• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
dreamer3kx said:
So I should grind out the level before continuing through the story (missions etc..?) Can I get back to the open area if I decide to go through with the story?

I did it there because I thought the Chapter 10 boss would be a best. Once you get to Chapter 11 there is another great spot to max out the characters on the next level of the crysterium that opens up too, which I did to max out their CP level at that point too.

Indrew

Neo Member
jiien said:
I can confirm this, you DON'T need to dismantle items before hand. Simply upgrade the Tiara to * first, and then dismantle. In fact, if you ever dismantle anything, you should always upgrade it to * first.

Good to know. Thanks!

Tabs

levious said:
doesn't the R1 menu pause the battle? That could help a bit I guess, as long as you're able to see the damage being done as it's indicated.
It puts up the enemy info screen and pause blurs out the screen. It's like Fuu said, there's just a barrage of giant numbers overlapping on the screen. I've done some work putting the other characters in SEN/MED roles so I can look at only my attacks. Between that and the semi-translation of the Battle Ultimania at GameFAQs, I think I have it figured out. Just the false help text and auto-battle picking stupid things that make me question myself :)

Basically:
- Attack does STR x 1.2 damage
- Basic magic does MAG x 1.0 damage
- -ra magic does MAG x 1.5 damage in area
- Magic strikes do STR x 1.2 damage
- COM gets another 2x+ multiplier (which is why they do more damage than RAV)
- Enemy weakness adds another 2x multiplier

So, -ra magic against a single target can't out damage 2 regular spells of the same type. Hopefully that helps if you are min/max-ing shooting for 5* rankings.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
How do you get monsters to respawn? I'm trying to grind before the
Brynhildr battle because I can't finish before the counter ends.

expy

Banned
sazabirules said:
the x (where you killed them) needs to be well off your radar, then you can return and they should be there.

Exhumed

Just got my copy last night, hit the intro video and first fight, then went to bed. Going to dive deep into this game this weekend. Going to visit parents. Will play this and have my mom make me food and bring snacks so I don't have to do it myself :lol

Kyoufu

sazabirules said:

Some stuff will respawn once you're out of range of them and other stuff will respawn when you re-enter the zone.

DR2K

Banned
Just beat it. I really don't know what to think about this game. Definitely better than the previous gen of FF. Game play is crack.

Hyunkel6

Chapter 11: Is there a way to distinguish the
cieth stones
for which I did the missions from those for which I didn't do the missions on the map/mini-map?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hyunkel6 said:
Chapter 11: Is there a way to distinguish the
cieth stones
for which I did the missions from those for which I didn't do the missions on the map/mini-map?

New missions will blink on your map.

Animator

Any tips for chapter 4. I am stuck at the part you play as sach and vanille. They are both support characters so I am getting my ass kicked against the retarded strong enemies the game throws at you.

:(

Animator said:
Any tips for chapter 4. I am stuck at the part you play as sach and vanille. They are both support characters so I am getting my ass kicked against the retarded strong enemies the game throws at you.

:(

I don't remember having any problems. Are you staggering the mobs?

Arren

Dedication Through Light said:
Once you get to Chapter 11 there is another great spot to max out the characters on the next level of the crysterium that opens up too, which I did to max out their CP level at that point too.
I'm in Chapter 11 right now and so far I have enjoyed the game much more than what I had anticipated.
I was afraid that the extremely linear structure could hinder the game's variety and vivacity, but everything of it has been quite a pleasant surprise.

That said, could you point me to this spot? Some quick CP levelling would be very appreciated at the moment.

I caved and bought this game

I am at 7 hours @ Ch 4

I am really liking this game so far. The story is good, the world is very interesting. The combat system is FUN. I like lightning, she is tough and keeps to herself, Sazh is a very good character. Vanille I really didn't like at first, but I don't mind her as much now. Snow is JUST like a friend of mine, so I don't mind him as much. Hope is such an emo bag. I hate him, but he is the quintessential japanese emo kid, so it's not as if I didn't expect it.

I think I can't play this game for more than an hour though. I get kind of bored or tired, but I guess that's a problem I have with games in general, although I haven't played any game but this one in a long time.

I'm at chapter 12 after the cutscene where
Snow reunites with NORA and they open the gate for him.
About how much left would I have till endgame? The game is really starting to drag on by now.

Arren said:
I'm in Chapter 11 right now and so far I have enjoyed the game much more than what I had anticipated.
I was afraid that the extremely linear structure could hinder the game's variety and vivacity, but everything of it has been quite a pleasant surprise.

That said, could you point me to this spot? Some quick CP levelling would be very appreciated at the moment.

In the cave section you reach upon first entering the place, you run from thesave point then, instead of keeping straight you turn left and then go down that corridor up to (the hidden Juggernaut machine). Could easily make 39,000 CP in just a run back and forth (when you get to the juggernaut fight, just select retry so then the enemies will respawn in that room, then you can run behind them and back to the save point and then at the save point turn and run back. It was pretty fast, especially if you use Thundaga, Blizzaga, Watera, and Firaga :). Im not by my guide so I cant say the exact name of that location (its that mining cave) but that was the best spot for me for that point in time.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
hectorse said:
I caved and bought this game

I am at 7 hours @ Ch 4

I am really liking this game so far. The story is good, the world is very interesting. The combat system is FUN. I like lightning, she is tough and keeps to herself, Sazh is a very good character. Vanille I really didn't like at first, but I don't mind her as much now. Snow is JUST like a friend of mine, so I don't mind him as much. Hope is such an emo bag. I hate him, but he is the quintessential japanese emo kid, so it's not as if I didn't expect it.

I think I can't play this game for more than an hour though. I get kind of bored or tired, but I guess that's a problem I have with games in general, although I haven't played any game but this one in a long time.

hope gets a lot better. i hated him, now he's one of my favs.

LethaL ImpuLse said:
About how much left would I have till endgame? The game is really starting to drag on by now.

Probably 4 to 6 hours. Youre rather close and can get there faster if you ignore the lengthy fights.

falastini

LethaL ImpuLse said:

I think you still have a long dungeon left before the final fight, and you're right it does drag on. I was so sick of it, at that point, that I just used invis powders as much as I could the last few chapters. I still managed to do the final fight in one try.

IrishNinja

man, that gamespot forum guide was awesome, thanks for the link.

im also just now at chapter 11 and the veldt the open field is awesome, trying to knock out some of the quests here.

i know Light, Fang & Hope are the default, and contain all the classes therein, but i think id like to switch Hope for Van, im just wondering how much im going to miss his Synergist abilities. he's not even as good there right now as Sazh is (god i wish he had haste, so good) but to those with this party: are you struggling without this class? or did you just grind like crazy to make another character take it on, or wha?

its like this brave new world, where so many things can fucking kill me. i got ballsy after taking down some wyvern thing, and this giant brontosaur stomped twice and killed er'body. im not even sure he noticed us, come to think of it.

DR2K

Banned
End game spoilers. I just realized
what the logo meant, I didn't see notice the girls, now I'm kinda depressed. . .

I'm pretty excited about the endgame stuff.

DR2K said:
End game spoilers. I just realized
what the logo meant, I didn't see notice the girls, now I'm kinda depressed. . .

I'm pretty excited about the endgame stuff.

well if it were only true "endgame" stuff. I envision it in which you
roam the new world to do the quests, though then that would mean that everyone would lose Vanille and Fang. Though with how it ended, do we get some new bonus for redoing the final boss fight?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
IrishNinja said:
man, that gamespot forum guide was awesome, thanks for the link.

im also just now at chapter 11 and the veldt the open field is awesome, trying to knock out some of the quests here.

i know Light, Fang & Hope are the default, and contain all the classes therein, but i think id like to switch Hope for Van, im just wondering how much im going to miss his Synergist abilities. he's not even as good there right now as Sazh is (god i wish he had haste, so good) but to those with this party: are you struggling without this class? or did you just grind like crazy to make another character take it on, or wha?

its like this brave new world, where so many things can fucking kill me. i got ballsy after taking down some wyvern thing, and this giant brontosaur stomped twice and killed er'body. im not even sure he noticed us, come to think of it.

I rolled with Light, Fang and Vanille there, and eventually hope will get haste for you. You don't need the synergist skills at that point.

Lightning

Banned
I don't know, I didn't mind Lightning as a back up Ravanger but I felt she comes up short when compared to Vanille and Hope and Lightning's healing is WAY below that of Vanille and Hope.

For this reason Fang was left out of my party because Fang was mainly useful with physical attacks, Ravanger is not part of her main 3, and I am not a fan of Sentinal. Fang has great power but is too imbalanced to be part of my main party where Lightning delivers quite powerful attacks and gives you a 3rd Ravanger and Medic. I don't know, I found in some situations that 3 medics to heal everyone really quickly worked out really well.

This is why I had a Vanille (Leader in most battles)/Lightning/Hope as I found they suited my style best and delivered me the best results.

roam the new world to do the quests, though then that would mean that everyone would lose Vanille and Fang. Though with how it ended, do we get some new bonus for redoing the final boss fight?

There's a trophy/achievement for a 5-star on the final battle. On the PS3, you unlock Lightning's PS3 theme.

Oli

On Disk 3 now.

Couple questions (please answer without spoilers)
I've heard a lot about some kind of missions once the game opens up. At what point does this happen, what chapter, and am I able to return to these missions post game completion? Or will I have to do them all beforehand if I want to see everything?

Toki767

DoctorWho said:
FUCK!!! Still can't beat chapter 10 boss!! It's been a week! Can someone come over and do it for me?
If you're having trouble try using shrouds. They make things much easier.

Oli said:
On Disk 3 now.

Couple questions (please answer without spoilers) [/spoiler]I've heard a lot about some kind of missions once the game opens up. At what point does this happen, what chapter, and am I able to return to these missions post game completion? Or will I have to do them all beforehand if I want to see everything?[/spoiler]
Chapter 11 and yes, once you beat the game you can go back and continue to do missions.

Meier

Ugghhhh, Chapter 9 boss just keeps freaking beating me. I was doing well and then all the sudden he busts out Doom. Died two times now with him still having about 100k HP left. I did just find out that if you keep wailing away when he is raring up for Destrudo that it'll stop him which should help on my next try...

I wish someone other than Sazh had Haste available. :(

DoctorWho said:
FUCK!!! Still can't beat chapter 10 boss!! It's been a week! Can someone come over and do it for me?

Whos in your party, do you have all the HP covered in the Crysterium for main roles inthe crysterium? , do you use Odin when your team faces great lowered health? do you alternate between doing magic and physical attacks? Resort to using Renew and Dispelga?

Oli

Toki767 said:
Chapter 11 and yes, once you beat the game you can go back and continue to do missions.

Is it really post game play or do you return from the save before the boss? Also would you recommend playing these missions before finishing? I had planned on it but I may get impatient.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I maxed out the crystalaruem and the only missions I have left to do are 51, 62, and 64(which can't be done until I complete the other two).

edit: finished mission 51 with 3 stars, now on to 62...

Whos in your party, do you have all the HP covered in the Crysterium for main roles inthe crysterium? , do you use Odin when your team faces great lowered health? do you alternate between doing magic and physical attacks? Resort to using Renew and Dispelga?

Pretty much everything you said I use. I probably should up my crysterium a little bit more though. I think there are a few more HP crystals I need to get for my main roles.

Toki767

Oli said:
Is it really post game play or do you return from the save before the boss? Also would you recommend playing these missions before finishing? I had planned on it but I may get impatient.
You do return to the save outside the final boss, but really there's no way you should be doing all of those missions before you beat the game because some of them require really high stat builds that are only attainable from unlocking stage 10 of the crystarium which is done by beating the game.

Oli

Toki767 said:
You do return to the save outside the final boss, but really there's no way you should be doing all of those missions before you beat the game because some of them require really high stat builds that are only attainable from unlocking stage 10 of the crystarium which is done by beating the game.

I see, thanks. Just started up Chapter 10 so I guess I'm getting close.

bulovski

Neo Member
I am in chapter 5 and about 15 hours in. While I can go on for hours about how beautiful the game looks and the frikking awesome battle system, I am not impressed by the story / script / characters. The high point till now has been the second Eidolon battle. The low point was
Moms are tough

Man the game looks awesome though - the detail in the environment is painstakingly done.

DR2K

Banned

It's more endgame similar to Star Ocean, ie max the shit out of the battle system to broken levels. My favorite part of all Tri-Ace games.

Nose Master

Are there any recent podcast episodes that actually talk about this game? I haven't heard anything really besides "MAN THIS IS SO LINEAR I HATE RPGS WHERES THE GUNS" in anything yet :(

Meier

Finally beat the Chapter 9 boss on my 4th try. Used Lightning, Snow, Vanille.. got a 0-star on it. :lol Took just under 17 minutes with the target duration being just under 10. Wow. :lol

No buffs meant it was very tough during the parts but with him being debuffed, he was a good bit easier in his solo form.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Meier said:
Finally beat the Chapter 9 boss on my 4th try. Used Lightning, Snow, Vanille.. got a 0-star on it. :lol Took just under 17 minutes with the target duration being just under 10. Wow. :lol

No buffs meant it was very tough during the parts but with him being debuffed, he was a good bit easier in his solo form.

You could of summons Odin or something when the doom counter was going down to zero & that would have negated it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom