap DLC that some fourth rate RPG released on XBL for 200 ms points.
WTF IMO the ship is one of the better looking areas in the game... the outdoor sections are awesome looking! I think you're all just hating because of the suffocating linear hell you've been subjected to for 20 hours. Why so mad? :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
just got control of my battle team, either late chapter 9 or the very start of chapter 10, I'm not sure yet.

Loving this game. It's the perfect switch my mind off and 'upgrade' games I can play for hours into the night after a non-stop day (and night) of uni life.

it's weird, I can see how everything being rolled out slowly would annoy most people, but man, the feeling of unlocking party control after all this time sort of felt oddly right. I can't quite articulate it correctly.

The best way I can say it is that I 'get' this game. I see what they were trying to do and I'm responding to it, I guess.

rusashi

Neo Member
Everything in chapter 11 was superb, unfortunately they didnt recreate it throughout the game. Hopefully chapter 13 doesnt disappoint.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Wait, Amir0x is playing the game? I thought he wasn't going to since he knew it wasn't for him.. or am I completely wrong. Still eager to hear yours thoughts on all of it.

Amir0x

Banned
BocoDragon said:
WTF IMO the ship is one of the better looking areas in the game... the outdoor sections are awesome looking! I think you're all just hating because of the suffocating linear hell you've been subjected to for 20 hours. Why so mad? :lol

I seriously cannot possibly imagine anyone designing a worse RPG dungeon than this ship. I am being completely serious. There were tons of other linear chapters so far (read: every single one) that I didn't single out because they still looked pretty most of the time in their own way.

The ship is just a mess of design. Most of the time, it's nonsensically laid out linear landing docks followed by endless red hallways of repeating textures everywhere. And to top it off, most of the time you have to hear a goddamn alarm. WOOO WOOO WOOO FUCK YOU SHUT OFF! And the enemies are so dull and it's fucking palette swap heaven everywhere.

I would not pay 200ms points for this dungeon if it was downloadable.

BocoDragon

worldrevolution said:
Wait, Amir0x is playing the game? I thought he wasn't going to since he knew it wasn't for him.. or am I completely wrong.

Dude.. we won. You missed the whole thing. He played the game, loved it... there was a teary post where he broke down crying and apologizing and screaming "I LOVE ANIME! I LOVE NOMURA!".

jiggle

Thrakier said:
OMG, Chapter 9.
Sooooooo annoying and boring, please tell me that this is the worst chapter. Enemies take forever and there are tons of it, "dungeon" design is boring, it drags on and on...wtf

i love ch9
first good place to grind for gil :D

and the outdoor area is pretty hawt looking too

Rpgmonkey

BocoDragon said:

I thought it started off cool and got progressively worse as it went on.

Chapter felt like it was never going to end sometimes.

RPGCrazied said:
any tips on that guy?

The Adamanchelid?

Just have MED/SAB/SYN. Switch to COM/RAV/RAV when you have enough (de)buffs on, especially slow and haste. Heal when necessary.

Amir0x said:
The ship is just a mess of design. Most of the time, it's nonsensically laid out linear landing docks followed by endless red hallways of repeating textures everywhere. And to top it off, most of the time you have to hear a goddamn alarm. WOOO WOOO WOOO FUCK YOU SHUT OFF! And the enemies are so dull and it's fucking palette swap heaven everywhere.

lol, well at least you arent going against Flanitors with alarms on their head doing Rescue Me while in battle too! lol; Alarms outta battle and alarms in battle, extremely annoying, lol.

grumble

DigitalDevil said:
this is funny to me :lol

I loved P4 but soared through it with ease... while FFXIII I'm finding to have quite a bit of challenge. I'm only at chapter 8 right now because I have limited time to play, but so far I have probably died 20-30 times....

Only 20-30? That's nothing. Wait until Ch. 11. Some of those enemies will flat out murder you.

RPGCrazied said:
any tips on that guy?

You should be able to beat the adramalachelid (sp) just by using debuffs, buffs on yoruself and relentless assault (with constant healing). I didnt attempt the other turtle one thats just chilling in the corner in the level.

BocoDragon

Amir0x said:
I seriously cannot possibly imagine anyone designing a worse RPG dungeon than this ship. I am being completely serious. There were tons of other linear chapters so far (read: every single one) that I didn't single out because they still looked pretty most of the time in their own way.

I would not pay 200ms points for this dungeon if it was downloadable.
I think it's about as good as the other level designs pre-Pulse... which is not say, it's not. Zig zags, straight lines... whatever, it's all the same.

I did particularly like the art when you were on the outside sections of the level.. so in that sense I liked it more than, say, Vile Peaks. Joking aside, I do think it's the weight of all the other shitty linearity that's making you take it out on the Palamecia- that level isn't worse in particular IMO... not that I blame you.

I enjoy aspects of this game. The level design for Chapter 1-10 is not one of them.

Elios83

Just finished the game in about 50 hours.
I definetly enjoyed it, graphics and fighting system are top notch. I don't think the main issue with the game is linearity but the absence of towns/villages where you can break the continous flow of fight-> story cutscene-> an other fight. Ok this is how action adventure and fps games work but this is a 50 hours RPG. It was just a bad design choice maybe forced by a troubled and prolonged development like the team hinted at.

Btw I'd like to discuss about the plot....as always japanese story are not that clear :lol
What I don't get is why the Cocoon Fal'Cies long for Cocoon destruction? It seems like Orphan just wants to die because it prefers death to life :lol while Baldanders wants the world to be recreated by the goddess but why? They want the goddess to give fal'Cies the freedom that she gave to the human race? How can he be so sure of what the goddess is gonna do if Coccoon gets destroyed?
The reason behind the main villain doings should be explained more convincingly by the game....
The actual Focus of Lightning and crew was to destroy the Coccoon Fal'Cies and save Coccon from falling on Pulse by summoning Ragnarok, right? So in that sense Pulse Fal'Cie Anima knew what was gonna happen?
Why the original war between Pulse and Coccoon started in first place? The goddess prevented Fang from destroying Coccoon?

george_us

Just got to Gran Pulse. Fuck why the hell isn't this the majority of the game instead of it being accessible 30 freaking hours into the game. You should only be in Cocoon maybe the first ten hours or so. Gran Pulse has such a great sense of mystery to it that I just want to run around and explore everything. Fuck Square you stupid sons of bitches. Every piece of DLC you have planned for FFXIII better take place exclusively on Gran Pulse.

Amir0x

Banned
BocoDragon said:
I think it's about as good as the other level designs pre-Pulse... which is not say, it's not. Zig zags, straight lines... whatever, it's all the same.

I did particularly like the art when you were on the outside sections of the level.. so in that sense I liked it more than, say, Vile Peaks. Joking aside, I do think it's the weight of all the other shitty linearity that's making you take it out on the Palamecia- that level isn't worse in particular IMO... not that I blame you.

I enjoy aspects of this game. The level design for Chapter 1-10 is not one of them.

you're always trying to tell me where you think my opinion is coming from

BOCODRAGON, I know why I feel the way I do! It's not because of some pent up anger about the linearity - I've expressed my feelings on that nonstop for days and weeks! I have no need to "release" anything!

It really IS just because I think the ship dungeon is abysmally designed. :lol

I've even given you extremely specific reason why this dungeon is cumulatively the worst of all so far...

1. Really easy unfun palette swapped soldiers everywhere
2. Boring endless Red hallways with no pleasing visual aesthetic to speak of/repeating texture hell
3. Lame nonsensical linear landing strips that totally kill any suspension of disbelief. Like even in this universe a ship would be designed with features like this. Ridiculous!
4. Music = Boring
5. ALARM ALARM ALARM FUCK YOU G(@&*@*&@&*

I don't need to list 6. LINEAR, because that applies to everywhere in this game.

True, Vile Peaks is also a bad dungeon, but compared to this ship, it's like the Water Temple in Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

MechaX

I think these Adamantoises are going to drive me insane.

Death seemingly works once in a blue moon, and when trying to fight it normally, my medics are too fucking stupid to actually heal the party to full health. When playing as the medic, the Commando person always decides to target any body part at random and the Saboteur always likes to use hodge-podge combinations of debuffs rather than just sticking with one and switching when it lands. I really, really miss gambits at this point.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
mibm said:
I don't normally support horse armor dlc tactics, but I would buy a gold egg item in an instant.

Oh crap, If they NamcoBandai'ed the game and sold gold DLC, I'd buy it. :lol

MechaX said:

Death seemingly works once in a blue moon, and when trying to fight it normally, my medics are too fucking stupid to actually heal the party to full health. When playing as the medic, the Commando person always decides to target any body part at random and the Saboteur always likes to use hodge-podge combinations of debuffs rather than just sticking with one and switching when it lands. I really, really miss gambits at this point.

Have you seen the strategy videos?
They're very effective but almost contingent on having the Genji Glove.

Rpgmonkey

george_us said:
Just got to Gran Pulse. Fuck why the hell isn't this the majority of the game instead of it being accessible 30 freaking hours into the game. You should only be in Cocoon maybe the first ten hours or so. Gran Pulse has such a great sense of mystery to it that I just want to run around and explore everything. Fuck Square you stupid sons of bitches. Every piece of DLC you have planned for FFXIII better take place exclusively on Gran Pulse.

I think there should have been a good mix of the two throughout the game, with you being able to visit optional areas of Cocoon later on.

You start off in a few Cocoon sections, then go to Pulse, then jump back up to Cocoon, eventually getting an airship. You can then fly back and forth between Cocoon and Pulse at will, and you'd be able to visit new areas on Cocoon and Pulse.

Amir0x said:
it looks really neat from the outside in the CG cutscene!

Yeah, it does, but I mean I even like the dungeon design but those rarely bother me in any game. Dungeon length on the other hand is something I'm very critical about.

onken

MechaX said:

How far along is your CP development? They're fairly easy to kill without death-spam/support smoke fairly soon. Use Fang as your main, her high wind technique (or whatever it's called) is invaluable. Don't forget Genji gloves.

SYN/SYN/MED (apply buffs, especially haste and brave)
COM/RAV/MED (go after a leg)
RAV/RAV/MED (stagger the leg)
COM/RAV/MED (take leg out using high wind, go after the other leg)
RAV/RAV/MED (stagger the other leg)
COM/RAV/MED (take out the other leg, wait for it to fall over)
SAB/SAB/SAB (make sure weak, deprotect, deshell sticks)
RAV/RAV/RAV (get the stagger bar up to ~950%)
COM/COM/COM (as long as you're buffed up you should kill it, you can try using high wind again towards the end if your stagger bar is about to run out)

I liked the design in Chapter 9 a lot, too. I'm not sure where the hate is coming from. It wasn't the best area in the game or anything, but it certainly wasn't a bad area.

Amir0x

Banned
well i explained in exact details where the hate is coming from so obviously if you don't care about those significant issues then that's probably why it's somehow different for you.

preeeetty easy to understand where the hate is coming from when you're being given a roadmap.

jiien

Unknown Soldier said:
Sounds like we have another recruit for the VDF. :D

Someone wanna make me an avatar? I'm awful at that kind of stuff :(

Edit: wait wait wait, I'm gonna try this :p

Edit again: Woo there it is. Not the best, but Vanille won't care...

Amir0x said:
well i explained in exact details where the hate is coming from so obviously if you don't care about those significant issues then that's probably why it's somehow different for you.

preeeetty easy to understand where the hate is coming from when you're being given a roadmap.

I actually loved it mainly because of being out in the open sky. I was indifferent about the hallways and the alarm was annoying as hell, but just looking out at the sky to see a bunch of monsters, airships, and even parts of Pules (I think) was quite breath taking.

onken said:
How far along is your CP development? They're fairly easy to kill without death-spam/support smoke fairly soon. Use Fang as your main, her high wind technique (or whatever it's called) is invaluable. Don't forget Genji gloves.

SYN/SYN/MED (apply buffs, especially haste and brave)
COM/RAV/MED (go after a leg)
RAV/RAV/MED (stagger the leg)
COM/RAV/MED (take leg out using high wind, go after the other leg)
RAV/RAV/MED (stagger the other leg)
COM/RAV/MED (take out the other leg, wait for it to fall over)
SAB/SAB/SAB (make sure weak, deprotect, deshell sticks)
RAV/RAV/RAV (get the stagger bar up to ~950%)
COM/COM/COM (as long as you're buffed up you should kill it, you can try using high wind again towards the end if your stagger bar is about to run out)
Could you give a bit more detail about what you think would be an advisable setup for doing this? Which other two characters would be a good idea, any particular equipment, et cetera. I've maxed out the three main roles with everyone and am decently far along (at the 21,000 CP cost tier) in the secondary roles, and any method for taking these guys out that doesn't involve grinding for TP between battles would be invaluable.

7Th

Elios83 said:
Just finished the game in about 50 hours.
I definetly enjoyed it, graphics and fighting system are top notch. I don't think the main issue with the game is linearity but the absence of towns/villages where you can break the continous flow of fight-> story cutscene-> an other fight. Ok this is how action adventure and fps games work but this is a 50 hours RPG. It was just a bad design choice maybe forced by a troubled and prolonged development like the team hinted at.

Btw I'd like to discuss about the plot....as always japanese story are not that clear :lol
What I don't get is why the Cocoon Fal'Cies long for Cocoon destruction? It seems like Orphan just wants to die because it prefers death to life :lol while Baldanders wants the world to be recreated by the goddess but why? They want the goddess to give fal'Cies the freedom that she gave to the human race? How can he be so sure of what the goddess is gonna do if Coccoon gets destroyed?
The reason behind the main villain doings should be explained more convincingly by the game....
The actual Focus of Lightning and crew was to destroy the Coccoon Fal'Cies and save Coccon from falling on Pulse by summoning Ragnarok, right? So in that sense Pulse Fal'Cie Anima knew what was gonna happen?
Why the original war between Pulse and Coccoon started in first place? The goddess prevented Fang from destroying Coccoon?

-Cocoon's fal'Cie were created by Lindze, a "fallen" God. Lindze is probably Barthandelus himself. Barthandelus just wanted the Maker to come back and rebuild the world because he thought the world had become too much of a mess to handle.
-Nope. Anima's Focus for the main characters was indeed to destroy Cocoon. The purpose of Lightning, Snow, Sazh and Hope was to get the Chosen, Vanille and Fang, to Orphan. Vanille and Fang's destiny was to destroy Orphan and Cocoon by becoming Ragnarok. In the ending, it just happened that Vanille and Fang "destroyed" Cocoon in their own way by crystallizing it and preventing the death of everyone inside.
-The original War of Transgression started when Cocoon, as its population grew to unsustainable levels, began to loot stuff from Pulse and, as it would be expected, people from Pulse tried to fight back against this Cocoon invasion. Fang and Vanille became l'Cie during this period.
-Fang's Ragnarok failed to destroy Cocoon because it was an incomplete Ragnarok. Ragnarok, the Beast capable of actually destroying Cocoon and Orphan, can only be "summoned" by Fang and Vanille together.

BocoDragon

Amir0x said:
you're always trying to tell me where you think my opinion is coming from

BOCODRAGON, I know why I feel the way I do! It's not because of some pent up anger about the linearity - I've expressed my feelings on that nonstop for days and weeks! I have no need to "release" anything!
If you're trying to argue that with the comparison of this one level compared to the others, which I perceive to all be about the same (awful), one is much worse than the others... what else can I say but "I guess the game has led you to madness." it's a comment in jest, not some psychological profile of Amirox. Like I care that much about you and your decision making process. :lol

Now you backed up your opinion with a series of arguments.. so great. I get your point.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Random question that I saw asked in the thread days ago but I can't remember the answer and I can't find it right now: is there any inherent advantage to mixing different types of attacks like the AI does? As in, instead of using sparkstrike>sparkstrike>sparkstrike>sparkstrike I go for thunder>sparkstrike>thunder>sparkstrike?

jiien

Fuu said:
Random question that I saw asked in the thread days ago but I can't remember the answer and I can't find it right now: is there any inherent advantage to mixing different types of attacks like the AI does? As in, instead of using sparkstrike>sparkstrike>sparkstrike>sparkstrike I go for thunder>sparkstrike>thunder>sparkstrike?

As far as I know, no there isn't. AI just does that because both moves are viable, and it's less boring than doing the same thing all the time?

However, as a user (for the one character you can control), it may be worth using attacks with low "recoil" (can't think of the real word right now), as in, attacks where the animation is quicker, and so there is less downtime. For example, alternating the strikes and casting skills seems to take longer than just simply using all strikes or all casts, because the animations have to alternate. So there may actually be a benefit to using all of one, rather than mixing them up, but the AI doesn't take this into account and just uses both because elementally for that monster, both are viable.

At least, that's what I think.

Llyranor

Seems to be mostly for show, I think all that really matters is the enemy's elemental weaknesses and resistance to physical/magic.

Diebuster

Beat
Cid
. The amount of bullshit he pulled in that fight was fucking ridiculous. Holy shit. Having to start over after getting Doomed was not pleasant. :(

Elios83

7Th said:
-Cocoon's fal'Cie were created by Lindze, a "fallen" God. Lindze is probably Barthandelus himself. Barthandelus just wanted the Maker to come back and rebuild the world because he thought the world had become too much of a mess to handle.
-Nope. Anima's Focus for the main characters was indeed to destroy Cocoon. The purpose of Lightning, Snow, Sazh and Hope was to get the Chosen, Vanille and Fang, to Orphan. Vanille and Fang's destiny was to destroy Orphan and Cocoon by becoming Ragnarok. In the ending, it just happened that Vanille and Fang "destroyed" Cocoon in their own way by crystallizing it and preventing the death of everyone inside.
-The original War of Transgression started when Cocoon, as its population grew to unsustainable levels, began to loot stuff from Pulse and, as it would be expected, people from Pulse tried to fight back against this Cocoon invasion. Fang and Vanille became l'Cie during this period.
-Fang's Ragnarok failed to destroy Cocoon because it was an incomplete Ragnarok. Ragnarok, the Beast capable of actually destroying Cocoon and Orphan, can only be "summoned" by Fang and Vanille together.

Thank you!
Did you get those infos on the official guide or it's your interpretation?
The game is really open on a few themes.
BTW:

The fact Barthandelus or Baldanders like he's called in the european version, wants the goddess to recreate the world because it's a mess sounds a bit weak as a motivation moreover he can't know if and how the goddess would recreate the world.
In the pre-ending cutscenes it seems the fal'Cies long for freedom, because they are born to do one thing and they aren't free like humans. Maybe they want to reunite with the creator and become free.
About the focus, yeah it could be that Anima just wanted the l'Cies to destroy Coccoon so Baldanders said the truth since the beginning. But it would be more interesting if their focus actually was to take Orphan/Eden/Baldanders down and then using Ragnarok to save the people inside Coccoon which couldn't float anymore without its fal'Cies. It seems open to interpretation.
Also it's really fascinating that Fang alone could only make an incomplete Ragnarok, but in that case shouldn't Vanille be a Cieth? She didn't take part in that during the original war so she didn't complete her focus. In the archive section the game also says that the goddess herself took the strength out of Ragnarok thus saving Coccoon.

jiien said:
As far as I know, no there isn't. AI just does that because both moves are viable, and it's less boring than doing the same thing all the time?

However, as a user (for the one character you can control), it may be worth using attacks with low "recoil" (can't think of the real word right now), as in, attacks where the animation is quicker, and so there is less downtime. For example, alternating the strikes and casting skills seems to take longer than just simply using all strikes or all casts, because the animations have to alternate. So there may actually be a benefit to using all of one, rather than mixing them up, but the AI doesn't take this into account and just uses both because elementally for that monster, both are viable.

Maybe just cast haste and avoid the problem. I cant recall if it increased the speed at which they cast and used the skill as well.

xintin

Im at the end of Ch.11 I think,
just beat Barthandelus in Oerba
If I
get on the airship to Cocoon, can I come back to Pulse or is that it?

I actually think the dungeon of 10 was worse than 9. It was WAY too boring. Damn those culturally insensitive birds.

I must be on a roll if I've not had a problem with any boss/mini-boss for the last few chapters (7-10).

Mandoric

Banned
MechaX said:
Death seemingly works once in a blue moon

The only things that affect Death accuracy are
other debuffs with icons active (flat +1%) and role bonuses (+40% for level 5, +12% for each other J at level 5, lower returns for lower levels.) So at best you'll have a 1.64% chance to land it, plus 1.64% per other debuff active, for a total of 14.76% with Deprote/Deshell/Debrave/Defaith/Weak/Heavy/Slow/Bio, assuming it's weak to none of those.
Usually, to save time, I start the battle JEJ since the party members are gone when the summon's out anyway and immediately after summon I have Vanille auto-attack three times, canceling as soon as the icon appears, to stick Deprote/Deshell/Weak. This lets me start spamming Death with about 30,000 points left on Hecatoncheires. Then as soon as my enhancer gets Haste back up, switch to JJJ for that last 12% boost.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
jiien said:

Llyranor said:
Seems to be mostly for show, I think all that really matters is the enemy's elemental weaknesses and resistance to physical/magic.
Thanks. :)

Pancho

Qurupancho
Diebuster said:
Beat
Cid
. The amount of bullshit he pulled in that fight was fucking ridiculous. Holy shit. Having to start over after getting Doomed was not pleasant. :(

Man the more I read this thread the more I realize how lucky I was or something against him, he posed no trouble for me and killed him fairly quickly.

Amir0x said:

This is the worst chapter by far. And that's saying something! This slog through the first 10 chapters to hopefully hit this pinnacle in chapter 11 feels like i'm participating in The Passion or something. This is how Jesus felt wearing the crown of thorns!

Chapter 11 is like the resurrection. Or just a cold splash of water to wake one up from the slumber of the glazed eye march.

The story got really good starting in Chapter 7. And yes, Chapter 9 really dragged on way too long. But then at the end,
Pope Fal'cie acts as your friendly neighborhood plot explainer and explains the whole plot!
So it's worth slogging through Chapter 9 just to get that! :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom