• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kai Ozu

Taking on the Long Gui was the best part of this game. I really think the gameplay is fantastic, it's brought me back into rpg games.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yeah FFXIII made me interested in JRPGs again. Bought Resonance of Fate after it and loved it also.

Cornbread78

icarus-daedelus said:
Desperate times call for desperate measures. The dialogue was CODE WHITE levels of bad at times, son.

Talking about storytelling styles in JRPGs in direct reference to FF13 is not related to FF13? Fine, let's talk about grinding up in this bitch.

LOL, I had to laugh at that one. touche'

JohngPR

Finally got to put a few hours into the game yesterday and today and at last I'm at the part where it opens up.

I LOL'd when I got there and Lightning said, "I think it's safe to say that things won't be boring here.".

:lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Mo0 said:
The part where the game opens up is also the part where the dialogue writers opened up their whiskey bottles.

They got knocked out? :lol

The story seems non-existent at that part anyway.

Cep

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
Desperate times call for desperate measures. The dialogue was CODE WHITE levels of bad at times, son.

Talking about storytelling styles in JRPGs in direct reference to FF13 is not related to FF13? Fine, let's talk about grinding up in this bitch.

Let us not. Ugh.

Mo0

ULTROS! said:
They got knocked out? :lol

The story seems non-existent at that part anyway.

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of "Wellll... yeah.... this doesn't sound hackneyed or wordy at all. RUN IT, SEND IT TO VOICE ACTING"

So I just beat FF13 and credits are rolling as I type.

What the fuck happened? I think this is the least comprehensible FF game I've played. How the hell did they end up on Pulse after destroying Orphan? Also, what happened to the people living in Cocoon?

alright, hopping back in here for some advice.

i'm nearing the end (i think?
right outside Orphan's Cradle
), and i haven't ever touched any of the upgrading stuff - it just seemed like a hassle and it was my understanding that you could get by fine without it.

but things are getting a bit tough, and since i assume i won't be collecting more weapons for the most part, i'll feel better about putting points into the ones that i have. so...any tips for this process? should i FAQ it up to really get my component's worth? i really have no idea where to start since it seems like a crapshoot without some guidance.

thanks!

RustyNails said:
So I just beat FF13 and credits are rolling as I type.

What the fuck happened? I think this is the least comprehensible FF game I've played. How the hell did they end up on Pulse after destroying Orphan? Also, what happened to the people living in Cocoon?
I can't tell you man ,but I can say. The ending of Final Fantasy XIII is the worst I have seen in a FF game.

Combine said:
I just started this game. I'm guessing I'm going to be retreading on old waters here, but is it just me, or did anyone else want to utterly kill Hope and Vanille in the most gruesome ways possible (I began imagining Kratos having a go at them) :D

Seriously, Vanille "I'm so cheerful! Why can't everyone be cheerful too! Oh and I'm from
Pulse
, but that's so not obvious now right?" and Hope "I'm full of generic emo rage! I love my dead mommy but hate my daddy and Snow too! But I'm a weakling who's taking the place of the tsundere girl character Square forgot to make."

Ugh, who writes this crap?

I'm about 3 hours into the game and came to say the exact same thing. My god are they awful. I absolutely have loved Final Fantasy for years and years but I can't imagine playing a single moment more. I'm sure these games still hit the spot for a demographic but I guess I'm not into that anymore. Either I've changed or this, and similar games, have just become even more grating.

jax (old)

Banned
cr_blah_blah said:
I'm about 3 hours into the game and came to say the exact same thing. My god are they awful. I absolutely have loved Final Fantasy for years and years but I can't imagine playing a single moment more. I'm sure these games still hit the spot for a demographic but I guess I'm not into that anymore. Either I've changed or this, and similar games, have just become even more grating.

she gets better (a bit through the game) but fuck me sideways if the whole "lets explore this dangerous dungeon hee hee" bit at the start didn't make me want to break the bluray disc. I couldn't believe how idiotic she was.

danootz

rocksolidaudio said:
alright, hopping back in here for some advice.

i'm nearing the end (i think?
right outside Orphan's Cradle
), and i haven't ever touched any of the upgrading stuff - it just seemed like a hassle and it was my understanding that you could get by fine without it.

but things are getting a bit tough, and since i assume i won't be collecting more weapons for the most part, i'll feel better about putting points into the ones that i have. so...any tips for this process? should i FAQ it up to really get my component's worth? i really have no idea where to start since it seems like a crapshoot without some guidance.

thanks!

I'm at Chapter 12, and I'm noticing the increased difficulty after blowing throw chapter 11 after having spent a lot of time doing missions and trying to fill in the Crystarium.

I'm in that Eden Park place where there are a lot of Soldiers, Vampires and those big Bulbasaur looking enemies. I've spent a good couple hours there and I'm still having a hard time. Lots of close calls and with those Bulbasaur (something harvesters?) I have to call in an Eidolon to save my butt sometimes.

The only thing I can think is I messed up by using CP to fill in other classes instead of focusing on a characters 3 main classes. I also don't focus on lvling weapons/accessories. Actually I've star lvled 2 of my main fighting characters weapons and a little into some accessories.

Any advice for that area?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
danootz said:
I'm at Chapter 12, and I'm noticing the increased difficulty after blowing throw chapter 11 after having spent a lot of time doing missions and trying to fill in the Crystarium.

I'm in that Eden Park place where there are a lot of Soldiers, Vampires and those big Bulbasaur looking enemies. I've spent a good couple hours there and I'm still having a hard time. Lots of close calls and with those Bulbasaur (something harvesters?) I have to call in an Eidolon to save my butt sometimes.

The only thing I can think is I messed up by using CP to fill in other classes instead of focusing on a characters 3 main classes. I also don't focus on lvling weapons/accessories. Actually I've star lvled 2 of my main fighting characters weapons and a little into some accessories.

Any advice for that area?
don't stress. the bulbasaurs are intentionally deadly. in fact, I couldn't even hope to beat one unless it was already VERY weakened by other enemies first (if not already killed). That chapter throws some tough enemies at you, but don't stress too much if you find yourself avoiding some fights.

danootz

Thanks Rez. Yeah I began wondering if maybe I just wasn't meant to beat them easily. I made it through the battling bulbasaur and the horse dude who summons the sword. And I made it to the next are and saw the huge mech guy in the distance and sighed, imagining those battles would be just as tough if not tougher so I backtracked hoping to try to level up :p

I'll give it a shot continuing though.

Think I'm done with this game. I've played for 3 hours, and while I can now see how the battle system is very, very cool, I don't think I'll stick with it.

Whoompthereitis said:
Think I'm done with this game. I've played for 3 hours, and while I can now see how the battle system is very, very cool, I don't think I'll stick with it.
You haven't unlocked the battle system in 3 hours.

Anywho I'm in about 7 hours and I enjoy the game. Vanilles accent is inconsistent though

Whoompthereitis said:

You should. I'm sucked into the game now... I'm about 24 hrs in though. The tutorial stage doesn't really end until about 10 hrs in and the real difficulty doesn't kick in until 20 hrs in or so.

Just completed the game too.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and the ending (although I'm going to have to use my guide to read up on it a little).

Ending spoilers:
Now I get the logo.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So I've noticed the lip syncing isn't always accurate in the English version... seems they half-way did it in some scenes.

FTWer said:
Must have not played many.
Ever since FF7, most had incoherent endings.
hmm?

VII's ending makes since
VIII's ending is still nice even if its confusing.
IX's ending is great
X's ending is the best
XII's ending is kind of lackluster but still makes sense.

Nope, XIII's is pretty terrible in the the last parts of the game seem to make no sense and kind of go against what was going on before.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
CruxisMana said:
Ending spoilers:
Now I get the logo.

Just wondering if
Versus XIII's logo will symbolize the end of the game also. :lol

Rahxephon91 said:
hmm?

VII's ending makes since
VIII's ending is still nice even if its confusing.
IX's ending is great
X's ending is the best
XII's ending is kind of lackluster but still makes sense.

Nope, XIII's is pretty terrible in the the last parts of the game seem to make no sense and kind of go against what was going on before.

I had no trouble understanding XIII's ending whereas VII's and IX's confused me.

Fimbulvetr said:
VII's is purposely ambiguous.

At least until they decided to milk VII with the Complication.

Well yeah, I understand it now. I mean back when I was 10 and had no idea what the fuck was going on. The 500 years later thing didn't help either.

ULTROS!

Final Fantasy X's ending made the most sense actually (not to mention one of the best endings I've seen). IX too though i think.

ULTROS!

... At least the battle theme is the most epic battle theme ever. :D

... Yea the ending was half-assed actually. :(

C.T.

I didn't get my treasure hunter trophy even though I didn't forget anything? I double checked and even upgraded iron bangles etc. :(

ULTROS!

C.T. said:
I didn't get my treasure hunter trophy even though I didn't forget anything? I double checked and even upgraded iron bangles etc. :(

Did you get all the weapons, upgraded all of them to the second tier, and have at least one of each character's weapon reach 3rd tier?

Kai Ozu

I don't agree with that, what did you all want from the ending? The premise of the story didn't really allow them to go much further. Maybe it helped that I went into this game with extremely low expectations.

rataven

C.T. said:
Don't forget to talk to the
robot in Oerba
. I think that's what activates the trophy. And if you're missing anything, he'll hint that there's are still items out there you need to find.

C.T. said:
You've got to go talk to the little robot in Oerba in order to get the trophy, just like the Pulsian Pioneer one.

Kai Ozu said:
I don't agree with that, what did you all want from the ending?

I liked the ending,
it was just a little too confusing and a little too short, as people have been saying.

Content wise it ticked all the boxes.

ULTROS!

Kai Ozu said:
I don't agree with that, what did you all want from the ending? The premise of the story didn't really allow them to go much further. Maybe it helped that I went into this game with extremely low expectations.

I had rock bottom expectation (yeah, I came to believe this game won't be so good) and still couldn't understand what happened (I eventually did after tracing what actually happened). :lol

ULTROS! said:
I had rock bottom expectation (yeah, I came to believe this game won't be so good) and still couldn't understand what happened (I eventually did after tracing what actually happened). :lol

It makes sense once you know what the hell is going on.

:lol

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Ack, looks like I'm gonna need quite a bit of gil still to do this Treasure Hunter achievement.

How much gil does it require to buy the necessary parts to upgrade an accessory? I assume most are pretty easy to upgrade?

Also, what's a quick way of getting Perovskite or Adamantite apart from purchasing it?

C.T.

rataven said:
Don't forget to talk to the
robot in Oerba
. I think that's what activates the trophy. And if you're missing anything, he'll hint that there's are still items out there you need to find.

I did that and he said I'm missing something. Can't figure out what though and I already sold upgraded items for money. It sucks they don't tell you what's missing with such a trophy...

Minamu

djtiesto said:
Ack, looks like I'm gonna need quite a bit of gil still to do this Treasure Hunter achievement.

How much gil does it require to buy the necessary parts to upgrade an accessory? I assume most are pretty easy to upgrade?

Also, what's a quick way of getting Perovskite or Adamantite apart from purchasing it?
I don't know if I've been corrected but around 45 platinum ingots worth 150k a piece should be enough. You're gonna be killing Adamantortoises for many hours my friend :D There's only one single enemy in the game that drops Perovskites & the drop rate is lower than ingots so you're better of just buying them. And you don't have a choice when it comes to Adamantites. Buy them & smile :) Exp for upgrading ranges from 500 to 400k or so. Have fun :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom