• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

I stopped playing in Chapter 4 and it's so fucking hard to find the will to go back to this game, even when I know it'll get much better by Chapter 11. I don't want to trudge through a bunch of bullshit just to get to the golden nugget. Fuck you Square. I don't think I've ever had this happen with any RPG.

FFXIII along with Spore are the two most stunning disappointments of this generation.

jiien said:
Someone wanna make me an avatar? I'm awful at that kind of stuff :(

Edit: wait wait wait, I'm gonna try this :p

Edit again: Woo there it is. Not the best, but Vanille won't care...

Learn how to Shop, for Vanille's sake! :lol

RPGCrazied

FateBreaker said:
The ch 11 end boss is insanely unfair. Seriously, a kazillon HP and then, a quarter left, he gives me that timer of death?

CHEAP.

debuffing is key.. and 2 com.. he halfs rav dmg.. and 2 medics, and have a sent

so I used light/fang/hope

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
FateBreaker said:
The ch 11 end boss is insanely unfair. Seriously, a kazillon HP and then, a quarter left, he gives me that timer of death?

CHEAP.
make sure you have a sab to protected him and stuff
, at the time I fought him I didn't even know that, so it took me like 20mins :lol

edit, beaten...

7Th

Elios83 said:
Thank you!
Did you get those infos on the official guide or it's your interpretation?
The game is really open on a few themes.
BTW:

The fact Barthandelus or Baldanders like he's called in the european version, wants the goddess to recreate the world because it's a mess sounds a bit weak as a motivation moreover he can't know if and how the goddess would recreate the world.
In the pre-ending cutscenes it seems the fal'Cies long for freedom, because they are born to do one thing and they aren't free like humans. Maybe they want to reunite with the creator and become free.
About the focus, yeah it could be that Anima just wanted the l'Cies to destroy Coccoon so Baldanders said the truth since the beginning. But it would be more interesting if their focus actually was to take Orphan/Eden/Baldanders down and then using Ragnarok to save the people inside Coccoon which couldn't float anymore without its fal'Cies. It seems open to interpretation.
Also it's really fascinating that Fang alone could only make an incomplete Ragnarok, but in that case shouldn't Vanille be a Cieth? She didn't take part in that during the original war so she didn't complete her focus. In the archive section the game also says that the goddess herself took the strength out of Ragnarok thus saving Coccoon.

It's mostly information from the LE Guide and the Analects, but the bit about
Fang's Ragnarok being incomplete due to the lack of Vanille is my interpretation as, in the Analects, they're BOTH called the Chosen that have to bear the burden of the Beast.

Anyway,
Barthandelus/Balanders motivation and what really happened 600 years ago with Fang and Vanille's Focus are a total cloud of ambiguity... but I can still tell you that you got something very wrong: the Goddess that stopped Fang's Ragnarok and the Maker that Barthandelus wants to call back are different entities. The Goddess that stopped Fang's Ragnarok is some sort of "divine providence" and the she made it so that they were both crystallized despite not fully completing their Focus; the Maker that Barthandelus wants to call back is God Pulse, creator of the land, humans and the fal'Cie.

Oli

Good grief. Just got to the end of Chapter 9
and shocker, a hard boss to finish a hard chapter. I got to his bare form on my first try, after removing the turrets, but then I died randomly from one of his attacks. I think I forgot to recast protective stuff with my synergist. Second try I died when there were two turrets remaining, which seems to be the hardest part of the fight, since they get so bloody resilient all of a sudden. Anything else I need to keep in mind? I don't want to have to redo this much more. Also my team is Lightning/Vanille/Hope

Jeez this game is hard. But not frustrating so far.

Oli

RPGCrazied said:
lol, gets harder my friend

To be honest I didn't find it hard at all on my first try. I was staying alive pretty easily. Then I randomly kicked the bucket, which is annoying.

Oli

RPGCrazied said:
No.. i mean the bosses after that get harder.

I wish they'd let you carry on even if your primary character dies. I could have been revived still, though it probably would have been futile with the relentless attacks. Oh well.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Paznos

God finally! 3 stars on the Chapter 11 boss, god the whole time I was using 3 ravs..... no fucking wonder I couldn't kill it.

_Xenon_

Banned
FateBreaker said:

CHEAP.
I used rev/rev/com and managed to beat him in almost 22 mins (with only 200 doom ticks left). I should have picked com/com/rev to make it easier but who the fuck knows this boss halves all magic? The battle system in FFXIII is just frustrating at this moment after maybe 3 hours of excitement. After FFXI, it seems SE just wants to make a quick buck by slapping MMO system into FF and call it a day. The graphics and CG are still following their good tradition but the system and story simply get worse and worse.

_Xenon_ said:
I used rev/rev/com and managed to beat him in almost 22 mins (with only 200 doom ticks left). I should have picked com/com/rev to make it easier but who the fuck knows this boss halves all magic? The battle system in FFXIII is just frustrating at this moment after maybe 3 hours of exciting.

Did you use Libra then check the stats? I do that for most boss battles so far and seems to really help myself and the AI make better decisions.

_Xenon_

Banned
DualShadow said:
Did you use Libra then check the stats? I do that for most boss battles so far and seems to really help myself and the AI make better decisions.
I did. But the problem is I didn't even have the com/com/rev setup and I didn't want to waste 20mins of fight only to re-create my team setup. They should make the paradigm creation viable during battle as well. The last 2mins of that fight was a wild ride indeed.

RPGCrazied

Sad Im almost on the last chapter..

game took what, 5 years to come out? I beat it in a week.. lol - I wonder how long itll be till FF 15 :(

Meier

Holy crap, the Chapter 9 boss just raped me! Ouch! I was doing fine, killed one part of him then it was just a neverending stream of -ga's and I couldn't keep up.

Any suggestions?

I just got to
Chapter 9
and just
got to the bridge of the ship. HOLY SHIT! I can't believe Primarch is a fucking Fal'Cie.. I have to say the story just ramped up! I hope that he didn't kill that blond haired bitch because I wanted to kick the shit out of her for what she did to Sazh's kid. Anyway, I just attempted beating down Mr. Fal'Cie, but got totally owned after killing the left paldron. His right paldron started casting 3 -aga spells at once on my party at once. Lets just say they looked like this: X_X.
What do you guys recommend for this fight?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
RPGCrazied said:

game took what, 5 years to come out? I beat it in a week.. lol - I wonder how long itll be till FF 15 :(

You be waiting forever on that one. Versus XIII is the next 'main line' single player title.

Meier said:
Holy crap, the Primarch just raped me! Ouch! I was doing fine, killed one part of him then it was just a neverending stream of -ga's and I couldn't keep up.
I agree... please mark for spoilers.
I am also at the same party... man.. he beat my ass down hard!

RPGCrazied

use a librascope on all the heads.. ravage them like crazy.

When he charges for a super attack, rentless assualt and he will say "ughhh" meaning his super move won't hurt as much

Meier

burgerdog said:
^^ Spoilers, unless everybody knew that you would fight that guy down the line. Talking about post 9901.
He isn't really referenced all that much until you say you're going to kill him so saying it's a spoiler seems kinda silly but I edited it just the same.

Rpgmonkey

Taking out turtles like Mario now. :D

Still kind of a boring grind, but it's much less repetitive than the Death method.

RPGCrazied said:

2012, believe?

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
Big Papa Husker said:
I just got to
Chapter 9
and just
got to the bridge of the ship. HOLY SHIT! I can't believe Primarch is a fucking Fal'Cie.. I have to say the story just ramped up! I hope that he didn't kill that blond haired bitch because I wanted to kick the shit out of her for what she did to Sazh's kid. Anyway, I just attempted beating down Mr. Fal'Cie, but got totally owned after killing the left paldron. His right paldron started casting 3 -aga spells at once on my party at once. Lets just say they looked like this: X_X.
What do you guys recommend for this fight?

As you know the boss spams powerful magic and has a ton of HP. In order to keep a steady rhythm in the fights, you have to have a sentinel in the party. Since the boss's attacks are so damaging, I used Hope to cast defensive buffs. My party was Lightning/Snow/Hope and Snow was acting as sentinel for more than half the fight.

Rpgmonkey said:
Taking out turtles like Mario now. :D

Still kind of a boring grind, but it's much less repetitive than the Death method.
I'm finding the Death method to still be the fastest way of doing it, tbqh. Once I get one ultimate weapon going (for Fang, natch) it'll be a different story, of course. I'm not gonna go for that method of fully upgrading a spear/wand and then breaking it down because that's still costing you a ton of money (and money = time). I figure that once I've got one ultimate weapon, it shouldn't be so bad to grind out the adamantoises because I'll be powerful enough to take them down on the offensive side (defensively I can handle them decently well, though Roar still fucks with me).

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Amir0x said:
I seriously cannot possibly imagine anyone designing a worse RPG dungeon than this ship. I am being completely serious. There were tons of other linear chapters so far (read: every single one) that I didn't single out because they still looked pretty most of the time in their own way.

The ship is just a mess of design. Most of the time, it's nonsensically laid out linear landing docks followed by endless red hallways of repeating textures everywhere. And to top it off, most of the time you have to hear a goddamn alarm. WOOO WOOO WOOO FUCK YOU SHUT OFF! And the enemies are so dull and it's fucking palette swap heaven everywhere.

I would not pay 200ms points for this dungeon if it was downloadable.

Funny you mentioned that & still say FFXII was going in the right directions since every dungeon in that game was similar to the one in Chapter 9.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So I managed to beat all missions, three of them hasn't been 5 star'd and I'm sure I'm not going to be able to without ultimate weapons. I have none of them so I'll start farming later on today :) I have a Trap so Kain's Lance is waiting for me!

Volcynika

Oy, made some progress at least. Maxed out everyone's 3 primary roles, and got 84% of the missions completed, all 5-stars. Only have two of the
Titan's trials
left.

ElFly

I loved chapter 11's atmosphere.

Chapter 12 is very pretty. Oh, Square, why must you taunt me with
next gen f-zero like goodness

_Xenon_ said:
I did. But the problem is I didn't even have the com/com/rev setup and I didn't want to waste 20mins of fight only to re-create my team setup. They should make the paradigm creation viable during battle as well. The last 2mins of that fight was a wild ride indeed.

Yea and sometimes i wish i had more paradigm slots cause i feel i need more :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
RPGCrazied said:
What is the
Titan's Trials?

just more hunts?
Yep.

MechaX

firehawk12 said:
Have you seen the strategy videos?
They're very effective but almost contingent on having the Genji Glove.

Believe me, I have. I can actually kill one one of them when using the summon method no problem (especially since the haste shroud isn't that expensive anyway). Doing it the normal way only works some of the times. Mostly due to other party members just attacking body parts at random or medics being absolute incompetent and inept at their jobs.

"Hm... I could use a Curaja and heal my party from 10,000 HP to full health of 15,000 HP, especially since the Adamantoise's stomp does 11,000 AND I have plenty of time to do it... But I will just stand here and do nothing!"

It's a definite head-desk moment for me and at this point, I am absolutely baffled at why Square didn't just give us a little control over the AI to avoid shit like this. This wasn't cool in Persona 3 and it's not cool here.

Dresden

MechaX said:
Believe me, I have. I can actually kill one one of them when using the summon method no problem (especially since the haste shroud isn't that expensive anyway). Doing it the normal way only works some of the times. Mostly due to other party members just attacking body parts at random or medics being absolute incompetent and inept at their jobs.

"Hm... I could use a Curaja and heal my party from 10,000 HP to full health of 15,000 HP, especially since the Adamantoise's stomp does 11,000 AND I have plenty of time to do it... But I will just stand here and do nothing!"

It's a definite head-desk moment for me and at this point, I am absolutely baffled at why Square didn't just give us a little control over the AI to avoid shit like this. This wasn't cool in Persona 3 and it's not cool here.
To be fair, at least in XIII there's no chance of someone getting Charmed and casting Diarahan on the enemy.

Dresden said:
To be fair, at least in XIII there's no chance of someone getting Charmed and casting Diarahan on the enemy.

The final boss of P3 doing that was one of the most controller-smashingly infuriating things it could possibly do, especially since it likes doing that when it's low on life just to piss you off.

Meier said:
Holy crap, the Chapter 9 boss just raped me! Ouch! I was doing fine, killed one part of him then it was just a neverending stream of -ga's and I couldn't keep up.

Any suggestions?

Just keep using Relenetless Assault and Combat Clinic (try to apply Haste if you have it as well). Really the faster and quicker you get to stagger the better you are, only heal when really low too. I got through in just one try.

Oh and the technique RENEW is your friend.

I cant say how many times RENEW and even DISPELGA have helped me get through so much of the post Chapter 9 stuff, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom