• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

remz

icarus-daedelus said:
The fact that it looks like a giant pocket knife rather than an actual sword always makes me chuckle.
That's why I love it! so ridiculous, like the anti whatever cloud's sword was.

and yeah, Snow sounds a lot like Kanji, not surprised it's the same VA

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
No wonder Snow sounds almost like Kanji. If I closed my eyes while watching the final trailer of FFXIII, I'd think Kanji was going cheesy with Sera. :lol

cabottemp

Banned
wtf, it's impossible to enter the code to register for ff14 beta. I mean christ, i'm copy/pasting and the shit ain't working.

W.

T.

FUCK.

cabot said:
wtf, it's impossible to enter the code to register for ff14 beta. I mean christ, i'm copy/pasting and the shit ain't working.

W.

T.

FUCK.

It cuts off the last 4 digits. Take out the spaces and copy/paste the last 4.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Went over to a friend's place last night for some FFXIII, played for about an hour. Combat came down to: press A, press A, press A, press A, etc.

Is this for the entire game, or does combat go deeper eventually?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
ULTROS! said:
No wonder Snow sounds almost like Kanji. If I closed my eyes while watching the final trailer of FFXIII, I'd think Kanji was going cheesy with Sera. :lol

Hero's never Get Bent !

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DMeisterJ said:
Battle music <3

--

Wait... So the code that is in our case for the PS3 version will get you into the FFXIV beta?

Yessir. I should probably add that info to the OP.

neorej said:
Went over to a friend's place last night for some FFXIII, played for about an hour. Combat came down to: press A, press A, press A, press A, etc.

Think about what you just wrote and you'll know the answer.

leng jai

The first two hours are mind numbingly boring but I guess that really isn't unusual when it comes to JRPS. Graphics are nuts and once you get introduced to some new tricks the battle system suddenly becomes awesome. Got the PS3 LE version of the game and god is it pathetic. I'll going to exchange it back for a standard version.

BTW has anyone found the cover art online for the soundtrack? Searched before and couldn't find it.

DMeisterJ

Banned
neorej said:

What other button would you press in a turn based RPG?

You will always be pressing A

Kagari said:

HOT DAMN! Thank U Square Enix!

Played for about 2 hours just past the point where
Serah crystallizes

While it's still early, I can say right now that THIS is what's been missing from my life for the past 9 years. The battle system, atmosphere, story, characters, music; it's all there. It feels like I'm 14 again. My favorite series is back and it's just as good as ever. This isn't hyperbole; I truly feel this way.

I'm going to take a small break and then go back to play some more. I don't care that it's almost 3 AM. I've waited 4 years for this and I'm not gonna let something trivial like sleep get in my way.

Kagari said:

I don't know if the text is different for US, but when you register a PAL copy it states in the e-mail:

2. Enter to become a beta tester for FINAL FANTASY XIV for PlayStation 3!
The promotional code also allows you to apply now for a chance to become a beta tester for FINAL FANTASY XIV for PlayStation 3. Click the link that appears below the FINAL FANTASY XIV promotional code and enter using the official beta tester application form.

So not a guarantee, just a chance. Although my guess is people will get in eventually.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Castor Krieg said:
I don't know if the text is different for US, but when you register a PAL copy it states in the e-mail:

2. Enter to become a beta tester for FINAL FANTASY XIV for PlayStation 3!
The promotional code also allows you to apply now for a chance to become a beta tester for FINAL FANTASY XIV for PlayStation 3. Click the link that appears below the FINAL FANTASY XIV promotional code and enter using the official beta tester application form.

So not a guarantee, just a chance. Although my guess is people will get in eventually.

Yeah it's the same.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
cosmicblizzard said:
Played for about 2 hours just past the point where
Serah crystallizes

While it's still early, I can say right now that THIS is what's been missing from my life for the past 9 years. The battle system, atmosphere, story, characters, music; it's all there. It feels like I'm 14 again. My favorite series is back and it's just as good as ever. This isn't hyperbole; I truly feel this way.

I'm going to take a small break and then go back to play some more. I don't care that's almost 3 AM. I've waited 4 years for this and I'm not gonna let something trivial like sleep get in my way.
God I hate you east coast types. I'm freezing my nuts off because for some insane reason the line is outside.

Glad to hear some good reviews though.

Styles

Up to Viles Peak and man it's been an incredible ride so far. The battle system so far is what's standing out for me, verrrrry fun and addicting once you are introduced to paradigm shift. I think I've never been invested into a game this much since I don't know when. Also the VA wasn't bad as I expected to be, it had it's funny moments, but overall pretty good. And the visuals, my god, mind blowing, the CG is one of the best I've ever seen. Can't stop playing.:lol

Edit: What?! That code will get you into FFXIV beta?!

neorej

ERMYGERD!
DMeisterJ said:
What other button would you press in a turn based RPG?

You will always be pressing A

Well, I was expecting something like party- & equipmentmanagement, shifting partymembers front to back and vice versa, using members as healers, tanks and damagedealers, switching equipment to better fight the foe you're facing, etc etc, kinda like previous Final Fantasies I've played. Right now, this feels like a linear movie where I'm asked to please not think, just keep pressing A.

remz

neorej said:
Well, I was expecting something like party- & equipmentmanagement, shifting partymembers front to back and vice versa, using members as healers, tanks and damagedealers, switching equipment to better fight the foe you're facing, etc etc, kinda like previous Final Fantasies I've played. Right now, this feels like a linear movie where I'm asked to please not think, just keep pressing A.
That stuff comes into it later, with the paradigm business.

I just got home from work (had customers until 1:20am). This was the biggest midnight turnout we had since CoD:MW2. I picked up my copy for the PS3 and CE guide. I won't be able to play it for awhile (tons of things going on right now) but I can't wait to dive into Square Enix's new entry to the FF series.

Cloudy

Banned
Game is great so far. Plot and character dev is already miles ahead of FF12 at the beginning. Lightening is such a badass and Sazh is so cool. No real opinion on Snow and Hope right now. Vanille isn't annoying me....yet. I kind of like her :D

Things I don't like:

WTF is up with the grayscale menu screen though? It's really jarring going from the gameplay to that and it's literally an eyesore for me >_<

Why won't square just go back to a FFX type battle system? Or at least give players an option? I want to control all my characters and play strategically. I don't want control of 1 character as a way to artificially speed up battles!

PS: I'm not getting the VA complaints. It's quite good so far...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
BONUS
PlayStation 3 version Square-Enix Members code unlocks Final Fantasy XIV promotions: in-game item + chance to enter the PS3 beta.
Xbox 360 version Square-Enix Members code unlocks PSICOM avatar items for the NXE avatars.

Added to OP.

Angry Grimace said:
God I hate you east coast types. I'm freezing my nuts off because for some insane reason the line is outside.

Glad to hear some good reviews though.

How long is the line? There were like 30 people at the store here and this is a small-ass town.

MrDenny

Cloudy said:
PS: I'm not getting the VA complaints. It's quite good so far...
It's probably because people are use to the JP VA from the trailers or playing the import, so the EN VA will sound off to them. I also like the the english va.

Can't believe this is out now.

Anyone getting the 360 vers. over the PS3 one?

I may way and just get the PS3 one when I get a PS3. I don't like the idea of installing 3 discs on my hd since I only have a 60gb one *cry*

MrDenny said:
It's probably because people are use to the JP VA from the trailers or playing the import, so the EN VA will sound off to them. I also like the the english va.

I think it's the writing rather than the VA. With the English version, people can fully understand the cliche, awkward, and unnatural dialogue.

Another thing I thought I would mention is the constant over dramatic breathing and gasping from Vanille and Hope when they first get weapons... My brother actually thought I was playing an erotic game or something. Quite funny!

DMeisterJ

Banned
Kagari said:
BONUS
PlayStation 3 version Square-Enix Members code unlocks Final Fantasy XIV promotions: in-game item + chance to enter the PS3 beta.
Xbox 360 version Square-Enix Members code unlocks PSICOM avatar items for the NXE avatars.

Added to OP.

Just registered myself on SE's site, and my beta application on that site. Hope that I get in! :D

Anyway, one hour in... Wanted to play more, but soooooo tired! D:

Natural

I was holding off buying this but.. from what I have read of peoples first impressions in this thread; I think I will go buy it later.

Snipes424

A lot of people showed up at the gamestop I was at. Out of about the 15 or so midnight launches I've been to, the only one that was larger was MW2.

But after playing it for about 2 hours, I'm liking it a lot.

shwimpy

Playstation Blog said:
Players who purchase a copy of FINAL FANTASY XIII for PS3 will receive a FINAL FANTASY XIV secret in-game item and be able to enter for a potential opportunity to become a beta tester for FINAL FANTASY XIV for PS3.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...-exclusive-bonus-offer-for-final-fantasy-xiv/

It also states that FFIV will be PS3-only (console-wise).

Some of you may remember the announcement we made at our E3 press conference last June, but just a reminder that PS3 will be the only console you’ll be able to play FINAL FANTASY XIV when it launches in 2010.

Talon

remz said:
there was excellent VA in FFXII?
Absolutely great other than the audio quality, especially considered to the shitstorm that is X.

You're telling me Balthier, Fran, and Basch weren't spot-on?

remz

You're telling me Balthier, Fran, and Basch weren't spot-on
yeah, they were pretty awesome actually.

but vaan vaan vaan vaan penelo.

If only Balthier, Fran and Basch were the only part members!

20193 said:
Another thing I thought I would mention is the constant over dramatic breathing and gasping from Vanille and Hope when they first get weapons... My brother actually thought I was playing an erotic game or something. Quite funny!
haha yeah that was way out there.
and super hot

and did vanille just find her magical death fishing rod in there and somehow know how to use the damn contraption without being told how? they kind of glossed over how she has amazing talent with this completely impractical weapon

So, I've played for about an hour and 40 minutes so far.

All of the gameplay has consisted of running straight and combat

It's fun, the story is interesting and there's a lot to read and take in, but I can't help but notice that's all I've done.

Talon

remz said:
yeah, they were pretty awesome actually.

but vaan vaan vaan vaan penelo.

If only Balthier, Fran and Basch were the only part members!
Not much we can do about that.

Actually, all things considered, the VAs for both characters weren't that bad. Vaan's was surprisingly bearable. Penelo (and Ashe for that matter) were *gasp* city, though.

But, by God, Larsa was good enough in his short stints to make up for them.

Tamanon

Banned
Aight, Vanille is just cute as a button.

Finally going to sleep, at the beginning of Chapter 3, about 3 hours in.

Her little "Let's run away, Ciao!" was adorable

Glad the battle system's starting to open up some though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom