• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

rataven

C.T. said:
I did that and he said I'm missing something. Can't figure out what though and I already sold upgraded items for money. It sucks they don't tell you what's missing with such a trophy...
Each character has a weapon that can only be bought from the Gilgamesh store. And those each need to be upgraded. And there's also a bangle that seems to get missed fairly often. It has to be purchased from the B&W store, unless you transform the bangle before it. I think it's the titanium bangle, can't remember for sure.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I finished the game yesterday and i thought the same. I was like... that is ? Was expecting something more. The story wasnt great, and it even got worst by the end.

Also, i guess my party was over developped because it took me like 3min total to kill the end boss :lol

cosmicblizzard said:
Why? It was great in MGS4 and it would be great here. Anything to give the game more closure is A-ok in my book.

And then Jihl would show up to explain away some plotholes in order to stop Lightning from committing suicide, only to die in front of Yaag's grave.

Oh wait, that ending sucked.

Fimbulvetr said:
And then Jihl would show up to explain away some plotholes in order to stop Lightning from committing suicide, only to die in front of Yaag's grave.

Oh wait, that ending sucked.

I seem to be the only person on the forum that liked that. Of course I'd take shoddy explanations over a beloved character committing suicide any day. Also, the music was friggin awesome.

Yes, I know Snake dies anyway off camera. Let me live in my fantasy world where he lives until Rising comes out!

C.T.

rataven said:
Each character has a weapon that can only be bought from the Gilgamesh store. And those each need to be upgraded. And there's also a bangle that seems to get missed fairly often. It has to be purchased from the B&W store, unless you transform the bangle before it. I think it's the titanium bangle, can't remember for sure.

Did that already. Bar fire/water etc. and entite ring too and all the debuff protect rings. Anyway I start to 5 star the missions now.

BeeDog

FUCKING SHAOLONG GUIS! Jesus christ I must have the worst luck ever when it comes to Dark Matters, I've killed 6 Shaolongs and only have one of them.

:mad:

eznark

Banned
marathonfool said:
Go Fang/Snow/Hope

SAB/SEN/SYN

Then SAB/RAV/RAV

Stagger, build with SAB/RAV/RAV

Then switch to COM/COM/RAV

Switch to SEN/SEN/MED for healing
Switch to SAB/SEN/SYN for buff/debuff
Switch to COM/SEN/MED for removing debuffs or use items to remove debuffs

Use Summons when you're in deep trouble.
Use shrouds if you are getting doom'd.
Always stay buffed and always keep the boss debuffed
Use magic/physical resistance accessories so you can stay aggressive and heal less.

FUCK YES! This worked perfectly, beat it in 11:04. Thanks dude.

rocksolidaudio said:
alright, hopping back in here for some advice.

i'm nearing the end (i think?
right outside Orphan's Cradle
), and i haven't ever touched any of the upgrading stuff - it just seemed like a hassle and it was my understanding that you could get by fine without it.

but things are getting a bit tough, and since i assume i won't be collecting more weapons for the most part, i'll feel better about putting points into the ones that i have. so...any tips for this process? should i FAQ it up to really get my component's worth? i really have no idea where to start since it seems like a crapshoot without some guidance.

thanks!

so...any help with this? i really don't know where to start. FAQs aren't helpful since they just seem to be lists of components and such, when i don't understand the actual process behind it.

Combine

Banned
Holy shit was chapter 5 so god damn boring and monotonous.
Lightning and Hope in that Crystal forest level. God damn was that place just so linearly repetitive and you felt like you were going nowhere because all the landmarks and assets in the level looked exactly the same. Piss poor level design by Square. Only the environment assets themselves were really good if you stopped to look at them closely. Although I think a lot of it was unnecessary since most players will probably never stop to look at them so closely.

Hope (lol) this gets better soon. Chapter 6 so far isn't looking any better with
Vanille still being utterly annoying

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
I barely got this today and so far I fuckin hate this game so much especially the progression in the beginning. Its frustrating!!!!!

I really hated that I had to play so many characters for like 10 min before it switched to another group of characters repetitiously for about an hour. Also all those damn cutscenes that cut into the action. Its bothersome that I fight some soldiers then cut into some CG show for some time and resume playing to another charcter who I don't even freakin know or want to play with. It literally threw me off balance.

I was thinking that the main characters will be grouped since the start but I found it extremely tedious that and dumb that I have to go through such painful pointless adventure to get them together in such a dull and claustrophobic environment. As of now, Im not having much fun with the game especially the battle system. It's too simplistic and confusing with the auto battle and that my characters always have full HP in every battle instead me having to heal them. Also...how do the charcters level up??? I've fought shitload of enemies and nothings changed 'cept a few upgraded weapons.,,,I don't know..Im just really frustrated playing this game....a final fantasy game dammit!! This is the 1st FF game to give me so much trouble....*sighs* I don't know what else to say..so..

Please tell me it gets better later on....
:/

Gattsu25

Banned
rocksolidaudio said:
so...any help with this? i really don't know where to start. FAQs aren't helpful since they just seem to be lists of components and such, when i don't understand the actual process behind it.
Group components by type.

Get a high multiplier by using beast parts (components with an icon that looks like fangs, I guess). Get your multiplier up to 3X.

Then use mechanical components (screw icon) to level up with your 3X multiplier. Note that it's better off if you use a high quantity of items (at once) to build up or use your multiplier (e.g. if an item only needs 10 bomb cores to build up a 3X multiplier, don't use 30). Don't use too much though. It's a juggling act and the math is never shown so you just have to get a feel for it.

When you get the item to its max level the level indicator will be replaced with a star. Then you need to use a single special component (forget what the icon looks like off hand) to upgrade the weapon the next tier.

Each weapon has 3 tiers. The EXP (or EXP multiplier) that each item gives you varies per weapon as well as per weapon tier.

Good luck.
Verano said:
Please tell me it gets better later on....
:/
It does but you won't enjoy it. You haven't unlocked the ability to upgrade characters yet. You seem to have an awfully short fuse. Might as well return it now before you have an aneurysm.

Styles

Gattsu25 said:
Good luck.It does but you won't enjoy it. You haven't unlocked the ability to upgrade characters yet. You seem to have an awfully short fuse. Might as well return it now before you have an aneurysm.

I concur, have you not read what's been said in this thread so far ON this page? :lol

I like the game myself. It's a great game, just not outstanding

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Rahxephon91 said:
hmm?

VII's ending makes since
VIII's ending is still nice even if its confusing.
IX's ending is great
X's ending is the best
XII's ending is kind of lackluster but still makes sense.

Nope, XIII's is pretty terrible in the the last parts of the game seem to make no sense and kind of go against what was going on before.

VII - was confusing & had plot holes.
VIII.....
IX - a random last boss comes out of nowhere to test the team & then just leaves.
X - same as FFVII.
XII - a hulked up emperor & the deal with those spirit things that never really was expanded on in detail.

FFXIII is in line with the rest.

Lightning

Banned
Combine said:
Holy shit was chapter 5 so god damn boring and monotonous.
Lightning and Hope in that Crystal forest level. God damn was that place just so linearly repetitive and you felt like you were going nowhere because all the landmarks and assets in the level looked exactly the same. Piss poor level design by Square. Only the environment assets themselves were really good if you stopped to look at them closely. Although I think a lot of it was unnecessary since most players will probably never stop to look at them so closely.

Hope (lol) this gets better soon. Chapter 6 so far isn't looking any better with
Vanille still being utterly annoying
Get use to that.

Chapters
7, 9, 10 (Fuck I hate this chapter), 12, 13 (I really HATE this chapter) are all like that.

Dresden

cosmicblizzard said:
I seem to be the only person on the forum that liked that. Of course I'd take shoddy explanations over a beloved character committing suicide any day. Also, the music was friggin awesome.

Yes, I know Snake dies anyway off camera. Let me live in my fantasy world where he lives until Rising comes out!
Nano'cie.

I wonder if ten years down the line, people will see XIII as the turning point in Square Enix's design philosophy. Of course, I'm not going to guess if the turn they took was positive or negative.

Gattsu25 said:
Group components by type.

Get a high multiplier by using beast parts (components with an icon that looks like fangs, I guess). Get your multiplier up to 3X.

Then use mechanical components (screw icon) to level up with your 3X multiplier. Note that it's better off if you use a high quantity of items (at once) to build up or use your multiplier (e.g. if an item only needs 10 bomb cores to build up a 3X multiplier, don't use 30). Don't use too much though. It's a juggling act and the math is never shown so you just have to get a feel for it.

When you get the item to its max level the level indicator will be replaced with a star. Then you need to use a single special component (forget what the icon looks like off hand) to upgrade the weapon the next tier.

Each weapon has 3 tiers. The EXP (or EXP multiplier) that each item gives you varies per weapon as well as per weapon tier.

thank you sir, much appreciated. you summed it up far better than the FAQs i've been trudging through.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Mo0 said:
If nothing else, the music needs to keep going in FFXIII's direction.
Absolutely.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Mo0 said:
If nothing else, the music needs to keep going in FFXIII's direction.
Definitely.. the one aspect of XIII I'd consider a full success. Music taste is subjective, sure... but that soundtrack is beautiful, sophisticated, and post-modern as hell... being a mix of classic and modern genres.

The one good thing about the post-Uematsu FFs is that they appear to choose different composers for each project. That's just wonderful for giving each entry a unique feel.. and sure, they can invite the old composers back, here and there, as the individual game dictates.

FTWer said:
VII - was confusing & had plot holes.
VIII.....
IX - a random last boss comes out of nowhere to test the team & then just leaves.
X - same as FFVII.
XII - a hulked up emperor & the deal with those spirit things that never really was expanded on in detail.

FFXIII is in line with the rest.

Endings, not final bosses.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Pre-emptive strike + Magic that Attacks all + Cerberus formation will probably work. :p

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Scythian Empire said:
How the fuck am I supposed to kill three Tonberries at once?
Go in the battle with full shrouds PLUS pre-emptive shroud. Kill of one of the tonberries quick (since it's got 999 stagger). Then debuff the second one and continue from there.

I tried that, but the stagger ran out too fast. Those things have too much HP. I tried throwing a summon at them as well but still couldn't kill them quick enough.

:(

NameIess

If you stagger them and then perform the summons once all three are staggered you should kill at least one and another should be heavily damaged. Finish off the 2nd one before he can regain his health and then finish off the last one by debuff & buffing your squad.

I managed to do it and my squad is not that maxed out and I'm using tier 2 weapons...

Trying to get some traps to max out the weapons and then finish the game.
It's incredibly frustrating trying to obtain traps when you do not have a maxed out team.

I'm close to giving up and just finishing the game, but I enjoy the combat engine and would like to see the ultimate weapons.

eznark

Banned
So after I beat the boss in 11 I went back to Cocoon. Does that mean I can't do the quests in the big ass field on Grand Pulse (or wherever I was...I have no clue what is going on in the story).

Synless

eznark said:
So after I beat the boss in 11 I went back to Cocoon. Does that mean I can't do the quests in the big ass field on Grand Pulse (or wherever I was...I have no clue what is going on in the story).
There is a place shortly before the final boss I believe that allows you to go back. There are these teleporting mirror looking things that can take you there. I could be wrong though.

NameIess

I believe after you finish the game you can still go back to Gran Pulse and complete the missions. I could be wrong, but I think I read that somewhere...

Synless

NameIess said:
I believe after you finish the game you can still go back to Gran Pulse and complete the missions. I could be wrong, but I think I read that somewhere...
Yes, you can do it 100% after you beat the game. However, I think that you can do it right before the last boss too.

Zoe

Yoshichan said:
Go in the battle with full shrouds PLUS pre-emptive shroud. Kill of one of the tonberries quick (since it's got 999 stagger). Then debuff the second one and continue from there.

You don't need the pre-emptive shroud. If you use a little patience, it's really easy to sneak up on them.

I always got it by pre-empting w/ the shroud that gives haste and then spamming Hope's Last Resort until the stagger runs out.

eznark

Banned
Synless said:
Yes, you can do it 100% after you beat the game. However, I think that you can do it right before the last boss too.
That'd be nice, I'd like to have a new, interesting place to level up to avoid the week long annoyance that was the Chapter 11 boss (of course I only battled him three times but the first two were so annoying I needed days in between).

Choopy

Neo Member
Scythian Empire said:
How the fuck am I supposed to kill three Tonberries at once?

Pre-empt (shroud if you must) and Ruinga+Blitz the middle one. It staggered all 3. Then they gathered to attack Light, so Fang/Light started spamming Blitz. Hope was in the back spamming aoe spells. All was said and done in about 15-20 seconds :lol

BeeDog

Does anyone know how a weapon/accessory affects the target times? Is it only the item Tier level (e.g. Lightning Tier 1->2 shift) that affects the target time, or do the levels inbetween (e.g. Axis Blade lvl. 6 has a lower target time than Axis Blade lvl. 1)?

CloakedPuppet said:
So, I went back and forth on picking this up over the last month. On one hand, I've read the reviews and comments that slam the new and more linear approach of this game - on the other, I've seen people praise how fantastic and rewarding it is once things click in the second half. Given that most folks report around a 60 hour game, that's no little amount of time. That kind of commitment was another thing that made the decision a little tough - espceially given my current backlog. :lol

The one thing that tipped the scales for me is that I'm a complete sucker for great art direction in games. This is the overwhelming factor that has made every MGS game a day one purchase for me. Having previously experienced XII as my first Final Fantasy game (gasp!), I knew that this series had excellent design and presentation in spades. After seeing some hi-def videos of the PS3 version, I couldn't hold out any longer.

...and this is easily some of the finest art direction I've seen in a videogame to date. Every little detail in this game speaks to the massive amount of care, attention and talent that went into its creation. This is all presented with such breathtaking fidelity that I'm constantly just grinning at the screen.

It may sound weird but I find myself enjoying Final Fantasy XIII more or less exclusively for the visuals alone. It's almost like a piece of interactive art that I'm just eating up. Believe it or not, everything is else in the game is pretty much secondary to me at this point.

I think that this is the first game that I've played that I'm enjoying almost despite it's story or gameplay (both of which are very slow burns at this point). It's also the perfect compliment to the action games and shooters that I'm currently playing. Now, I realize that I may be in for a bit of a challenging ride with FFXIII - but, so far, I'm thoroughly enjoying every moment of it.

Yeah, I have been a big ff fan for years, and visuals have become half the reason I play the games...its certainly not pure anime...FF has its own style - very, very slick.

Choopy

Neo Member
BeeDog said:
Does anyone know how a weapon/accessory affects the target times? Is it only the item Tier level (e.g. Lightning Tier 1->2 shift) that affects the target time, or do the levels inbetween (e.g. Axis Blade lvl. 6 has a lower target time than Axis Blade lvl. 1)?

I remember reading it was STR levels that affect target times.
So Axis Blade lvl. 6 would yield a lower target time than lvl. 1, although probably by a tiny amount.

eznark said:
That'd be nice, I'd like to have a new, interesting place to level up to avoid the week long annoyance that was the Chapter 11 boss (of course I only battled him three times but the first two were so annoying I needed days in between).

You get the option to go back to Pulse shortly after the Ch. 12 boss.

BeeDog

Choopy said:
I remember reading it was STR levels that affect target times.
So Axis Blade lvl. 6 would yield a lower target time than lvl. 1, although probably by a tiny amount.

Alright, thanks!

This game is atrocious

Lost Oddyssey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> this filth

Im 30 hours in and its only getting worse, im just playing for achievments now

Dresden

Drealmcc0y said:
This game is atrocious

It always confuses me when people invest so much time into things they hate. Especially for pointless achievements or trophies that no one gives a fuck about.

Drealmcc0y said:
This game is atrocious

So you spent 30 hours playing FFXIII and you dislike it? Sorry but its better then a game that takes 30hours just to load.

Dresden said:
It always confuses me when people invest so much time into things they hate. Especially for pointless achievements or trophies that no one gives a fuck about.

Wasn't there a shitty game people only bought because getting its achievements were easy.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
darkjedi187 said:
has anyone noticed a bug with the trophies. I got the trophy for finishing ch12 at the begining of 12 and nothing at the start of ch13.

You don't get a trophy for that.

Dresden said:

I sold my PS3 and bought my 360 the same day it went multiplat at E3 2008 because of this game, i might as well finish it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom