• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Brazil said:
Ok, so I started grinding for CP today. Battled the same fuckers for 1 hour.

I can't handle this like I did in the early 90s anymore.

1 hour? That's nothing.

Try 13 hours straight for one enemy (Adamantoise, did it in order to get the platinum).

Chittagong

Gold Member
Ok I don't want to stir up controversy, but can anyone tell if the game gets substantially better after disc 1? Just finished it an hour ago and quite frankly found it rather dull - very light in terms of storytelling and mostly consisting of walking in a deserted crystal cave.

Cep

Banned
Chittagong said:
Ok I don't want to stir up controversy, but can anyone tell if the game gets substantially better after disc 1? Just finished it an hour ago and quite frankly found it rather dull - very light in terms of storytelling and mostly consisting of walking in a deserted crystal cave.

Best not to delimit your progress based on disc number(it does not really mean anything), but it does get (comparatively) better.

darkwings

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
I was quoting you and then continuing the discussion about who is the hottest of the FF male cast

but thank you for another tangent, glad to see your points have fallen to dust

my points never fell to part. Snow is a better character than lightning overall.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
There are eight hundred endgame guides to this and not a single one of them is able to explain upgrading correctly, or give me a list of what I need, or tell me how/where should I farm Adamantoises, or when am I able to do the missions I'm missing.

This fucking game is making me lose my will to live.

Firestorm

Rahxephon91 said:
Sometimes I hope Versus XIII is terrible just to see what the results will be.
the result is the same:

"WAIT FOR [insert game here]"

How far am I in chapter 11? Just hit
Vanille's Eidolon

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Firestorm said:
the result is the same:

"WAIT FOR [insert game here]"
KH3 for KH fans? Otherwise, there's nothing, no hope in SE.

Brazil said:
There are eight hundred endgame guides to this and not a single one of them is able to explain upgrading correctly, or give me a list of what I need, or tell me how/where should I farm Adamantoises, or when am I able to do the missions I'm missing.

This fucking game is making me lose my will to live.
Final Fantasy XIII: Making Your Life Miserable

I can't believe this game was out a few months ago... I've honestly put most of it out of my mind, and sold it.

hateradio

Firestorm said:
WHAT
:(

Ok. This is not the best chapter and everyone is wrong. Chapter 7 is the best chapter. This would be the worst chapter if it weren't for Chapter 10 >=(
Ch 11 is pretty boring, the only reason it's "good" is because you have the option to run around Pulse, hrm.

Wazzim

Banned
Chapter 13 is freaking hard, never ever seen such thing in a FF game before D:
The only way to win is by strategy, grinding CP doesn't even work lol
Awesome game overall, too bad they put more money in the CGI than in the game itself :/

hateradio

Wazzim said:
Chapter 13 is freaking hard, never ever seen such thing in a FF game before D:
The only way to win is by strategy, grinding CP doesn't even work lol
Are you sure you're doing it right? I had no trouble with this game. The only "strategy" is rev/rev/com or cure and stagger/kill (yes I'm over-simplifying, but still...).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Unknown Soldier said:
We live in a world where games like Star Ocean 4 exist. FFXIII is not terrible by any stretch of the imagination. But we are left wondering where all the $60 million actually went.

Crystal Tools.

Wazzim

Banned
hateradio said:
Are you sure you're doing it right? I had no trouble with this game. The only "strategy" is rev/rev/com or cure and stagger/kill (yes I'm over-simplifying, but still...).
No I am not. :lol
It's easy with walkthroughs though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Rez said:
shame about the god awful music
How dare you? Yaschaf has amazing music.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
isn't it that wretched, tonally jarring whimsical track that feels like it fades out then repeats way, way too often?

maybe I'm getting my wires crossed.

Cornbread78

Rez said:
isn't it that wretched, tonally jarring whimsical track that feels like it fades out then repeats way, way too often?

maybe I'm getting my wires crossed.

I haven't quite gotten there yet, but anything has to be better than that damn siren in Chp 9. It still pierces my ear drums!

Peff

They really need to fire whoever came up with the idea to have background music that loops every minute AND plays in battles too. The siren is the worst enemy in Chapter 9 :(

Lionheart

I'm slowly working through this game, really enjoying it, much more so than I thought I would.

I'm now on mission 4 in chapter 11 though, and I've got a question. I see people here talking about wanting to get 5 stars on mission marks. Is there any reward for getting 5 stars on all missions or so or is it just for bragging rights or completion sake? Thanks!

Mo0

Lionheart said:
I'm slowly working through this game, really enjoying it, much more so than I thought I would.

I'm now on mission 4 in chapter 11 though, and I've got a question. I see people here talking about wanting to get 5 stars on mission marks. Is there any reward for getting 5 stars on all missions or so or is it just for bragging rights or completion sake? Thanks!
There's an 80 point achievement/gold(?) trophy for doing it, but otherwise, your star rating has no effect on what item you get for completing the mission.

Combine

Banned
Ok, Chapter 7 was the best chapter in the whole game so far. The action was pretty tense throughout the entire city and you were left wondering just what was going to happen next.

Hope there are more chapters like this, but I'm guessing there aren't from what I've read of others impressions. Apparently I better be wary of Chapter 9 and 10

Lionheart

Mo0 said:
There's an 80 point achievement/gold(?) trophy for doing it, but otherwise, your star rating has no effect on what item you get for completing the mission.
OK, thanks! Guess I'll see how long those missions keep me interested then.

twdnewh_k

Im stuck at the boss fight in chap 9, died almost 10 times already.

I destory his parts, but when i reach the main, he kills me with one shot everytime.. How can i counter this , pls help :(

Edit, removed boss name

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
twdnewh_k said:

Barthandelus.

I destory his parts, but when i reach the main, he kills me with one shot everytime. That destructoid attack or whatever. How can i counter this , pls help :(

You might wanna spoiler that.

Zoe

Bitmap Frogs said:
Jesus chapter 11 boss was a total bitch. That nasty trick it does at the 20 min mark is just cheap =/

That's just because you're taking too long!

It happened to me in chapter 9, but not chapter 11.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Zoe said:
That's just because you're taking too long!

It happened to me in chapter 9, but not chapter 11.

Yeah I know but still, I was solidly chipping away at him.

Anyways, he's dead now. I think I'll jump to chapter 12 soon, done a good deal of missions but there's stuff that's just outside the limited crystarium available now.

Started playing this game again after a month of craziness at work, and man am I glad I started playing again. I forgot how beautiful this game was, and Ch 11 is full of awe inspiring moments. The only problem is that I need to take breaks with this game or else I start to go a little crazy.

Cornbread78

twdnewh_k said:

I destory his parts, but when i reach the main, he kills me with one shot everytime.. How can i counter this , pls help :(

Edit, removed boss name

I just finished this part.

As soon as the "Destroyer/Destruction (whatever) attack" pops up, I changed paridigms to Bully and made sure all my buffs were up and running then changed to another paridigm with a SEN/MED/COM while being attacked once the attack hit, I used the (SEN, MED, MED) paridigm to heal back up real quick, then back to Relentless Assault/Diversity 9if health get's low) to beat down his life bar. I never did get a stagger on him and I only got 1 or 2 stars for it (you get nothing extra for 5 stars)
but it worked for me slow steady and safe won the race for me.

Only on Chapter 11 doing missions but Lightning is AMAZING with a haste (ATB) setup.

Axis Blade + Whistlewind Scarf + Aurora Scarf + Spring shoes

Reminds me of my Samurai and Ninja in FFXI :D She totally wrecks havoc with this setup as a Ravenger or Commando.

Combine

Banned
Phew, the Chapter 9 level really was long
although I suppose it was a fair size given how huge that ship was
and I actually didn't have much trouble going through it. I think I only died once or twice on some battles with a large number of enemies at once. I always have made sure my characters were upgraded well and had good upgraded weapons too.

As for the difficult boss, I actually didn't die on him and made it through on my first try. It took a while though, and I was really close to dying on that super attack that occurs. I'm not sure, but I think if you attack while the boss is charging it up, then you might be able to lessen the damage that it does. I was lucky that at it's full power, it wasn't enough to kill my main character, though she survived with just like 10 or so HP left before being healed.

Oh well, it's Chapter 10 now. We'll see how this one goes.

Chris R

Upgrade the Axis blade to the next weapon in the chain, you should be able to do that by now. Soooo damn fast, backed up with Hope doing insane magic damage/healing/buffing and fang doing insane physical damage/tanking/debuffing :lol

Emonk

Banned
MWS Natural said:
Only on Chapter 11 doing missions but Lightning is AMAZING with a haste (ATB) setup.

Axis Blade + Whistlewind Scarf + Aurora Scarf + Spring shoes

Reminds me of my Samurai and Ninja in FFXI :D She totally wrecks havoc with this setup as a Ravenger or Commando.

Are those last two items mission rewards?

I did about ten missions in Chapter 11 before I got really bored and stopped, and I don't think I have the last two items.

Emonk

Banned
Bitmap Frogs said:
Jesus chapter 11 boss was a total bitch. That nasty trick it does at the 20 min mark is just cheap =/

I read that you can counter it by calling out a summon right before the nasty trick takes effect, and your summon will circumvent it. Sorry for the clumsiness, just trying not to give anything away.

Anyway I got lucky and won the battle at 19:54 or something. I died about eight times though.

Edit: I'll have to check and see if I have Hermes' Sandals. Not sure off the top of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom