• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
So.. I'm just playing in Chap 11 after done w/ game but..

I'm trying to do the missions and whatnot, but.. I REALLY have to just wander around to find the crystals to first get the mission, then run all the way somewhere else to find the mark (which I can't focus my compass on, and hate that it alwys points to the same "story" point)? Then run all the way across the land again to find another crystal to do another one?? There's no FAST way to do this? Ugh.

EDIT And how can I go about them in ordeR? Seemed like earlier when I did the first few, they kind of ended next to the next crystal, but now that I'm just coming back, I have no idea where to start or how to go abiot finding those earlier ones. They don't appear to be marked.

Peff

DownLikeBCPowder said:
So.. I'm just playing in Chap 11 after done w/ game but..

I'm trying to do the missions and whatnot, but.. I REALLY have to just wander around to find the crystals to first get the mission, then run all the way somewhere else to find the mark (which I can't focus my compass on, and hate that it alwys points to the same "story" point)? Then run all the way across the land again to find another crystal to do another one?? There's no FAST way to do this? Ugh.

Well, you could always ride a Chocobo but yeah. To help with that use the map, since the unfinished missions glow bright (whether you have seen them or not!), and the mark target is also on the map.

KZObsessed

I have Fang, but I've just started taking her down the Synergist Role. I guess I could switch to that method when I do. For now, I'll take down an Adamantoise, then go to the Behemoth King/Methwhatever to grind, get my TP back. Rinse & repeat.

Need moar Trapezohedrons.

Amir0x said:
Crystarium has finally grown into something half-way decent in Chap 10. With all roles opened up, there's a lot of viable choices and a little more options about the way you advance. If they just added more different types of stat boosts and options, I think I'd actually even like it a little.

If you actually grind out the millions of CP needed to max all roles, I think it becomes a lot like traveling over the whole Sphere Grid in FFX or filling every space of the original License Board in FFXII. You can do everything with everyone. In X some characters were still a lot faster than others and you always ended up with Tidus, Rikku, and Wakka if you were doing the Dark Aeons or something because they got to act a lot more, but XII and XIII dispenses with that entirely and everyone is pretty much exactly the same.

jiggle

Die Squirrel Die said:
Because Pulse is so awesome I'm only just into Chapter 11 storywise but have maxed out all my characters' 3 main Role 'cause I was running around fighting battles and looking at the pretty. Should I just stockpile CP from here for when the Crystarium opens up or is it safe to pop some points into the other roles. I'm on the sixth floor of
Taejin's Tower
with 230k+ CP on each character.

u should definitely save the points
u need like 999k CP to cap the next stage
and u're getting that unlock REAL soon

Unknown Soldier said:
but XII and XIII dispenses with that entirely and everyone is pretty much exactly the same.

there's still a big difference in hp/str/mag right?
i'm looking at stage9 of those side jobs and the stat points from them look like they were from stage 3 or something

Ricker

Damn,can`t beat mission 4 already,guess i`ll try others and come back later...do the missions gradually get harder or could misson 15 be easier then mission 4 let`s say?....in mission 4,those damn penguin looking thing and then all of a sudden that giant sabertooth type lion/tiger beast joins in the fight(Odera something).

Peff said:
Well, you could always ride a Chocobo but yeah. To help with that use the map, since the unfinished missions glow bright (whether you have seen them or not!), and the mark target is also on the map.

Yeah but ugh.. really? All this running. I really actually hate this zone VERY much because everything looks exactly the same and I get instantaneously disoriented (which is unusual). I really hate it.

How do I find chocobos and can I call them to me anytime? Or what? Will it just hang out while I fight or whatnot?

Chris R

rhfb said:
Oh I forgot to ask this before, but now it is really bugging me. Is there any way to adjust the audio delay for the game (or on my PS3). The audio is coming probably 100ms too early, and it makes every cutscene look like an old Godzilla movie :( :( :(
Anyone?

I've only played it on my PC monitor that only has headset as an audio option after it comes over via HDMI, so I don't know what the exact delay value is. Might have to play on my HDTV to see if the audio is properly synched up there :| (should have just added an option to sync it on my own ala RB/GH :< )

jiggle

DownLikeBCPowder said:
How do I find chocobos and can I call them to me anytime? Or what? Will it just hang out while I fight or whatnot?

u get chocobo after mission 14
and u can unlock teleport c'ieths that ports u around the maps on mission 7(?)

Diablos

rhfb said:
Anyone?

I've only played it on my PC monitor that only has headset as an audio option after it comes over via HDMI, so I don't know what the exact delay value is. Might have to play on my HDTV to see if the audio is properly synched up there :| (should have just added an option to sync it on my own ala RB/GH :< )
I dunno. I use HDMI strictly for video, and bypass my LCD for audio, running the AV multi cable directly to my receiver instead. Seems to take care of lag... and it sounds better too.

jiggle

DownLikeBCPowder said:
I saw a message about it, but I have no idea where these teleport ones are.

look at your map
all the orange cieths are teleport ones
you can find them in other zones also
they are unlocked in certain order though

DownLikeBCPowder said:
I saw a message about it, but I have no idea where these teleport ones are.

Dunno, essentially I hate the map.

The teleport Cie'th Stones appear as yellow symbols on your map, whereas non-teleport stones are a blue version of the same symbol.

Mandoric

Banned
jiggle said:
i'm looking at stage9 of those side jobs and the stat points from them look like they were from stage 3 or something

Yeah. There's also differences in abilities, in general characters only have a talent for one of their three non-main role.
Sometimes they're even not that great at their main roles. Poor Light and her lack of healing spells.
The big boost from the side jobs is being able to max out A and J on everyone for that tasty +50% to base attack and +12% to debuffs including Death.

Ace 8095 said:
Not a question related to FF13, but this seems like the best place to ask. I've been playing Chrono Trigger over this past week and I'm really enjoying it. This is the first time I've gotten deep into a Square rpg and I'm wondering what to play next. I have access to pretty much all the popular rpg's since my roommate loves FF. What is the next game I should play?

What are you looking forward for an rpg? Story? Gameplay?

jiggle said:

Yes, but you already have a bunch of these things just doing the 3 base jobs, not as much as some others but you don't need as much to catch up. I've just maxed out the Stage 8 Crystarium and Fang has like 900 STR but she's also got like 500 MAG, don't need to get a ton more to catch her MAG up. She doesn't have 0 MAG or anything like that...

Magnus

I swear, I'm pausing to just look around at this vast, open, teeming plain, I'm spinning the camera around slowly, I'm watching Light's hair dance every so slightly in the breeze, I'm watching her face, her scarf, the other characters jogging around to catch up to her, the breeze rippling the nearby pond....and I'm just fucking stunned. I was playing Mega Man 10 just before loading this up...and I'm just shocked how far we've come. Chapter 11 is real beautiful to look at.

And Lightning is gorgeous.

Magnus said:
I swear, I'm pausing to just look around at this vast, open, teeming plain, I'm spinning the camera around slowly, I'm watching Light's hair dance every so slightly in the breeze, I'm watching her face, her scarf, the other characters jogging around to catch up to her, the breeze rippling the nearby pond....and I'm just fucking stunned. I was playing Mega Man 10 just before loading this up...and I'm just shocked how far we've come. Chapter 11 is real beautiful to look at.

And Lightning is gorgeous.

damn man. im away visiting my parents, far far away from my PS3... i just cant wait to get back to FFXIII and finally reach that magical chapter 11! goddamnit. you made the longing much worse! thanks a lot!

btw i think about that a lot too, how far we've come, AND i often use Mega Man 2 as an example heh (a game i remember very vividly playing when it was new). sometimes it pisses me off that so many gamers cant appreciate how much videogames have evolved.. it has taken so much hard work from so many people to get to where we are now, and still people whine about the smallest things...

Rpgmonkey

Himuro said:
In FF13 it's a chore.

I was agreeing with you. :)

Dark Octave said:
I'm deep into chapter 7 and the overall story has been stuck in the same gear since the start of the game. I feel like things are dragged out too long and I'm getting tired of the two man battles. Three is low enough, imo. Is the end rushed, because at the pace the story is going now...

Still entertained enough to see it to the end though.

I felt that it picks up significantly in Chapter 9, but then it goes back into low gear until Chapter 12.

Unknown Soldier said:
If you actually grind out the millions of CP needed to max all roles, I think it becomes a lot like traveling over the whole Sphere Grid in FFX or filling every space of the original License Board in FFXII. You can do everything with everyone. In X some characters were still a lot faster than others and you always ended up with Tidus, Rikku, and Wakka if you were doing the Dark Aeons or something because they got to act a lot more, but XII and XIII dispenses with that entirely and everyone is pretty much exactly the same.

I haven't maxed out all of the roles yet, but it seems more like X's style to me.

You can make everyone the "same", but it takes forever, and some still end up being much more viable in certain ways than others. No one ever quite reaches equal footing with Hope as a Medic, and there's no real reason to use Vanille as a Commando over Fang, for example. Don't even get me started on Hope as a Sentinel, lol.

There are some interesting cases though, like Vanille getting better defense/attack buffs than Sazh (no Haste though ;_;), and Mandoric gave a good reason to max out the roles to give a nice boost to those that can make the most use out of them.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ballistictiger said:
I don't like Sazh stats. Why the hell is it so even and low? If only he had Hope's magic stats.
mm, I can't think of a scenario where I'd ever want to actually use him in my battle team

anddo0

Rez said:
mm, I can't think of a scenario where I'd ever want to actually use him in my battle team

His haste makes battles go by a hell of a lot faster. Once Hope learns haste, Sazh will be kicked to the curb. :lol

Chapter 11, just got to
Oerba
. Holy frikkin hell, this game's already had some stunning enviroments but this one's instantly shot to the top of my favourites list. Jaw dropping stuff.

grumble

Rez said:

I use him in my battle team. I just like the character, and I'd use Sentinel sometimes instead of defensive buffs with Hope, going for the really powerful offensive buffs instead.

What's the best battle team? Hope, Vanille, Fang? I'm using Light, Sazh, Fang, and it's fun but somehow I think I could do better.

Mandoric

Banned
Ballistictiger said:
I don't like Sazh stats. Why the hell is it so even and low? If only he had Hope's magic stats.

The game values HP too much in terms of balance. Both Sazh and Snow get screwed on base stats, Sazh moreso, in exchange for their higher max HPs.

Dresden

grumble said:
I use him in my battle team. I just like the character, and I'd use Sentinel sometimes instead of defensive buffs with Hope, going for the really powerful offensive buffs instead.

What's the best battle team? Hope, Vanille, Fang? I'm using Light, Sazh, Fang, and it's fun but somehow I think I could do better.
Fang, Vanille and Hope is really good, imo. My team. But I know that a lot of people use Light, Vanille and Hope.

It's pretty much just Vanille, Hope, and someone who can work as a commando tacked on.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is Lightning always a power-house? She has consistently had top tier strength and magic throughout the game.

Magnus

Woah, stupid question time:

Will the results from Libra persist from one battle to the next? Like, say I libra an enemy, and it's susceptible to Fire, and so my AI characters/autobattle begin selectively using fire-techniques to take advantage. If I encounter the enemy again in the game at any time, will AI/auto-battle automatically use Fire techniques?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Toki767 said:
I'm not sure if this has been posted, but here's an interview with Ali Hillis, the voice of Lightning courtesy of Final Fantasy Union. Pretty cool interview. Apparently she didn't know she was voicing the "main" protagonist. :lol

http://www.podcastsunion.com/ffu/FF_Union_Lightning_Interview.mp3

She's not kidding about her facebook. Her wall, and the girl that played Vanille's are pretty much visible to anyone. Both seem to be asking for people to ask questions.

Square just seems to try to keep everything a secret from their VA team, don't they?

What do I have to do to get mission 55 accessible?
The growth egg quest. Doing some post-end game stuff.

Magnus said:
Woah, stupid question time:

Will the results from Libra persist from one battle to the next? Like, say I libra an enemy, and it's susceptible to Fire, and so my AI characters/autobattle begin selectively using fire-techniques to take advantage. If I encounter the enemy again in the game at any time, will AI/auto-battle automatically use Fire techniques?

Yes, all data collected on an enemy remains after the battle. You don't have to Libra either, kill enough of an enemy type and it fills itself in gradually. If you are fighting regular enemies it's probably better to let it do that and save the TP for boss battles, where it's imperative that you know its strengths and weaknesses up front.

If you want to check enemy data, it's all in the datalog. Any enemies that you've completely scanned will have a tick next to them.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Fang, Lightning, Hope is the best set-up...once you teach Ravenger class to Fang...and use Tri-Disaster the stagger bar moves so quick sometimes I forget to switch to "Aggression" or "Relentless"...:lol

anddo0

grumble said:

Light,Sazh,Fang has been my squad for most of chapter 11... I keep Sazh in my party because of his haste and overall buffs.. Fang is a jack of all trades.. Light hasn't missed a single battle for me.. Ultimately I want my party to be Light,Fang,Hope... I'm just waiting for haste to open up for Hope. I guess that won't happen until chapter 12.

leng jai

Rez said:

Been using Lightning/Fang/Hope the whole time, but I'm thinking of switching out Hope for Venille since shes got more HP.

Rez said:
Is Lightning always a power-house? She has consistently had top tier strength and magic throughout the game.

"Protagonists" usually have the best default stats in RPGs, or are at least made to be easier to use than the other characters; even Vaan.

F#A#Oo said:
Fang, Lightning, Hope is the best set-up...once you teach Ravenger class to Fang...and use Tri-Disaster the stagger bar moves so quick sometimes I forget to switch to "Aggression" or "Relentless"...:lol

Oh so thats how you get Tri-Disaster. I always used Relentless Assault. I dont know why the guide never suggested using Relentless Assault more often, as long as everyone is attacking and has Haste then the bar, even though it goes down fast, will still hit the stagger point.

Kagari said:
Go to Save Data, hit triangle and it should give you an option to transfer to a storage device.

And I found this rather amusing:
Kagari you're in San Diego? Re.... They sold him a Wii and $500 worth of junk.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Dedication Through Light said:
Oh so thats how you get Tri-Disaster. I always used Relentless Assault. I dont know why the guide never suggested using Relentless Assault more often, as long as everyone is attacking and has Haste then the bar, even though it goes down fast, will still hit the stagger point.

Tri-disaster is practically necessary on some enemies late in the game. Until they stagger, you do almost no damage, and tri-disaster gets them to stagger quickly.

Diablos

I will have to listen to that interview.

I can't believe the FFXIII VA's are basically getting no love. Not even credited in the manual while Leona Lewis gets an entire page. I think that's pretty shitty.

anddo0

F#A#Oo said:

I gave Fang more CP in saboteur first (takes Vanille out of the picture).. It's worked out well so far.. Once I grind a bit more I'll focus on her Rav, she's really well rounded.. Poor Snow, he's useless to me. Other than some random comments on
Gran Pulse
I forgot he was in the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the lack of RAV for Fang early on means that she's not part of my team.

I usually use Lightn/Snow/Vanille but I have a feeling the lack of SYN may come back and bite me.

edgefusion said:
Yay I maxed out every crystarium for every job role on all the characters, thus unlocking the trophy "This is why you're single".
:lol :lol Maybe I better calm down before that trophy makes that statement true of me as well.

I'm already getting sighs when the sound of the PS360 boots up.

Magnus

Thanks guys. There's no way to tell the game to skip the animation of each character paradigm shifting each time you do the first shift for a battle, right?

F#A#Oo

Banned
anddo0 said:
I gave Fang more CP in saboteur first (takes Vanille out of the picture).. It's worked out well so far.. Once I grind a bit more I'll focus on here Rev, she's really well rounded.. Poor Snow, he's useless to me. Other than some random comments on
Gran Pulse
I forgot he was in the game.

Tbh I didn't actually use the Fang, Light and Hope combo till end-game.

I pretty much used Light, Vanille and Hope through the latter chapters as Sab+Syn combo was so brutally successful for me I could 5* most things...except in ch.12 where it really just became a war of attrition with most enemies...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom