• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrage

Just starting Chapter 12.

I'll be the first to admit the game is heavily flawed. And clearly FF13 is not the game we all were hoping for.

But...

That Chapter 12 cutscene....holy shit.

I know many of you were too jaded/bitter at the game to enjoy it. But I feel jealous of all the 12 and 13 year old kids that are gonna see that when they can still be really blown away by something like that.

Fanservice at its finest.

Barrage said:

I'll be the first to admit the game is heavily flawed. And clearly FF13 is not the game we all were hoping for.

But...

I know many of you were too jaded/bitter at the game to enjoy it. But I feel jealous of all the 12 and 13 year old kids that are gonna see that when they can still be really blown away by something like that.

I feel like this post is talking down to me :lol

Lightning

Banned
JAVK said:
Umm noob question guys...

I just started the game yesterday and I have been collecting alot of items, like fluids and credits etc.

Just wondering if I can do anything with them, or should I sell them to the shops?

Also I've been using Vanille as medic for nearly every battle is that right?
Vanille is the best Medic and Saboteur. She is your only access to the best debuffs for a large portion of the game and she gets all healing spells sooner then the others.

She also gets weapons that boost her medic and saboteur capabilities even more. Combine this with her very good HP and you have yourself a good character.

For your fluids etc... you use them to upgrade your weapons/accessories. Unless they say (Can be sold for a Premium) never, ever, sell them.

Barrage said:

I'm fairly negative on the game but still enjoyed that scene.

Mo0

Barrage said:

But...

The only thing I hated about that cutscene was
that looked like the coolest minigame in the history of RPGs, and WE DIDN'T GET TO PLAY IT!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BeeDog said:
Finally! Platinum'd this bitch. :D Took me 82 hours; got waaay more game time from this game than I ever hoped.
Jus' wanted to say congraaaaaats :D You've been working on this alot.

I really really like this game. Very fun battle system.

What load times are people talking about, is it only 360? I don't see many load times on ps3

Choopy

Neo Member
Man, I'm starting to miss this game already. I want DLC!
There's nothing left to do! I kinda feel like upgrading/maxing every single weapon for the hell of it...

How long do you guys think that would take? :lol

Synless

BeeDog said:
Finally! Platinum'd this bitch. :D Took me 82 hours; got waaay more game time from this game than I ever hoped.
I'm at 89 hours and still have at least 10-15 hours left at the rate I'm getting plat ignots, and gold nuggets. I don't know how some of you guys got done so fast.

Cornbread78

Choopy said:
There's nothing left to do! I kinda feel like upgrading/maxing every single weapon for the hell of it...

How long do you guys think that would take? :lol

Go for the shiny platinum baby! It's worth the extra 20 hours of grinding!

Haunted

Kagari said:
And is right now the only one getting two other HD Final Fantasy games this generation.
You say that as if it were a good thing. :p

Choopy said:
There's nothing left to do! I kinda feel like upgrading/maxing every single weapon for the hell of it.
Honestly, before you spend so much time doin that, try some other games/RPGs. You might not like them as much as FFXIII overall, but I think a new experience is better than uselessly maxing out bs. :p

Tideas

Banned
Oli said:
I'd definitely like to. I don't own a PS1 or PS2 though which puts me at a clear disadvantage. I REALLY want to play VI but don't have the means at the moment, other than FFVI Advance which runs for a bit too much these days.

here's a disclaimer. FF13 really is the first "casual" FF made. That's why hardcore FF fans hate it. They feel it's too dumbed down and not complex enough, but I welcomed teh change.

Prior FF, are not so "casual" friendly. I recommend you start with 7.

Cornbread78

Choopy said:
I already did that!
I NEED MOAORRRR :(

LOL, damn!

I'm only at chapter 9 since I've been splitting time with my buddies playing BFBC2 online. I can't wait for it to open up a little bit and tackle the missions. The grinding isn't so bad, I mean I already spent a few hours on level 9 doing that to help unlock some extra skills.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Finally got this in the mail about two days ago, but haven't had the time to play it until now. Played for a few hours (I just watched the scene where Vanille and the kid steals that flying vehicle thing and flies to the fal'Cie). So far it seems to be.. OK, I guess. Not as offensively shitty as I expected it to be, but it doesn't seem to be as awesome as FF XII was (although I love that little chocobo babby living in Sazh's 'fro). But it definitely feels very linear, like it's Running Down a Corridor: The Game, and not FF XIII.

That said, I noticed a bit of stuttering in the intro video(s) (PS3 version). Is this a common problem?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I just noticed something last night, and now it's REEEEEALLY bugging me. I never noticed it before because I hardly ever use Snow, and he's also usually not my Party Leader either.

When in battle, Snow has an elaborate design on the back of his jacket, but when running around outside of battle, there's no design whatsoever. And I know it's not (or shouldn't be) a pulse branding thing, because

1) his brand is on his arm, not his jacket
2) he has it at the very beginning of the game, before he's ever branded by Anima

So.... what gives?

Choopy

Neo Member
RurouniZel said:
I just noticed something last night, and now it's REEEEEALLY bugging me. I never noticed it before because I hardly ever use Snow, and he's also usually not my Party Leader either.

When in battle, Snow has an elaborate design on the back of his jacket, but when running around outside of battle, there's no design whatsoever. And I know it's not (or shouldn't be) a pulse branding thing, because

1) his brand is on his arm, not his jacket
2) he has it at the very beginning of the game, before he's ever branded by Anima

So.... what gives?

It's his "weapon"

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Choopy said:
It's his "weapon"

Wait... his weapon is his jacket?? Weird, I was under the impression I was buying him gloves or something, I dunno, fist related.

That clear it up I suppose. Officially wins the title "strangest RPG weapon ever", originally a title held by Megaphone and closely followed by Umbrella.

RurouniZel said:
Wait... his weapon is his jacket?? Weird, I was under the impression I was buying him gloves or something, I dunno, fist related.

That clear it up I suppose. Officially wins the title "strangest RPG weapon ever", originally a title held by Megaphone and closely followed by Umbrella.
Well no his weapon is his fist. The Jacket emblem is just the equipment you are changing but like everyone else it only shows in battle.

And Persona 4 has a lot more stranger weapons.

Sacha

RurouniZel said:

If I remember correctly, it's a coat made by the Sanctum to enhance his wearer's strength, and that NORA managed to snatch. I think this info was in Famitsu, do they say anything about it in the datalog ?

Just got my Platinum Trophy two nights ago and I clocked in around 102 hours. My general summary of the game is, awesome soundtrack, nice visuals, interesting lore/back story, but forgettable characters, terrible equipment/upgrading system, and lame post game content.

I really ended up hating the whole component/bolts experience multiplier setup by like the 80th hour. It is WAY too vague and just completely unnecessary in its structure. I actually would have preferred if weapons/accessories required SPECIFIC materials so it wouldn't make like 90% of what is available useless. Also, more than half of the accessories suck and there was no item/equipment checklist that kept track of everything you were forging/finding so even cool item hunt tasks like the Treasure Hunter trophy felt sloppy and unorganized.

The hunts were cool even though they reused like every monster variation, but the 5 Star Rank scaling requirements got to me after awhile as well. Why would they be harder to 5 Star Rank when you get stronger? Having to equip LV1 weapons at max crystarium is a terrible idea. It should have been based solely on time taken. Oh well...here's hoping Versus XIII gets it right.

Combichristoffersen

Fuck yeah, Lightning just punched Snow in the face. Which I quite support, as he's seriously fucking annoying. Shut the fuck up about Serah already, you twat-faced second-rate boyband reject.

brandonh83 said:
Did you crack up or snicker a little bit?

Snickered a bit. Definitely wasn't expecting that.

Fimbulvetr said:
You're Hope?

It all makes sense now.

Hell yeah I'm Hope! I'm gonna take his development one step further and pull a Simon from Gurren Lagann. WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?

darkwings

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
Fuck yeah, Lightning just punched Snow in the face. Which I quite support, as he's seriously fucking annoying. Shut the fuck up about Serah already, you twat-faced second-rate boyband reject.

Oh please, snow is one of the better characters. Have you ever been in love? Have you ever lost someone you love? It is lightning acting like the cold bitch she is.

darkwings said:
Oh please, snow is one of the better characters. Have you ever been in love? Have you ever lost someone you love? It is lightning acting like the cold bitch she is.
Lightning as a cold bitch is far more interesting than Snow's pussy-ass romantic histrionics.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
What it is about these characters that inspires such cynical rage? I still think it's because FF is like the most niche appeal anime movie, that way too many people outside the niche watch, because it's wrapped in this pretty art and fun game that does have a wide appeal to everyone.

It's analagous to Punch Drunk Love, the wierd niche art film about awkward insecurity and love, that was wrapped in an Adam Sandler package, and thus it attracted way too many of the wrong viewers who ended up detesting it.

And of course XIII is not an excellent entry in the niche anyway :p snow and Vanille ARE weak characters and such. I don't want to drag up an old argument.. Just musing on the strange phenomenon of this game...

darkwings

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
Lightning as a cold bitch is far more interesting than Snow's pussy-ass romantic histrionics.

Well lets just say we disagree. You're a pussy for wanting to save someone now? Speaking of Lightning, at chapter 11 and onwards (until you beat the game) she is not a top tier character anymore. She is out of my top3 party because:

-She is a horrible synergist (no haste)
-She is a horrible medic (only cura lol)
-She is an average saboteur (outclassed by almost everyone)
-She is an average sentinel (no steelguard)
-She is a good ravager
-She is a good commando

Her flaws outweighs the good.

She's the second-best Ravager and Commando in the game. This is why it's generally regarded that Lightning-Hope-Fang is the best team because it covers all the bases you ever need. Couple with her Lionheart weapon tree and you have an incredibly fast and deadly character.

Everyone is horrible at everything that is not their Main role. Snow will always be a terrible Saboteur/Synergist/Medic, because those are his sub roles. This should not be a negative for anyone -- this is just a common unity amongst all characters since you're rarely going to use them outside of their Main roles anyway.

ZephyrFate said:
Everyone is horrible at everything that is not their Main role. Snow will always be a terrible Saboteur/Synergist/Medic, because those are his sub roles. This should not be a negative for anyone -- this is just a common unity amongst all characters since you're rarely going to use them outside of their Main roles anyway.

Actually, Fang is an excellent Synergist and Ravager. Her having 5 roles down is one of the reasons she's the best character.

Lightning

Banned
darkwings said:
Well lets just say we disagree. You're a pussy for wanting to save someone now? Speaking of Lightning, at chapter 11 and onwards (until you beat the game) she is not a top tier character anymore. She is out of my top3 party because:

-She is a horrible synergist (no haste)
-She is a horrible medic (only cura lol)
-She is an average saboteur (outclassed by almost everyone)
-She is an average sentinel (no steelguard)
-She is a good ravager
-She is a good commando

Her flaws outweighs the good.
LOL.

As a Sentinal with the proper setup she is the ultimate ninja, basically becomes immune to physical attacks.

If she is a horrible medic then so is everyone except Vanille and Hope.

She is the best Ravager, capable of raising the chain gauge like no other and is the second best commando in the game. Lightning, using the Axis Blade, is absolutely devastating when facing groups of enemies doing very good damage and filling her ATB bar in the process for basically non stop attacking.

I am curious though, who is your top 3? If you nitpik Lightning I can't want to see your top 3 characters and their flaws.

darkwings

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
She's the second-best Ravager and Commando in the game. This is why it's generally regarded that Lightning-Hope-Fang is the best team because it covers all the bases you ever need. Couple with her Lionheart weapon tree and you have an incredibly fast and deadly character.

you got it all wrong. Snow isnt a terrible synergist and medic. He can atleast cast haste and curesa. He isn't the best but he is a tier above lightning right there.

Snow is the best sentinel and also the character with the highest base HP which can be crucial against the tougher enemies. Snow's only real weakness is the ravager, but he is competent enough in the other classes to make me chose him over lightning in the party.

Lightning said:
LOL.

As a Sentinal with the proper setup she is the ultimate ninja, basically becomes immune to physical attacks.

If she is a horrible medic then so is everyone except Vanille and Hope.

She is the best Ravager, capable of raising the chain gauge like no other and is the second best commando in the game. Lightning, using the Axis Blade, is absolutely devastating when facing groups of enemies doing very good damage and filling her ATB bar in the process for basically non stop attacking.

I am curious though, who is your top 3? If you nitpik Lightning I can't want to see your top 3 characters and their flaws.

biased much with that name? :p

1) she can use elude nicely as you said, but it will cost her a couple of accessory slots
2) Last time i checked Curesa > Cura
3) she is the best ravager along with hope, but it is debatable if she is second best commando because snow is strong as well.

My top3 right now is:

Fang (highwind)
Snow (tank)
Vanille (curaja)

Lightning

Banned
darkwings said:
you got it all wrong. Snow isnt a terrible synergist and medic. He can atleast cast haste and curesa. He is a tier above lightning right there.

Snow is the best sentinel and also the character with the highest base HP which can be crucial against the tougher enemies. Snow's only real weakness is the ravager, but he is competent enough in the other classes to make me chose him over lightning in the party.
Snow as a Saboteur is a joke. He gets no Deprotect, Deshell, Poision, Impreil and no dispel.

darkwings

Banned
Lightning said:
Snow as a Saboteur is a joke. He gets no Deprotect, Deshell, Poision, Impreil and no dispel.

Atleast he got Dazega and Lightning is not a good saboteur either with only 7 abilities in that class

darkwings

Banned
rataven said:
Lightning can cast haste. She's been doing it all post-game for me.

darkwings said:
Speaking of Lightning, at chapter 11 and onwards (until you beat the game) she is not a top tier character anymore

yes post game, but then all of the other characters gain extra abilities as well. I clearly stated UNTIL you beat the game, which is in my original post.

WHY would you use anyone outside of their Main Roles before the post-game? And even still, there is an ESTABLISHED fact that how good a character is with each role goes like this:

Commando:
Fang
Lightning
Snow
Sazh
Vanille
Hope

Sentinel:
Snow
Fang
Lightning
Sazh
Vanille
Hope

Ravager:
Hope
Lightning
Vanille
Sazh
Fang
Snow

Saboteur:
Fang
Vanille
Sazh
Hope
Snow
Lightning

Medic:
Vanille
Hope
Sazh
Snow
Fang
Lightning

Synergist:
Hope
Sazh
Vanille
Lightning/Fang
Snow

We're not just talking about who gets one piddly-ass ability over the other. You don't even NEED Haste if you have maxed out Sprint Shoes. We're talking both abilities AND stats.

Seriously, Lightning is the second best character in the game. Her only actual downside is low HP.

Lightning

Banned
darkwings said:
Atleast he got Dazega and Lightning is not a good saboteur either with only 7 abilities in that class
Yeah, personal preference I guess. It's redundant anyway, with Vanille in your party and her brilliant Malboro Wand she is by far the best Saboteur.

My only gripe with Lightning though, she has pretty shitty HP compared to the other commandos. I find myself needing to heal her too often and it slows me down. :lol

rataven

darkwings said:
yes post game, but then all of the other characters gain extra abilities as well. I clearly stated UNTIL you beat the game, which is in my original post.
I hardly ever needed haste until post-game. I don't even think I had Hope learn it until after the final boss. It hardly seemed like an absolute necessary skill up to that point, and if it was needed, I used shrouds anyway. I detest Snow, so his mug never made an appearance in my team unless the game made it. And I never needed him.

And finally got my platinum! Woot.

Combichristoffersen

ZephyrFate said:

Exactly. Cold-hearted bitch > whiny boy band member. Snow is Wakka all over again, but at least Wakka had an excuse as he was evidently mentally disabled. Snow has no excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom