• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Drealmcc0y said:
I sold my PS3 and bought my 360 the same day it went multiplat at E3 2008 because of this game, i might as well finish it
Or if you hate it so much, you could sell your copy of FFXIII and get something more worthwhile to play, like Resonance of Fate.

Birbo

Don't know if it's been posted, but FFXIII will be on sale for $29.99 @ K-Mart from May 4-10:

http://blogs.mykmart.com/
(stolen from CAG)

I have a huge backlog and haven't played a FF since Vii, but that price is so tempting. I still have RPGs like Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect and Valkyria Chronicles I haven't touched.

Zoe

Drealmcc0y said:
I sold my PS3 and bought my 360 the same day it went multiplat at E3 2008 because of this game, i might as well finish it

Surely you've bought other games on the 360 to have made that worth it?

Mo0

Rahxephon91 said:
So you spent 30 hours playing FFXIII and you dislike it? Sorry but its better then a game that takes 30hours just to load.
Lost Odyssey doesn't have any worse load issues than FFXIII does, really.

MNC

Okay...

Love the battle system

Love the graphics

Storyline is very confusing and silly

When does my party get together again? Right now I'm controlling Lightning with Hope as partner in that blue forest bit. So after the Hope controlling bit. And I want my party to form up again; I want to control 3 characters damnit.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Lesson to learn: Don't buy a console for just one game. ^_^

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
MNC said:
Okay...

Love the battle system

Love the graphics

When does my party get together again? Right now I'm controlling Lightning with Hope as partner in that blue forest bit. So after the Hope controlling bit. And I want my party to form up again; I want to control 3 characters damnit.

Chapter 9.

MNC said:

You don't get the ability to choose your own party until Ch.
, but you'll get to control 3 characters again from Ch.

Mo0

MNC said:
Okay...

Love the battle system

Love the graphics

The party makeup is fluid throughout Chapter
, but most of the time you're using 3 characters after the Hope part.

It basically splits into Lightning/Snow/Hope/Fang and Sazh/Vanille, with more time spent on the four guys rather than the two.

Gattsu25

Banned
rocksolidaudio said:
thank you sir, much appreciated. you summed it up far better than the FAQs i've been trudging through.
No problem. I couldn't understand the system so I checked the FAQs and had the same problem you did. I went out and even bought the Guide and still couldn't figure it out. (Also asked here)

In the end, my brother gave me a 4 minute over the phone explanation (he figured it out on his own) and I was surprised at how simple the whole system really was.

It was just so. badly. explained.

BeeDog

Fucking finally. Only have to kill a Long Gui now to get the Platinum, phew. Having to 5-star the missions I didn't nail on the first try was tedious.

Oli

Can someone help me out before I move on? I'm in the final chapter, so obvious spoilers.

I just beat the second "arena" battle thing in Chapter 13, and currently the red floaty dude is in front of me. First of all, should I be concerned about saving in here? I've been using a single save and I don't want to get trapped, since I plan to return to Pulse after beating the final boss. So is it cool to keep overwriting my save, or is there a point where I can't go back? Also, how much farther before the final boss (when will I know it's the final boss) because I'm tired of going to the Crystarium for every little bit of CP Iget, just in case the final fight is coming up.

Mo0

Rahxephon91 said:
Did we play the same game? Obviously not.
I don't recall the load times in Lost Odyssey being that bad! :(

It could be the amount of time I've spent lately grinding the Chapter 12 hallway, with its irritating door loading that I have to keep going through. And that I haven't played LO in a long time.

Oli

Do people really think the FFXIII load times are bad? I'm playing with it installed on the 360 and I barely notice them.

Mo0

Oli said:
Can someone help me out before I move on? I'm in the final chapter, so obvious spoilers.

I just beat the second "arena" battle thing in Chapter 13, and currently the red floaty dude is in front of me. First of all, should I be concerned about saving in here? I've been using a single save and I don't want to get trapped, since I plan to return to Pulse after beating the final boss. So is it cool to keep overwriting my save, or is there a point where I can't go back? Also, how much farther before the final boss (when will I know it's the final boss) because I'm tired of going to the Crystarium for every little bit of CP Iget, just in case the final fight is coming up.
When you beat the game, you get the chance to make a "game over" save, which puts you at the save point right before the end boss but with the 10th level of the Crystarium unlocked.

If you want to go to Pulse BEFORE that save point, just know that the portal that takes you there is right in between the two portals you've already seen that take you to Pulse and Eden. Once you are able to get back to those three portals, you can save there or on Pulse or whatever, and come back whenever you like.

I don't think they're *bad*, I just don't think of them as any worse than LO's. I think that's fuzzy memory on my part more than anything, though.

Oli

Well, I just beat the game, clocking in at exactly 59 hours, 52 minutes, and 16 seconds. Phew.

Now for my final thoughts:

First of all I think I'll address this, was the last boss really easy for anyone else? I'll admit I was amply leveled, but I was on many other fights and struggled through them. The final stage made me nervous with the timer, but I staggered the little bugger once then wailed on him until that bar sunk to zero. Got my achievement for 5 starring him.

At any rate, the game. I came into this extremely skeptical. I've never played another Final Fantasy before, save for the spin-off Crystal Chronicles, which I liked for it's presentation but not so much for it's gameplay. So coming in I was afraid of being overwhelmed by the deepness of it or something. Not to mention many were ragging on the game prior to release. But man, my first hours of this game were bliss. I enjoyed every bit of it. I understand people being frustrated by the slowness of the progression and unlocking, but it hit just the right note with me.

And so I played, 10 hours, 20 hours, 30 hours, 40 hours, still enjoying myself every bit as much as the first few minutes. This in itself is surprising, because lately I've been giving up on games midway. I lose interest, but this game kept me going. I was disappointed by the fewer story sequences in Chapter 11, but I was kept moving by the battle system, which I was finally getting a mastery over. And OH how good the battling is. Just coming out of Tales of Vesperia, literally a week before I started this game, the battles felt so nice. I disliked the ToV system, but FFXIII was perfect for me. The little touches of strategy and timing just makes it fun, even after countless battles.

Overall, I just love this game. I realize people will disagree with me, but I just can't help it. I've had more fun playing through this game than any in recent memory. And the fact that it took 60 hours, and I'm still craving for more is indicative to me of just how much I like this game. Call me crazy, I don't care, because I will no doubt be off to play it again, playing more missions, fighting more battles, and squeezing more hours out of this one.

And with that, I tip my hat.

Oli

cosmicblizzard said:
Glad you liked it Oli. Nice to see some positivity in this thread.

Yep, I've been avoiding this thread like the plague since I got the game, didn't want spoilers or negativity to bring me down. But now I've got my concreted opinions in place, so I can see what's up in here.

It's kind of funny the cycle games go through. Announcement - Hype - Impending Release - Negativity - Release - Hype - Post Release - Negativity

I've seen it for many of my favorite games, so I won't get my underwear in a bunch over some haters in here.

Lightning

Banned
Does anyone know the music for the
Barthandelus
fights/scenes and where can I get it?

I have the sound track you get with the Collectors Edition but unless I am missing something it isn't on there.

That piece of music is absolutely awesome.

It's probably on the full OST release, the 4-disc one. If not, then I believe FFXIII OST Plus is what you're looking for there. Leave it to Squenix to release a game soundtrack twice with additional tracks on the second release. They should have called it FFXIII OST International + Barthandelus Tracks. :lol

Pooya

Lightning said:
Does anyone know the music for the
Barthandelus
fights/scenes and where can I get it?

I have the sound track you get with the Collectors Edition but unless I am missing something it isn't on there.

That piece of music is absolutely awesome.
it's "Fighting Fate" disc 3 track 17.

h3ro

OK, so I'm into Chapter 5 and I'm enjoying myself. I had just had that moment where the battle system suddenly clicks and is totally fluid. Great fun. The audio and visuals are fantastic.

Question though, I'm a little confused about weapon upgrades. I know I should wait, but could someone give me a list of which weapon for which character I should build up/which will lead to the best stats for a typical player?

Oli

h3ro said:
OK, so I'm into Chapter 5 and I'm enjoying myself. I had just had that moment where the battle system suddenly clicks and is totally fluid. Great fun. The audio and visuals are fantastic.

Question though, I'm a little confused about weapon upgrades. I know I should wait, but could someone give me a list of which weapon for which character I should build up/which will lead to the best stats for a typical player?

From what I understand, and I may not at all, there is no ultimate weapon necessarily. They are all pretty even, it's just a matter of which effect you like best. Personally I ended up using some of the last weapons I picked up, upgraded them to max levels, and did just fine.

The weapon/accessory upgrade system was my least favorite part of the game. Which is good I guess since it's pretty much avoidable if you aren't interested.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I've given up on my Platinum. :(

Way too much time to invest and doesn't feel rewarding. Which is odd because I enjoyed grinding for my Demon's Souls plat.

Oli

Zerokku said:
Are you going to go back and play any of the older FFs now Oli?

I'd definitely like to. I don't own a PS1 or PS2 though which puts me at a clear disadvantage. I REALLY want to play VI but don't have the means at the moment, other than FFVI Advance which runs for a bit too much these days.

Dresden

Oli said:
I'd definitely like to. I don't own a PS1 or PS2 though which puts me at a clear disadvantage. I REALLY want to play VI but don't have the means at the moment, other than FFVI Advance which runs for a bit too much these days.
PSN+Nintendo DS=almost every FF at your fingertips.

Loving the game so far, the battle system is really cool even though the story is pretty meh so far. I just got to the part where Lightning, Hope and
Fang
meet back up.

Is it even worth it to upgrade the early weapons if you are going to get better one's later on? I just don't want to drop 15 levels into a weapon and another better end game comes along and it's a waste.

BeeDog

MWS Natural said:
Is it even worth it to upgrade the early weapons if you are going to get better one's later on? I just don't want to drop 15 levels into a weapon and another better end game comes along and I it's a waste.

Don't even bother upgrading stuff until right before the end-game, or even after finishing the game. I started upgrading shit after finishing the last boss, and never found the end parts hard.

Oli

Dresden said:
PSN+Nintendo DS=almost every FF at your fingertips.

If only I had access to PSN :(

I do aspire to buy a PS3 someday though, at which point I'll likely go berserk on Final Fantasy overload.

BeeDog said:
Don't even bother upgrading stuff until right before the end-game, or even after finishing the game. I started upgrading shit after finishing the last boss, and never found the end parts hard.

You went through the whole game w/o upgrading weapons? Oh damn...I have like 3 LVL 8+ weapons already, I thought it was a major part. Did you get 5 stars for most of your battles or does that even matter really??

Dresden

Oli said:
If only I had access to PSN :(

I do aspire to buy a PS3 someday though, at which point I'll likely go berserk on Final Fantasy overload.
Huh, that sucks.

You might want to see if you can acquire a PS2 for cheap, instead.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
MWS Natural said:
Loving the game so far, the battle system is really cool even though the story is pretty meh so far. I just got to the part where Lightning, Hope and
Fang
meet back up.

Is it even worth it to upgrade the early weapons if you are going to get better one's later on? I just don't want to drop 15 levels into a weapon and another better end game comes along and it's a waste.

Not really, unless you want the treasure hunter trophy. Gladius is the only early weapon I would upgrade.

Oli

miladesn said:

Nope, though I have considered it. The problem is that I feel once I'm investing near 200 bucks, I should just go all the way and buy the console.

Weird logic I know.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Drealmcc0y said:
because PS3 sucks

It sucks so much, it's the only system with the high definition version of this game! And is right now the only one getting two other HD Final Fantasy games this generation. Am I right?

BeeDog

MWS Natural said:
You went through the whole game w/o upgrading weapons? Oh damn...I have like 3 LVL 8+ weapons already, I thought it was a major part. Did you get 5 stars for most of your battles or does that even matter really??

By using higher-level weapons, you actually make the target time lower, thereby making it harder to attain good battle ratings. I just learned to fight the different enemies effectively, thus gaining 5 stars in most encounters. :) Trust me, don't bother upgrading shit until late/after endgame. The only thing getting 5 stars is good for is to regain TP and farm some rare drops (which you won't do anyway until after finishing the game), and since summons are pretty worthless in this game, 5-starring battles ain't that important.

But don't sweat it, lvl. 8 weapons (that are still Tier 1) barely affect anything.

h3ro

Rahxephon91 said:
First you think Lost Odyssey is better and then this. What colorful wrong opinions you have!

LO gave me more of a Final Fantasy vibe than this game did. But yeah, that's a joke account or something.

JAVK

Umm noob question guys...

I just started the game yesterday and I have been collecting alot of items, like fluids and credits etc.

Just wondering if I can do anything with them, or should I sell them to the shops?

Also I've been using Vanille as medic for nearly every battle is that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom