• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

CruxisMana said:
I've never needed too and I'm very conservative with finite items. lol.
They're way too rare IMO.. I almost never used them either.
First time I used one in multiple chapters was to get by the fighting baddies outside of the cave to Oerba or whatever.

grumble

SixStringPsycho said:
Im at chapter 8 or 9. And theres a boss fight with a hige ship. HOw the fuck do I beat that shit?

You beat it by using ranged attacks. Work from the outside in. There are five parts to the ship (guns, armors, hull), and you don't want to attack the hull first. Oce you kill a gun or two, you should be okay. Make sure to start off killing one gun right off, then turtling with a medic and synergist, then blast the other gun and mayne one armor, then turtle, then the other armor and the hull. Stay high HP for the hull and race for the chain combo, since it has a high damage particle beam.

It's really not that tough so long as you manage HP and blow up a chunk or two to start. Use libra of course.

Meier

SixStringPsycho said:
Im at chapter 8 or 9. And theres a boss fight with a huge ship. How the fuck do I beat that shit?
My biggest suggestion/tip is to
wail away on him when he is about to cast Destrudo. I didn't realize for awhile that this would stop him from doing the attack and/or at least lower the overall damage from it so getting back to full attacking speed was shorter. You can also summon when doom is on you to wipe it out apparently..

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Think I'm near the end of Chapter 11, and tried fighting you know who part 2. 3.3 million HP...

Well, got him down to about half, after about 10 minutes. Then out comes the doom countdown...

fucker

Think I might just backtrack for a few hours and get more CP, though I'd love to have that CP x 2 item...

Lince

Banned
KZObsessed said:
4 Platinum Ingots and 999,999 CP... yet no Trapezohedrons >_<

ingots? trapezohedrons? and... 999,999C???? THE HELL?? are you using a guide? I'm about to start chapter 11 and all this shit is scaring me, I made it all the way here without a guide spending money and using items the best I could... why do I have this feeling I completely screwed up? :lol

what am I supposed to do in chapter 11? where to start? what weapons/accessories should I have and how do I level them up efficiently?

MechaX

Lince said:
ingots? trapezohedrons? and... 999,999C???? THE HELL?? are you using a guide? I'm about to start chapter 11 and all this shit is scaring me, I made it all the way here without a guide spending money and using items the best I could... why do I have this feeling I completely screwed up? :lol

what am I supposed to do in chapter 11? where to start? what weapons/accessories should I have and how do I level them up efficiently?

In Chapter 11, don't worry about anything. You can grind off of the Behemoth King/White tiger duo next to a cave in the Steppe if you really want to. Hell, most of the means for heavy duty grinding don't apply until after you've beaten Ch 11's last boss. In the mean-time, just explore, do missions, or whatever.

Now in the post game, yeah, you do have a reason to be scared. In the course of this topic, I do stand corrected; you probably won't have to worry about a lot of this stuff if you want 1.) a challenge and 2.) don't care about star rankings and still manage to prevail against a lot of the missions. If you want to fight this game's super boss, stand a better chance against the late missions, or do care about rankings... You're going to learn about all of those terms soon enough.

Seriously, just play the game right now and don't worry until most of that stuff until after you've beaten the game and unlocked the last Crystarium.

KZObsessed

Lince said:

It's alright, you don't have to worry about this stuff until post-game. That's when you should probably consult a guide about things. It's not complicated tho.

When I got to Chapter 11 I just wandered around and did my thing. I think I got to Mission 15/16 of the C'ieth stones before getting stuck and deciding to carry on with the main story.

In regards to leveling up weapons and accesories. The only thing I leveled up before the big boss was one of Lightnings weapons. I upgraded the Gladius to it's tier 2 form, Helter-Skelter. To be most efficient with leveling up, you use "organic" components first to get a 3x multiplyer then use mechanical components for the most experience. I wouldn't start upgrading accessories until you've gotten the highest form you can get naturally.

I'd just play through the game and check out a guide at the end or just before you get to the big boss (you can warp back to Pulse at that point) if you think you're not strong enough.

KZObsessed

expy said:
They'll drop in bunches when you don't need them anymore. :lol

How much do they sell for? I'm guessing not much :(

Technically, tho I've only gotten 3, I don't really need any more, so I just want the $$$ now :p

Rpgmonkey

KZObsessed said:
How much do they sell for? I'm guessing not much :(

Technically, tho I've only gotten 3, I don't really need any more, so I just want the $$$ now :p

A totally insane 10,000 gil. :/

It doesn't make a lick of sense considering its buying price, so I don't understand the logic behind the economy in this game at all.

Lince

Banned
thanks for the answers guys, I guess I'll just play wandering about grinding here and there and not worrying too much until I finish the game. This is the only PS3 game I play offline since the other day I got a random PSN mail which almost spoiled me both this game and GOWIII...

Fakto

So, I'm at the end of Chapt. 11, I can't kill
Baldanders
He cast
DOOM
on me at 1.000.000 remaining health points ... How I'm supposed to do that much damage in that short time ? [Yeah, I save all 5 PTs saved for +Ultraheal or +Antimagic].

does he starts that timer at random ? Any advice ?

KZObsessed

Lince said:
thanks for the answers guys, I guess I'll just play wandering about grinding here and there and not worrying too much until I finish the game. This is the only PS3 game I play offline since the other day I got a random PSN mail which almost spoiled me both this game and GOWIII...

I wondered where you'd been :(

expy said:

Oh God, you were right. I just got another one and I only have 53 gil :lol

Amir0x

Banned
luxarific said:
Cannot agree more. The battle system only shines when the AI chooses the right actions. But it consistently fails to do so (particularly for sab and syn actions). Even you've libra'ed the enemy completely, Hope will put the wrong elemental effect on your weapons. It just makes me want to throw my controller at the screen.

Yup. Normally, this wouldn't matter... but since A.I. is so fundamentally important to high level play, it's actually become obscene for me. How anyone can defend the system without more micromanaged programming at this point is beyond me - it's clear that SquareEnix simply cannot program A.I. smart enough to account for a great many scenarios.

And this just leaves me frustrated as I have to come up with roundabout ways to get what I need done.

B-Rad-Lascelle said:
Not refuting your point but in the case of Mission 7 at least, wouldn't it make sense for you to directly control the character that requires the most amount of handholding so as to not be dependent on a fluky AI?

Go into that fight playing as Hope directly and you've got full control over your buffs while your other two guys attack as needed.

I've tried that. Then Lightning fucks up at something and slows the battle down (for example, she consistently cures instead of ensuna off the miasma effects, which if land mag down on Fang, she won't be able to hit Ballius with mag defense decrease, which is a big part of finishing the battle quickly).

In the end, it ended up being somewhat faster to just let Hope at it and control the Esuna healing at the start.

Also, ANOTHER thing. I should be able to target multiple teammates on a round if my bar allows it. For example, Esuna Fang and Esuna Hope on the same turn if I choose.

SO MANY RETARDED LIMITATIONS. God just when I was a little enjoying myself the bullshit creeps up and starts making it too annoying. FFXIII is a mess :(

geebee

Banned
After playing Rogue Galaxy recently, the weapon crafting/upgrading system in this is totally overwhelming in terms of the freedom it gives you. I'm too scared to use any of my items or what weapons/equipment to use them on. :lol

Chairhome

Apologies if its been asked before, but I've been avoiding the thread for fear of spoilers (I just finished Ch. 7 I think). What does "Role Level" affect when you upgrade it in your Crystarium? Does it just let you go to the next level when its available?

Meier

Chairhome said:
Apologies if its been asked before, but I've been avoiding the thread for fear of spoilers (I just finished Ch. 7 I think). What does "Role Level" affect when you upgrade it in your Crystarium? Does it just let you go to the next level when its available?
Apparently it affects the multiplier bonus for the role as well.. I don't notice a difference personally but it exists I guess.

Chairhome said:

I believe role levels add small bonuses to each paradigm. Commando has a damage multiplier and each role levels adds a little bit to the multiplier. Ravagers have chain multipliers. I think Saboteurs have success rates. Not sure about Synergists and Sentinel. I assume buff duration and defensive bonuses respectively.

MechaX

Amir0x said:
Yup. Normally, this wouldn't matter... but since A.I. is so fundamentally important to high level play, it's actually become obscene for me. How anyone can defend the system without more micromanaged programming at this point is beyond me - it's clear that SquareEnix simply cannot program A.I. smart enough to account for a great many scenarios.

And this just leaves me frustrated as I have to come up with roundabout ways to get what I need done.

Just wait until you get into a situation where you have a boss that can one-shot the party or do pretty close to it, you can skate by on full-health, but your party members simply refuse to heal any one to full health. Instead, it's like they're saying "Full-health? As long as it's in the green (at times a couple thousand below the maximum), it's okay!"

That shit drove me insane in some of the later missions. I grinded Fang into becoming a Medic to get around that, but there's no reason why that should be a good solution to this issue.

Amir0x said:
Also, ANOTHER thing. I should be able to target multiple teammates on a round if my bar allows it. For example, Esuna Fang and Esuna Hope on the same turn if I choose.
I agree about the frustrating AI, but it's quite possible to do what you say. Just interrupt after the first Esuna and switch to the other character. The AI may be dumb enough to spend two actions on a person when one would be sufficient, but there's no reason you have to be.

Zoe

MechaX said:
Just wait until you get into a situation where you have a boss that can one-shot the party or do pretty close to it, you can skate by on full-health, but your party members simply refuse to heal any one to full health. Instead, it's like they're saying "Full-health? As long as it's in the green (at times a couple thousand below the maximum), it's okay!"

That shit drove me insane in some of the later missions. I grinded Fang into becoming a Medic to get around that, but there's no reason why that should be a good solution to this issue.

This is why I always have my medic as the leader. I generally don't have any problems as long as that is the case.

Fakto said:
Baldanders
He cast
DOOM
on me at 1.000.000 remaining health points ... How I'm supposed to do that much damage in that short time ? [Yeah, I save all 5 PTs saved for +Ultraheal or +Antimagic].

I just beat it an hour ago :/. Basically
I used Lightning, Fang and Vanille. I got max TP before the battle and used a Fortisol (Faith, Vigilance and Haste). Started with COM/RAV for Lightning/Sahz while Vanille quickly Deprotected him. Then I switched to RAV/RAV/RAV or RAV/RAV/MED depending on how much health my party had. I quickly staggered him, got the chain gauge to about 400% then switched to COM/COM/MED and just attacked (My Lightning did about 30,000 per hit). Once you get him to 1/2 health or take too long his head should come out and he will start using Apophsis or something like that (Not much damage, but removes all his debuffs and your buffs). I kept attacking with COM/COM/MED then RAV/RAV/MED. When his stagger gauge was near full and I felt like most characters had decent health I quickly switched to COM/RAV/SAB so Vanille could quickly stick Deprotect on him. Then switch back to COM/COM/MED and attack. He should go down eventually and if you have to dodge a fatal face laser thing then quickly use a Summon. Hope this helps, I got 5 stars BTW and I think I killed him within like 8 minutes.

Amir0x

Banned
Liabe Brave said:
I agree about the frustrating AI, but it's quite possible to do what you say. Just interrupt after the first Esuna and switch to the other character. The AI may be dumb enough to spend two actions on a person when one would be sufficient, but there's no reason you have to be.

i know that, but it significantly slows the process down

Sacha

Fakto said:
Baldanders
He cast
DOOM

Try summoning your eidolon when he casts it. Timer will stop as long as the summon lasts.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
expy said:

Yeah, as soon as I got my 6 ultimate weapons I got 2 trap drops in a row, then another one shortly after :lol

But yeah, traps really aren't that rare a drop, especially compared to pink tails or other things from the series. You're bound to get at least 1 or 2 farming turtles for gil and cp.

KajunW

Threi said:
another random thought about this game: The music has been hit and miss so far, but why are there people who are hating on the boss theme? It's one of the best I've heard in ANY FF.

I wholeheartedly agree. The overall impression I have of the music is that it's decent, but not particularly memorable given the music the series has produced throughout the years. But Saber's Edge, the boss music, really is somewhere up there with the best standard boss music in the series, alongside FF6-FF8.

My guess why it is not liked because the style deviates from previous soundtracks. Obviously, this has to do with Masashi Hamauzu having taken over the composer duties. Uematsu, for the most part, focused on relatively simple melodies that are distinct, capture your attention and can be listenened to on their own (that is, outside the game context). It's almost as if the music is written to take the spotlight. Saber's Edge seems to be not as "loud", and it's something unlikely to be noticed when listening to it on its own. I didn't realize until after maybe 10-15 hours of gameplay that the song was really, really good. The bit from 0:40-1:15 is absolutely epic and conveys the grand scale of the boss battle rather well.

Lost Fragment said:
Yeah, as soon as I got my 6 ultimate weapons I got 2 trap drops in a row, then another one shortly after :lol

But yeah, traps really aren't that rare a drop, especially compared to pink tails or other things from the series. You're bound to get at least 1 or 2 farming turtles for gil and cp.

That's totally cool, out of the 300,000 that you need to kill to max out you'll get maxed out. Honestly the end-game is balls, I don't know if I can be arsed to continue given I'm at a stage where I need to spam death to level/grind cash.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Spirit of Jazz said:
That's totally cool, out of the 300,000 that you need to kill to max out you'll get maxed out. Honestly the end-game is balls, I don't know if I can be arsed to continue given I'm at a stage where I need to spam death to level/grind cash.

As soon as you max your 3 main roles and get a genji glove you should be able to kill them without summon/death. Lots more efficient. Add a growth egg onto that and you'll have all roles maxed before you know it.

Fakto

Zoe said:
Doom timers are not random. Bosses will cast them if you're taking too long to complete a fight.
True, this time I just attacked with all I got from the beginning and he casted doom when it had only 300.000 HP left ! ;D
Thanks guys !

MrDenny

Chairhome said:
What does "Role Level" affect when you upgrade it in your Crystarium? Does it just let you go to the next level when its available?

Role levels have bonuses

Commando

Damage Boost (self)
1) x2.0
2) x2.1
3) x2.2
4) x2.3
5) x2.5

Damage Boost (allies)
1) x1.05
2) x1.05
3) x1.10