• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duki

Banned
YYZ said:
When the game "opens up", is it like FFX where you have a bunch of fun things you can do in the field? Seems pretty big to me so I dunno, maybe the people complaining have a ton of time to waste.

from what I've heard it's built pretty much exactly like FFX. you plow through a linear story until it opens up, except in FFXIII it opens up at one point, closes again, and then opens up once more.

remz

Sazh is great, I'm neutral to lightning and snow but Vanille is such a what the fuck character. ditzy weird Australian girl who fights with a razor fishing rod? how on earth did this character design come together.

I'm still in chapter one, but I'm liking the game so far. Battle system is fun.

Duki said:
also lightning is a bitch, hope is a whiny pussy, vanille is a piece of shit and snow is almost tolerable but just left the party do dig through some fucking crystals.

sazh is great so far, just because he's a normal, competent, non-insane and functioning human being. breath of fresh air so far.

feels weird playing a game before americans, totally not used to it.
:lol Right. I'm afraid I don't have that much faith in Square Enix just yet. So far all I've seen is an old tired looking, kind of cowardly stereotype that does the Harlem Shuffle as his fighting stance and has a baby chocobo in his afro that doubles as a freakin' bird's nest. I'm still wondering if he will hold any degree of importance to the story and actually contributes to the plot beyond cliche one-liners later on. Because that 10 minute footage of the beginning of the game didn't do him any justice.

Cloudy

Banned
Wow, my Gamestop was packed. Almost a 100 people easily (they said they had about 200 preorders). It's not a big store either. It wasn't nearly this packed for FF12.

Maybe those awful ads are..*gasp* working? :eek:

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Dark Octave said:
:lol Right. I'm afraid I don't have that much faith in Square Enix just yet. So far all I've seen is an old tired looking, kind of cowardly stereotype that does the Harlem Shuffle as his fighting stance and has a baby chocobo in his afro that doubles as a freakin' bird's nest. I'm still wondering if he will hold any degree of importance to the story and actually contributes to the plot beyond cliche one-liners later on. Because that 10 minute footage of the beginning of the game didn't do him any justice.

Sazh is definitely one of the best characters in the game. He's really well-done! I played through the JPN version and he was my favorite character out of all of them.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Picked up the collectors edition of the game on PS3 this morning before work. Had a listen to the sample soundtrack included and man is it fantastic. As a result I've placed an order of the limited edition full soundtrack from CD-Japan as well as the soundtracks for Secret of Mana, Evangelion and GTO.

Yay!

desu

Shadow780 said:

Game (PS3): shipped from amazon today

CE Guide x 2: shipped from amazon today

PAL CE: shipped last Friday

faceplate: shipped today

Nice Shadow, did you buy the faceplate for 50$ or did you find a cheaper place?

Curufinwe

Vanille's voice actress, in case you haven't seen her before:

http://www.girlfromdownunder.com/gvcphotogallery.htm
1204959-georgia_cuylenburg_large.jpg

Jswanko

So my brother doubted that FFXIII would be good so I laid some indisputable fact on him.

I said, "Bro, what are you favorite Final Fantasy's?" He replied "Probably VI and VII." So I looked straight at him and cooly said, "Add those numbers together and what do you get?" In unison we joyfully exclaimed, "THIRTEEN!!!" while holding hands and spinning in a circle.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Teknoman said:
http://entry.ffxiv.com/na/index.html
* The game to be tested is under development, and may differ significantly from the commercial release.

* If an applicant applies multiple times, only the final application will be valid.

* Inquiries regarding the selection process and/or its results will not be answered.

* For more details, see the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Test Application FAQ here.

* If you have received a FINAL FANTASY XIV promotional code for registering FINAL FANTASY XIII on the Square Enix Members site, please use it to apply for the beta test.

* If you have already applied for the FINAL FANTASY XIV beta test but would like to apply for the PlayStation 3 beta with a FINAL FANTASY XIV promotional code, please be aware that all previous applications will be invalidated.

* The promotional code will also be required to obtain the FINAL FANTASY XIV secret in-game item, so please hold on to your code until the game’s official release.
So this is only for the PS3 beta? Hrm, I was hoping to get into the PC beta ... I wonder if the code would at least raise my chances of that.

So it arrived last night and I've been playing ever since. So far I'm not that impressed. All there is to do in battle for the first 1 or 2 hours of the game is to hammer the X button. I'm a bit further now, to the point where new abilities are available using that CP grid. It's finally picking up, but I never imagined it would take this long to get going.

The voice acting isn't as bad as I was expecting, but Vanille really bothers me! Her voice seems to keep switching from a strong British accent to an American one... Hmm.

RS4-

Put in 27 hours or so into the game and fuck, this is probably the hardest or maybe most frustrating FF in quite some time.

Without the item buffs, some fights are brutal. Chap 10-11 come to mind, some of the mobs in 12 too. Especially the ones you cannot avoid at all.

Then again, I've yet to really level up any of my weapons and acc.

Slow ATB gauge is really really slow. It did help againt one of the mini bosses though. In normal atb, I could only get into two reps of attack before he does anything, on slow I can get in 4-5 reps lol.

sdornan

20193 said:
So it arrived last night and I've been playing ever since. So far I'm not that impressed. All there is to do in battle for the first 1 or 2 hours of the game is to hammer the X button. I'm a bit further now, to the point where new abilities are available using that CP grid. It's finally picking up, but I never imagined it would take this long to get going.

The voice acting isn't as bad as I was expecting, but Vanille really bothers me! Her voice seems to keep switching from a strong British accent to an American one... Hmm.

Yeah, Vanille manages to annoy me within 10 seconds of dialog in the IGN video review.

20193 said:
but...but... she's played by an Australian. :lol I kinda can't wait to play this just to hear the clusterfuck voice acting coming from that character. But nothing can possibly be worse than the blatantly French kids in Heavy Rain.

Dresden

icarus-daedelus said:
but...but... she's played by an Australian. :lol I kinda can't wait to play this just to hear the clusterfuck voice acting coming from that character. But nothing can possibly be worse than the blatantly French kids in Heavy Rain.
You're going to have to go into Vanille defense mode soon because Vanille hate will probably hit fever pitch tomorrow with everyone playing the game.

sdornan

icarus-daedelus said:

I'll choose mispronunciation over high-pitched whinyness anyway.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The 360 version of the game is currently in my house.

... Of course, it's not mine. :(

My brother and his friend went to GameStop at midnight to get it and his friend is starting it here. I refuse to watch until I pick up my own copy after work though.

There's already 3 out of 7 people on my friends list playing it while I play FFXI. :lol

Dresden said:
You're going to have to go into Vanille defense mode soon because Vanille hate will probably hit fever pitch tomorrow with everyone playing the game.
Only if you back me up, I can't possibly handle the onslaught of Vanille hate alone. But I think I'm probably going to stay away from here until Amazon decides to be merciful and super saver-ship a copy to my cheap ass.

EDIT:

sdornan said:
I'll choose mispronunciation over high-pitched whinyness anyway.
I can handle shifty accents in a fictional world; however, when your characters are supposed to be American and are the children of American characters, but sound like they are from a country thousands of miles across an ocean, well, that is harder for me to accept.

Ugh. I drove all the way to Wal Mart and even though I called @ 10 pm and was "guaranteed to be available if I drive" there, it was not available. They had received the guides, but if they had received the games, they were not to be found.

I am only irked by the fact that I was promised something. But, really, it's Wal Mart.

Oh well.

ZeoVGM

Banned
jiggle said:
FFXIV beta/item code

Are you sure about that? My brother's friend is getting two outfits or something according to the website.

Is it different for the 360 and PS3 versions?

As I decided not to pick this up at Midnight, are you saying that there is a beta code in the US version as well? If so, I think I will be picking it up instead of Goozexing it.

Spruchy

God today was so shitty I decided to pick it up at the GS across the street so I could end the day on a good note and return my amazon copy to them tommorow.

Anyways, enjoy all!

1qjytbj

Lightning

Banned
Vanille is awesome and in battle she rocks.

For me though it's Lightning>>>>>>Vanille>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Everyone else, except Snow>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Snow.

Snow sucks...

Jeels

Just got back with my copy. About 50-75 people surprisingly, and a diverse bunch (even saw a few girls omg!) Line was quick.

Tamanon said:
Oh hey, it's Yuri from Tales of Vesperia! Good choice for Snow.:D
Yuri was a pretty likeable character.

I guess I won't mind that. Or do you mean the voice actor? I guess I won't mind that either. :D

Lightning said:
Vanille is awesome and in battle she rocks.

For me though it's Lightning>>>>>>Vanille>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Everyone else, except Snow>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Snow.

Snow sucks...
Dude, Fang > *

I am guessing that you are right about Snow, though. What with the inexplicable lace bra and all.

Tek

about 20-25 people at my local gamestop...which is decent for that store. The most I ever saw there was 150 for Modern Warfare 2

seemed like people got the ps3 mostly...

I went with the 360 myself, if I had a ps3 then I would have went that route.

george_us

First hour impressions:
-All of the characters are pretty damn cool so far.
-Battle system is fun as hell despite having no abilities
-Soundtrack is amazing, I love the battle theme
-Graphics are mindblowing
-I really like Vanille's accent
-Hope's mom is smoking hot. Huge rack too.
-The linearity of the game isn't bothering me one bit
-If the game keeps bringing the heat like this, this may be my second favorite FF behind 7.

Edit: Is Hope's mom Motoko Kusanagi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom