• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_nothin

Banned
KZObsessed said:
So now I've mastered all my character I guess I can sell my Growth Egg for 250k? I don't need it for the treasure hunter trophy as I don't need to have everything at the same time, correct?

Is this FFObsessed?

Tom Penny

Natural said:
That's the boss i'm on now! The fucker cast Doom on me after I got his HP down to about half way!

How did you beat him?

I personally used Lighting, Snow and Hope and only used Relentless combat and Tri-Disaster for damaging it and Combat Clinic to constantly heal.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I think I'm done with this game.

I've spent the last 28hrs walking in a straight line.Thru one big endless gorgeous dungeon. Fighting every fight I could do to develop my characters abilities.

Only to hit the level 9 Boss and proceed to spend the last 3hrs trying to beat him over and over and over again. I get him to about 50% health then He casts doom on me and I can't get a solid chain going after that before he goes back to destructo and resets the fucking thing.

Seriously, I get end Game boss's back in 90's that said "Oh sorry you must go grind out 20 more Hrs of levels before you can beat me!"
But Mid game bosses? what DO i have to do go start walking backwards thru this whole level over and over to get more health and damage?

Everything that's Masochistically wrong with JRPG's all in one Big CockBlock.

So bloody frustrated. :-(

cosmicblizzard said:
Okay, mission 64 is total bull. I'm nearly maxed out with everything and this guy still stomps me. I always get so close using poison the whole battle but then he gets a lucky hit in. What weapons/accessories should I be using?
Sorry I know I don't have an answer, but do you still think you can Platinum this game? Is it feasible to 5 star all the missions?

Magnus

I think all I'm after in the missions is this miraculous Growth Egg, activation of some teleportation stones and chocobos....can I do this in the first 20 missions?

jiggle

Magnus said:
I think all I'm after in the missions is this miraculous Growth Egg, activation of some teleportation stones and chocobos....can I do this in the first 20 missions?

21-26 are required
and 28 is for teleportation also
so u'd have to also do those

charsace

I can't be the only one that thinks scores for this game are too high. 10 hours in right now and I don't understand how this game scores over an 8 anywhere.

charsace said:
I can't be the only one that thinks scores for this game are too high. 10 hours in right now and I don't understand how this game scores over an 8 anywhere.

The intro of the game is long, but I can't put it down.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
bloodydrake said:
Only to hit the level 9 Boss and proceed to spend the last 3hrs trying to beat him over and over and over again. I get him to about 50% health then He casts doom on me and I can't get a solid chain going after that before he goes back to destructo and resets the fucking thing.

Seriously, I get end Game boss's back in 90's that said "Oh sorry you must go grind out 20 more Hrs of levels before you can beat me!"
But Mid game bosses? what DO i have to do go start walking backwards thru this whole level over and over to get more health and damage?

Cast a Summons near the end when he casts doom, that will usually negate it if you time it right.
Attack him non-stop when he prepares for Destructo, he will make a grunt sound & the attack will do half damage after that.

bloodydrake said:

I've spent the last 28hrs walking in a straight line.Thru one big endless gorgeous dungeon. Fighting every fight I could do to develop my characters abilities.

I 2-shotted that boss =/

Used Light, Sazh, Vanille............you need to be quick before his magic amplification is too high, make sure you are at full health for the destructo and then relentless assault until he uses it, then heal, then repeat.........use your summon if needed........

burgerdog

Magnus said:

Beat the Chapter 11 boss, but do not leave Pulse and then try mission 55(I think that's what it was)to get the growth egg. Reason being that your crystarium goes to lv9 after you defeat the ch11 boss.

D23

dont understand the difficulty with chapter 9 boss, i thought it was pretty easy.
i use lightning, fang, and hope. use relentless assault, and switch to combat clinic?. beat him in less than 5 minutes.

Firestorm

I just hit Chapter 9 boss and he kicked my pooper. I was having trouble with some of the enemies on the way too... Had to use Deceptol to get the jump on them. Gotta mix up my strategy now. I was doing okay until he cast whatever the hell that was with the icicles out of the ground. Two-shotted me.

bloodydrake said:

28 hours?! I spent 17.5 hours up to here... If you still can't beat him either I'm screwed or you really need to change your strategy!

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
MechaX said:
In the harder fights, yes, it's going to matter when your synergist doesn't infuse a weapon with the right element or doesn't give the right buffs at times where they would have been quite vital, or when your medic doesn't decide to heal properly, or when your sentinel gets raped because he decided to use 5 more provokes on an enemy that is already provoked rather than canceling for a guard, or when a saboteur decides to mix and match random debuffs without having the option or ability to prioritize stuff (ie, Slow).

When considering that FFXII contained total control over their actions, XIII's AI is a jarring step back (and they don't even allow some form of customization) and it does pose problems when trying to form your own strategies for certain fights (and instead only encourages a few ways to do so unless you're personally manning the proper roles).

Again, maybe for the hardest enemies, but it is not constant & even at the hardest enemies, when it happens, it just delayed the fights a bit.
Made me use my Medic paradigm more than once or before I needed it.

You people make it sound like every single battle the a.i. fucks up. That's not true & I prefer with it's minor bugs over the way it is with FFXII massive tedious micro-management.
I spent half the time with that game going into the menus constantly "telling" my A.I. what they should know automatically. Like healing when my HP is low or curing poison & whatnot.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Man..been a few months so I may have forgotten..but isn't the trick to the chapter 9 boss:

to keep attacking even when hes charging his super laser? hit him once with your attacker to slow the break guage down, then go 3 blasters and cast magic like crazy, if you get him to about 75% break during his charging animation he'll actually stop shooting, then you finsih off the remaining 25% to break him, then switch to whatever you want to kill him. again the key is just to keep attacking through the charge..if you do it right itll never get that attack off during the fight. i could be remembering wrong though.

scotcheggz

FTWer said:
Again, maybe for the hardest enemies, but it is not constant & even at the hardest enemies, when it happens, it just delayed the fights a bit.
Made me use my Medic paradigm more than once or before I needed it.

You people make it sound like every single battle the a.i. fucks up. That's not true & I prefer with it's minor bugs over the way it is with FFXII massive tedious micro-management.
I spent half the time with that game going into the menus constantly "telling" my A.I. what they should know automatically. Like healing when my HP is low or curing poison & whatnot.

The AI is inefficient as all hell and it drove me crazy. At times I was switching to a recovery paradigm set when I really should have been dealing damage, purely becuase the AI was donkeying around, jumping in front of mobs that strike everything directly in front of them, or if a boss hits REAL hard and the synergist thinks it's a good idea to cast everything in his arsenal and then protect last. Protect soaks up so much damage in xiii it's unreal, so why the hell, when a boss hits for 2-3k, fairly often, is protect going on last?

I see what you're saying, but there was so many times during playing that I was literally shaking my head in confusion, trying to figure out what the fuck the SE guys were doing, aside from masterbating to there own artwork for the last five years.

That and making a bunch of side quests that were great fun. :D

Rpgmonkey

Personally, if there are no Gambits, I'd prefer if they did a Tales-style take on the A.I.

You can disable the use of abilities, make them prioritize certain abilities (like physical power over defense for a Synergist), get more aggressive (constantly use as many high-tier spells as their ATB allows instead of spamming low-tier ones, use Curasa/Curaja no matter what the party's current HP is), etc.

I might even prefer that to Gambits provided there's enough options that the smaller details of Gambits would just be overkill.

Llyranor

Chap9 boss certainly does not require grinding. I was able to beat him despite avoiding a large proportion of battles. I did lose to the boss once or twice, but it's very doable.

If he dooms you, use a summon - though that hadn't happened to me in that particular fight. When he readies destructo, you need to put all your energy into staggering him. Switch to a full ravager paradigm, or with some saboteurs in it as well (though the AI won't cast spells if the enemy is immune or already afflicted, don't remember if you can only play as Light in that fight - if that's the case, just stick with full ravager). Forget healing, buffing or whatnot, just stagger him. Having haste would help here.

grumble

worldrevolution said:
Man..been a few months so I may have forgotten..but isn't the trick to the chapter 9 boss:

to keep attacking even when hes charging his super laser? hit him once with your attacker to slow the break guage down, then go 3 blasters and cast magic like crazy, if you get him to about 75% break during his charging animation he'll actually stop shooting, then you finsih off the remaining 25% to break him, then switch to whatever you want to kill him. again the key is just to keep attacking through the charge..if you do it right itll never get that attack off during the fight. i could be remembering wrong though.

Even if the attack goes off, just make sure he grunts before he uses it. It's actually a really easy fight. Use Light/Hope/Fang, and have three paradigms: Aggression, Relentless Assault and Combat Clinic. USe Relentless Assault until he shoots you with the laser, then use Combat Clinic, then Relentless Assault until he staggers, then Aggression. Oh, and you might want to start off with Bully to get the buffs and debuffs.

Half the enemies in Chapter 11 are harder than that boss.

Lince

Banned
chapter 11 is so awesome, better in every way than the rest of the game, just brilliant. I can see myself spending a whole week here before moving on with the main story... guess most reviewers didn't make it there, not to mention Digital Foundry (framerate comparison :lol). Then again FFXII is one of my fav games ever so maybe I'm a bit biased... aye alright, I'm biased.

Mission 64 questions

Just fought him for the first time. Doesn't seem that bad. Uses that Wind Shear attack and twists himself all over the place. The shield is annoying as hell.

I quit the battle because it was taking too long. Did about 1/10 damage to him.

Can I stagger this guy during his shield recharge?
Any other attacks I should know about besides his Wind Shear and physical attacks? I know there's probably some uber attack at low heath. I just want to make sure to have the right resists. Thanks in advance

Firestorm

YES! I did it. Used
Lightning, Sazh, and Fang
and healed a lot :lol Target time was 13 minutes and something but I beat it in 14 something.

Hyunkel6

Chapter 11 boss was intense! The battle was going smoothly until he suddenly casted
doom
. Luckily, I had Sazh in my team. I'm pretty sure haste saved my butt. I managed to take the boss down 2-3 seconds before the end. It was awesome. :D

Hyunkel6 said:
Chapter 11 boss was intense! The battle was going smoothly until he suddenly casted
doom
. Luckily, I had Sazh in my team. I'm pretty sure haste saved my butt. I managed to take the boss down 2-3 seconds before the end. It was awesome. :D

That move is the worst move in the Final Fantasy universe

FINALLY beat mission 64. With that, I am DONE with this game. Been waiting nearly 5 years and finished it in 2 weeks....

Guess that's what being a gamer is all about; waiting a long ass time for something then beating it really quickly.

Door2Dawn said:
Cid Raines
is such a bullshit boss. Can't buff or attack.

Might want to spoiler that.

Owzers

The first 20-ish hours were okay, when the game started to open up i enjoyed it a bit more, but now, at 53hrs playing the game and almost done with Chapter 12....it's just so mediocre. So linear. The characters quickly faded out to "eh". The plot is semi-interesting. The boss fights...the fights in general are feeling tedious now. The non-stop speeches that are all the same from each and every character...it wears me down.

Graphically it's the best looking game i've played so far, but everything else is just forgettable.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
sillymonkey321 said:
The first 20-ish hours were okay, when the game started to open up i enjoyed it a bit more, but now, at 53hrs playing the game and almost done with Chapter 12....it's just so mediocre. So linear. The characters quickly faded out to "eh". The plot is semi-interesting. The boss fights...the fights in general are feeling tedious now. The non-stop speeches that are all the same from each and every character...it wears me down.

Graphically it's the best looking game i've played so far, but everything else is just forgettable.

I can understand the game being overtly linear at the start, where you can't choose who you want, no branching paths & the path is literally a straight line. But the 2nd half the game, the paths & dungeons (outside of Gran Pulse) are about as linear designed as all the Final Fantasy games on the SNES & PSX.

No more, no less. Boggles my mind a fan of the series would complain about the design after the 2nd half of the game.

grumble

sillymonkey321 said:

It actually reminds me a lot of FFX, except a better version of it with a few less illusions.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
FTWer said:
Boggles my mind a fan of the series would complain about the design after the 2nd half of the game.
What do you mean by design? Just the layout of things, or the actual art and design? The game has a "break" from ultra linearity during Pulse, but then it goes right back to it.

I thought most of the game looked like crap though ... not all of course, and mostly just the textures and lighting and jaggies and the dithering ... just that.

mintylurb

charsace said:
I hear ya. I somehow managed to clear it up to Chapter 8(Nautilus). I really want to finish this game before moving on to gow3 or jc2..but I don't think I can take it anymore..
0cy28.gif

I think FF13 is one of the better looking JRPGs but that's to be expected when each level is rather small and pretty much a straight line..

There were some noticeable frame rate drops(prob to 20fps) once I reached Nautilus Park but it only dipped that low just a few times. I guess there just ain't enough cell juice to render all of those chocobos..
0to30.gif

hateradio said:
What do you mean by design? Just the layout of things, or the actual art and design? The game has a "break" from ultra linearity during Pulse, but then it goes right back to it.

I thought most of the game looked like crap though ... not all of course, and mostly just the textures and lighting and jaggies and the dithering ... just that.

I didnt see any of that, the game is absolutely beautiful on the ps3, the game is a breath of fresh air compared to all those shitty buggy unreal engine games Ive been playing, SE did a great job with their crystal tools engine

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
dreamer3kx said:
I didnt see any of that, the game is absolutely beautiful on the ps3, the game is a breath of fresh air compared to all those shitty buggy unreal engine games Ive been playing, SE did a great job with their crystal tools engine
If you missed the textures, then I don't know what to say; you're probably not very picky. They did fix some of the issues in Ch 12, but that's really late imo.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
dreamer3kx said:

The ground textures.

Giolon

Finally a mother f'ing Trapezohedron. I only had to kill upwards of 15 Adamantortoises to get one. I stopped counting after that. I also only got a single Platinum Ingot in all of that. :-/

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kagari said:
The ground textures.

:lol

Anyway, the engine seems fine (on the PS3 so far). Can't wait to see Versus XIII since it uses an upgraded version of the Crystal Tools (prior to FFXIII) IIRC. :D

Magnus

Does my leader have to equip the Collector's Catalog for it to be in effect, or can anyone have it on (or just active battle team members)?

Has to be equipped on active team members. Also, Collector's Catalog and Connoisseur's Catalog conflict. Depends on what you want more -- Normal items or Rare items.

mr_nothin

Banned
charsace said:
I'm in the same boat as you. This is like a 5/6 game. So mediocre...and I'm 20 hours in. It's hard to keep playing but for some strange reason, I want to finish it. I keep hearing about this "opening up".

Cep

Banned
Rpgmonkey said:
Personally, if there are no Gambits, I'd prefer if they did a Tales-style take on the A.I.

Been saying this for a while as well. The Tales AI management system would be an improvement in just about every way.

Combined with the ability to switch the leader on the fly(as well as trashing the Crysidium)...

chapter 9 boss is a bitch but i was able to beat it on my second try. i'd have had to try a third time if i hadn't of saved my summon for when it cast doom.

anyways i'm still enjoying the game even though the faults are many. a great battle system, graphics, troy baker, and music sure can carry a game a long ways.

Chris R

Such a cock tease with an amusement park that has chocobos all over the place with NO minigames (Vanille on a snowboard dammit :< ) and no chocobo racing. Damn it all :<

rhfb said:
Such a cock tease with an amusement park that has chocobos all over the place with NO minigames (Vanille on a snowboard dammit :< ) and no chocobo racing. Damn it all :<

Nautilus will be pretty much the Gold Saucer only better in FFXIII-2 :D
Or whatever they
(MAJOR END GAME SPOILERS)
build on Pulse

I wrote this on another board, defening this games story and setting. Do you guys agree with it?

Dude, how does talking to nameless npc add to the emotional connection? This is a story about 6 people who lives got twisted upside down and I'd like.....erm, and how all their alliances are conflicted, even with each other. Because of events out of their control, a solder who is suppose to fight against this kind of thing is forced to fight her own government for her sister, etc I think they did an adequate job in ch. 4-8 setting up these characters and their motivations/pasts, then in 9 - 11showing you the "real plan" of how it all came to be and why. They definitely could have refined the beginning chapters as they introduced all these concepts though. From the start they begin to just throw around words like l'cie without you being able to grasp what they truly mean in this world. When you see how freaked out civilians are in ch. 7 i believe about l'cie, you then begin to believe why the government would try to purge anyone that came near one, but because the story starts by throwing you right into the mess rather than living and learning in a world before the chaos hits, you dont have that time to adapt. Luckily, i didnt mind as much because of the data base and the gorgeous world the created.

Ok, Mission 64 is just stupid.

The enemy heals more than I can deal out in damage. Fine, Square, I'm gonna
poison
his ass.

I don't even come close to dying. This mission is all about damage dealing.

Styles

marathonfool said:
Ok, Mission 64 is just stupid.

The enemy heals more than I can deal out in damage. Fine, Square, I'm gonna
poison
his ass.

I don't even come close to dying. This mission is all about damage dealing.

Godamnit, I just need to finish that mission until I get the trophy. So time consuming.

lmao at mission 34

There I am thinking I'm going to fight this big
tentacle monster
, instead a
Tonberry
comes out of nowhere and
shanks his ass

toasty_T said:
lmao at mission 34

There I am thinking I'm going to fight this big
tentacle monster
, instead a
Tonberry
comes out of nowhere and
shanks his ass

That was great. The target time on them is huge too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom