• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rpgmonkey

Combine said:
Ok, Chapter 7 was the best chapter in the whole game so far. The action was pretty tense throughout the entire city and you were left wondering just what was going to happen next.

Hope there are more chapters like this, but I'm guessing there aren't from what I've read of others impressions. Apparently I better be wary of Chapter 9 and 10

Chapter 12 sorta manages to capture the urgent feeling of Chapter 7.

That and I can say without an ounce of doubt that it has the only main story boss in the whole game I genuinely enjoyed fighting and will actually remember, and it's one of just two or three of all the bosses in the game where I feel so.

Chapter 9 starts out fine and gets worse as it goes on and on, and 10 is just shit.

Lightning

Banned
MWS Natural said:
Only on Chapter 11 doing missions but Lightning is AMAZING with a haste (ATB) setup.

Axis Blade + Whistlewind Scarf + Aurora Scarf + Spring shoes

Reminds me of my Samurai and Ninja in FFXI :D She totally wrecks havoc with this setup as a Ravenger or Commando.
I used that setup except I swapped Sprint Shoes for Survivalist's Catalog.

This will give you:

Random Instant chain
ATB Rate + 10%

I then just cast Haste manually at the start of the fight and Lightning is just amazing....

After obtaining your last Acc slot, add Nimbletoe Shoes to increase the ATB rate some more and watch her avoid attacks like no other as a Sentinal while her attacks recharge the ATB bar so fast that she is basically attacking non stop.

This is what makes Lightning, imo, the best character. She raises the chain guage ridicliously fast, gets far more attacks in then anyone else, while her fantastic speed allows her to evade many attacks that other characters cannot avoid.

Trevelyon

Just wondering about some Treasure Hunter stuff.

Reading around some have warned against upgrading anything until you've completed the game (I dunno if it's simply their preference for making the process easier to keep tabs on or if there's a real danger in it) I've done some slight weapon/accessory upgrading, and a handful of tier leveling on weapons. For someone who hasn't sold nor dismantled anything thus far and don't intend to, until I need to, is there any danger in upgrading/tier leveling stuff I need for the final end game run/A+B Mission runs (Currently Chapter 12 - Got ALL elemental charms/rings)

Also, might be a silly question, but I'll ask it nonetheless (Being on the side of caution here) Are weapon/accessories levels counted as entirely different weapons/accessories in the held tally? Say for example, I upgrade Iron Bangle lvl 1 to lvl 2, but then upgrade it again from lvl2 to its max lvl, does that mean I didn't hold at some point in time Iron Bangles lvl 3/4/5 seperately and thus doesn't count to the held tally, or am I totally over thinking the whole thing.

Kinan

Trevelyon said:
Just wondering about some Treasure Hunter stuff.

Reading around some have warned against upgrading anything until you've completed the game (I dunno if it's simply their preference for making the process easier to keep tabs on or if there's a real danger in it) I've done some slight weapon/accessory upgrading, and a handful of tier leveling on weapons. For someone who hasn't sold nor dismantled anything thus far and don't intend to, until I need to, is there any danger in upgrading/tier leveling stuff I need for the final end game run/A+B Mission runs (Currently Chapter 12 - Got ALL elemental charms/rings)

Also, might be a silly question, but I'll ask it nonetheless (Being on the side of caution here) Are weapon/accessories levels counted as entirely different weapons/accessories in the held tally? Say for example, I upgrade Iron Bangle lvl 1 to lvl 2, but then upgrade it again from lvl2 to its max lvl, does that mean I didn't hold at some point in time Iron Bangles lvl 3/4/5 seperately and thus doesn't count to the held tally, or am I totally over thinking the whole thing.

You can upgrade as you see fit, really. Actually, getting your weapons to their second form will help quite a bit, so i would even recommend it (its not really necessary, but helps). Most (like 99.8% ) of the stuff you get in the game before the endgame, you can re-buy later in stores anyway.
Levels are not counted, it would be complete hell this way.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I knew I couldn't escape the grinding.
In Gran Pulse right now, getting my ass handed to me, lol
any help is greatly appreciated. :D

Cep

Banned
Rpgmonkey said:
Chapter 12 sorta manages to capture the urgent feeling of Chapter 7.

That and I can say without an ounce of doubt that it has the only main story boss in the whole game I genuinely enjoyed fighting and will actually remember, and it's one of just two or three of all the bosses in the game where I feel so.

Chapter 9 starts out fine and gets worse as it goes on and on, and 10 is just shit.

Cannot be said enough.

Man... FF13 is pretty hated, huh. I ordered it from amazon last week and it'll be $33 after the $10 gift card, but I'm torn on whether I should keep it or get a refund. 20 hours before it gets fun? Ehhhhh. I have been clamoring for a new FF, but it's sounding like this one isn't a full FF experience. Help me decide!

jetpacks was yes said:
Man... FF13 is pretty hated, huh. I ordered it from amazon last week and it'll be $33 after the $10 gift card, but I'm torn on whether I should keep it or get a refund. 20 hours before it gets fun? Ehhhhh. I have been clamoring for a new FF, but it's sounding like this one isn't a full FF experience. Help me decide!

Play it for yourself. Sure it has its ups and downs, but opinion seems to vary so much that you're going to be much better off just deciding for yourself.

Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Wazzim

Banned
CruxisMana said:
Play it for yourself. Sure it has its ups and downs, but opinion seems to vary so much that you're going to be much better off just deciding for yourself.

Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I just finished it, more of a "meh" game but 100% worth playing through (does that make sense? lol), it has it's moments.
Worth buying =)

jetpacks was yes said:

That 20 hours before it gets fun thing is total bull. If you aren't at least having some fun 3 hours in, the game isn't for you. Yeah, some will say it gets really good at the 20 hour mark (which I personally disagree with) but that isn't to say the game is devoid of fun prior. I would say the game gets excellent at chapter 7 (which I think is like 10 hours in).

Combine

Banned
Cep said:
Cannot be said enough.
Oh man, I'm at the start of Chapter 10 and I don't know if I want to continue, lol

I already had a bad feeling when I first saw the level
underground tunnels
and how it'd be so ripe for the utter shitty ass level design like Chapter 5.

I'm definitely not feeling the story of this game at all either. The plot twists are so damn stupid and the characters mostly are mostly ones you could care less of.

Oh and lol @
the great Jihl Nabaat getting killed out of nowhere before even a fight.
Talk about the ultimate troll, and a complete and total waste of a character. :lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Combine said:
Oh man, I'm at the start of Chapter 10 and I don't know if I want to continue, lol

underground tunnels

I'm definitely not feeling the story of this game at all either. The plot twists are so damn stupid and the characters mostly are mostly ones you could care less of.

Oh and lol @
Talk about the ultimate troll, and a complete and total waste of a character. :lol

Chapter 10 is terribad. But really isn't that long if you know what you're doing.

And yes
Jihl is so ridiculously worthless.

Cornbread78

Combine said:

underground tunnels

Oh and lol @

C'mon, look ont the bright side, it's a great place to farm some
ooze

Seriously, you get murky, shiny, transparent, bright etc. :D Oh, and the little purple mushroom flower guys (reminds me of a Grateful Dead concert) are easy to kill with a little "Aggression" paridigm switch.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So I'm in Ch. 9 now, taking my time, ~17 hours and change in.

Question: I have like 45,000 gil saved up because I never spend it, and from selling those sell-only Incentive Chips or whatever. Would it be a good idea to buy Titanium Bracelets for everyone (one slot each, I guess) or should I save my money up for some future upgrades?

Speaking of upgrading, I have yet to do that either, but I'm saving all my past accessories and components for whenever I feel the need.

Really, really loving this game, which is amazing considering after the first 2 hours I nearly put it down and walked away because the story made no sense. Now that I understand the terms that everyone uses, it's much more enjoyable.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Got to Pulse and beat about 3 or 4 of those mark missions. Should I do anything more (level?) or continue with the plot?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I dunno but I found Chapter 5 (
Gapra Whitewoods
) much more horrible than Chapter 10. Ch5 felt like it was fooooorrrreeeeevvvvveeeeerrrrr.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
cosmicblizzard said:
Gapra Whitewood was pretty at least. Chapter 10 was a tunnel with no variety at all.

The last part of Ch10 was pretty.
after you kill Bahamut and walk through a ruined city

The Gapra Whitewood was a really amazingly designed location, though. That's the one place in the game that really took my breath away with how different it looked from just about anything else I'd seen.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Chapter 10's long dungeon underground reminded me of the forced dungeon at the beginning of Xenogears Disc 2

the only DLC I really want is the addition of a New Game +, if that would even be possible. I'd really love to roll through this game with juiced up stats. :D

oh- the addition of a 'theater' (like in FFX and X-2) would be nice as well.

Chapter 11's boss is pissing me off. Is this just a long endurance match that is made annoying by the inclusion of doom at the end?

Edit: yes I know all bosses have doom, don't remind me

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
TheJollyCorner said:
the only DLC I really want is the addition of a New Game +, if that would even be possible. I'd really love to roll through this game with juiced up stats. :D
oh man, I would totally love this (for an hour or two at least)

Scythesurge said:
Chapter 11's boss is pissing me off. Is this just a long endurance match that is made annoying by the inclusion of doom at the end?
Doom is only cast if you're taking way too long. Reconsider your strategy.

Let me in

Trojita said:
Got to Pulse and beat about 3 or 4 of those mark missions. Should I do anything more (level?) or continue with the plot?

On my first playthrough, I tried to go forward after a just a few missions and realized I wasn't leveled up enough. You'll do a lot better by missioning and then moving on. I did every mission, hit a brick wall and then moved forward.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Let me in said:
On my first playthrough, I tried to go forward after a just a few missions and realized I wasn't leveled up enough. You'll do a lot better by missioning and then moving on. I did every mission, hit a brick wall and then moved forward.
yeah, do a few, mainly any of the ones that are BROWN on your map (they are teleport points), but otherwise don't go too mission crazy if you're the sort of guy who will fall off the rails without a bit of story motivation or what have you. the XP you get from running from mission to mission (like, 1 to 5 or 6) and area to area should be plenty.

Rez said:
Doom is only cast if you're taking way too long. Reconsider your strategy.
Well I guess my question was what strategy should I be going for? I'm using Light/Hope/Fang and I don't think I can fight much better without switching up my team, which I'd rather not do because I hate setting up the paradigms.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Scythesurge said:
Well I guess my question was what strategy should I be going for? I'm using Light/Hope/Fang and I don't think I can fight much better without switching up my team, which I'd rather not do because I hate setting up the paradigms.
My only advice is to make sure that you buff your team when you get the chance (I used Sazh for this, I just let the AI control him in SYN) and debuff the boss when possible (I used Fang for this, also AI in SAB).

My other character was Lightning.

Basically, I wanted to make sure that once time came to stagger the boss, I was fully charged up and ready to unleash hell. So, a set with COM/SYN/SAB would be kind of useful, if only to keep the bar up (although an AI SAB can do this if you need to put Lightning into MED, but it is less reliable).

I can't remember whether or not this is true of this boss, but sometimes bosses are more effected by status ailments when staggered, so consider having a RAV/RAV/SAB (or something similar) for when that happens.

Otherwise, make sure you prioritize healing and buffing so that you can actually stay alive. I also upgraded an anti-daze accessory using random materials (I still don't understand the upgrade system, it's the only time I ever bothered with it outside of when it first unlocked) and put it on my MED to make sure they were always around to heal and cast esuna.

I wish I could be more helpful!

ULTROS!

Wow this is surprising:

http://asia.playstation.com/hk/cht/news/pressDetail/145660

I used a translator (Chinese to English) and this apparently came up:

PlayStation ® 3 "FINAL FANTASY ® XIII Traditional Chinese
Voice - Japanese language
Subtitles, menus - Traditional Chinese / English / Korean
Release date - May 27, 2010

Al....most.....there......

I can smell the platinum. Fuck Treasure Hunter.

I almost gave this up last week as I had a pretty crappy method for farm -toises (10min cycle at Eden). Hadn't planned on farming the Shao-Long Guis for Dark Matters because I cheesed my Long Gui trophy (2 Elixirs and 3 Summons). However took the risk and after 15 mins got a kick arse method to down those fuckers in 2 1/2 mins. (Daze is the best debuff...)

Managed to get all the Dark Matters in about an hour, went back to Eden and using the same trick on the Adamantoise there can take that fucker down, without summon, in 2 mins flat. So it's grind grind grind for Platinum Ingots now. Just straight reset if no drop and save reset if drop. I've got it down to a 3min avg cycle so can nail 20 of those fuckers an hour. Need about 10-15 more plats and then its time to see that robot-fuck Bhakti for the trophy.

90hr Plat it's looking like.

Lightning said:
I used that setup except I swapped Sprint Shoes for Survivalist's Catalog.

This will give you:

Random Instant chain
ATB Rate + 10%

I then just cast Haste manually at the start of the fight and Lightning is just amazing....

After obtaining your last Acc slot, add Nimbletoe Shoes to increase the ATB rate some more and watch her avoid attacks like no other as a Sentinal while her attacks recharge the ATB bar so fast that she is basically attacking non stop.

This is what makes Lightning, imo, the best character. She raises the chain guage ridicliously fast, gets far more attacks in then anyone else, while her fantastic speed allows her to evade many attacks that other characters cannot avoid.

Yeah I can't wait until I get another slot so i can drop some Nimbletoe shoes in there but even with my current setup she is nearly non-stop attacking until the haste in the sprint shoes wears off. I haven't tried to use her as a Sentinal but I may go back and max that out at end-game.

C.T.

Agent Icebeezy said:
I knew I couldn't escape the grinding.
In Gran Pulse right now, getting my ass handed to me, lol
any help is greatly appreciated. :D

Try to surprise attack a behemoth and kill him before he transforms. Otherwise your dead without good equipment. A good place is where a behemoth fights this wolf like thing. You'll always be able to suprise attack them and they have just 50% of their hp. Kill the behemoth first. But more important than CP is to get money. Try to kill a adamantoise with Vanillas death spam. I think her crystanium for the death spell unlocks after the boss of chapter 11 or 12 though. Another good place is north of grand pulse with these sharman like birds. They are easy to surprise attack and not really strong. Try to upgrade your accesoiries, especially strength rings and earth resistence for later turtle fights. Hermes shoes can be upgraded to dash shoes (auto haste) or by buying 4 iron bangles and dismantling a tetra tiara. (its important that you have own the iron bangles before you've got the tetra tiara and to dismantle the tiara maxed, which doesn't cost a lot of exp fortunately.) Mission 7 drops tetra tiara or tetra crown. A tetra crown can be upgraded to a tiara (auto shell, protect and faith?).

Cornbread78

Fu(king Boss in Chp. 10
Cid, WTF? I tried finishing this one up before work last night, I got him all the way down to a tiny sliver of energy after about twn minutes, then BOOM! he unleashes a ridiculas attack, killing everyone in my party, WTF?
How do you counter-act this, everyone's based Chryo stats are maxed and I sarted unlocking the others, but the CP drops are not nearly enough in the area, since it takes about 5 battles to get enough to unlock 1 crystal.

Any tricks out there?

Cornbread78 said:
300px-SpyHeadAsplode-1.gif

Ummm... does your avatar potentially breach TOS?

Chris R

So finally beat the main game, now wondering what to do. Still not powerful enough to down a Adamantoise, and haven't yet maxed out my CP. I'm thinking get a growth egg and then farm CP -> Upgrade weapons -> own missions?

jiggle

you're powerful enough to kill adamantortoises with death
definitely get growth egg first
i'd mix cp farming with killing adamantortoises, this way you don't let those precious TP go to waste

Chris R

Thing is I've never used Vanille after I didn't have to :lol I guess I have to use the debuff improve wand? Any other must have items?

And the growth egg is like mission 53 or something right?

jiggle

yeah her belladona --> malboro wand
clay ring is a must on all 3 characters
if you have lots of CP saved up from the end of the game, i'd suggest maxing sab on van/fang/hope first
that'll help death land

either mission 53 or 54, can't remember :X

TheJollyCorner said:

oh- the addition of a 'theater' (like in FFX and X-2) would be nice as well.
I think New Game+ could work out perfectly well if it's something like FFX-2. Make you lose all of your Crystarium levels, keep your equipment but push its levels back down to 1 (so you'd finally get to find out what a Level 1 Omega Weapon's stats are like), and let you keep your gil and the stores that you had already unlocked, so there'd be a moderate amount of recovering CP and weapon exp, BUT you'd start off with lv. 1 Wurtzite Bangles, ATB+1 from your ultimate weapons despite their lowered levels, et cetera. That'd be a great way to keep it interesting without undoing the work put into late-game grinding for traps/dark matters since your transformed equipment would stay transformed and just lose its levels.

Having the CPx2 and item farming accessories right from the start would make the grindy aspects of the game significantly less strenuous anyway. Game really needs to add an accessory that converts CP into Gil though.

Arsenic

To anyone that has the Platinum Trophy/1000g and or Treasure Hunter Trophy:

Is components counted? Besides Weapons and Accessories?

Because I'm a big fucking nerd, I took the liberty of figuring out what it'd look like if you took the best stats of the ultimate weapons at lvl 100 and gave them each of the best abilities.

Lightning:
Omega Weapon+ (let's just call it that)
750/750 str/mag
Attack: ATB Charge II
Improve Raise II
Quick Stagger

Sazh:
Total Eclipses+
1150/1150 str/mag
Augmented Maintenance II
Chain Bonus Boost II
Stagger Maintenance II

Snow:
Save the Queen+
1020/1050 str/mag
Improved Guard II
Power Surge II
Improved Ward II

Hope:
Nue+
926/917 str/mag
Siphon Boost II
Defense Maintenance II
Critical Shield II

Vanille:
Nirvana+
828/912 str/mag
Improved Cure II
Ally KO: Power Surge II
Improved Debuffing II

Fang:
Kain's Lance+
962/941 str/mag
Stagger: TP Charge II
Improved Debuffing II
Improved Counter II

you're welcome. make it happen square-enix

BTW, given that each character maxes out at pretty wildly different stats, with these characters and the above imaginary ultimate weapons you'd have, at maximum crystarium levels:

Lightning
2450 str
2450 mag
20,000 HP

Sazh
2250 str
2250 mag
27,000 HP

Snow
2520 str
2250 mag
30,000 hp

Hope:
2026 str
2817 mag
18,000 hp

Vanille:
2228 str
2612 mag
21,050 hp

Fang:
2967 str
2241 mag
24,000 hp

Hope's low HP, of course, would be aided by Critical: Shield II under this scenario.

Some kind of 'definitive' ultimate weapon for each character would absolutely be a good thing for the game. It'd be sort of reminiscent of the awesome Celestial Weapons in FFX.

The Quick Stagger/Attack: ATB Charge II combo would make Lightning FUCKMAZING too. Also Sazh's combination of Chain Bonus Boost and Stagger Maintenance.

C.T.

Cornbread78 said:
Fu(king Boss in Chp. 10
Cid, WTF? I tried finishing this one up before work last night, I got him all the way down to a tiny sliver of energy after about twn minutes, then BOOM! he unleashes a ridiculas attack, killing everyone in my party, WTF?
How do you counter-act this, everyone's based Chryo stats are maxed and I sarted unlocking the others, but the CP drops are not nearly enough in the area, since it takes about 5 battles to get enough to unlock 1 crystal.

Any tricks out there?

You took to long? Enemies tend to use ultima which kills you, if you took to long. Are you buffing and debuffing, trying to stagger him? What strategy are you using? Buffing and debuffing is essential to defeat enemies fast.

Arsenic

rataven said:
Nope, just weapons and accessories.
Okay, I was asking for my friend. He's 120 hours into the game and thought hes done everything he can with his weapon upgrades and accessories, but didn't get the trophy? Anyway to help him calm down lol

rataven

Arsenic said:
Okay, I was asking for my friend. He's 120 hours into the game and thought hes done everything he can with his weapon upgrades and accessories, but didn't get the trophy? Anyway to help him calm down lol
He has to talk to the robot in Oerba. If he has everything, he'll get the trophy. If he doesn't, the robot will say something about there being more treasures to discover.

Arsenic

rataven said:
He has to talk to the robot in Oerba. If he has everything, he'll get the trophy. If he doesn't, the robot will say something about there being more treasures to discover.
Is says he doesnt have them all, which sucks for him because now he has no clue as to what is missing. :lol

jiggle

rhfb said:
Just tried that mission to get the Growth Egg... NOT GOOD :lol

Going to try death farming now I guess.

use the death method on that mission also
if it doesn't land after 3 casts
hit retry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom