• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

hank_tree

Westonian said:
Piggyback did the MGS4 guide as well. Very nice layouts, and they throw in a lot of artwork as well. And don't remind me of the FFIX guide. I'm replaying that as we speak and that book is nothing but a giant cock tease.

"There's a great secret in this area! Login in PlayOnline to find out what it is!"

Bastards.

The Piggyback FF9 guide in the EU also had the PlayOnline "functionality".

My guide and game should be waiting for me when I get into work tomorrow.

KZObsessed

Well, 5 hours in and so far I'm really enjoying it. The beginning is really boring. Mainly because you don't even get any exp for fighting or any kind of abilities to make things interesting. When you do get the ability to use the Paradigm Shift system and start the Crystogenesis (leveling up) things are a lot more fun and I really like the combat. FFX-2 meets FFXII. Nice.

There's been some really varied and unique looking environments even in just the first few hours, and they're absolutely breathtaking with some amazing vistas. Yeah the environments are extremely linear, but it's not much different to FFX. Story so far is very interesting with a lot of backstory to everything in the datalogs, I like the characters especially Sazh. So far so good at least :p ooh and looking forward to upgrading weapons and such.

In the instruction manual there's an advert for Leona Lewis - Echo... just thought I'd mention o_o

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
FFObsessed said:
In the instruction manual there's an advert for Leona Lewis - Echo... just thought I'd mention o_o
YOU DON'T SAY... -_-

MrDenny said:
Video Preview of the CE guide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvQ3-LtZp30

Some pics of the CE guide:

Just got mine from Amazon an hour ago(cellphone cam, sorry):
FFXIII.jpg

0308101427_01.jpg

<3 Amazon :D

Ikkarus

I'm about 3 hours in to the game.
So far I am loving it. The story is progressing at a steady rate and the CGI is beautiful. This game also has one hell of an addicting battle theme, I'm still humming it in my head as I write this. :lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Say... does the guide have any sort of story section? Is the art section worth a damn? What are the extras?

Some GAFfer mentioned this guide would be "the closest we'd get to an Ultimania" in the west... but he also said he used to work for Piggyback, so that could have been his biased opinion, of course.

fu3lfr3nzy said:
<3 Amazon :D

< / 3 Amazon.ca :(

They don't even ship it until tomorrow... I don't expect it until Friday.

hitsugi

BocoDragon said:
< / 3 Amazon.ca :(

They don't even ship it until tomorrow... I don't expect it until Friday.

don't feel bad.. I'm in the US (california) and they haven't shipped mine, either D: it's just been in "preparing" status. I suppose I should have just gone to gamestop tonight / tomorrow after work.

Peff

BocoDragon said:
Say... does the guide have any sort of story section? Is the art section worth a damn? What are the extras?

Some GAFfer mentioned this guide would be "the closest we'd get to an Ultimania" in the west... but he also said he used to work for Piggyback, so that could have been his biased opinion, of course..

I don't know about FFXIII's guide yet (how dare these shitty shops around honor the street date :mad: ), but the rest of Piggyback's guides are amazing except for FFIX which featured the same Playonline shit. I expect the usual: pictures and data from every single enemy, detailed information about the weapons and upgrades, a good amount of info for every hunt mission, nice artwork in random pages, high quality paper and images... they're great.

My Collector's Edition PS3 copy of the game arrived this morning... Was tossing up ordering the Limited Edition guide...

And then I came in here and saw the pics - decision made! (It looks awesome):D

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I bailed out on the LE guide when I became timid about the game. But now knowing what I know, I'm not sure how purposeful the guide will be when the game is so linear(?) even though the book itself is beautifully crafted. Let me know how worthwhile it is aside from the quality of the crafting.

hitsugi said:
don't feel bad.. I'm in the US (california) and they haven't shipped mine, either D: it's just been in "preparing" status. I suppose I should have just gone to gamestop tonight / tomorrow after work.

I'm from California too
SoCal :p
and I got mine today. Fingers crossed for you buddy :D

D23 said:
should i get the ce guide or valkyria chronicles?
both are $20... decisions decisions

Both.

If not, Valkyria Chronicles

crpav said:
My question is to get it for the PS3 or for the X Box 360.....or both.

Without getting into fanboyism or arguments: get the
PS3
version.

Ponn

Banned
So the only REAL difference between the CE guide and the regular version is the CE is HC? With a few extra pages?

Ponn01 said:
So the only REAL difference between the CE guide and the regular version is the CE is HC? With a few extra pages?

For some people (including me) the minimalistic logo and HC is enough difference to order CE. CE guide also has 16 extra pages. What else did you expect from a CE?

demonkaze

Peff said:
I don't know about FFXIII's guide yet (how dare these shitty shops around honor the street date :mad: ), but the rest of Piggyback's guides are amazing except for FFIX which featured the same Playonline shit. I expect the usual: pictures and data from every single enemy, detailed information about the weapons and upgrades, a good amount of info for every hunt mission, nice artwork in random pages, high quality paper and images... they're great.
The FFIX guide problems are actually due to square, not brady or piggyback. At the time th game came out, playonline was just launched and they were really trying to push it. Due to that they made that crap a "requirement" in the contract.

Ponn01 said:

Well on Amazon the difference was just like 3 dollars, so it was easy for everyone to choose the harcover guide.

I think it was 16 pages of extras

Alex

D23 said:
should i get the ce guide or valkyria chronicles?
both are $20... decisions decisions

Do you like irrelevant paper guides or do you like SCOUT RUSH.

MAKE YOUR CHOICE.

Alex said:
Do you like irrelevant paper guides or do you like SCOUT RUSH.

MAKE YOUR CHOICE.

I sure would like some pretty paper more than Rush. Even Vaan was a better main character. Other than that it's awesome though so eat less and get both.

Ponn

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
For some people (including me) the minimalistic logo and HC is enough difference to order CE. CE guide also has 16 extra pages. What else did you expect from a CE?

I kind of liked the slipcases and random front cover on the FFXII and Kingdom Hearts 2 CE guides. I lucked out on the KH2 guide and got the Final Form cover. Also had artbook and stickers.

Not really complaining, I like the cover and HC of it too (plus the 18 bucks shipped tax free from amazon helps) just wondering.

About 5 hours in and really liking it. Animations are a bit ugly at times, I especially hate the running animation and the feeling when you are running, feels like there's not weight in the game at all. I really like the combat system even though you cant control everyone and the story is promising.

But a very dissapointing thing is you cant look upskirt on Lightning, why is it just black there ? Is her vagina a black hole ? Is that why she's so angry ? I dont know yet but I know i'm going to find out before I finish the game.

FFObsessed said:
Well, 5 hours in and so far I'm really enjoying it. The beginning is really boring. Mainly because you don't even get any exp for fighting or any kind of abilities to make things interesting. When you do get the ability to use the Paradigm Shift system and start the Crystogenesis (leveling up) things are a lot more fun and I really like the combat.

My thoughts exactly.

I've just unlocked the Paradigm Shift system and it makes a world of difference to the combat.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm super surprised how many people still buy paper guides in 2010, and here on GAF!&#12288;Is it just for collections sake? I haven't bought a paper walkthrough since Secret of Mana..which was a loooooooong time ago. And I actually used the guides as a kid, it wasn't for pretty pictures or anything. And with the internet you have access to a million free walkthroughs/guides that are MUCH more detailed than any official guide will ever be. /confused

I do own a few Ultimanias though but that's because they were super cheap and I wanted the developer interviews, not the actual guide stuff. Does the guide pictured above have that kinda stuff too?

Ponn

Banned
worldrevolution said:
I'm super surprised how many people still buy paper guides in 2010, and here on GAF!&#12288;Is it just for collections sake? .

You got it. My FFXII CE guide is on a shelf with my Judge Gabranth Play Arts figure standing in front of it. I think I just opened it to stare at Ashe's ass on my front cover for awhile then put it back.

Anyone elses faceplates ship from Best Buy? Got my notice it shipped today.

worldrevolution said:
I'm super surprised how many people still buy paper guides in 2010, and here on GAF!&#12288;Is it just for collections sake? I haven't bought a paper walkthrough since Secret of Mana..which was a loooooooong time ago. And I actually used the guides as a kid, it wasn't for pretty pictures or anything. And with the internet you have access to a million free walkthroughs/guides that are MUCH more detailed than any official guide will ever be. /confused

I do own a few Ultimanias though but that's because they were super cheap and I wanted the developer interviews, not the actual guide stuff. Does the guide pictured above have that kinda stuff too?

Why wouldn't I buy one ? I like a pretty guide and it's farily cheap, better than some poorly written one on gamefaqs. The final fantasy ones I bought have always been more detailed and better than anything I've been able to find on the internet (for free).

Alec said:
Really surprised at the amount of people in this thread with good things to say.

Same here. With all the spin that was coming out of SquarEnix the last month, it really had me expecting a disaster.

As it is...now...I'm completely fuckin' torn about getting it, which would be the very first FF I haven't bought since, well, since the beginning.

Alec said:
Really surprised at the amount of people in this thread with good things to say.

I was expecting this. Reviewers are not much of a help these days, most of them have an idea for "perfect game X" and everything that doesn't go with that formula gets bashed. Same with FF, they didn't even bother to check their facts. No talking to NPCs? 20h tutorial? Rubbish.

Google

bigdaddygamebot said:
Same here. With all the spin that was coming out of SquarEnix the last month, it really had me expecting a disaster.

As it is...now...I'm completely fuckin' torn about getting it, which would be the very first FF I haven't bought since, well, since the beginning.

Just pony up the $60, and be a man about it.

Amazon has shipped my copy, and will hopefully receive it tomorrow (scheduled to get here tomorrow!). I just hope somebody will be here to get it. D:

Pretty excited to play it!

fernoca

Milk Lizard said:
But a very dissapointing thing is you cant look upskirt on Lightning, why is it just black there ? Is her vagina a black hole ? Is that why she's so angry ?
:lol :lol ...can't wait for tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom