• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Dead said:
So far this is definitely the most engaging start to a Final Fantasy game since 7. The game is really beautiful as well, and god damn the music. This might end up being my favorite Final Fantasy OST ever if it keeps up the same level of quality.

Loving the hell out of the battle system as well, and can't wait for even more options to open up

The story, like I said, so far its definitely engaging, no complaints. Datalog is a nice suplement. And as far as characters...

Sazh > Vanille > Lightening > Snow > Hope
Vanille in second place? I'd even put Hope above her (as of chapter 7).

bdizzle said:
I only got an hour in, but not much to report. CGI was stunning, graphics look great. Story is pretty slow obviously but I'm assuming it'd pick up. After Uncharted level of voice acting, the acting isn't up to par, but FF has never been known for that. Glad the wait is over and I can just level up and enjoy.
Well, except FF12. I'm still surprised by the step back in that area, considering the extreme level of polish in all other aspects of the presentation.

DigitalDevil said:
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Checked my release date delivery tracking number on UPS this morning and saw this... "A FLIGHT DELAY OCCURRED BECAUSE OF MECHANICAL REASONS"

it's in my state (georgia) but WHAT DOES IT MEAN OH GOD???

My fear is that at my apartment place that when UPS delivers it that the lady in the office isnt there to let them in to drop off the package. ITs happened before and UPS did like 3 atempts of delivery.

Hopefully the flight delay was just a short one

Lyonaz

Castor Krieg said:
Can anyone confirm that Color Jelly (彩りゼリー) is called Fragrant Oil in the English version? Also what's the name for Ultra-compact Fusion Reactors (超小型融合炉) in English version?

Color Jelly = Vibrant Ooze 80 gil a piece.

Don't know what the Ultra-compact Fusion Reactors are called yet. But I do know the Perfect Conductor boost a shitload at 3x bonus. I upgraded my Gladius Lv.1 to a Helter-skelter Lv. 21 yesterday for Lightning, she's been kicking ass ever since.

LCfiner

Shadow780 said:
YEAH GIVE IT TO ME!

and WTF at the overwhelming positive impression, where are the doom & gloom before release?:lol

The first few hours of game threads are always like this :lol

although, i gotta admit that they're pushing me toward picking this up now.

Picked up my copy for €40 in Game :D .
That's really cheap for a new release, really really cheap. Seems to have been a kind of retail bidding war here.

Don't know when I'll get to play it :-o

Durante said:
This is one of the few games I prefer to play with the HUD removed, it's far too beautiful to be staring at the minimap.

Is one of the few games this gen, that I had to stop "playing" to admire the locations, soooo beautiful.(yeah even on the 360 version)

No classes today either in the uni, thanks to the ice, yes! more FF XIII!!!

And there's a lot of positive reactions, right now, but this is a game you'll love or you'll hate, it's a very diferent take on the JRPG genre, that probably will cause the same reaction as FFXII.

Zeouterlimits said:
Picked up my copy for €40 in Game :D .
That's really cheap for a new release, really really cheap. Seems to have been a kind of retail bidding war here.

Don't know when I'll get to play it :-o

The fuck, is 65-70€ here, damn retail prices suuuuuucks here, I already decided that this will be the last game I buy here, everything else will be UK import.

Ponn

Banned
Game is so awesome. Almost finished with chapter one. My midnight opening at Gamestop was pppppacked! Standing room only. I would say about 3 times as many people as were there for the Mass Effect 2 midnight opening. If I had to guesstimate I would say about equal in people buying either versions with a slight lead to PS3 copies.

Funnily enough though with all this talk of being linear there was a shitload of people buying games with guides at the same time and my gamestop even ran out of their copies of the CE HC guide at their MSRP of 35 (with 10percent discount for buying with game).

Oh and SAZH IS THE SHIT! Holy crap I laughed out loud when he was climbing down from something and said "I'm getting too old for this shit" He's like Murtough to Lightnings Riggs:lol

MaddMastaMike

Neo Member
I had low expectations for a FF series game, but after 2 hours of gameplay play I may have the ole FF hooks in me.

So far I am really digging the:
  1. faster turnbased battle
  2. cheesy jrpg convos "Heroes dont run Yar!!!!"
  3. lighting's non j-pop attitude
  4. hd graphics
  5. and sci fi/final fantasy enemies (behamoth beta)

I think this may tear me away from wkc and may delay my RoF play thru next week
or not.....may end up playing them all in some weird spastic rotation
:lol

Really hoping my copy of Yakuza 3 doesn't turn up today, liking this a lot more than I thought I would.

The battle system is just great, but that battle song starts to grind on your nerves :lol

Shouta

Dead said:
Hmmm just got done playing the game. Got to the start of chapter 4. Loving it :D

So far this is definitely the most engaging start to a Final Fantasy game since 7. The game is really beautiful as well, and god damn the music. This might end up being my favorite Final Fantasy OST ever if it keeps up the same level of quality.

Loving the hell out of the battle system as well, and can't wait for even more options to open up :D

The story, like I said, so far its definitely engaging, no complaints. Datalog is a nice suplement. And as far as characters...

Sazh > Vanille > Lightening > Snow > Hope

That would probably be my ranking as of the start of chapter 4.

It definitely has a pretty engaging start. In fact, it's pretty engaging up until Chapter 9 or 10ish.

Dead

well not really...yet
Ponn01 said:
Game is so awesome. Almost finished with chapter one. My midnight opening at Gamestop was pppppacked! Standing room only. I would say about 3 times as many people as where there for the Mass Effect 2 midnight opening. If I had to guesstimate I would say about equal in people buying either versions with a slight lead to PS3 copies. Funnily enough though with all this talk of being linear there was a shitload of people buying games with guides at the same time and my gamestop even ran out of their copies of the CE HC guide at their MSRP of 35 (with 10percent discount for buying with game).

Oh and SAZH IS THE SHIT! Holy crap I laughed out loud when he was climbing down from something and said "I'm getting too old for this shit" He's like Murtough to Lightnings Riggs:lol
I was really surprised. This was the busiest gamestop midnight release i've seen (well Ive only been to like 2 before, but still)

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
So how many weeks till Gaf backlash :D

*edit* forgot the word how *edit*

Erasus

Got the LE today! PS3 version, delicous graphics :D

I love it! Battle system is a bit boring now (Chapter 1) but I still like it! The menus are friggin awesome and the game looks so good!

I really like the datalog, give you great info, just like Mass Effect

Shuusui

It's so exciting to see people play through the game. I only finished it two months ago, but all this posts are making me knuckle down and buy the western release.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
This and Evangelion 1.11 BD are both on truck for delivery right now. Finished Heavy Rain last week and Gundam Unicorn BD is set to arrive on Friday and God of War 3 next Tuesday

I <3 my PS3!!!!!!!!!!

Lyonaz

The game is story driven up to chapter 10 then you get to this new place and your like:

"Woohoo hunting missions! Let me do some! Damn these missions sent me all over the place, shit I think I'm lost?!
Hmm that looks like an easy mob. < You die> Ok, maybe some other time, Oooh another mission. <10 minutes later> where the fuck am I now?"

Yeah maybe I should just head to the next story event. Loving the place though. Easy to get distracted.:D

BocoDragon said:
THIS IS HILARIOUS!!

The first guy in line for FFXIII at my EB Games' midnight launch is a PIMP! Funniest thing I've ever seen.. Note the top hat (with playing cards in it), ANGEL WINGS, pimp cane, shades... Lol this is too funny. :lol

I didn't snap the pic, but this cool chick in line went up and snapped it. He was pissed!! :lol

6d6b2796.jpg

Picking my copy up today but why oh why is there a POOP BANK, next to him on the floor!? W...T....F!

Glad to see all your impressions though guys. Keep it up.

OK so how do I log into that FFXIV beta site?

I'm getting to the Square ID and password screen, enter my details and press log in... to get the same page displayed again. Can't get past it.

Audioboxer87 said:
Really hoping my copy of Yakuza 3 doesn't turn up today, liking this a lot more than I thought I would.

The battle system is just great, but that battle song starts to grind on your nerves :lol

I love the battle song, it's my favorite track of the game.

matmanx1

FFXIII is a gorgeous, gorgeous game. Even having played the demo last year and seen some videos I really wasn't prepared for just how good the image quality would be. Hat's off to Square for making one of the best looking console games I've ever seen!

The music is also awesome and since I've had the LE OST for awhile it's nice to be able to put gameplay with the music I'm already familiar with. I think Hamauzu's work is spot on for this game and fits perfectly.

Only downside for me so far is Vanille. What's up with the way she runs? Did they HAVE to animate her like that? I consider myself to be a pretty open minded male without macho or gender bias but the way she runs makes even ME uncomfortable. Oh well, gotta be at least one "funky" character in every cast, right?

Shuusui said:
It's so exciting to see people play through the game. I only finished it two months ago, but all this posts are making me knuckle down and buy the western release.

Yeah. I was resisting getting it in English after clearing it in Japanese, but I might end up buying it if I keep reading this thread.

I'm sure I won't be finishing it a second time though.

I wonder if the
final boss still casts that random insta-death-with-no-countdown-even-five-minutes-into-the-battle move randomly
that meant I literally had to do it like 20 times :|

Ronok

How accurate are amazon uk's delivery estimates?

It's been listed as dispatched since yesterday, but the estimate on arrival is the 13th....

I don't see how it can take more then a day to get to London. Do they just sit on the fucking thing not allowing me to cancel my order until the 12th or something?

Anyway, I'm only asking because I'm considering running down to the shop and just picking the game up myself. I'm really getting impatient with my friends all playing away. :'(

Oyashiro

I don't care what anyone says; I got the 360 version of the game and I absolutely love it. The characters, story, amazing soundtrack, graphics, battle system, leveling system, EVERYTHING. The only thing I can honestly complain about is Vanille's voice. At times it sounds fine, but most of the time, I honestly cannot stand it.

Other than Vanille, though, I'm really happy with the English cast. Lightning and Sazh are my favorites, but Fang is up there too.

I also want to point out the fact that to me, this feels like one of the most "real" Final Fantasy games I've played. Some of the scenes in the game are handled and acted out so well that they seem almost like a real movie, or a struggle that real people would go through. I can't really put it into words (as you can see, lol) but I absolutely love it.

Edit: Oh, btw, I'm... 12 hours in I think? I got it last night at a Wal Mart here in Los Angeles. I had it pre-ordered at GameStop, but when I saw it at Wal Mart, I just had to get it. So yeah, I got home, and I've been playing ever since! Didn't even go to sleep :D

And for the record, I loved FFIV, FFIX, FFX, and FFX-2's battle system. Never played FFXII.

Edit: Huh, apparently I'm only 9 hours in. Dunno where the hell I got 12 from.

The delivery guy came early, so I wasn't out of bed yet. He was just walking away with the dreaded 'we tried to deliver' note through the letterbox when I opened the door.

I got the CE guide no. 199,513/210,000. I'm now curious as to who got no.1 and no. 210,000.

Just finished chp.2, really liking it so far but I can't wait for the battle system to open up more.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
game is awesome. battle system is starting to open up and it's getting really fun and challenging.

digging the plot structure

dialogue is hyper cheesy japanese style but i'll deal :lol

Pein

Banned
Shadow780 said:
YEAH GIVE IT TO ME!

and WTF at the overwhelming positive impression, where are the doom & gloom before release?:lol
Same ups center that gets my stuff. I can't bother with UPS to same day deliver games to me. I'm on the end of the route for my ups guy and don't get my stuff until 8PM.

Tek

I got two free avatar items

1 - MALE PSICOM SOLDIER UNIFORM

psicomm.png

1 - FEMALE PSICOM SOLDIER UNIFORM

psicomf.png

The code for the female avatar item is up for grabs to the 1st PM I get.

Keep in mind that if you have a male avatar then you can not redeem the code, its for female avatars only.

Also, to anyone else that has the male avatar, should it come with a helmet like the picture above? I only have the clothes and couldn't find the helmet.

Shouta

MaddMastaMike said:
What happens around Chp 9/10 does that FF feeling of start fades...or do you get burned out on it?

10 is the demarcation point for when the story just kind of blows up. For someone like me, who went into 13 without know much about the game aside from like having seen a few of the main characters and that was it, it feels like the halfway point for the story. Then everything just goes to hell after that point.

For the sake of folks not wanting to get heavily spoiled, read my post on the game in the Post-game impressions thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=383441) it's pretty spoiler free.

Any spoiler discussion can be taken there if you want to know exactly.

RPGCrazied

Tek said:
I got two free avatar items

1 - MALE PSICOM SOLDIER UNIFORM

psicomm.png

1 - FEMALE PSICOM SOLDIER UNIFORM

psicomf.png

The code for the female avatar item is up for grabs to the 1st PM I get.

Keep in mind that if you have a male avatar then you can not redeem the code, its for female avatars only.

Also, to anyone else that has the male avatar, should it come with a helmet like the picture above? I only have the clothes and couldn't find the helmet.

Thats for registering the 360 version right? I made a SE member account so I could get those.

bryehn

So I'm trying to go through the process of applying for the XIV beta, but it's not accepting my 20 digit code...

...because the field only accepts 19 m'f'n' characters!

Lyonaz said:
The game is story driven up to chapter 10 then you get to this new place and your like:

"Woohoo hunting missions! Let me do some! Damn these missions sent me all over the place, shit I think I'm lost?!
Hmm that looks like an easy mob. < You die> Ok, maybe some other time, Oooh another mission. <10 minutes later> where the fuck am I now?"

Yeah maybe I should just head to the next story event. Loving the place though. Easy to get distracted.:D

Same here, except the part with the mob. For me it went like: "Oh, tiny birds, I fought them before, let's do it. Wait, what's "Summon" spell? OMFG, WTF is THIS!?!":lol

Mr. Hyde

bryehn said:
So I'm trying to go through the process of applying for the XIV beta, but it's not accepting my 20 digit code...

I haven't purchased the game yet and I didn't even know about the promo code you get for registering FFXIII. I wonder if that automatically gets you into the PS3 beta. On a website I was reading, it says it will invalidate your old application.

Cloudy

Banned
bryehn said:

Did you copy and paste? That won't work

ElurI

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:
POOP BANK

What does that even mean, wait I don't want to know.

Just got my copy at wal-mart last night played for about an hour, but I had to work this morning. Is there something to when you attack that can interrupt incoming attacks? I can see this battle system becoming a monster when both you and the enemy have crazy attacks going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom