• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
Himuro said:

it's not that bad. I mean the dungeon is even more boring than the ship, but there's tons of opportunities to just skip enemies. I got up to this one room with Circuitoids (sp) and farmed a bit for their shells but other than that I knew if I hadn't done that it would have taken 30 mins or less.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Himuro said:
I am on chapter 10 and saw a cutscene where
Cid talks about nothing and turns into a Super Saiyan

:lol

This is bad. Real bad.

How much longer until I'm on chapter 11?
That actually was really bad.

KajunW

I am having huge problems defeating the CH9 boss. Tried so many times, came close at one point, but never made it.

I can't seem to do enough damage against Barthandelus.

My setup:
- Characters: Lightning, Hope, Fang
- Paradigms: Diversity (RAV/MED/COM) - Solidarity (COM/MED/SEN) - Relentless Assault (RAV/RAV/COM) - Combat Clinic (MED/MED/SEN) - Evened Odds (MED/SYN/SAB)
- Accessories: bangles that offer extra HP because Lightning and Hope have few HP

Killing the four heads is reasonably easy. I start off with Evened Odds, buffing the whole party and slowing the Boss. Meanwhile, I use librascope. Then I switch between Relentless Assault and Diversity to kill off the four heads (first the ailettes, then the pauldrons).

Barthandelus is the real problem for me. I can stagger him once, but after getting staggered once, he uses Destrudo regularly, which kills me if I don't have my party debuffed *and* when I haven't used Sentinel on Fang. I have to spend several turns healing/buffing/sentineling so I never quite get to stagger him once again. Using this strategy, I can survive a long time, but then he casts doom, and I never seem to do enough damage to kill him in time. Summoning Odin only temporarily freezes the doom counter, and it isn't buying me enough time.

I am really frustrated now. These battles take so long, and having to restart over and over after 20 minutes or so is just kicking my ass. Should I just grind and upgrade my lvl1 weapons / HP+Magic+ abilities?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Are you going on all out assault against
Destrudo? You can reduce the damage by 6x if you just rav/rav/com him for a couple seconds. He'll animate and save you from dying on the ruinga he uses two seconds after. The boss fight is hella easy with Sazh in the party since he'll haste the fuck out of you

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
re: chap 9 boss

the trick is to go all out offensive on him as he is charging, which significantly weakens his attack if you hit him enough. he'll flash red if it works.

Amir0x

Banned
tips:

when he is
charging Destrudo, make sure you're healed up and rally against him as hard as you can... eventually he'll let out a grunt that makes the attack significantly weaker, rendering it easily recoverable.

You can also cast Odin to avoid it once.

Relaxed Muscle said:
No, sadly. :(

GOD! Even on Gran Pulse the best things are locked away and never available! Why would you show me such an awesome thing only to never be able to fight it! @&*@!

DLC maybe?

Rez said:
the trick is to go all out offensive on him as he is charging, which significantly weakens his attack if you hit him enough. he'll flash red if it works.

This is how I did it. If you keep attacking he'll shout "arggghhh" (or something like that) and it practically halfs the damage caused by Destructo.

I never had a problem though, even when he cast Doom. I just went all out with Com/Rav/Rav, with healing intervals, and he went down before the timer hit 1000.

Dra-Q

Banned
Thanks to God of War 3 I couldn't play FFXIII for two days :(
But Kratos got his revenge and back to the end of chapter 9.

Ace 8095

Not a question related to FF13, but this seems like the best place to ask. I've been playing Chrono Trigger over this past week and I'm really enjoying it. This is the first time I've gotten deep into a Square rpg and I'm wondering what to play next. I have access to pretty much all the popular rpg's since my roommate loves FF. What is the next game I should play?

Zoe

Amir0x said:
GOD! Even on Gran Pulse the best things are locked away and never available! Why would you show me such an awesome thing only to never be able to fight it! @&*@!

DLC maybe?

Not gonna happen,
he's on your side. You have to prove your strength to him.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
he won't even cast doom if you're attacking him during the charge, as he will stagger oh so much more often. the boss is a cake-walk after that, assuming you have a double medic paradigm on hand to heal super quickly.

KajunW

Y2Kev said:
Are you going on all out assault against
Destrudo? You can reduce the damage by 6x if you just rav/rav/com him for a couple seconds. He'll animate and save you from dying on the ruinga he uses two seconds after. The boss fight is hella easy with Sazh in the party since he'll haste the fuck out of you

I tried that. Apparently the damage is reduced heavily when attacking the head during preparation of Destrudo, but for some reason I always get killed. It seems like I can't survive without Fang using provoke/mediguard or steelguard.

I'm getting my ass kicked in chapter 11, I think I'm over my head. Is there a point where I should stop doing missions and continue with the story path?

KajunW

CruxisMana said:
This is how I did it. If you keep attacking he'll shout "arggghhh" (or something like that) and it practically halfs the damage caused by Destructo.

I never had a problem though, even when he cast Doom. I just went all out with Com/Rav/Rav, with healing intervals, and he went down before the timer hit 1000.

Did you upgrade your weapons or something? Honestly, I do terrible damage (maybe 400 per strike or so, when the boss in unstaggered.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
KajunW said:
Did you upgrade your weapons or something? Honestly, I do terrible damage (maybe 400 per strike or so, when the boss in unstaggered.
consider changing your party to vanille/snow/light

jiggle

lame that we can't fight
atomos and bismarck
in ch11, but got
crappy dahaku
instead
all these neat fal'cie wasted

Zoe

jiggle said:
lame that we can't fight
atomos and bismarck
in ch11, but got
crappy dahaku
instead
all these neat fal'cie wasted

What was so bad about
Dahaka
?

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
The difficulty in chapter 12 & 13 of FFXIII really ramps up. I should've taken the portal out at the beginning of chapter 13. I got a good ways into chapter 13 but now I'm just getting demolished. It's probably because I didn't spend any time in Gran Pulse. I just pushed on through with the story. Now I just feel burnt out.

Adent said:
The difficulty in chapter 12 & 13 of FFXIII really ramps up. I should've taken the portal out at the beginning of chapter 13. I got a good ways into chapter 13 but now I'm just getting demolished. It's probably because I didn't spend any time in Gran Pulse. I just pushed on through with the story. Now I just feel burnt out.

Just skip it.. the bosses are super easy in the chapters.

Just finished the game myself and have kind of a huh feeling. I mean, I didn't really like the end all that much...

Oh well, still love it as a game.

Pooya

Adent said:
I don't know about 13 but 12 is a walk in the park until the last boss, stagger then use Army of One, my party could kill the Behemoth King in less than 1 minute. all of the other enemies are a joke. the stupid boss though, Sabs don't work on this thing, and without those it's going to take ages to bring down it's massive HP.

wonkafest

Adent said:
I just used my deceptisols to get through chapter 13. Makes life way easier.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
DownLikeBCPowder said:
Just skip it.. the bosses are super easy in the chapters.

Just finished the game myself and have kind of a huh feeling. I mean, I didn't really like the end all that much...

Oh well, still love it as a game.

Skip the enemies in chapter 13? Wish I could.

Diablos

Post-chapter 9 babble:
Dysley
was easier than I thought -- just VERY time consuming. Lightning COM/Hope MED/and then alternating SYN/COM for Sazh made for an easy but long battle.

These metallic robot things in the
Pulse ruins
are a pain in the ass.

Gameplay question: I can eventually make, say,
Sazh or Fang a medic if I wanted, right?

Amir0x

Banned
yes you can make every character proficient at every class eventually. Only after you beat the game will the final Crystarium level unlock, though, which is very unfortunate.

Rpgmonkey

Himuro said:
I like how most of the fights in this are just time consuming and not actually strategic.

Trial and error is fun! :D

Diabolos said:
Gameplay question: I can eventually make, say,
Sazh or Fang a medic if I wanted, right?

You can.

Sazh is actually pretty good at too provided you put hundreds of thousands of CP into it. :lol

Each character only becomes decent at like one of the extra roles however (for example, Vanille gets slightly better versions of spells like Bravery and Protect). The others are complete CP sinks with pretty much no benefit whatsoever.

Kagari said:
You can transfer the saves. They just have to make a new profile on their friend's PS3 and sign in using their own PSN account.

If my friend has been playing and saving on someone elses account, it doesnt matter as long as you create a new account on that same ps3? And theres an option for transfering through USB?

Pooya

Diablos said:
These metallic robot things in the
Pulse ruins
are a pain in the ass.
In the tunnels? those are perfect for CP grinding, best location in whole game. it's so easy to do preemptive strike those, then use quake and every body is staggered, the COM/RAV/COM with light/fang/hope, everybody is dead in less than 20secs, result is ~5000 cp, there is side tunnel in that area that leads to a chest guarded by an enemy you can't beat, just go there and back and enemies respawn, ~10K super easy CP in 1 minute, I did this for 2 hours and maxed all the primary roles.

Diablos

Hmm.

That's interesting.

I'm finding that it's difficult to rely on, say, Lightning for healing opposed to letting Hope do it since automation is faster. So having a party of Lightning/Sazh/Fang is a lot more difficult, which sucks because that's the party I wanted to go with primarily.

miladesn said:
In the tunnels? those are perfect for CP grinding, best location in whole game. it's so easy to do preemptive strike those, then use quake and every body is staggered, the COM/RAV/COM with light/fang/hope, everybody is dead in less than 20secs, result is ~5000 cp, there is side tunnel in that area that leads to a chest guarded by an enemy you can't beat, just go there and back and enemies respawn, ~10K super easy CP in 1 minute, I did this for 2 hours and maxed all the primary roles.
Nice tip, thanks. Will try the role combo but I don't wanna make the game too easy, heh.

Blablurn said:
as everyone already said. the beginning is soo sloooow.
I think the pacing is perfect. Well, the first hour or two isn't that great, but afterwards it's fine. Really though, even the first couple hours aren't unbearable or anything (other than spamming attack, but hey).

My only complaint about being forced to use characters until a certain point is that, eh, I'd say during Chapter 8-9 they could have allowed you to swap party members in and out. They dragged that out for a bit too long. Prior to that I didn't really have any problems with it. Because of the way that the story is, it really didn't matter much until then anyway.

I'm deep into chapter 7 and the overall story has been stuck in the same gear since the start of the game. I feel like things are dragged out too long and I'm getting tired of the two man battles. Three is low enough, imo. Is the end rushed, because at the pace the story is going now...

Still entertained enough to see it to the end though.

Blablurn

Diablos said:
H

I think the pacing is perfect. Well, the first hour or two isn't that great, but afterwards it's fine.

it sucks that only have a few attacks in the beginning. i'm already tired of them :lol and the camera sucks. but the game looks beautiful.

Diablos

Blablurn said:
it sucks that only have a few attacks in the beginning. i'm already tired of them :lol and the camera sucks. but the game looks beautiful.
Yeah, it does suck how limited it is when the game first starts. But really, the first couple hours of any FF is pretty lackluster (in terms of gameplay) if you think about it. They assume you are a complete idiot and new to the series.

Diablos said:
Dark Octave: I really am enjoying it... can't say I've found a FF story as good since the PSX days.
They are focusing on the characters over the main plot, so I guess it's not so bad. Hopefully we will know exactly who each character is by the end of the game due to this.

Chris R

Oh I forgot to ask this before, but now it is really bugging me. Is there any way to adjust the audio delay for the game (or on my PS3). The audio is coming probably 100ms too early, and it makes every cutscene look like an old Godzilla movie :( :( :(

KZObsessed

ok Im finally powerful enough and have got a decent routine/strategy where I can take down Adamantoises wihtout the boring/frusrating death spam bs.

Only draw back is that I need to summon everytime, but I don't see how it would be possible without.

Because Pulse is so awesome I'm only just into Chapter 11 storywise but have maxed out all my characters' 3 main Role 'cause I was running around fighting battles and looking at the pretty. Should I just stockpile CP from here for when the Crystarium opens up or is it safe to pop some points into the other roles. I'm on the sixth floor of
Taejin's Tower
with 230k+ CP on each character.

Zoe

Diablos said:
I'm finding that it's difficult to rely on, say, Lightning for healing opposed to letting Hope do it since automation is faster. So having a party of Lightning/Sazh/Fang is a lot more difficult, which sucks because that's the party I wanted to go with primarily.

Lightning is a crappy healer compared to Hope anyway. I always have Hope as my leader so I can control healing manually.

zewone

miladesn said:
Not the best in the whole game at all, but good at the moment for you. I'm getting 13,200 for a 6 second fight at the moment.

Zoe

Die Squirrel Die said:
Because Pulse is so awesome I'm only just into Chapter 11 storywise but have maxed out all my characters' 3 main Role 'cause I was running around fighting battles and looking at the pretty. Should I just stockpile CP from here for when the Crystarium opens up or is it safe to pop some points into the other roles. I'm on the sixth floor of
Taejin's Tower
with 230k+ CP on each character.

I'd say just save it. You're probably about 75% done.

MechaX

KZObsessed said:
ok Im finally powerful enough and have got a decent routine/strategy where I can take down Adamantoises wihtout the boring/frusrating death spam bs.

Only draw back is that I need to summon everytime, but I don't see how it would be possible without.

It's possible provided that you use Fang, have her ultimate weapon to a moderate level, have the Genji Gloves, have her a pretty good Synergist so she can cast -Ra buffs, have some one as a Sentinel, another as a healer, and have at least 15k+ HP for each person.

With all of those in consideration, things should go well enough by buffing in the beginning (having one person being a sentinel to lessen the damage to all members), using RAV/RAV/RAV to break the legs, Fang's Highwind to one-shot the legs, debuffing the hell out of the head when it falls (Imperil, Slow, and Deprotect are key).

If you don't use Fang... Well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom