• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponn

Banned
Alec said:
Really surprised at the amount of people in this thread with good things to say.

That's the cycle of GAF. When the majority of people suddenly go from only being able to talk about and debate pixels on screenshots to actually playing the game things change.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Alec said:
Really surprised at the amount of people in this thread with good things to say.

While I do expect a drop in quality because key people left square, I think the reviews are overly negative for the same reason that many popular games are overrated. Some of the older Final Fantasies were overrated back in the day when they were hyped/popular games.

I think western reviewers just hate JRPGs now. Lost Odyssey was good. It kind of fell apart near the end, with the villian that looked like a high school gym coach and whatnot. But I thought it too was underrated, should have gotten about an 85%.

There has been a lot of games this generation that are rated as if they are the best game in ages. Stuff averaging 95% on gamerankings, and so far this generation I think only Uncharted 2 has deserved it.

Dresden

fffffffuuuuuuuu

reading through the thread is getting me hyped like crazy. Too bad I won't be able to play till Thursday.

Rektash

Milk Lizard said:
But a very dissapointing thing is you cant look upskirt on Lightning, why is it just black there ? Is her vagina a black hole ? Is that why she's so angry ? I dont know yet but I know i'm going to find out before I finish the game.

-1 observing skills. If you watch closely you can see she wears black hotpants under her skirt :lol . Btw is it just me or did everyone do this first when gaining control in the game. You know - the skirt thing.

sdornan

Ponn01 said:
That's the cycle of GAF. When the majority of people suddenly go from only being able to talk about and debate pixels on screenshots to actually playing the game things change.

There's a trend here where if the reviews were overwhelmingly positive people will bash the crap out of a game. If they were more negative than expected, people sing its praises. People like to play contrarian.

aryies

Neo Member
Castor Krieg said:
Over the past 4 days I clocked 26 hours. I didn't do this for a very, very long time.:lol

there's definitely something about the game that makes me not want to stop. This is nowhere near close to goty quality for me, but it's harder to put down than ME2 or UC2 was for me :/ go figure.

sdornan said:
There's a trend here where if the reviews were overwhelmingly positive people will bash the crap out of a game. If they were more negative than expected, people sing its praises. People like to play contrarian.

Or maybe reviewers dont always have the same taste or desire to play a game that the gamers who dont have playing games as a job does. I doubt it has anything to do with reviews what we post on here, I sure as fuck dont tell myself "oh no some sites gave this a bad score, i better go praise it on GAF".

sdornan

Himuro said:
Except reviews for FF13 are still pretty positive.
True, but not higher than original expectations, so as a result expectations drop after seeing the reviews. Then, after playing the game, people realize it's still 100 times better than White Knight Chronicles, Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, etc.

Google said:
This makes no sense.
contrarian - a person who takes a contrary position or attitude.

Milk Lizard said:
Or maybe reviewers dont always have the same taste or desire to play a game that the gamers who dont have playing games as a job does. I doubt it has anything to do with reviews what we post on here, I sure as fuck dont tell myself "oh no some sites gave this a bad score, i better go praise it on GAF".
I call it the "God Hand Complex" even though God Hand is amazing, but still.

Heading into town when shops on (in 9 hours) with a bunch of friends to pick up copies (non-CE, 360 due to current setup).
Looking forward to it.... except I won't be able to play it anytime soon.

fernoca

Rektash said:
-1 observing skills. If you watch closely you can see she wears black hotpants under her skirt :lol . Btw is it just me or did everyone do this first when gaining control in the game. You know - the skirt thing.
Nah, I'll wait to control Snow and see his male bra..freaking dude wears more clothes than a nun...Sazh also has too many darn clothes..and the other boy-thing..is a twink and I don't like twinks. Where are my manly-shirtless guys Nomura?!!!! .....guess Versus will do. :p

JSnake

sdornan said:

IT'S ALL A CONSPI- shut up

Rektash said:

I studied this very closely and I will ignore your research until further proof on the subject is provided, the black hole theory is still the only one that makes sense. Also yes, it was the first thing I did, it's like the camera asks you to do it.

sdornan

JSnake said:
IT'S ALL A CONSPI- shut up
Nothing I said even remotely resembled conspiracy talk. All I said was that it's human nature for people who disagree with what's considered the consensus to be more vocal about their opinion, at least as far as the Internet and forums are concerned.

JSnake

sdornan said:
Nothing I said even remotely resembled conspiracy talk. All I said was that it's human nature for people who disagree with what's considered the consensus to be more vocal about their opinion, at least as far as the Internet and forums are concerned.

Yeah I think it's more likely that they just, you know, like the game.

ZeoVGM

Banned
sdornan said:
True, but not higher than original expectations, so as a result expectations drop after seeing the reviews. Then, after playing the game, people realize it's still 100 times better than White Knight Chronicles, Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, etc.

As far as expectations go for reviews, this is what I expected and the main things people list as negatives don't bother me at all.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I'm pretty excited for this game, surprisingly. I'm going to the midnight release with one of my really good friends and then gaming till my eyes bleed. I have to work tomorrow with said good friend so we will probably share our opinions about the game. It's probably just the Final Fantasy nostalgia in me that's making me edgy but I've been waiting for this game, FOREVER.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
ok take it easy... dont buy a ps3 just for this dont buy a ps3 just for this... calm down.

Triz

Just got back from the launch event in San Francisco. They had units running the game on PS3 and 360, the game is noticeably nicer looking on the ps3 (although that could have been Sony TV for the PS3 or Samsung on the 360 units). Got to meet the director who didnt speak much english, but didnt sign any autographs. Except for the 5 random people that won. Pretty lackluster event, and just throwing everybody into the battle scenes with no direction may not have been the best idea, because it sure as shit didnt sell alot of people on the game, me included. Did get to watch a 3 minute cgi from the game in 3D though and I thought that was prety cool.

Prizes given away by raffle were:

xbox 360 final fantasy bundle
Autographed CD by the singer of that my hands song.
One of those Summoned action figures, pretty cool actually
and a Autographed European collectors edition of the game.

I may be on Gametrailers TV cause Geoff Kieghly was there doing his show.

Alec said:

You really think a group of 10+ year FF fans that somehow haven't been completely turned off by what squeenix has turned the ff series into are going to hate on the thing they love and anticipate so much that they chat about it online on a daily basis?
You do realize the only way to play the game was to import it or live in japan. You think average not-self-brain-washed bias people are going to do such a thing unless they're paid to? You're going to use those people as a barometer for the quality of the product?

Not saying the product is bad. I'm just saying you won't find an answer on these forums and you probably never will and that goes quadruple-ly so when it comes to games of this popularity, hype and fanaticism. Might as well ask what people at Michael Jackson's funeral what they thought of his last album.

Rimshot

I only had money to buy one game this month due to a lot of bills and what not. (Shouldn't have bought any at all but I couldn't keep my fingers away hehe)
So I just ordered FFXIII and when I was done with the payment they showed me God of war 3 / Yakuza 3 which are coming this month also. I somehow forgot this :/ Reading peoples impressions I am starting to think I opted for the wrong game :S

Jeels

Mr. B Natural said:
You really think a group of 10+ year FF fans that somehow haven't been completely turned off by what squeenix has turned the ff series into are going to hate on the thing they love and anticipate so much that they chat about it online on a daily basis?
You do realize the only way to play the game was to import it or live in japan. You think average not-self-brain-washed bias people are going to do such a thing unless they're paid to? You're going to use those people as a barometer for the quality of the product?

Not saying the product is bad. I'm just saying you won't find an answer on these forums and you probably never will and that goes quadruple-ly so when it comes to games of this popularity, hype and fanaticism. Might as well ask what people at Michael Jackson's funeral what they thought of his last album.

There is so much wrong here I don't even know where to start.

Mr. B Natural said:

You do realize that :

1. People living in Japan visits GAF.
2. Europe already have had the game for a day and I'm pretty sure that was the impressions he was referring to.
3. Not everyone on here are final fantasy fans for 10 years. I own FF7, FFX, FF12, the psp one set in ff7 world and no more. That is not much at all considering I have known about it since ps1 days.
4. You're retired.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
cosmicblizzard said:
Oh fuck it looks like the Gamestop near me is in fact doing a midnight release. Are those usually reserve only?
They usually are reserve only but if they have extra copies (which they usually do), you can pick one up. As long as your gamestop hasn't closed yet, you can still reserve it. GO!

Jeels

Milk Lizard said:
You do realize that :

1. People living in Japan visits GAF.
2. Europe already have had the game for a day and I'm pretty sure that was the impressions he was referring to.
3. Not everyone on here are final fantasy fans for 10 years. I own FF7, FFX, FF12, the psp one set in ff7 world and no more. That is not much at all considering I have known about it since ps1 days.
4. You're retired.

Let's not even forget the fact that

A) There are Final Fantasy Fans here who absolutely hate this game.
B) There are Final Fantasy Fans here who absolutely love this game.
C) There are people here whom this is their first FF and they love it.
D) First FF, but they hate it.

And everything in between.

RPGCrazied

man, that guide looks to pretty to open. :)

but I am! that way if I get stuck on one of the harder missions(im sure there is a few, I can just consult the guide)

Pancho

Qurupancho
Oh god why do I keep entering this thread!?!? It's like willingly kicking myself in the balls..o gawd it's still 9pm.

pelicansurf said:
They usually are reserve only but if they have extra copies (which they usually do), you can pick one up. As long as your gamestop hasn't closed yet, you can still reserve it. GO!

Normally I wouldn't make 2 trips (store is 15 minutes away about) but this is a game I've been anticipating through my whole college career and into my post-college rut. Looks like I'll be going after dinner.

Jeels said:

We should narrow it down even further.

A) Kitase fans (FF8, 10, 13) that love this game.
B) Kitase fans that hate this game.
C) FF12 fans that like the game.
D) FF12 fans that hate the game.
E) Fans that liked the second half of FF6 that liked this game.
F) Fans that liked that Square Tom Sawyer RPG that like this game.
G) Fans that babysat Sakaguchi's daughter (Duckroll?) that like this game.

Jeels said:

Here's hoping I'm a C and not a D :)

Unless you guys count Crystal Chronicles.
:lol :lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Pancho said:
Oh god why do I keep entering this thread!?!? It's like willingly kicking myself in the balls..o gawd it's still 9pm.
Hey don't complain.. I'm in PST time and it's only 5 Pm here!!

hitsugi

fu3lfr3nzy said:
I'm from California too
SoCal :p
and I got mine today. Fingers crossed for you buddy :D

thank you for this D: i ran home early from work and ugh you got my hopes up for nothing! D: i'm from so cal as well and nothiiiiinggg /cry

did yours come UPS or regular mail? if it's ups... maybe still some hope.

Alucrid

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
Normally I wouldn't make 2 trips (store is 15 minutes away about) but this is a game I've been anticipating through my whole college career and into my post-college rut. Looks like I'll be going after dinner.

Uh. We've been waiting for this game for 4+ years? Really? Goddamn it.

Shadow780

cosmicblizzard said:
We should narrow it down even further.

A) Kitase fans (FF8, 10, 13) that love this game.
B) Kitase fans that hate this game.
C) FF12 fans that like the game.
D) FF12 fans that hate the game.
E) Fans that liked the second half of FF6 that liked this game.
F) Fans that liked that Square Tom Sawyer RPG that like this game.
G) Fans that babysat Sakaguchi's daughter (Duckroll?) that like this game.

Nomura fans?!!!

HELLOOOOOOOOO?!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom