• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
commish said:
Different strokes for different folks. Would I do it myself? No... but if it makes him happy, more power to him.
Fair enough. He has the right to do what he likes... but if it's actually a debate in his mind (and so far I think he's just "pleasure delaying" for a little while, which I understand.. it's fun to postpone the opening of the book in some sort of ritual), then I want to have the conversation about it:

You might be forgoing your pleasure (reading the book) for an end that will probably never come (very little cash return, and nerd cred is something intangible and unsatisfying even if nerds care about your sealed book for a game anyway).

But that's it. Of course it's not a big deal. And sure enough, maybe he'll cash in someday and I'm the fool. All I know is that when my LE comes, I'm opening it, reading it, and I'll still have in in many years but the difference is that my book will still be enjoyable, and won't be held hostage by some idea of "teh value". And I'll still probably be able to sell that bitch for something comparable to a sealed copy if I want.

ok I'm done. :lol

Durante

I think I mentioned this before, but it bears repeating: this game is astonishingly beautiful. (I just played the
Sunleth Waterscape
)

Meier said:
I have not minded the voice acting that much in the recent FF games personally but it would have been nice to have that option.
I agree. The VA in 13 isn't as good as 12 but still clearly better than most JRPG localizations -- but that's no reason not to include a dual audio option at least on the PS3 (it seems they had enough space issues on 360 as is).

ultron87

This is the first game in years that I've actively considered buying a strategy guide for.

I mean it's a FF game, it just feels appropriate...

And I'd really just use it for secrets and stuff. Are there even enough secrets/sidequests/whatever to justify a strategy guide? Or does the linearity dispense with that stuff to?

Zoe

deathberry said:
Ok, so I now have access to the Missions. I'm assuming this is chapter 10 which is just after
you get Hope's summon
. So Chapter 11 is the last one? Anyways, what should my stats be before moving on? Like average HP and level on Crystarium System for party. Speaking of which...
4000 fucking CP for each power @ lvl 4
?!

No, you're in 11 now. There's a total of 13.

As for stats, always aim for coming close to maxing out the default roles. If you follow the correct path and fight most enemies along the way, that's what it ends up at naturally.

Tamanon

Banned
ultron87 said:
This is the first game in years that I've actively considered buying a strategy guide for.

I mean it's a FF game, it just feels appropriate...

And I'd really just use it for secrets and stuff. Are there even enough secrets/sidequests/whatever to justify a strategy guide? Or does the linearity dispense with that stuff to?

Hopefully it's a better strategy guide for secrets than the Tales of Vesperia one was. That one was godawful and basically didn't tell you about any of the missable sidequests.

I'm just a habitual collector of strategy guides, right down to my Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy 3 and Revelations:persona guides.:lol

desu

ultron87 said:

To be honest, no.

There are some little secrets and only a few sidequests, which don't really require a guide. Guide probably just comes in handy for knowing some boss strategies, having maps with all mission locations and a overview of the materials and weapons to make upgrading easier.

However, the SE of the guide has some nice concept art, so that's something to look out for.

Meier

Oh and I'm sure this has been beaten to death (I stay out of import discussions and try and ignore most everything before a game I want to play comes out).. but come on, a feminine looking guy named Hope?! That's just cruel.. it's like they're just fucking with people or something. :lol

deathberry said:
Ok, so I now have access to the Missions. I'm assuming this is chapter 10 which is just after
you get Hope's summon
. So Chapter 11 is the last one? [/spoiler]?!

You are in
Chapter 11
. Refer to database in the menu, it tells you all the story up till this point, the latest entry is where you are in the story.

BocoDragon said:
So buying games is a moneymaking investment then? I've got better ways to make money off your $30 in 10 years.

Or for gods sake... just buy two then if you intend on keeping one for its value.

I'll bet the guide doesn't do much more than double or triple in value over the years anyway... 10 years of having a sealed guide on your shelf, strange looks from friends and significant others, all so you can make $100 in 2020 :lol

You need to relax.

Isn't there a double xp event in an FPS that you can go take part in?

Zoe

Castor Krieg said:
You are in
Chapter 11
. Refer to database in the menu, it tells you all the story up till this point, the latest entry is where you are in the story.

Save file also tells you.

CozMick

Banned
Can't wait to play this tomorrow.

Been passing the time with Battlefield but damn it there's still 13hrs to go :(

Suppose i'll go to bed early :lol

Vamphuntr

Himuro said:
I received a mini-strategy guide for reserving the game.

It's by some company called Piggyback Interactive.

So...FF guides aren't done by Brady Games anymore?

End of an era!

Piggyback did guide for some big games like RE 5 and AC2. Brady Games guides are often bad these days. Their ToV guide was full of mistakes and never forget the FF9 please log in to playonline one. It's not much of a loss.

A friend of mine gave me the RE 5 guide from them and it's really nice.

gkryhewy

I've been streaming bits and pieces of the soundtrack because of the praise... am I missing something? I just hear a generic RPG soundtrack, complete with cheesy guitar riffs straight out of Sega Rally.

Some nice ambient stuff, but lots of cheese.

K' Dash

desu said:
To be honest, no.

There are some little secrets and only a few sidequests, which don't really require a guide. Guide probably just comes in handy for knowing some boss strategies, having maps with all mission locations and a overview of the materials and weapons to make upgrading easier.

However, the SE of the guide has some nice concept art, so that's something to look out for.

And
Eidolon encounters, fucking Odin destroyed me like 15 times, same for the Sheva Sisters

Himuro said:
I received a mini-strategy guide for reserving the game.

It's by some company called Piggyback Interactive.

So...FF guides aren't done by Brady Games anymore?

End of an era!
I got the mini guide too, it's pretty cool I guess. The writing in it is so forced, which entertained me so I suppose it was worth checking out for that alone.

Some minor complains about plot progression but don't people think
the flow of Chapter 9 & 10 is messed up? previously they did a good balance between fights and adventuring, and cutscenes giving us more info about the characters. In Chapter 9 it all goes to hell - nothing but fights, all the damn time. Chapter 10 is even worse. There is are story moments, but they are rare and far between, in contrast to the previous 20 hours

K' Dash said:
And
Eidolon encounters, fucking Odin destroyed me like 15 times, same for the Sheva Sisters

Those fights are the best. :lol

desu

K' Dash said:
And

Hm strange, they had their points but I thought they weren't that hard.

Rpgmonkey

Amazon will be shipping it soon. Haven't had anything new to play in a while, so I'm somewhat excited to get home tomorrow.

Now to decide whether to get Pokemon or Resonance of Fate at half price thanks to the wonders of Amazon. :D

careksims

Holy shit. Just got the LE guide in the mail. Looks great. MUCH better than any of the previous FF guides. Well of course since it's not from Prima or brandy.

Durante said:
I think I mentioned this before, but it bears repeating: this game is astonishingly beautiful. (I just played the
Sunleth Waterscape
)

I agree. The VA in 13 isn't as good as 12 but still clearly better than most JRPG localizations -- but that's no reason not to include a dual audio option at least on the PS3 (it seems they had enough space issues on 360 as is).

Seriously, one of the most beautiful games this gen.

And the VA is pretty decent, seeing the level this gen offered on JRPG, 13 VA's shine among others in the genre.

And I have to say, I'm gradually getting more interesting in the world and plot.It's not that great, but it's nice have a JRPG with a so detailed background world and mythos.If they have to keep one element of 13 into the next games is this one.

So I played about four hours of the game and so far it's one of the worst and most boring RPGs I've played. I didn't like what I heard about the game pre-release. So I was pretty biased to begin with, but I still want(ed) to like it. But after four hours I don't have any goodwill left. I cannot understand how a battle system, that is so dynamic and flashy in its appearance can be so passive and little demanding for the player. It's just terribly boring. :(
The story doesn't do anything for me either. I kinda like most of the characters (even Vanille in a creepy way), but the drama and stuff doesn't involve me very much right now.

I'll play more of the game tomorrow. I hope I can view it from a different angle and see the better parts of it. But for now I kinda wish I would've invested my money in the butchered Yakuza 3 version instead...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
If you have doubts about Piggy Back guides, I would like to refer you to look at the amazon reviews for the UK Dragon Quest VIII Guide done by Piggy Back Guides. It was much better than Brady's.

K' Dash

desu said:
Hm strange, they had their points but I thought they weren't that hard.

I figured out with Sheva Sisters to cover just before one of them launched the combo and that greatly fills the gestalt bar, but figuring out the fucking paterns with Odin really killed me, besides he could almost kill/kill Lightning or Hope with a single combo attack

Anyway, it feels good when you defeat them, cause it's not jus muscle, you have to really think what you're doing...

Zoe

Vanille said:
Yeah, I don't really understand why people have so much trouble with them. o.o

If you try to
overthink it and concentrate on "the meaning" of the summon
, you'll like fail. Once I realized that
all you have to do is blast them away with magic
, they all became pretty simple.

slaughterking said:
But after four hours I don't have any goodwill left. I cannot understand how a battle system, that is so dynamic and flashy in its appearance can be so passive and little demanding for the player. It's just terribly boring. :(

Did you at least make it to the part where you get the different roles?

slaughterking said:
So I played about four hours of the game and so far it's one of the worst and most boring RPGs I've played. I didn't like what I heard about the game pre-release. So I was pretty biased to begin with, but I still want(ed) to like it. But after four hours I don't have any goodwill left. I cannot understand how a battle system, that is so dynamic and flashy in its appearance can be so passive and little demanding for the player. It's just terribly boring. :(
The story doesn't do anything for me either. I kinda like most of the characters (even Vanille in a creepy way), but the drama and stuff doesn't involve me very much right now.

I'll play more of the game tomorrow. I hope I can view it from a different angle and see the better parts of it. But for now I kinda wish I would've invested my money in the butchered Yakuza 3 version instead...

I'd be worried after reading this, but then you mentioned a Yakuza game...

desu

K' Dash said:
I figured out with Sheva Sisters to cover just before one of them launched the combo and that greatly fills the gestalt bar, but figuring out the fucking paterns with Odin really killed me, besides he could almost kill/kill Lightning or Hope with a single combo attack

Anyway, it feels good when you defeat them, cause it's not jus muscle, you have to really think what you're doing...

Did you leave out battles?

I thought he was rather easy. He IS fast and it can be quite annoying if he keeps on attacking one character. If you struggle I would recommend power smokes (or however the pre fight buff items are called in the english version).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Snookie said:
Not only will buy the LE guide but I plan on opening it and USING it! MUAHAHAHA
You should read it while eating greasy french fries or something... and tear out the maps for gran pulse so you can see them often... :lol

K' Dash

slaughterking said:

Play moar, the battle system really develops and becomes deeper, I felt just like you, now i just can't watch the screen, I'm constantly changing roles and making combos.

Zoe said:
Did you at least make it to the part where you get the different roles?
Yep, I already fiddled around with that, but I wasn't really forced to use it yet (except for the boss fight that effectively introduced that system). I may change the paradigm occasionally to heal myself or something, but it hasn't been a game changer or very relevant part of the battles so far.

I'd be worried after reading this, but then you mentioned a Yakuza game...
That should worry you even more. I'm not exactly the biggest Yakuza fan either and I'm much less a fan of cut games.

Durante

K' Dash said:

I needed 4 (!) tries for
Odin
, so you're not alone ;)
I ended up with a specific set of 3 paradigms and a strategy that allowed me to beat him without using any pre/battle items. That whole episode was what fully convinced me that the battle system is awesome.

chris-013

I was one of the haters... Now I have played and I don't care about the linearity of the game because I love the way the story is revealed, it's a lot like "Lost" and you understand why there is no town, no npc, ect... and the battle system is one of the best I ever played in a RPG.

I already think everyone know that but the game is beautiful but some levels have very low textures, fortunately caught by the artistic side.

Durante said:
I needed 4 (!) tries for
Odin
, so you're not alone ;)
I ended up with a specific set of 3 paradigms and a strategy that allowed me to beat him without using any pre/battle items. That whole episode was what fully convinced me that the battle system is awesome.

If you think the battle against
Odin
was difficult, wait to fight
Bahamut
. I think I needed 8-10 try against him. :lol

sam27368

Banned
Just doing some research on versus 13, so what's its current status? I heard it might not be at E3?
Is there a video of the jump festa 09 trailer? It sounds awesome, but info on it is hard to find!

MrDenny

My FFXIII CE guide arrived this morning.
Surprised it took only one day, using free shipping.
The guide looks nice, the logo on the cover is shiny :)

vexvegaz

finally!!!
cd8f161f-2.jpg

see you guys in 50-60 hours :D

K' Dash

desu said:
Did you leave out battles?

I thought he was rather easy. He IS fast and it can be quite annoying if he keeps on attacking one character. If you struggle I would recommend power smokes (or however the pre fight buff items are called in the english version).

No, I attack everything that moves, I like to get as many CP points as possible to fill my crystarium, and I already beat him, once I figured out
the patern, I'd attack him when he is covering with his shield with a ravager/ravager paradigm, and when he's attacking I'd use commando/medic

Rektash

Now 4 hours in here. Reaaaaallly like the game. So far, it is a classic teeny FF story like 8 and 10 but sure with its own twists. It has been ridiculously easy until now - I got 5 stars in EVERY single battle up to this point but I don t really care since the battlesystem is fast and plays fluent. I find the scenary much more appealing and imaginative than the last FF installments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom