• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Those kinds of weapons have one of the best kinds of synthesized abilities. I think the stagger lock is meant more to balance that than the stats.

Hauteclaire, Durandal, Lionheart, Ultima Weapon, Rigels, Polaris Specials, Procyons, Betelgeuse Customs, Unsetting Sun, Midnight Sun, Alicanto, Caladrius, Heavenly Axis, Abraxas, Taming Pole, Venus Gospel

Survivalist Catalog, Hunter’s Friend, Speed Sash, Energy Sash, Champion’s Badge

2 – 3 items = Random: Instant Chain. 4 – 5 items = Gestalt/TP Boost

“Random: Instant Chain” is a great enhancement that occasionally fills up a target’s Chain Gauge instantly – and it is cheap, requiring just two items. It has a very low probability of success but, as there is a chance of it working with every attack and long battles can bear witness to dozens of individual command queues, the effect is likely to take place more often than you might think. When it does, it can end conflict in a flash. Naturally, you should grant this to a party member operating predominately in the Commando or Ravager Roles.

“Gestalt/TP Boost” makes it easier to charge the TP and Gestalt gauges in battle..

linsivvi

Nose Master said:
You get it from the chained turtles. Speaking of!: How often does death work on them? I feel like it'd be easier to just kill them normally, which I haven't really tried. Summoning, then working up the stagger meter to 99%, then letting it despawn and pounding on it with the full team seems like it might work.

I didn't even realize Genji Glove was the only way to break the 99k damage cap... :lol

Death works about once out of every two fights. Just go sab x 3 and cast summon to break its legs, then let the rest of the party cast whatever sticks. Those debuffs seem to increase the success rate of death. If it doesn't die before it gets up, retry and do it again. I did this until my party was able to kill it in one go and without summon.

Pooya

just finished chapter 12. the voice acting is getting way too cheesy. the
"fal'cie no match for NORA"
part was very bad.

miladesn said:
just finished chapter 12. the voice acting is getting way too cheesy. the
"fal'cie no match for NORA"
part was very bad.

Wow, NORA is my favorite group of people, lol. They should have been given a bigger role throughout the whole game, I think.

KZObsessed

Vect said:
But I've found it very easy to defeat those Adamantortoises now; summon Bahamut while Fang's debuff the shit out of the thing.

heh, that's my method. Works every time. Still can't get anymore blasted Trapezohedrons tho :lol

Whoever designed this can go straight to hell.

Unknown Soldier said:
Sounds like you need to get yourself a chocobo.

I do. But I'm not sure where the damn mission is and I'm slowly finding them. I hate, I mean hate, getting a mission only to have to run across the whole fucking field to finish it, then doing that again for basically no reward. The enemies on the field are not challenging at ALL aside from the gigantic turtle. What's the point of that? I can't level off these guys, so they're a waste of time to fight, etc. Where's the endgame area that's worth a damn? Or is it just the missions?

edit: I have one pair of sprint shoes, how do I come to manufacture another exactly? What's the base item?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
DownLikeBCPowder said:
I do. But I'm not sure where the damn mission is and I'm slowly finding them. I hate, I mean hate, getting a mission only to have to run across the whole fucking field to finish it, then doing that again for basically no reward. The enemies on the field are not challenging at ALL aside from the gigantic turtle. What's the point of that? I can't level off these guys, so they're a waste of time to fight, etc. Where's the endgame area that's worth a damn? Or is it just the missions?

I admit, it got annoying for me as well until I found the Chocobos. You have to complete Mission 14 to gain access to them. Prerequisite = Missions 12 and 13. Once I got access to Chocobos the missions became more enjoyable.

Endgame is pretty much nothing but the missions and more Crystarium to fill out as I understand it. Someone please correct me if I'm misinforming.

RurouniZel said:
I admit, it got annoying for me as well until I found the Chocobos. You have to complete Mission 14 to gain access to them. Prerequisite = Missions 12 and 13. Once I got access to Chocobos the missions became more enjoyable.

Endgame is pretty much nothing but the missions and more Crystarium to fill out as I understand it. Someone please correct me if I'm misinforming.

I am trying to do the missions in order, but I'll complete say, 12, and have no fucking clue where 13 is and instead find 17, 54 and other shit nearby.

So, is there any way after chapter 11 to go back to gran Pulse and do the Missions? I just started Chapter 12 and it seems much like the game ends soon

Toski

Can someone answer why there are AoE spells in this game? My guys bunch together to get hit by runinga spells and I can't tell them to split up. Fucking irritating brah.

I'm at the beginning of chapter 11 and so far items are useless as shit, you only really need Phoenix Downs. Game's alright so far, but I think X will remain my favorite.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Tryckser said:
So, is there any way after chapter 11 to go back to gran Pulse and do the Missions? I just started Chapter 12 and it seems much like the game ends soon

Yes, you will be told very specifically when you can possibly return in a cutscene.

MechaX

marathonfool said:
I only have missions 51, 54, 63, and 64 left. I didn't do any grinding and I'm still using level 1 weapons. Maybe the last couple missions are next to impossible to complete without grinding(due to lack of HP), but I wouldn't say this game is unbalanced or has poor design.

Once I outfit my party with the right accessories, shrouds, or make use of well-timed summons, I can adapt to just about any enemy.

My highest HP character is Snow with around 17K [edit].

That pretty much falls in line with my reference when you realize that the main grinding tool is significantly more powerful than most of the line of missions you have to complete (in the 52-64 range, at least 2/3rds of those enemies are either pretty weak for end-game standards or are enemies you've fought before in the last chapter). If order and rank placement means anything, then that would mean that the post-game balance is out of whack.

But one piece of info to keep in mind: if you do plan on grinding, don't accept Mission 63 just yet unless you really, really want to end up screwing yourself over.

Unknown Soldier said:
I've been reading FFXIII: Episode Zero - Promise. It's a series of web novels Squenix posted to their Japanese site before and after the Japanese release of the game. There's a great deal of additional background information in the prequel you don't even get if you read all the stuff in the Datalog about the story and the world. The bonus is that the quality of writing in Episode Zero is about a million times better than the quality of writing in the game. Why Squenix didn't have the guy who wrote Episode Zero also write all the dialogue in the game is beyond my mortal comphrension.

WARNING: DO NOT READ EPISODE ZERO UNTIL YOU ARE AT LEAST AT CHAPTER 11 IN THE GAME! HUGE MOTHERFUCKING SPOILERS ABOUT SHIT! DON'T ACT LIKE I DIDN'T WARN YOU!

Ah... So this is another Lost Odyssey 1000 Year Dream kind of situation where the writing in the "novel" piece makes the game's writing look really, really bad?

Spirit3

After 25 initial hours of "man this game has pretty graphics" to "why have I played this for 10 hours and feel like I haven't progressed or done anything productive" to "Okay, yeah, things are starting to happen now" and finally, I hit Chapter 11, emerge from the path and "MIND BLOWN".

Zoe

MechaX said:
Ah... So this is another Lost Odyssey 1000 Year Dream kind of situation where the writing in the "novel" piece makes the game's writing look really, really bad?

Eh... I thought the writing was pretty amateur.

RpgN

Vect said:
Nothing special. Both of the chest have the exact same component in them. :lol

I don't know about that. I replayed that scene, one got me 6 raw materials of a specific item and the other one got me a chocobo feather or something that sells for some cash on the store. Maybe the items are random?

I would pay money for Square-Enix to patch in the traditional Final Fantasy Fanfare after battles. I love the music afterward, but the metallic notes will never come close to touching the traditional fanfare.

linsivvi

MechaX said:
But one piece of info to keep in mind: if you do plan on grinding, don't accept Mission 63 just yet unless you really, really want to end up screwing yourself over.

I think it's for completing 56-62, but I got screwed anyway since the guide I read said they spawn after 51, which is wrong. In the end it doesn't matter though, chapter 12 has a better place to farm.

K' Dash

Himuro said:
How the fuck does summoning work anyways? It doesn't seem to do much damage.

You've been trolling the whole fucking thread and you still don't know how to play the game :lol keep on the good job (y)

on topic:

I'm on chapter 13 and I think I'm about to finish this fucker, the thing is, I've got about 950k poits of CP for each character with the 3 main roles maxed out, should I start filling out some extra roles or should I wait till stage 10 opens after
the final battle?

biggersmaller said:
Raise of hands:

How many people have beaten this game, and how many did it in under 30 hours?

62 hours and haven't finished it...

Zoe

K' Dash said:
I'm on chapter 13 and I think I'm about to finish this fucker, the thing is, I've got about 950k poits of CP for each character with the 3 main roles maxed out, should I start filling out some extra roles or should I wait till stage 10 opens after
the final battle?

Wait if you plan to keep playing.

Durante

2010-03-21_16-25-23yxlq.jpg

Heh.

lljride

I really wish I would've realized how awesome of a grind spot Mission 24 was earlier. CP is probably a little less than the behemoth method (12000 per run, ~30-40 seconds to spawn, beat and respawn), but you also get a moonblossom seed each time that sells for 6000 gil each.

I don't know how often you guys are getting the adamantoise to drop platinum ingots (especially if you're using the summon/death method), but I'd be lucky to get 2 or 3 in a hour. At least for me Mission 24 is a lot better since it's quick and consistent. Of course you have to fight the adamantoise enough times to get the trap, but once you do 24 seems a lot better for duping.

about those hunt missions.. can you always go back and beat them as many times as you want? you know, to 5-star them.

or do you only have one chance..? how does it work?

MechaX

KZObsessed said:
Why is this???

linsivvi is probably correct on the actual criteria, but completing 56-62 (actually, I think some people on other forums had it occur earlier while they were doing some of those missions, but just go with the 56-62 criteria for now) will replace every Adamantoise in Gran Pulse with an upgraded version called Long Gui. Long Gui can cast Ultima (40k damage), his roar and Quake will insta-kill or do close to it even with 20k HP party members, he has absurd defense, and it has a whopping 16 million HP, officially being the most powerful enemy in the entire game even when including Mission 64's boss. EDIT: Oh yeah, he also casts doom if you take too long to kill it.

You really do not want to attempt to grind of those, especially if you have anything less than maxed out roles for each class, ultimate weapons, and really good accessories. After that point, I think the only normal one left is in Chapter 12. Or at least I think it stays normal. If that one changes too, well...

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
astroturfing said:
about those hunt missions.. can you always go back and beat them as many times as you want? you know, to 5-star them.

you can redo as many times as you desire

Zoe

astroturfing said:

Multiple times. In fact, there's a set that you'll be doing over... and over... and over...

ElFly

Chapter 13 super important question:

How do I reach that floating statue/robot/thingy, with red flames around, in the room with the two elevators on each side?

linsivvi

MechaX said:
You really do not want to attempt to grind of those, especially if you have anything less than maxed out roles for each class, ultimate weapons, and really good accessories. After that point, I think the only normal one left is in Chapter 12. Or at least I think it stays normal. If that one changes too, well...

Thankfully the one at chapter 12 remains the 5M version. Actually there's also an odd one roaming around the north side of the field, and you can get the 3M one from mission 63. Of course, all of this are bad compare to having a whole field of normal ones. I had to keep doing save/load to respawn them.

Best not to do any 50+ missions except the one that give you growth egg.

ezekial45

Banned
astroturfing said:

Just go back to the statue that had the mission to repeat it.

Amir0x

Banned
Man Gran Pulse sure is swell. It's so expansive and really invites me to explore everything BUT

now that I need the map, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THE MAP!? Why does it keep flipping based on where my guy is facing!? Dumbest map ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom