• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lince

Banned
FFObsessed said:
Got my copy this morning. First impressions WOW it is GORGEOUS. I know you just move in a straight line but damn, so much detail. One of the best looking games I've played. And the CG is insanely impressive.

son of a b... I'm gonna kill one kitten for each hour my PS3 CE copy is on the road while I'm stuck here staring at the fecking 360 version on my desk, Spaniards are useless, remind me again why I didn't order this one from the UK?

PacoDG

I had the pleasure of recording a Final Fantasy podcast (literally recording, not speaking, you hear my voice in the intro and thats it).. so, for anyone want FF talk (of course leading up to XIII)

Host Richard Schupp talks with fans of the serie Perry Piekarski and Elissa Arms. Get some history on the games, some behind the scenes info, the music, and a lot more.

iTunes

Zune

Direct MP3 Download

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread..

K' Dash

Durante said:
Only until the next prettiest scene in a game ever. There are a few of those :D

the best scene so far for me was:

When Snow comes to rescue Lightning and Hope with the aid of Sheva Sisters, so pretty and awesome

whatdidyousay said:
Any NYC GAFfers know if J&L or VGNY has this in yet? Or that new store on 13th near 3rd Ave.?

I called J&L about one hour ago, they told me to call back this afternoon, Initial D (right beside J&L) usually doesn't get games early, not sure with VGNY.

Flib

whatdidyousay said:
Any NYC GAFfers know if J&L or VGNY has this in yet? Or that new store on 13th near 3rd Ave.?

No luck earlier today, but I haven't been able to call since.

Just completed Chapter 1.

To start, I have no idea what happened, but I came within an inch of dying on the first encounter.

:lol

But apart from that disaster, I'm really enjoying it. I have to agree that the start of the game does seem a little slow though - I'm hoping the battle system opens up some more soon.

Tek

I have a schedule full of meetings and conference calls to get me through work. Then its just getting from work until midnight that will be the problem. I'm going to play the hell out of Mass Effect 2 to pass the time.

AND, my wife just told me on my day off tomorrow that I took just for FF13 that the plumber will be by at 9am....how the hell if I'm supposed to stay up late if Mr. Plumber is coming by so early...

crap

Pancho

Qurupancho
VGChampion said:
It's Monday. How can you all have nothing to do! :lol

Rainy day so I totally skipped my lectures, and I start working at 3 so, hopefully time will pass a bit faster

timmy01

Neo Member
worst thing about amazon prime for me... I NEVER get my shit early for release date shipping.. worst part is they never send it out until monday (Blu-rays or games) and then do 1 day shipping to get it to me on Tuesday.

Tamanon

Banned
BTW, I hope there's no really annoying thing that you can do at the beginning of the game that screws you over later on, like searching a pot that would yield a Zodiac Spear if you just left it alone.:/

Pancho

Qurupancho
Tamanon said:
BTW, I hope there's no really annoying thing that you can do at the beginning of the game that screws you over later on, like searching a pot that would yield a Zodiac Spear if you just left it alone.:/

Well reading these threads, I've seen nothing of the sort as the shafting that is the Zodiac Spear in FFXII, most weapons are dropped or in chests so I don't think we need to worry about that.

Rektash

Ok, after all the hate the game got in before I must say, I played for an hour and I am enjoying it quite a bit. I love the new ATB and I was always a sucker for streamlined jrpgs. The combat is quite a lot faster than I expected it to be which is goooood. Datalog is great, I read every new entry as soon as they pop up.

<3 Lighting, but again I just love my tsundere :lol.

I am playing the 360 version and seriously I can understand people saying the PS3 version is the better one, nontheless even the 360 version looks and plays great.

Tamanon

Banned
BrettWeir said:
What's so different between the collector's guide and the standard? Just a pretty white hard cover?

Looks like the descriptions say it includes an additional 16 pages on story and it's a hardcover. That's about it.

Tamanon said:
Looks like the descriptions say it includes an additional 16 pages on story and it's a hardcover. That's about it.

It's also apparently set out differently, so as to avoid needless spoilers.

Tamanon

Banned
CruxisMana said:
It's also apparently set out differently, so as to avoid needless spoilers.

Eh, the regular edition says the same thing about avoiding spoilers. I've found it's really tough to get spoiled in the story from strategy guides these days, publishers have learned from the old days.

Tamanon said:
Eh, the regular edition says the same thing about avoiding spoilers.

:O

Amazon lied to me. The collectors edition is only like £1 more, so I thought why not.

It has exclusive artwork too.

Flib

commish said:
I might just have to go down there and pick it up then...

If any NYCers can call J&L or Videogames New York to confirm and let us know what they're saying, that would be swell. I'm on conference calls till around 3.

Spike6663

Nerdy request for - in Gaf though so it's ok!

I'm looking for real pictures of either/both of the official guides in the UK. I want one of them but I'm also one of those OCD freaks that wants the spines to match the previous ones. The paperback guide looks like it is the same format as the previous ones but it's black rather than white according to the stock pictures on Amazon etc.

The hardcover guide has a different format but it's in white judging by pics of the American one.

HELP UK GAF!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Is there any sort of respawn system in the more linear areas? Is it time based or do you need to "change rooms"?

Flib said:
If any NYCers can call J&L or Videogames New York to confirm and let us know what they're saying, that would be swell. I'm on conference calls till around 3.

Yeah, please. Can someone do this and post? I can't really get on the phone right now over here.

Right, I'm pretty sure that the characters in FFX and FFXII had proper hands, so why does this game have square hands in 2010 FFS?? The translation sucks, at times it's totally nonsensical... Sqenix really need to get their shit sorted out for the next FF :(

Jeels

PumpkinPie said:
Right, I'm pretty sure that the characters in FFX and FFXII had proper hands, so why does this game have square hands in 2010 FFS?? The translation sucks, at times it's totally nonsensical... Sqenix really need to get their shit sorted out for the next FF :(

It's not the translation, its the original Japanese writing.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
whatdidyousay said:
Yeah, please. Can someone do this and post? I can't really get on the phone right now over here.

ha, i am in the same position. wish i could call, but can't for the next few hrs

Can anyone who finished the game tell me if there is a lot of gameplay
on Pulse?
. I think I'm close to there, currently in
Chapter 10
and I would love it to be as detailed location-wise as
Cocoon

Pancho said:
Today's possibly the longest day ever xD.

No...tomorrow will be. I'll be at work, and FFXIII will arrive @ my house around 2pm. I'm going to be so ready to leave leading up to 5:30 :lol

Fuu said:
Is there any sort of respawn system in the more linear areas? Is it time based or do you need to "change rooms"?
A lot of the time you're progression doesn't allow you to backtrack to previous enemies (the environment changes, such as something falling down so your characters can't go back) but in the areas where enemies do respawn generally you just need to go to the next screen or far enough away from that spot before they return. Some places you can go up and down a lift and enemies from both screens have fully respawned, some good spots for raking in the CP early on. So it's proximity based

Flib

Well according to gamefaqs, the most reliable source of information on the internet (tm), victory games in brooklyn is unloading the boxes right now and are selling at 2pm.

whatdidyousay said:

Im on it, just called, they told me hopefully around 3pm they will receive it, that's the latest, ill call again around 3:30 pm

Edit:anybody have Initial D's number, I can never find it.

Flib said:
Well according to gamefaqs, the most reliable source of information on the internet (tm), victory games in brooklyn is unloading the boxes right now and are selling at 2pm.

Any news on J&L? Or that new video game store on 13th Street?

deathberry

Neo Member
For those who have finished: I have just entered
Gran Pulse
@ 31 hours into the game. How long before the end?

I was thinking of starting a second playthrough on the X360 once I'm done with the PS3 version, but it's starting to take it's toll. 31 hours over 5 days, including a weekend, is still....long.

Zoe

Jeels said:
It's not the translation, its the original Japanese writing.

While cheesy, the Japanese dialog uses conventions that are normal to Japanese stories. From the sounds of it, the localization is at fault.

deathberry said:
For those who have finished: I have just entered
Gran Pulse
@ 31 hours into the game. How long before the end?

If you try to follow the natural flow of missions till the end of the game (only doing about a third of them), expect to spend at least another 20 hours. I can't speak as to how difficult it would be to not do more missions though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom