• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duki

Banned
Himuro said:
I am laughing out loud at this cutscene on Pulse where Hope is crying.

Oh my God, this game.. :lol

Who wrote this again? I know it wasn't Nojima. Was it Toriyama?

come back in 5 minutes when you get your 34234432423th WE'VE GOTTA KEEP GOING, YEAH WOO! optimism speech

then you'll really be laughing

Shadow780

BocoDragon said:
It was Nojima I think.

I know I'm Vanille defense force but I think that scene is XIII's answer to X's HA HA HA HA laughing scene.

It's Watanabe, Nojima for the overall concept, it's in the opening CG.

Styles

Nose Master said:
Fuck! There was a chest in chapter 12 that is gone forever! Triggered the cutscene and
turtle jerk fell through the floor with the chest!

Nothing special. Both of the chest have the exact same component in them. :lol

Magnus

So i just reached a pack of trash mobs in Twilit Cavern that I can't kill. Over 10 tries. They can focus on and kill my leader in under 3 seconds even with a SEN up. I don't undertand. I'm not gonna go grind to get strong enough to beat ordinary enemies. Fuck this game :lol

diddlyD

Banned
jvalioli said:
Wow the end of this game is way too long. Jesus Christ I just want the game to end now.

haha, i'm trying to finish chapter 11, i figured i'd just leave the open mission area, fight a boss or maybe 2, and be done with it, but man it goes on for a long time. i think i'm finally at chapter 12 now though
just beat the old man falcie again

Magnus said:
So i just reached a pack of trash mobs in Twilit Cavern that I can't kill. Over 10 tries. They can focus on and kill my leader in under 3 seconds even with a SEN up. I don't undertand. I'm not gonna go grind to get strong enough to beat ordinary enemies. Fuck this game :lol

there is a lot of that in chapter 11. the difficulty is not linear at all. i got very annoyed at a couple parts, and eventually i just had to grind out my characters to power through it.

MechaX

Okay, finally done with the post game and essentially done with this entire game (Yeah, I could try 5-staring everything or getting every ultimate weapon, but fuck that noise: I don't want to see another Adamantoise ever again). It kinda left a bad taste in my mouth, because at a certain point of smooth sailing with the missions, you hit a brick wall at full speed. At this wall, Square essentially tells you, "GRIND THESE TURTLES FOR 10 HOURS" in order to have a ghost of a chance against the other missions. I don't know what Square was thinking when they decided to have one enemy be the only halfway decent source of income (and getting the ultimate weapons), and then have the enemy only drop said source occasionally.

And even once you've committed more turtle murder than the Mario Bros, the final optional fights aren't even that great. Most often than not, it's just suped up palette swipes with increasingly bullshit attacks (hey guys,
let's have the player fight MORE Adamantoises, only this time, we'll replace every single one with a 16 million HP version! and it casts an attack that does double your max HP at the start of the round!
). Mission 62 was the only one that felt like a fun challenge and made good use of not only Paradigm switching, but also creating good roles and making your away around AOE attacks. Instead, the final enemy is just a thing that you debuff to high hell like almost every single boss here.

Yeah... pretty crappy post game, especially for an FF game. Oh well, time to gear up for some Megami Tensei goodness on Tuesday.

Magnus

I don't see myself grinding through one of the worst battle systems to grace this series just to overcome some trash robots in a cavern. I can't believe I'm about to shelve a main series FF.

Vorg

Banned
Are you guys really enjoying this? I'm only on chapter 4 and I'm ready to quit. The repetition is really testing my good will toward this series' usual quality. That and the fact that I know it will be the same for another 20 or so hours.

I'm a fan, but so far I'm baffled by the fact that this game bears the Final Fantasy name at all. And it's a numbered entry, ffs. Where is all the Final Fantasy stuff o_o? Isn't it odd that I've been playing FFIV for the first time and enjoying the experience a lot more?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Himuro said:
I am laughing out loud at this cutscene on Pulse where Hope is crying.

Oh my God, this game.. :lol

Who wrote this again? I know it wasn't Nojima. Was it Toriyama?

Toriyama and Watanabe.

Shadow780 said:
It's Watanabe, Nojima for the overall concept, it's in the opening CG.

Fire him. Some of the dialogue is just...honestly the worst in the series. The flow is so-so, and the story's plot twists are...cliche and bad. There were a few good spots, but eh.

But the CONCEPT to the game is fantastic, and that would make sense if Nojima was in charge of that. Now if he could just do the whole script next time...

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
MechaX said:
Okay, finally done with the post game and essentially done with this entire game (Yeah, I could try 5-staring everything or getting every ultimate weapon, but fuck that noise: I don't want to see another Adamantoise ever again). It kinda left a bad taste in my mouth, because at a certain point of smooth sailing with the missions, you hit a brick wall at full speed. At this wall, Square essentially tells you, "GRIND THESE TURTLES FOR 10 HOURS" in order to have a ghost of a chance against the other missions. I don't know what Square was thinking when they decided to have one enemy be the only halfway decent source of income (and getting the ultimate weapons), and then have the enemy only drop said source occasionally.

And even once you've committed more turtle murder than the Mario Bros, the final optional fights aren't even that great. Most often than not, it's just suped up palette swipes with increasingly bullshit attacks (hey guys,
let's have the player fight MORE Adamantoises, only this time, we'll replace every single one with a 16 million HP version! and it casts an attack that does double your max HP at the start of the round!
). Mission 62 was the only one that felt like a fun challenge and made good use of not only Paradigm switching, but also creating good roles and making your away around AOE attacks. Instead, the final enemy is just a thing that you debuff to high hell like almost every single boss here.

Yeah... pretty crappy post game, especially for an FF game. Oh well, time to gear up for some Megami Tensei goodness on Tuesday.

...you complain about grinding... yet you end your post with wanting to play Megami Tensei?

Rpgmonkey

MechaX said:
Yeah... That was yet another oversight that I'm surprised Square of all people made.

"Alright, time to fight this boss..."
"Wait, you're going to switch in Vanille? Wait a damn minute, I didn't even level her up yet!"
*Looks at Paradigm menu and pretty much all of them have been absolutely screwed up*
*Hits the Retry Button before even fighting the boss*

I love how it never even gives you a prompt to equip/level/paradigm adjust or anything. It just eviscerates your party line up and throws you right into a boss battle.

That's one of the main reasons why I didn't like the Eidolon fights at all. They all pulled this crap on me.

BocoDragon said:
Am I the only one who would place XIII above X?

That's not a defense of XIII, btw... that's my hate-on for X shining through :lol

If several parts of XIII's design were less restrictive, each chapter (particularly 1-10) had a unique design and format to them, and the first ten chapters had more to do, I'd easily place it above X.

Zeliard

Rpgmonkey said:
If several parts of XIII were less restrictive, each chapter (particularly 1-10) had a unique design to them, and the first ten chapters had more to do, I'd easily place it above X.

So, if it was an entirely different game, then. I think most of us wish the same.

Shadow780

FateBreaker said:
Fire him. Some of the dialogue is just...honestly the worst in the series. The flow is so-so, and the story's plot twists are...cliche and bad. There were a few good spots, but eh.

But the CONCEPT to the game is fantastic, and that would make sense if Nojima was in charge of that. Now if he could just do the whole script next time...

well...Nojima's writing:

060508_3.jpg

but mind you, it's also got this and this

MechaX

FTWer said:
...you complain about grinding... yet you end your post with wanting to play Megami Tensei?

You know, I'll give you that Megami Tensei has some grinding (well, Persona 2 does. Persona 3 doesn't, 4 didn't, Nocturne did at times even though demon set-ups were pretty important, DDS1-2 didn't unless you were going for their optional bosses, Raidou 1 and 2 certainly didn't and didn't need it, SMT I can be easily broken by Sleep bullets, SMT 2 actually did at some parts, never played If, the first Devil Summoner, or Souls Hackers, and Devil Survivor required about an hour's grind on the last day of the hardest route... am I missing anything?).

Of course, you missed the problem being a combination of grinding off of this one enemy for everything that is important, in which that "important" thing that is the key to your growth is dropped when the game feels like it, then yes. I do complain about FFXIII's post-game grinding and look forward to a Megami Tensei game.

Himuro said:
Shin Megami Tensei games don't require grinding.

Unlike Final Fantasy games, they require skill. And with skill, you don't need to grind.

Anyways, on the subject of grinding, I can't be the only who finds the damage control retard FF fans to be lol, especially with the grinding. Remember, we're talking about the same fanbase that chastises Dragon Quest games for being "too grindy" (hint: they're not, in the least) but FF13 is probably more grindy than any DQ since DQ2.

How 'bout them apples?

Oh no, but it's okay if FF does it.

Final Fantasy XIII doesn't require any grinding at all, though. It just requires skill and intelligent use of your paradigms. At the point I'm at (Chapter 11), every boss I've been defeated by I've been able to win just by trying over a couple of times and being more intelligent about how I go about the battle.

XIII SO doesn't require grinding unless you're talking about endgame (post last boss) stuff.

A fairly easy and straightforward game - just use your paradigms.

Quick question, Gran pulse, do you discover new missions by progressing through the main story line guide, I cant find anymore missions, I beat around ten of them.

Zoe

Himuro said:

For me, whether the grinding is bearable or not is dependent upon the battle system. DQ just gets old to me while X, XII, and XIII all had some way to mix things up.

I tried playing FFII a couple of weeks ago and, my god, that was painful even in just the first few hours.

dreamer3kx said:
Quick question, Gran pulse, do you discover new missions by progressing through the main story line guide, I cant find anymore missions, I beat around ten of them.

Did you go back to home base?

Alex

Not much necessary grinding in the game, not for the main story at least, makes sense for the hunts to take a little more oomph though. (past a certain point, the initial set is arguably easier than the damned standard monsters)

Himuro said:

Unlike Final Fantasy games, they require skill. And with skill, you don't need to grind.

Anyways, on the subject of grinding, I can't be the only who finds the damage control retard FF fans to be lol, especially with the grinding. Remember, we're talking about the same fanbase that chastises Dragon Quest games for being "too grindy" (hint: they're not, in the least) but FF13 is probably more grindy than any DQ since DQ2.

How 'bout them apples?

To be fair, you can easily finish the game without any grinding whatsoever. I didn't even bother to upgrade any of my weapons until after the credits rolled. FF13 only becomes "grindy" if you're the type that has to complete absolutely every sidequest in the postgame - which, admittedly, I am. Overall, though, I've enjoyed the hell out of the game, even if it didn't dethrone DQ8 as my all-time favorite RPG.

jvalioli

I'm fighting the last boss and I haven't stopped to grind at all nor have I gone out of my way to do those mission things. Game requires no grinding and is really not that hard.

Zoe

dreamer3kx said:
Yes I finished those up, two or three there, correct? Should I continue with the story, Im just trying to do as many missions as I can for now but Im not sure.

There were 6 in that area and then 9 more in the big field. Starting with 14 though
you'll have to go into an area that was previously blocked off

Starting with 18 will take you along the story path.

Magnus

After an entire hour on this one random group of enemies, I change one strategy, and end up 5-starring it. I fucking hate and love this game right now. :lol

Zoe said:
There were 6 in that area and then 9 more in the big field. Starting with 14 though
you'll have to go into an area that was previously blocked off

Starting with 18 will take you along the story path.

Ok thanks, I thought I searched everywhere, guess not.

Dresden

I never died too much on the bosses, most of my deaths came from getting overwhelmed in regular battles because I sometimes got too lazy to drag things out and heal. It gets tedious after a while.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Jamesfrom818 said:
I'm just about done with the story portion of Chapter 11 and I just don't understand how this game took so long to make.
Yup... the whole thing was spent on art assets.

grumble

jvalioli said:
I'm fighting the last boss and I haven't stopped to grind at all nor have I gone out of my way to do those mission things. Game requires no grinding and is really not that hard.

I don't know about that. I've played all FF IV,V,VI,VII,VIII,IX,X,XII and I've died more times playing FFXIII than I have in all the other FFs put together. I guess that it's only relatively hard, but it's not a 'joke' of a game.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Himuro said:

:lol

How 'bout them apples?

Funny you should mention that, since the game requires ZERO grinding for the story portion of the game. Every enemy & boss can be beaten with pure strategy & absolutely NO grinding!

Only the side missions require grinding as they should.
Who the hell wants the last side mission be something you can beat without effort.

jvalioli

Well I just had doom cast on me for the the first time. Had my heart racing cause I didn't want to have to do this stupid fight all over again.:lol

Oli said:
I finally beat
Raines, what a pain. I'm guessing he's only the start of problems in Chapter 10?
Once you figured out the pattern he was pretty easy. I agree, when he started healing himself for 10k I was getting pretty annoyed and pissed. :lol

I have a question about weapons for Lightning. Right now I am using her as mostly a Commando then switching to Ravager to get the stagger bar up. What weapon would you recommend I use? I am using a LVL 11 Gladius, should I switch and/or what is the max level on it?

george_us

So
Hecatoncheir
is impossible. I've tried every goddamn strategy I can find and he still rapes the shit out of me. I guess this is a good place to shelve the game if I have to grind to beat him.

MechaX

FTWer said:
Funny you should mention that, since the game requires ZERO grinding for the story portion of the game. Every enemy & boss can be beaten with pure strategy & absolutely NO grinding!

Only the side missions require grinding as they should.
Who the hell wants the last side mission be something you can beat without effort.

As I said in my post (in which, you glossed over the other half of my argument being the combination of grinding with a complete mess of an economy in the game and decided to traipse straight into a Megami Tensei trolling attempt), the post-game is crappy because it represents a rather dire catch-22: You need to get materials to become more powerful. The only enemy that drops both a way to get a decent amount of gil and the means needed to get the ultimate weapons is this one enemy. This one enemy also happens to be vastly more powerful than the missions before hand to the point where the damage dealt jumps from 3,000 to 13,000. You have no sensible way to get stronger but to fight this enemy, so you have to use various work-arounds (Summon method, death method, etc). The ultimate weapons also cost 1.5-2 million gil and you're going to need at least three of them (and three of the Traphezohedron that the Adamantoise rarely drops), but the items dropped by the Adamantoise that you can sell only drops 30% of the time. The only other method of making gil involves farming two groups of enemies that drop one item a piece worth 15k. The item that the Adamantoise drops is 150k.

This isn't simply a problem of grinding, but an issue of poor balance and design (especially when you realize that the Adamantoise is harder than 3/4ths of the final set of missions anyway). The hoops you have to jump through here are vastly different than the little grinding you even have to do in Megami Tensei games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom