• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Milk Lizard said:
Am I blind or is there no way to turn diffrent sound effects up ? I'm having a hard time hearing what the characters are saying walking around and subtitles only works in cutscenes.
you can turn on non-event subtitles, I recommend doing so

Cartman86

Banned
Milk Lizard said:
Am I blind or is there no way to turn diffrent sound effects up ? I'm having a hard time hearing what the characters are saying walking around and subtitles only works in cutscenes.

I'm getting really annoyed at stuff like this in videogames. Sound Mixing in games sucks.

Vortex566

I just wish the game had some form of rumble support.

It feels a lot like Final Fantasy X to me. I just can not see, why the game is getting so much hate.

Doc Evils

b7zalw.jpg

I'll be at HMV today. :D

remz

Sazh rulesssss. wondering why they couldn't have the crystalalalarium unlocked from the start, or atleast less restricted. game gets a tone more interesting every time I can actually level some new shit.

funny little thing: anyone notice how vanille keeps doing the devil horns with her hands? totally metal \m/

Nose Master

About 5 hours in, trying my best not to be too critical. That said, fuck the dungeons are boring. Just running from one end to the other. And well, considering there aren't towns... :lol

Also noticed Vanille throwing up the horns all the time. I think they're trying to play on the nervous index finger thing but, it's weird.

krumble

Played for about 1.5 hours last night
Having a lot more fun than FFX so far which was the last FF I enjoyed
and maybe I didn't spoil myself with too much exposure, but the graphics are beautiful, very impressed with the engine, have both 360 and PS3 and picked up PS3 obviously.. short load times, flips between realtime and cutscenes without even blinking..
Can't wait to put in more time

Diablos

How are you guys who did the free overnight shipping from Gamestop.com doing?

My copy shipped at 4AM this morning and is already in Pittsburgh. Should get here today! w00t! Awesome deal!

usea

Doc Evils said:
http://i50.tinypic.com/b7zalw.jpg
I'll be at HMV today. :D
That's a weird pose..

Hopefully my copy gets here today (gamefly). Either way I have midterms so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Cartman86 said:
I went with 360 version because I'm an achievement whore and there isn't a PS3 in my room (I prefer to play games like FF in private), but boy is the compression god awful. It feels like I'm watching a torrented copy of some random TV show. Except I payed for it. I imagine I'll get used to it though. Hopefully the rest of the game won't have so many blacks or tons of far away shots with lots of movement.
Typical Cartman. One Sahz is too many for him.

Doc Evils

Diablos said:
What edition of the game is that? I thought there was just standard and LE with the logo. More than one cover for the LE?

HMV have the standard version with exclusive O-ring slip cover.

Here we go :D

kuw4z.jpg

Seeing the ebay prices, the LE seems to be a win/win situation. My local electronics shop had this PS3 version and two 360 copies left. Tons of regular editions though.

Atrophis

Picked up a copy from HMV this morning.

Now just 6 hours more work till i get home and can play the damn thing. Assuming I can kick the misses off the TV.

Oh and i'm liking the Leona Lewis ad in the back of the manual :lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I just decided now that I'm getting this as soon as its released (getting it in the Philippines tomorrow). :lol

So... What's verdict? Epic? Great game?

Damn, I was not hyped before, but I can't wait to play this now. Say what you want, but a brand new FF is still something special!

RS4- said:
How's the strategy guide? Kind of tempted to pick it up.

From what I've seen of it so far, it's pretty damn good :)

Thrakier

The first thing I noticed is that HUGE ass radar. Man, it takes like the half of the screen. Is there some way to hide it? Annyoing! And the controls are kinda stiff but...yeah, you just run forward all the time anyway, so what.

glaurung

Thrakier said:
The first thing I noticed is that HUGE ass radar. Man, it takes like the half of the screen. Is there some way to hide it? Annyoing! And the controls are kinda stiff but...yeah, you just run forward all the time anyway, so what.
I think pressing select can hide the radar screen.

Lyonaz

Thrakier said:

select button removes it.

Lyonaz

leng jai said:
Why? Its awful for the price.

It was for the same price as regular when you put an pre-order at E-plaza here in the Netherlands, otherwise it's 69 euro, 10 euro more than the regular. What's 10 euros.

Durante

This is one of the few games I prefer to play with the HUD removed, it's far too beautiful to be staring at the minimap.

FFObsessed said:
Totally regretting not buying the Limited Edition... >_<

I kinda do as well but TBH, but it's a little pricey for what you get (certainly compared to the price I paid for the standard). Hopefully a nice secondhand pne will come my way and I'll swap over.

Also for some reason I just couldn't get a good camera control setup working. I must have messed around with each one at the start for 10 mins trying to get a good feel. I think the camera is a little funny still.

leng jai

FFObsessed said:
True, but it looks nice :p

Maybe its just me but after coming from the Bioshock 2 LE this one doesn't stack up. The artbook is tiny and there isn't any actual "art", just screen shots from the game. The box is flimsy and the soundtrack is about 1/10th of the size of the retail OST.

Honestly you're better off with the LE strategy guide and the LE OST (which btw is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen, as soon as I got mine from CD Japan I promptly ordered another one)

BluWacky

Diablos said:
What edition of the game is that? I thought there was just standard and LE with the logo. More than one cover for the LE?

HMV are doing a special slipcase version as well in the UK, so I'm guessing he ordered it online from them and is going to get it signed later.

I'm torn. Do I go to the launch event after work (having bought the game at lunchtime) or do I go home so I can actually play the damn thing?

Atrophis said:
Oh and i'm liking the Leona Lewis ad in the back of the manual :lol

I like the "Artist of the year 2008" line :lol

leng jai said:
Maybe its just me but after coming from the Bioshock 2 LE this one doesn't stack up. The artbook is tiny and there isn't any actual "art", just screen shots from the game. The box is flimsy and the soundtrack is about 1/10th of the size of the retail OST.

Honestly you're better off with the LE strategy guide and the LE OST (which btw is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen, as soon as I got mine from CD Japan I promptly ordered another one)

True, I've seen better LEs. Good thing about FF stuff, it will most certainly increase in value over time and is already hard to find ;) Especially when the US does not get an LE.

Anyway, off to play now!!!!1111!

Dead

well not really...yet
Hmmm just got done playing the game. Got to the start of chapter 4. Loving it :D

So far this is definitely the most engaging start to a Final Fantasy game since 7. The game is really beautiful as well, and god damn the music. This might end up being my favorite Final Fantasy OST ever if it keeps up the same level of quality.

Loving the hell out of the battle system as well, and can't wait for even more options to open up :D

The story, like I said, so far its definitely engaging, no complaints. Datalog is a nice suplement. And as far as characters...

Sazh > Vanille > Lightening > Snow > Hope

That would probably be my ranking as of the start of chapter 4.

This is NOT a comparison question, but can I ask do the CGI cutscenes on the PS3 copy run at native 1080p or upscaled 720p?

I heard it was about 40 minutes of CGI at 1080p? Is that correct?

I'm about 3.5 hours in, quite enjoying it :D Battle system is great.

Banned
The biggest compliment I can give the game is how well implemented the design is. There isn't a single part of the game so far that has confused me or left me thinking "Why did they do that"

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I haven't heard a single remark of the game here... guess most of you guys went PS3 only, not that I disagree it's the superior version, but I wanted to read some insight into it and if its really THAT bad. Will picking up my first FF game in eoooons (since 7, lol) so I am looking forward to it.

I only got an hour in, but not much to report. CGI was stunning, graphics look great. Story is pretty slow obviously but I'm assuming it'd pick up. After Uncharted level of voice acting, the acting isn't up to par, but FF has never been known for that. Glad the wait is over and I can just level up and enjoy.

Has anyone made a more traditional custom boxart (i.e. one that consists of just the logo on a white background)?

Having Lightning on the front of the PAL box feels weird :/

Can anyone confirm that Color Jelly (&#24425;&#12426;&#12476;&#12522;&#12540;) is called Fragrant Oil in the English version? Also what's the name for Ultra-compact Fusion Reactors (&#36229;&#23567;&#22411;&#34701;&#21512;&#28809;) in English version?

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Checked my release date delivery tracking number on UPS this morning and saw this... "A FLIGHT DELAY OCCURRED BECAUSE OF MECHANICAL REASONS"

it's in my state (georgia) but WHAT DOES IT MEAN OH GOD???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom