• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
35 hours in.

Muddled around a bit in Chapter 11.

I'm done with it.

The extremely high production values and gorgeous settings and cut scenes aren't enough incentive for me to continue playing through.

Best of luck lads, I'm popping my chute.

Rpgmonkey

Gonna take a serious attempt at the Gigantuar now.

Was always kinda goofing off to try this and that out, but I'll just go for it. I'd like to go head on, no Quick Stagger involved. If I'm going to do these fights I'd rather take as many as I can with no easy "tricks".

Amir0x said:
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x55/Amir0x/FFXIIIExplore.jpg[IMG]

sweet, sweet openness...[/QUOTE]

In a way, I was kinda disappointed once I explored most of it. The only area that felt expansive and with all kinds of stuff to do and find was the Steppe.

Still better than 1-10 though.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
bigdaddygamebot said:
35 hours in.

Muddled around a bit in Chapter 11.

I'm done with it.

The extremely high production values and gorgeous settings and cut scenes aren't enough incentive for me to continue playing through.

Best of luck lads, I'm popping my chute.

I am at 5 and barely want to keep playing. Even SO4 attracted me more. TOV had me playing two hours a day, same as LO. But this? It's a piece of shit to be quite honest. Ugh.

Nose Master

biggersmaller said:
Raise of hands:

How many people have beaten this game, and how many did it in under 30 hours?

Beat it around 60 hours last night. But, I did about 60% of the stone missions. I spent like 25 hours in Chapter 11.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ah man FINALLY finished it. Took about 42 hours.
Pretty depressing ending as far as I'm concerned :(

But DAMN the final boss was such a pushover. I had way tougher regular encounters getting to it than the actual boss.

Maybe it's because the second form didn't cast the Death spell on me that i've read some people complain about, or maybe it did and it didn't connect ? but still, such an easy fight. Only took one stagger to take out the final form.

Is there any website or database where I can chronologically see all the Japanese trailers ? Appreciated.

jaundicejuice said:
Why does Serah look like a hooker?

Maybe because her character design was ripped off of a Bible Black (hentai thingie) character .. Thank god she doesn't have much screen time though.

I'm only on Chapter 5 and, uhh, if I didn't like the battle system as much as I do I think I would stop playing Final Fantasy XIII at this point. The actual linear structure of the world doesn't bother me as it seems to bother others, I just don't care about the lack of illusion of freedom or side activities up to this point. The battle system is fast and fun and has all of the right hooks I need. The general idea of the scenario is kind of cool, I just think it's hampered by some really terrible story telling and completely horrible character designs. I don't mind Lightning, Snow or Sazh's designs but every other character is so completely ridiculous. Nomura's design sensibilities seem so grossly out of place in any game not called The World Ends With You. Versus looks even worse in this regard.

Even when those little bastards aren't around, neochu is still a pain on the
Titan
mission. Do I really have to do the death trick again or is there some easier way?

Amir0x

Banned
acevans2 said:
Press select and take off that HUD before you take pics of the prettiness

I am hooked to my map in Gran Pulse! The map is its own puzzle, twisting and turning providing no cardinal directions whatsoever! It's worth marveling at along with the pretty!

j-wood

Can someone gauge how well my setup is going to work when I get to Pulse? I'm using Lightning, Fang, and Hope. Mainly use Light as a RAV and MEdic, Fang as Sentinal and Commando, and Hope as a Rav and Medic.

Also switch to Light as a commando and the other two as a sab and syn.

Going to fully upgrade the edged carbine for light and the hawkeye for hope, haven't decided on a weapon yet for fang. I've already got the edged and hawkeye up to the first star level, just gotta find the catalyst.

Sucks though that before I decided on this, I was using Light as a commando, have and the Gladius into it's second tier already.

adamsapple

That's pretty much the setup I used to finish the game. Light triple dipped as a Com/Rav/Medic in my party though, she's a great all rounder, and Fang was a half decent Saboteur too.

j-wood

Fimbulvetr said:
Edit: NVM, your setup is good. Unless you're going for all of the monster hunting missions you won't need to change.

I do plan on doing all the side mission stuff. That setup going to be a problem?

I'm having a tough time deciding what weapon to use now. I have the second form of the gladius, and it has 161 str and 67 magic. The edged is at lvl 25 1st form, and has 80 str and 164 magic.

Should I just stick with the gladius and then use the elemental strikes (sparkstrike, ect) as Light as a ravenger?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yeah I wasn't able to come up with any logical reason why the menu map should spin like it does. Eventually I came to the conclusion that they did it just to fuck with us.

Amir0x

Banned
you know, I'm fine with money being difficult early on but booooy is it a grind later on. Even the best way I've found to net money, which is like 500,000 gil in an hour, is ridiculous for the amount of $$ one needs to upgrade all the weapons. I heard of the trap farming and everything buuut I'm not quite at the lvl I need to be to death spam those things.

Other than that, really pleased with Gran Pulse. it really does feel like a completely different game. My only disappointment is that after exploring it, it's still obviously too small. Should have included an additional Steppe-sized zone.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
i know some ppl may have found a better place to farm cp in chap 11, but i found this to be the best spot... you can do it faster than the video shows if you use a syn, are more powerful, etc. Takes me about 50 seconds to win the fight, reset it, and start the fight again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D2F6lNpDu8

j-wood

What happens when you beat the story in this game? Do you get a new game plus or something? Or get to go back to pulse to do missions?

I ask because I've read some stuff about how farming opens up once you beat the game, or certain items are only available after you beat the game.

commish said:
i know some ppl may have found a better place to farm cp in chap 11, but i found this to be the best spot... you can do it faster than the video shows if you use a syn, are more powerful, etc. Takes me about 50 seconds to win the fight, reset it, and start the fight again.

I think a better one is the set of 5 golden robot dudes at the top of the tower in ch 11. They offer more cp, and they are quicker. Win-win. 16000cp (with egg) every minute.

adamsapple

j-wood said:
What happens when you beat the story in this game? Do you get a new game plus or something? Or get to go back to pulse to do missions?

I ask because I've read some stuff about how farming opens up once you beat the game, or certain items are only available after you beat the game.

One final level in the Crystarium opens up and you're allowed to make a save loading which brings you back to the last save spot before the final fight. You can go to Pulse and do missions/farm.

MechaX

commish said:

That method is the best early farming method as soon as you get to Pulse hands down provided you can take out the Behemoth King in one stagger and never let him transform. The transformation thing can be easily solved by keeping him in the air (which is comically not hard to do in this game). The white tiger thing is pretty easy. Even without the growth egg, the spot is pretty good in getting you the cp needed to level up the level 9 crystarium as soon as you get to Gran Pulse.

This is going to be a really stupid question, but do I have to complete missions in a chronological order or something? I just want to do the chocobo mission, but the thing won't lift from the ground.

Gattsu25

Banned
FTWer said:
Funny you should mention that, since the game requires ZERO grinding for the story portion of the game. Every enemy & boss can be beaten with pure strategy & absolutely NO grinding!

Only the side missions require grinding as they should.
Who the hell wants the last side mission be something you can beat without effort.
Agreed. I'm on Ch11 right now and I didn't grind a single enemy throughout my entire playthrough

j-wood said:
I do plan on doing all the side mission stuff. That setup going to be a problem?

Certain hunting missions work best with specific setups and/or characters.

I don't think you'll have to change too often though, just on some of the later ones.

How the hell can I kill (Chapter 11 Spoiler)
Barthandelus II? He doesn't do all that much damage to me and I got his health really low, but his health just takes so long to go down. I spent 30 mins attacking him (Mostly just with RAV/RAV/MED with Lightning, Snow, Hope), then he cast Doom and I couldn't kill him... Is there any way to kill him without takes absolutely ages or grinding?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
FateBreaker said:
I think a better one is the set of 5 golden robot dudes at the top of the tower in ch 11. They offer more cp, and they are quicker. Win-win. 16000cp (with egg) every minute.

that's much further along tho

Neil

Mid-way through Chapter 11. Haven't upgraded a single weapon yet. Is this normal? It seems like such a pain grinding for components that are half decent.

darkpaladinmfc said:
Barthandelus II? He doesn't do all that much damage to me and I got his health really low, but his health just takes so long to go down. I spent 30 mins attacking him (Mostly just with RAV/RAV/MED with Lightning, Snow, Hope), then he cast Doom and I couldn't kill him... Is there any way to kill him without takes absolutely ages or grinding?

RAVs drive up the stagger meter. COMs deal the damage. Use COM on staggered enemies for most damage. RAVs can also increase the chain bonus which augments damage potential.

Neil said:
Mid-way through Chapter 11. Haven't upgraded a single weapon yet. Is this normal? It seems like such a pain grinding for components that are half decent.

I completed the game and did 60 of 64 missions without upgrading weapons or accessories. You don't need to grind at all.

marathonfool said:
RAVs drive up the stagger meter. COMs deal the damage. Use COM on staggered enemies for most damage. RAVs can also increase the chain bonus which augments damage potential.
When he's staggered I alternate between RAV/COM/MED and COM/COM/MED. But he still takes ages to kill. One of the GameFAQs guides says you can kill him in 1 or 2 staggers O_O.

K' Dash

darkpaladinmfc said:

Edit:

sorry, I read it wrong, you said
Barthandelus II
, I just tried to stagger him as fast as I could with Tri Disaster, when that's done, debuff him and then use Relentless Assault, youll get him with 2 staggers...

Mystery

Hooray, I just got my first Trapezohedron drop, after killing about 80 Adamantoise/tortoises. I turned it into 3, used 2, and am switching to Collector's Catalog to get a higher percentage of Platinum Ingot drops until I can turn my last trap into 3 more. It seems about every 3rd turtle is dropping an Ingot, so that's good. :)

K' Dash said:
A couple of hours ago I was you, then user 7th told me to
put Vanille as party leader and get him poisoned, just keep him debuffed and keep you party heath at it's maximum.

Cheap FUCKer needs cheap strategy...
Thanks, I've had enough for today though. Hopefully I'll beat him tomorrow :lol.

darkpaladinmfc said:
When he's staggered I alternate between RAV/COM/MED and COM/COM/MED. But he still takes ages to kill. One of the GameFAQs guides says you can kill him in 1 or 2 staggers O_O.

DeProtect/DeShell/Bravery/Faith/Haste is your friend.

Amir0x

Banned
K' Dash said:
You don't want to know about mission 55, if you're barely liking the game, you will for sure break the disc trying to get the egg.

what is so hard about mission 55?

firehawk12 said:
You can get it waaaay before that.

How! Details! And is there anything that lets you farm gil more?

thx

MechaX

Amir0x said:
sunuvabitch

It's Mission 55 but you'll be able to do it after fighting the lass boss of Ch 11 (so you can get the level 9 crystarium and thus, Vanille's death spell) and after unlocking Chocobos (which is like, mission 16 or something).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom