• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Combichristoffersen said:
Exactly. Cold-hearted bitch > whiny boy band member. Snow is Wakka all over again, but at least Wakka had an excuse as he was evidently mentally disabled. Snow has no excuse.

The fuck? Really?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Kagari said:
The fuck? Really?

Not really :lol But Wakka is possibly the dumbest and most annoying character I've encountered in any video game ever. There are no words to express my seething hatred for Wakka, his broness, his flabbergasting stupidity and his shitty fucking blitzball. Snow might be an annoying, whiny cunt, but Wakka is jut flat out stupid.

Not really :lol But Wakka is possibly the dumbest and most annoying character I've encountered in any video game ever. There are no words to express my seething hatred for Wakka, his broness, his flabbergasting stupidity and his shitty fucking blitzball. Snow might be an annoying, whiny cunt, but Wakka is jut flat out stupid.

I disagree but even if I didn't, both are saved by their excellent voice actors. Dimaggio and Baker ftw.

Shapingo

He had a crush on his sister in law, when his brother dies he feels guilty about moving in to tap it. He had some issues.
How can any FF character be more hated than Quinna: it served no purpose at all.

Combichristoffersen

Shapingo said:
He had a crush on his sister in law, when his brother dies he feels guilty about moving in to tap it. He had some issues.
How can any FF character be more hated than Quinna: it served no purpose at all.

Quina was useless, but wasn't an integral part of the story, so you didn't have to spend too much time on him/her/it. Wakka was shoved in your face from the moment you first met him. Even Kimahri, who was about as useful as a pile of dung, was a better character, if only because he had the decency to shut the fuck up most of the time. As for the whole 'issues over sister in law and dead bro' thing, that wasn't a part of Wakka's personality that bothered me (no, really), but he was so.. ugh. He's just stupid, stupid, stupid. But then again, FF X is a pretty shitty game, so..

HappyDad

Neo Member
I'm only very early on the 2nd disc with about 10 hours in. OMG, I can't believe how lazy SE became with level design. I assume their level editor has industry leading kick-ass copy-paste feature. Can't believe what my beloved FF series turned into...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
HappyDad said:
I'm only very early on the 2nd disc with about 10 hours in. OMG, I can't believe how lazy SE became with level design. I assume their level editor has industry leading kick-ass copy-paste feature. Can't believe what my beloved FF series turned into...

All the good staff got put on Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

DiMaggio was terrible as Wakka IMO. Even his voice is annoying :(

I thought Wakka's voice fit his character pretty well. Not exactly an Oscar winning performance, but I don't think the voice does anything especially bad.

Wakka may be an idiot, but god damn if he's not the single hottest man Nomura has created. I mean, minus the hairdo, his body is gorgeous.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Rez said:

Well... The Advent Children, FFVII team, and KH team are pretty good. :p

Advent Children for the graphics.
FFVII for... FFVII.
KH for... KH.

Sadly, the only series that I definitely look forward to after the SE merger was solely Kingdom Hearts (not counting tri-Ace games).

ZephyrFate said:
Wakka may be an idiot, but god damn if he's not the single hottest man Nomura has created. I mean, minus the hairdo, his body is gorgeous.

Jecht... Also Snow? :lol

Gattsu25

Banned
Barrage said:
That Chapter 12 cutscene....holy shit.

I know many of you were too jaded/bitter at the game to enjoy it. But I feel jealous of all the 12 and 13 year old kids that are gonna see that when they can still be really blown away by something like that.

Fanservice at its finest.
I dunno. I loved the game and felt that scene was entirely pointless, illogical, lengthy, pointless, and counter to the story - but hey, it looked "great", right?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Gattsu25 said:
I dunno. I loved the game and felt that scene was entirely pointless, illogical, lengthy, pointless, and counter to the story - but hey, it looked "great", right?

Beautiful but messy.

Mo0

ZephyrFate said:
The correct answer to "Who is the hottest FF man" is Kefka.

ULTROS!

Mo0 said:
The correct answer to "Who is the hottest FF man" is Kefka.

Kuja is actually the "hottest" man of FF.

Awntawn

Kagari said:
All the good staff got put on Final Fantasy Versus XIII.
at first i read this as all the good stuff, suggesting that the versus team came down and yoinked every AAA asset and left the xiii team with scraps to finish their game with :lol

Darvan

Nope I didn't notice any Stuttering at all.

Finally got this in the mail about two days ago, but haven't had the time to play it until now. Played for a few hours (I just watched the scene where Vanille and the kid steals that flying vehicle thing and flies to the fal'Cie). So far it seems to be.. OK, I guess. Not as offensively shitty as I expected it to be, but it doesn't seem to be as awesome as FF XII was (although I love that little chocobo babby living in Sazh's 'fro). But it definitely feels very linear, like it's Running Down a Corridor: The Game, and not FF XIII.

That said, I noticed a bit of stuttering in the intro video(s) (PS3 version). Is this a common problem?

ULTROS!

Rahxephon91 said:
Sometimes I hope Versus XIII is terrible just to see what the results will be.

I hope FFXIII is terri... Oh wait.

Pooya

Rahxephon91 said:
story/character wise I expect it will be as bad if not worse than XIII, *looks at Advent Children*

MCD

Rahxephon91 said:
it will be terrible if they scrapped ff13 awesome battle system for a new one instead of further improving it.

ULTROS! said:
I hope FFXIII is terri... Oh wait.

We live in a world where games like Star Ocean 4 exist. FFXIII is not terrible by any stretch of the imagination. But we are left wondering where all the $60 million actually went.

ULTROS!

Unknown Soldier said:
We live in a world where games like Star Ocean 4 exist. FFXIII is not terrible by any stretch of the imagination. But we are left wondering where all the $60 million actually went.

Maybe it went to Versus XIII. :lol

Square Enix: FFXIII costs $60m
Square Enix: (but in reality, FFXIII really costs $10m and Versus XIII costs $100m, so we had to get the FFXIII funds).

Pooya

Unknown Soldier said:
Engine development probably. making high quality CGs like those in XIII isn't cheap.

Cep

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:

You and me both.

ZephyrFate said:

Snow?

Cid?

darkwings

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
WHY would you use anyone outside of their Main Roles before the post-game?

What is this post-game you're talking about? There is nothing of extra content for beating the game. You can finish all the missions before killing the final boss and there is nothing left to do. It does not unlock any extra stuff other then the final crystarium which is baffling.

darkwings said:
What is this post-game you're talking about? There is nothing of extra content for beating the game. You can finish all the missions before killing the final boss and there is nothing left to do. It does not unlock any extra stuff other then the final crystarium which is baffling.
That doesn't actually answer my question, but I loved the tangent you decided to go on.

Snow/Cid are not good looking at all. Snow may be buff, but he looks like an idiot. Cid is the ugliest bishounen ever.

darkwings

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
That doesn't actually answer my question, but I loved the tangent you decided to go on.

Snow/Cid are not good looking at all. Snow may be buff, but he looks like an idiot. Cid is the ugliest bishounen ever.

lol now why are you talking about good looks all of a sudden, who cares o_O

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
MCD said:
it will be terrible if they scrapped ff13 awesome battle system for a new one instead of further improving it.
It's already confirmed that it's going be a action rpg.:p

darkwings said:
lol now why are you talking about good looks all of a sudden, who cares o_O
I was quoting you and then continuing the discussion about who is the hottest of the FF male cast

but thank you for another tangent, glad to see your points have fallen to dust

Chittagong

Gold Member
Some six hours into the game, finding it fairly enjoyable. The learning curve is beautifully crafted from simple to complex. Would hope for some more city like locations, everything seems so deserted. The compression on 360 animations is pretty rubbish but otherwise the game looks gorgeous.

Much of the dialog is initially confusing as fuck. The talk about fal'Cie and l'Cie and Pulse and Cocoon and crystals just had me scratching my head. They talk about them like everyday things without much explanation so I have to gradually deduct what they mean.

JAVK

Fuck Chapter 9

Why is this game so stupidly hard! This is the first time I've played a JRPG or a Final Fantasy. I was doing pretty well up untill now, and enjoying the story, but then comes chapter 9
FUCK YOU

Right now I'm ready to give up and trade this bitch in...

JAVK said:
Fuck Chapter 9

Why is this game so stupidly hard! This is the first time I've played a JRPG or a Final Fantasy. I was doing pretty well up untill now, and enjoying the story, but then comes chapter 9
FUCK YOU

Right now I'm ready to give up and trade this bitch in...

The Ch. 9 boss or just the regular encounters?

Combichristoffersen

ZephyrFate said:

He's got a buff body, but I don't think he's particularly hot.

Awntawn said:
at first i read this as all the good stuff, suggesting that the versus team came down and yoinked every AAA asset and left the xiii team with scraps to finish their game with :lol

The Versus XIII team evidently stole all the HD towns, the world map and the airship, and left the XIII staff with a bunch of corridors.

JAVK said:
Not the boss, just casual encounters.

Are you using the Sentinal role?

If you have Fang as Sent. and Lightning and Hope dealing damage, with occasional healing breaks, you should be able to take down everything.

JAVK

Ok so I went on youtube to find out how other people play through that section and found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baYQOYoYccc

Its right at the start of chapter 9 and after he beats the first wave of soldiers, Lightning goes straight through the doors into a new area, but when I beat the first wave of guards Lightning takes a lift to the upper platform.

Why are they both different? or am I just going crazy...

Quick question: I'm post-game and have maxed out all my characters. I still need to get the Treasure Hunter trophy and I know I need some Dark Matters. I have a bazillion gil and traps so that's not a problem. How many Dark Matters do I need for the trophy? Could just as well buy them if it's not too many. Thanks in advance

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
StevePharma said:
Quick question: I'm post-game and have maxed out all my characters. I still need to get the Treasure Hunter trophy and I know I need some Dark Matters. I have a bazillion gil and traps so that's not a problem. How many Dark Matters do I need for the trophy? Could just as well buy them if it's not too many. Thanks in advance
By my calculations you need 5.

JAVK

JAVK said:
Ok so I went on youtube to find out how other people play through that section and found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baYQOYoYccc

Its right at the start of chapter 9 and after he beats the first wave of soldiers, Lightning goes straight through the doors into a new area, but when I beat the first wave of guards Lightning takes a lift to the upper platform.

Why are they both different? or am I just going crazy...

Nevermind, I found out that the guy just double backed to get to the start.

Cep

Banned
Kagari said:
The result would be similar to what this thread is now.

But I love this thread...

Not as good as the awesome exuded by its grandparent, but still...

ZephyrFate said:
now/Cid are not good looking at all. Snow may be buff, but he looks like an idiot. Cid is the ugliest bishounen ever.

I agree on Cid, but if I were gay, I would totally smash Snow.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Ok, so I started grinding for CP today. Battled the same fuckers for 1 hour.

I can't handle this like I did in the early 90s anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom