• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElFly

Amir0x said:
Man Gran Pulse sure is swell. It's so expansive and really invites me to explore everything BUT

now that I need the map, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THE MAP!? Why does it keep flipping based on where my guy is facing!? Dumbest map ever!

Oh god, yes, it's the most confusing thing.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Amir0x said:
Man Gran Pulse sure is swell. It's so expansive and really invites me to explore everything BUT

now that I need the map, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THE MAP!? Why does it keep flipping based on where my guy is facing!? Dumbest map ever!

wait a sec, youve been shitting on it and everyone that likes it for DAYS and you played till gran pulse, what the hell is wrong with you! :lol

KZObsessed

MechaX said:
linsivvi is probably correct on the actual criteria, but completing 56-62 (actually, I think some people on other forums had it occur earlier while they were doing some of those missions, but just go with the 56-62 criteria for now) will replace every Adamantoise in Gran Pulse with an upgraded version called Long Gui. Long Gui can cast Ultima (40k damage), his roar and Quake will insta-kill or do close to it even with 20k HP party members, he has absurd defense, and it has a whopping 16 million HP, officially being the most powerful enemy in the entire game even when including Mission 64's boss. EDIT: Oh yeah, he also casts doom if you take too long to kill it.

You really do not want to attempt to grind of those, especially if you have anything less than maxed out roles for each class, ultimate weapons, and really good accessories. After that point, I think the only normal one left is in Chapter 12. Or at least I think it stays normal. If that one changes too, well...

Phew! Scared me then as I've done mission 63. Luckily I skipped 62 to get my ultimate weapons so I guess that saved me. :p

Those things sound insane... are they the hardest enemy/boss in the game then?

4 more Adamantoises down, 0 drops.... ;_;

K' Dash

can anyone explain me WHY, WHY, WHY when I'm about to kill
Orphan
he just casts DEATH on me and ACTUALLY KILLS ME???

Is there something I'm missing? I'm there kicking his ass, and he just casts DEATH and the end of the fight and THAT'S IT ?

FUCK THIS SHIT!!!!

20 MINUTES each FUCKING encounter, I don't have time for this....

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>_<!

K' Dash said:
Orphan

Is there something I'm missing? I'm there kicking his ass, and he just casts DEATH and the end of the fight and THAT'S IT ?

FUCK THIS SHIT!!!!

>_<!

This caused me a whole night of retries and headaches.

The best thing you can do, if you're frustrated, is turn it off and try again later. Ultimately, it's down to luck. You can equip anti-death accessories to reduce the odds of it happening, but in the end... you just have to hope he targets someone else.

This single thing, though, ruined the end of the game for me. If they do an International version, they'd better allow for leader swapping in battle.

linsivvi

Tiduz said:
wait a sec, youve been shitting on it and everyone that likes it for DAYS and you played till gran pulse, what the hell is wrong with you! :lol

Because Gran Pulse is the only good part of the game? The only part where you are not watching some shitty cutscene every few fights and you get to free roam? I thought that's pretty much the consensus of people who are not blindly in love with the game.

It's just too bad that 50% of the post game has been reduced to turtle hunting instead of more interesting fights.

dk_

2ag6x3t.png

Is it worth it to kill these bastards?

Fuck, my PS3 just died and I'm only 20 hours in. I want to know what happens next :lol

Anyway, I have a question for the people who finished the game (or at least have finished the 9th chapter). I don't want all the story to be spoiled but I'd like to know if I'm right about Vanille.

At first she is pretty annoying with her tiny scream and weird move, but I was wondering if that has something to do with the l'Cie status. From what I've understand, she's been a l'Cie for a pretty long time now, and she will soon turn into a Cie'th. I'm not sure, but I think I've read that being depressed makes the process of becoming a Cie'th faster (I think it was something that Fang said, but I'm not so sure). So, does she act overly positive like that to try and cheer herself and the other people and slowdown the process? Or is she just crazy?

7Th

K' Dash said:
Orphan

FUCK THIS SHIT!!!!

>_<!

Use Vanille as leader and poison him.
That will warrant you a 5-star victory.

K' Dash

Android18a said:
This caused me a whole night of retries and headaches.

The best thing you can do, if you're frustrated, is turn it off and try again later. Ultimately, it's down to luck. You can equip anti-death accessories to reduce the odds of it happening, but in the end... you just have to hope he targets someone else.

This single thing, though, ruined the end of the game for me. If they do an International version, they'd better allow for leader swapping in battle.

I.... I......................... I................................... just can't believe this shit, this is something I would've expected on SNES RPG's, cheapness at it's best, but at this time and age, this is just bullshit.

I'll try a couple of time later... laaaaater, right now I'm RAGE.

7Th said:
Use Vanille as leader and poison him.
That will warrant you a 5-star victory.

I'll do this, fuck the retries.

Dra-Q

Banned
K' Dash said:
Orphan

FUCK THIS SHIT!!!!

>_<!

Every boss in this game is cheap. Don't forget, they have 20 times more health than you AND have instant death moves... oh Square...

Diablos54

Amir0x said:

That's the only thing I hate about Pulse, everytime you rotate the fucking map moves with you!

After doing about half of the missions, I think it's about time I moved on from chapter 11. I've been messing about in Pulse for like 10 hours!

Amir0x said:

Yeah it's almost like they went out of their way to make the map more annoying than useful.

K' Dash

Dra-Q said:
Every boss in this game is cheap. Don't forget, they have 20 times more health than you AND have instant death moves... oh Square...

The thing is I haven't had a single problem with the main story bosses, killed most of them on my first try, maybe that's wy this is so frustrating for me.

Amir0x

Banned
Scythesurge said:
Yeah it's almost like they went out of their way to make the map more annoying than useful.

Every time I keep going back on my tracks because the map is all taunting me with its lack of logical design!

It's especially irritating since Gran Pulse is 99% tracking down marks which you have to look at the map to find if you want to even try to do it in a timely fashion :lol

Patch this Squeenix I bet it's easy

Is it just me or is the area in Chapter 10 basically a cut and paste HD version of the Lhusu mines from XII? I'm expecting bats to start attacking me any minute :/

Shapingo

Chapter 11 intro
For some reason it bothers me that the giant ass red creature at the beginning of chapter 11 that can pick up and eat adamantoise is never explained. What is he? A Fal Cie? If he is that big, what keeps him from reaching up and grabbing Cocoon.

Cheerilee

I put off saying anything until now, because my emotions were conflicted, and "If you haven't got anything nice to say..." and all that jazz, but, I figure I'll toss my throwaway impression into the pool.

I went into FFXIII oblivious to the hype. I've been too busy with work to pay attention to any of it. I preordered the PS3 version, and my initial impression was that it was amazing. But then I played it for about ten hours over the course of a weekend, and slowly came to the opinion that it was the worst Final Fantasy game I had ever seen, wrapped in the best Final Fantasy graphics I had ever seen.

I was so disgusted with this game that I returned it to the store for a full refund (thanks for the free rental, EB/Gamestop). I never return or sell my games. I've only returned one game in 20 years, and I immediately regretted it. Congrats FFXIII! You're number two! But I won't regret you like I regretted number one, because I fully expect to buy you again off the clearance rack in a few months, because I'm an idiot like that.

My PS3 has become useless again, and I'm playing Tales of Vesperia to cheer myself up.

Amir0x

Banned
Shapingo said:
Chapter 11 intro
For some reason it bothers me that the giant ass red creature at the beginning of chapter 11 that can pick up and eat adamantoise is never explained. What is he? A Fal Cie? If he is that big, what keeps him from reaching up and grabbing Cocoon.

he is explained according to this thread

MechaX said:
linsivvi is probably correct on the actual criteria, but completing 56-62 (actually, I think some people on other forums had it occur earlier while they were doing some of those missions, but just go with the 56-62 criteria for now) will replace every Adamantoise in Gran Pulse with an upgraded version called Long Gui. Long Gui can cast Ultima (40k damage), his roar and Quake will insta-kill or do close to it even with 20k HP party members, he has absurd defense, and it has a whopping 16 million HP, officially being the most powerful enemy in the entire game even when including Mission 64's boss. EDIT: Oh yeah, he also casts doom if you take too long to kill it.

You really do not want to attempt to grind of those, especially if you have anything less than maxed out roles for each class, ultimate weapons, and really good accessories. After that point, I think the only normal one left is in Chapter 12. Or at least I think it stays normal. If that one changes too, well...

No other missions affect things, do they? I've been doing
Titan's
missions and haven't had much trouble.

Shapingo said:
Chapter 11 intro
You'll get to know him better eventually.

Pooya

DigitalDevil said:
Is it just me or is the area in Chapter 10 basically a cut and paste HD version of the Lhusu mines from XII? I'm expecting bats to start attacking me any minute :/
chapter 10 was awful, the whole area is copy/paste, somehow it reminded me of Halo:CE.

ezekial45

Banned
How many lvls does each weapon have? I'm trying to max out the gladius (lvl 7 now) and it doesn't look like it'll max out soon. I just want to morph into whatever it changes into.

Shapingo said:
Chapter 11 intro

He get's explained if you do enough marks to meet him. He's a fal'Cie responsible for all life on Pulse. He loves natural selection.

george_us

Tiduz said:
Well you do have a lot of people that say Gran Pulse is amazing, so it's no surprise people want to play until they at least get to that point.

ezekial45 said:
How many lvls does each weapon have? I'm trying to max out the gladius (lvl 7 now) and it doesn't look like it'll max out soon. I just want to morph into whatever it changes into.

I think gladius is 26. Most weapons are in the 21-26 range when they get maxed out.

MechaX

KZObsessed said:
Those things sound insane... are they the hardest enemy/boss in the game then?

I would say they are the strongest by a far margin. The second strongest goes to the smaller ones that also get upgraded versions (the upgraded little ones have 10 mil HP and cast the same spells, only they're a little bit more prone to Ultima spamming). I was on my way to completing Mission 63 when I ran into what I thought was a normal version. Starting off with that Ultima really surprised me.

It actually made Mission 64 look quite lame in comparison.

cosmicblizzard said:
No other missions affect things, do they? I've been doing
Titan's
missions and haven't had much trouble.

You can do all of the trial missions without any repercussions, so you'll be fine with those.

RockmanWhore said:
Fuck, my PS3 just died and I'm only 20 hours in. I want to know what happens next :lol

Anyway, I have a question for the people who finished the game (or at least have finished the 9th chapter). I don't want all the story to be spoiled but I'd like to know if I'm right about Vanille.

At first she is pretty annoying with her tiny scream and weird move, but I was wondering if that has something to do with the l'Cie status. From what I've understand, she's been a l'Cie for a pretty long time now, and she will soon turn into a Cie'th. I'm not sure, but I think I've read that being depressed makes the process of becoming a Cie'th faster (I think it was something that Fang said, but I'm not so sure). So, does she act overly positive like that to try and cheer herself and the other people and slowdown the process? Or is she just crazy?

Well the explanation is that you would turn into a Cie'th faster if you experience tremendous emotional shock. I believe that the process of her getting her Eidolon essentially explains her feelings. Good lukc on getting to play the story more

cosmicblizzard said:
I think gladius is 26. Most weapons are in the 21-26 range when they get maxed out.

Wow, I didnt know this, I have it on 11 and thought I was a few from maxing it out, Im not sure if Im going to do this now.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yeah you shouldn't do all the ci'eth stone circle missions until you're getting ready to plat the game or something. Before then, the only one worth doing really is the one where you get a genji glove. Mostly because doing so and having those guis pop up in place of the regular adamantoises kills the best way to farm gil. Guis don't drop platinum ingots, and farming the one outside
Eden Hall
is a lot less efficient than killing the 4 on the steppe, then forcing a repop by abandoning/retaking one of the ci'eth stone circle missions.

burgerdog

I have maxed out all 3 starting jobs for all characters and fighting Adamantoise/Adamantortoise is still an epic battle. Battles that last over 10 minutes and sometimes end in death. I don't know what else I could be doing better. I put 4 debuffs on it when it's knocked down and I only manage to do like 30% of its health before it gets back up.

Giolon

cosmicblizzard said:

Tier 1 Weapons are 21-26, Tier 2 Weapons go to 41-61, Tier 3...if you really must know
. Yeah, get those Ultracompact Fusion reactors and 3x multipliers ready.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Midway Chapter 12.

can i still go back to gran pulse?

BluWacky

dk_ said:
2ag6x3t.png

They give good CP rewards (the ones with flowers give you something like 7,500 CP if you manage to kill one of them). The bog-standard ones are very easy and yield up about 4,000 CP.

Finished the game last night - final boss wasn't much of a problem,
I had two anti-death accessories on Lightning anyway, but used Fang as a Sentinel most of the way through just to draw enemy fire and no-one got insta-deathed anyway.
. Just stopped having got the Growth Egg as I think that's enough for one weekend...

Amir0x said:

It would be nice if the map when you hit square always remained oriented with north up, or at least had a fucking arrow indicating which way was north. I guess in this world nobody has any cardinal directions, they just go whatever way they please. :lol

CheapChampagne

Neo Member
Quick question:
What kind of party are you guys using?

I figured before I could actually change my party I would use - Sent, Com, Med so Snow, Light, Van. But right when I could change I decided to try Sazh, Van, Light. This party RAPES. Yea they have terrible defense but I found that a medic with haste on is good enough to keep the party up. I'm in chapter 11 now just running around doing quests and I havent had any trouble at all so far with the exception of enemies that 1 shot me (behemoth kings using sunder and big stompy dudes). Lightning with haste and an elemental buff + Vanille debuffing is just amazingly powerful. And I figure battles would be going a lot slower with a Sent and without haste. Thoughts?

Dead

well not really...yet
Thrakier said:
Chapter 10:

Bahamut is kicking my ass. Any tips?
alternate between medic/sentinel/medic and ravager/sentinel/commando

IIRC thats how I took him down

eXistor

Amir0x said:
FFXIIIExplore.jpg

sweet, sweet openness...
God I know what you mean. I've been seriously thinking of quitting the game, but I knew I was getting close to Gran Pulse, so I trudged on, forcing myself not to give in to the sheer boredom that are chapters 1-10. I finally made it to chapter 11 and dear God do I feel relieved. I seriously felt like I was stuck in a dank tunnel for hours on end and finally made it out of there alive. Now I have renewed strenght to finish it...maybe.

Gran Pulse is fantastic.

I got there this morning, ran out onto the open plains...

...and was swooped down on by a giant bird and wiped in one hit.

Thrakier said:
Tried that, but he's too hard...I don't want to grind. :(

You shouldn't have too.

As said, use Sent/Med/Med to survive his immediate flourish of attacks until you're all back in the green, then switch to Sent/Com/Rav to deal some damage, switching back to the initial Paradigm when your sentinal's health gets too low.

You practically can't lose if you use a sentinal for the whole battle.

Jrmint

dk_ said:
2ag6x3t.png

The basic ones that first show up give 5000 xp per kill and go down pretty fast with COM/RAV/RAV setup. Just spam Flamestrike with Lightning and cast Libra so your other RAV knows to use Fire attacks.

Magnus

Thrakier said:
Chapter 10:

Bahamut is kicking my ass. Any tips?

I followed some advice in this thread, and spanked him handily.

Combinations of only MED and SAB, and it's fucking over. It's so silly how easy it becomes. Slow actually builds his gestalt gauge quickly, and you're done.

I think I'm going to start calling FFXIII the "Trapped in the Closet" of gaming. There's just so much drama and you feel trapped until chapter 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom