• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

rataven

Arsenic said:
Is says he doesnt have them all, which sucks for him because now he has no clue as to what is missing. :lol
There's a bangle that seems to get missed fairly often. You can only buy it, unless you transform the one before it. It's the titanium or tungsten, can't remember which. And he probably knows this, but each character has a weapon that can only be bought, and those each need to be upgraded. Could also be one of the elemental charms that are only found in treasure spheres on Gran Pulse. There're easy to forget about.

That's all I've got. Good luck to him!

C.T.

rataven said:
There's a bangle that seems to get missed fairly often. You can only buy it, unless you transform the one before it. It's the titanium or tungsten, can't remember which. And he probably knows this, but each character has a weapon that can only be bought, and those each need to be upgraded. Could also be one of the elemental charms that are only found in treasure spheres on Gran Pulse. There're easy to forget about.

That's all I've got. Good luck to him!

I'm in the same boat. Have all trophys but treasure hunter and don't know what I forgot to upgrade. Yeah, could be a elemental charm but not sure.

Chris R

jiggle said:
use the death method on that mission also
if it doesn't land after 3 casts
hit retry
I'll try that then. Right now I'm farming in Eden. Already done 2 (no drops yet... :D ) and seem to have a good success rate with my current setup. Sucks I have to go and try to get my TP back to summon after that but whatever.

edit: Got the growth egg. Took forever though :lol Sitting at 5/6 plat ingots 0/6 traps. With the egg I think farming should get better though, might be switching to the Sazh method with enough stats.

Combine

Banned
Ugh, managed to slog my way through Chapter 10. At least I didn't die too much, nor on the boss.

Heh, when I reached the boss, I was thrilled because it was "huh, that level wasn't so bad". But then, that's where the cruel joke came about afterward when you realize you're only done with like, half the freaking level. :lol

And what's worse is all the completely abusive level design repetition was pretty much in that second half. Such a blatant attempt to increase play-time with such a shoddy repetitive level.

neoism

Well, this is the FF13 complain thread :p, So, I guess I finally found one thing I'm really not loving at all in this game. Plat ing farming. I've killed over 200 turtles, and I've only made about 5 mil. Is that enough... I though I was done, and went to go do more missions. I was basically killing the 4 turtles in the big pulse map, and then reload, but I wouldn't look at my spoils page( it's better not knowing)!. So I killed about 50 turtles and finally looked and only had 16 Plat ing :( I have enough traps, still need to do 4 more 3 tiers, and do all the final accessorizes.. :( I don't want this game to end, I played for 130 hours, and loved every minute of it, but daaamn is turtle/ing farming getting old. It's 37% drop, why is it like 1 ing out of every 5 turtles.
I think it's been proven wrong, but does stacking the catalog's really not help at all. My friend said he put 3 on one character and got 7 ing in a row!

:/

f-castrillo

Neo Member
jiggle said:
yeah her belladona --> malboro wand
clay ring is a must on all 3 characters
if you have lots of CP saved up from the end of the game, i'd suggest maxing sab on van/fang/hope first
that'll help death land

either mission 53 or 54, can't remember :X
Misson 55, actually :D

badcrumble said:
I think New Game+ could work out perfectly well if it's something like FFX-2. Make you lose all of your Crystarium levels, keep your equipment but push its levels back down to 1 (so you'd finally get to find out what a Level 1 Omega Weapon's stats are like), and let you keep your gil and the stores that you had already unlocked, so there'd be a moderate amount of recovering CP and weapon exp, BUT you'd start off with lv. 1 Wurtzite Bangles, ATB+1 from your ultimate weapons despite their lowered levels, et cetera. That'd be a great way to keep it interesting without undoing the work put into late-game grinding for traps/dark matters since your transformed equipment would stay transformed and just lose its levels.

Having the CPx2 and item farming accessories right from the start would make the grindy aspects of the game significantly less strenuous anyway. Game really needs to add an accessory that converts CP into Gil though.
I agree with this. I wonder if it's out of the question for SE to actually do something like this. Being the money hungry company they are now, they'll probably just release Final Fantasy XIII International with said functionality instead :lol

Cornbread78

radiantdreamer said:
Ummm... does your avatar potentially breach TOS?

I checked with the MODs in the Avatar thread and they cleared it, so I'm good there. I can go back to my human peeing fire if you'd like that one better? He has a fire demon and mortal form.

iratA

Cornbread78 said:
I checked with the MODs in the Avatar thread and they cleared it, so I'm good there. I can go back to my human peeing fire if you'd like that one better? He has a fire demon and mortal form.

Charming :{

Cornbread78

iratA said:
Charming :{

th_firepeeman.jpg

since you asked, LOL

Cornbread78

C.T. said:
You took to long? Enemies tend to use ultima which kills you, if you took to long. Are you buffing and debuffing, trying to stagger him? What strategy are you using? Buffing and debuffing is essential to defeat enemies fast.

I finally did defeat
Cid
last night, unfotunately, I only got two stars, but the misery was over at least. I used the buffs and debuffs, but he kept debuffing and buffing me at the same time, I was able to excape by alternating between
solidarity and Relentless Attack paridigms each time he shifted unltil I got his energy low enough and just left it on Relentless Attack just long enough to finish him off, barely! (each character had less than 500 h/ps left) I had to save the game, but I guess Gran Pulse is next. Time for the endless grind.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
What motherfucker at S-E decided that it would be a grand idea to have a blaring siren going on near continuously as you slog your way through Ch. 9? I mean really people! No one caught this during testing?

Still loving the game, though, but geez. Makes me want to stab ice picks into my ears.

Cornbread78

Diseased Yak said:
What motherfucker at S-E decided that it would be a grand idea to have a blaring siren going on near continuously as you slog your way through Ch. 9? I mean really people! No one caught this during testing?

Still loving the game, though, but geez. Makes me want to stab ice picks into my ears.

Is annoying as hell, but turn the sound off, turn your iPod on and grind 'dem soldiers for awhile baby. Incentive Chips put out $2500 bucks a pop at the store.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I just finished the game again last night with my friends, we were laughing at the entire final dialogue.

We can make the impossible possible!
Miracles CAN happen. *Vanille Squeaky Voice*

ULTROS! said:
I just finished the game again last night with my friends, we were laughing at the entire final dialogue.

We can make the impossible possible!
Miracles CAN happen. *Vanille Squeaky Voice*

In Lightning's defense it is almost impossible to make dialog this stupid.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Fimbulvetr said:
In Lightning's defense it is almost impossible to make dialog this stupid.

Lightning: Congrats

eznark

Banned
Progenital Insa-Death after 20 minutes on the last boss.

FUCK YOU GAME

At this point I am only continuing because I want to finish it after 60 hours of wasted time. Plus, I deserve a mother fucking trophy for slogging through this.

Chris R

eznark said:
Progenital Insa-Death after 20 minutes on the last boss.

FUCK YOU GAME

At this point I am only continuing because I want to finish it after 60 hours of wasted time. Plus, I deserve a mother fucking trophy for slogging through this.
WTF are you doing to make the final boss take 20 minuets? Go through all your paradigms and maybe readjust your party. Also check to make sure you have at least equipped your main with a cherub crown. Easy ass battle really. Part two was a bit tougher due to the doom counter, but there is really no way in hell the first part should take 20 minuets.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Ok, I just met the last boss... awesome place. Who would have thought that piece of marketing made sense. Oh well.

So balthanders (or whatever, my countries' heavily localized) was a piece'o cake. But the Orphan - btw what the fuck is that thing? Balthanders (or his bird - maybe Balthanders IS the bird?) goes for a swim and becomes the Orphan? Nice design, it looked pretty medieval to me - the iconography and overal structure, the flat face... I digress.

The point is, I get a first stagger on him and I shred 4 million hitpoints off him leaving it at 2,2 mio. At that point I can't cope anymore with his damage output and cheatDeath gets me.

My god, so annoying. Constant damage spam. Buff wiping. And the cheatDeath to boot.

eznark

Banned
Bitmap Frogs said:
Ok, I just met the last boss... awesome place. Who would have thought that piece of marketing made sense. Oh well.

So balthanders (or whatever, my countries' heavily localized) was a piece'o cake. But the Orphan - btw what the fuck is that thing? Balthanders (or his bird - maybe Balthanders IS the bird?) goes for a swim and becomes the Orphan? Nice design, it looked pretty medieval to me - the iconography and overal structure, the flat face... I digress.

The point is, I get a first stagger on him and I shred 4 million hitpoints off him leaving it at 2,2 mio. At that point I can't cope anymore with his damage output and cheatDeath gets me.

My god, so annoying. Constant damage spam. Buff wiping. And the cheatDeath to boot.

same experience I had. Apparently we're just retarded.

Chris R

Not saying you are retarded. You have to have either Hope or Vanille in your final group with a decently upgraded weapon (aka a 2nd tier weapon starred or in the mid 40s+) as a near constant healer. I just did this two days ago, my party was Fang/Hope/Lightning, pretty close to maxed out stats for the main classes of each character for that point of the game, sprint shoes for everyone, cherub crown for Lightning, and then just str/magic items for Hope/Fang. If you have any item drop accessories, take them off as neither boss drops anything. Hope was medic/synergist the entire time minus a few seconds of rav/rav/com during staggers. Fang was com/sen/sab depending on what I needed. Lightning spammed Army of One and I think I only had to drop into med/med/sen once, after the very first giant sword attack that takes 95% of your health away.

eznark

Banned
I have lighting/fang/hope and was constantly buffing/debuffing/healing and attacking. Often times I had a healer.

I was whupping his ass no problem, slowly chipping away when all of a sudden he dropped the hammer with that cheap death shit.

I haven't upgraded any weapons really, and I have two mains leveled most of the way. I didn't grind that much and don't really have the patience to do it now. Will upgrading my weapons help a lot?

I have no idea what a cherub crown is.

Chris R

eznark said:
I have lighting/fang/hope and was constantly buffing/debuffing/healing and attacking. Often times I had a healer.

I was whupping his ass no problem, slowly chipping away when all of a sudden he dropped the hammer with that cheap death shit.

I haven't upgraded any weapons really, and I have two mains leveled most of the way. I didn't grind that much and don't really have the patience to do it now. Will upgrading my weapons help a lot?

I have no idea what a cherub crown is.
Cherub Crown gives 30% resist instant death. You should have found at least one in Chapter 12 I believe (or maybe it was Chapter 13). Fully upgraded it gives 60%, and then add veil onto that, basically impervious to instant Death. If you didn't find one in a treasure sphere, check to see if you can buy one from B&W.

Upgraded weapons help quite a bit in my opinion. If you have bonus gil, buy some stuff to upgrade the weapons you are using.

Lightning

Banned
Orphan absorbed Dysley's dying corpse and created a shell with it.

Anyway, my strategy for the final fight:

- Cast Deprotect, Deshell, Impreil and Poison on the final boss. Keep these on him at all times
- Buff yourself at all times, this will help prevent you getting negative status effects put on you. Poison + Big sword attack = Game over

When the White ord is out, use a Rav/Rav/Rav combo to stagger the enemy and then switch to a Com setup and attack as much as you can. When the Black ord comes out, so do the status effects so keep yourself buff and only attack when you can but priortise on healing and buffing yourself, towards the end of the fight both orbs are out together. All I did was buff myself, keep Orphan under negative status, attack whenever you can but Poison will greatly help kill Orphan during this section.

I needed to stagger him twice before I could kill him.

My party setup was like this:

Lightning:

Power Glove maxed
Impreil Armlet maxed
Royal Armlet maxed

Vanille:

Sorcerers Mark maxed
Royal Armlet Maxed
Rune Armlet maxed

Hope:

Weirding Glyph Maxed
Royal Armlet maxed
Rune Armlet maxed

I generally always focus on damaging minimizing accesories so that I don't have to keep going to Med and that allows me to focus more on offense.

Hardest complusary fight of the game, imo, but not that hard.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
I used vanille/fang/hope on the last boss.
SAB/SEN/SYN until you have most buffs(veil is very important) and he is poisoned. Then RAV/SEN/RAV until he is staggered after which you switch to RAV/COM/RAV. Repeat the same tactic once more and he will be dead. Remember to switch to MED/SEN/MED when needed.

Lightning

Banned
Dimmuxx said:
I used vanille/fang/hope on
orphan
. SAB/SEN/SYN until you have most buffs(veil is very important) and he is poisoned. Then RAV/SEN/RAV until he is staggered after which you switch to RAV/COM/RAV. Repeat the same tactic once more and he will be dead. Remember to switch to MED/SEN/MED when needed.
WTF...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I bet the last boss fairly comfortably with Light as my only MED.

Just sayin'.

reKon

Banned
Finally got this game. I hope to start next week sometime. What's the avg amount of time it takes to beat for people?

Pooya

reKon said:
Finally got this game. I hope to start next week sometime. What's the avg amount of time it takes to beat for people?
45-50 hours - can be finished in less than 40 though, if you go for doing all the missions it can take up to 80-100 hours.

Been meaning to ask this:

What's the 1080p scaling like? Crappy, or looks the same as 720p native? I ask because i'll be playing on PS3 in 1080p to take advantage of the cutscenes, but don't want my gameplay to look like ass in the process.

Lightning

Banned
reKon said:
If you just want to beat the game and ignore trophies/achievements and missions then this game will take between 30-40hrs.

If you want to do everything then this game will take anywhere between 70 to 100+hrs.

Pooya

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Been meaning to ask this:

What's the 1080p scaling like? Crappy, or looks the same as 720p native? I ask because i'll be playing on PS3 in 1080p to take advantage of the cutscenes, but don't want my gameplay to look like ass in the process.
It's very good actually, Digital Foundry had some comparisons for 1080p vs 720p, definitely use 1080p output.

Picked up the 360 version from Kmart for $30 a few days ago and just started it up. FF series fan here, but had no time for games for a couple months so wasn't going to buy until ready to play.

I have an idea of what to expect and to be patient for how long it will take to get to the more open environments and for the guided hand-holding to end. Otherwise have managed to avoid spoilers beyond what summons will be available.

Diablos

I'm just glad that I'm far along enough to not really care that the lost boss was just mentioned above -- it becomes pretty obvious after the fight with
Barthandeleus
in
Oerba
that
Orphan
is the final boss.

I NEED TO FINISH THIS GAME. Blaaaah.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Valkyr Junkie said:
Seriously? Bosses will fucking cast doom on you if you're taking too long? Fuck this piece of shit game.

Really? I mean.. I hate the game and got rid of it but I didn't ever have a problem with bosses casting doom.

My problem is the fact everything in the game takes far too damn long... the gameplay isn't interesting enough to deal with 5 minute battles. Then again, the GAF mind doesn't agree with me since I like random battles (as long as they aren't too frequent...) and turn based menu based battle systems of the old days.

Maybe if the gameplay was interesting it would be worth playing but nope, one of the most boring and terrible games in the series (before playing I figured 12 was worse... after playing 13 is the worst in the series...)

Ah well, the Final Fantasy series isn't for me anymore, it changed... but SE still has me due to KH3 (inevitable), Nier is pretty damn awesome o_O, and FFVXIII has Nomura, so its not all bad.

I just started playing this yesterday. I'm about 3 hours in and I still don't think I'm finished with the intro tutorial levels.

As of this point, I have no idea what the fuck is going on with the story, people just keep dropping to their knees, and there's a lengthy cutscene every five steps that I take. The battles are incredibly easy and I seem to keep winning by just mashing X without even paying attention to the screen.

My biggest pet peeve is how the game expects you to read the datalog to fill yourself in with everything that's going on instead of the story doing it for you.

As of now, I'm pretty bored with this game. Maybe SE should just make CG movies instead or design clothes because that's the only thing I've found somewhat interesting in this game so far. The OST is pretty solid though.

Combine

Banned
Probably the most annoying thing is that stupid damn first paradigm shifting scene where the entire team can't do anything while it occurs yet the enemies can still attack you (and kill you usually).

Who's bright idea was that?

The characters are probably the biggest problem with the story in the game. I couldn't care less about any of them, because they barely give you any backstories on them, and what they do tell doesn't really give any emotional support to them.

Lighting: Ice-cold bitch who's only purpose is eye-candy and trying to act tough
Snow: Dumb big-hearted guy who's love and ideas come off as more foolish and desperate than genuine
Hope: "I'm just along for the ride because my mommy was killed"
Vanille: "I serve no purpose than to be completely annoying"
Sazh: Actually, he's probably the character that had the most emotional support because of his son. Even though he's treated more like comic relief.
Fang: Angry bitch who was quite clearly designed to be a man first before they changed her into a woman.

Magnus

I never encountered the Doom encounter outside of Eidolon battles, and never really grinded at all, except an hour or so in Chapter 11.

But yeah, re: final battle,
that cheat Death spell
is the absolute icing on the cake of that shitfest. I was so frustrated. Would have been a one-shot without that aggravation.

Lightning

Banned
Combine said:
Probably the most annoying thing is that stupid damn first paradigm shifting scene where the entire team can't do anything while it occurs yet the enemies can still attack you (and kill you usually).

Who's bright idea was that?

The characters are probably the biggest problem with the story in the game. I couldn't care less about any of them, because they barely give you any backstories on them, and what they do tell doesn't really give any emotional support to them.

Lighting: Ice-cold bitch who's only purpose is eye-candy and trying to act tough
Snow: Dumb big-hearted guy who's love and ideas come off as more foolish and desperate than genuine
Hope: "I'm just along for the ride because my mommy was killed"
Vanille: "I serve no purpose than to be completely annoying"
Sazh: Actually, he's probably the character that had the most emotional support because of his son. Even though he's treated more like comic relief.
Fang: Angry bitch who was quite clearly designed to be a man first before they changed her into a woman.
How far in are you? Because by the end of the game if that's still your impression then you've missed the point and the backstories of the characters has just gone straight over your head.

If anything, this game focused WAY too much on the main characters backstories too the point that every other character in the game just got brushed aside.

Combine

Banned
Lightning said:
How far in are you? Because by the end of the game if that's still your impression then you've missed the point and the backstories of the characters has just gone straight over your head.

If anything, this game focused WAY too much on the main characters backstories too the point that every other character in the game just got brushed aside.
Gran Pulse

I know that's more than halfway through the game, possibly two-thirds of the way. If the characters only get better at the very end, then that's still pretty shitty writing and dialog. The problem with Lighting and Snow for example is that the majority of the time their purpose and resolve is for
Serah
, who is probably the most uninteresting character ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom