• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cep

Banned
Magnus said:
I never encountered the Doom encounter outside of Eidolon battles, and never really grinded at all, except an hour or so in Chapter 11.

But yeah, re: final battle,
that cheat Death spell
is the absolute icing on the cake of that shitfest. I was so frustrated. Would have been a one-shot without that aggravation.

Did you do all the missions?

eznark

Banned
Beat the last fight on my second attempt. I think the cherub crown was key because it was suuuuper easy that time. Even 5-starred it I think.

I really, really, really tried to like this game. There were point when honestly I loved it. By now it's been beaten to death, but the first part of the game killed all the momentum. Once I got to 11 I just wanted the game to be over with, which sucks because I can see that it's a cool area and doing the missions would probably be fun. I just have no desire to ever go back to this game at this point.

Maybe it's just me (doesn't seem like anyone has talked about the story?) but I had no clue what was going on at any point in this game. The end was 10x more confusing than the rest of the game.

Battle system was freaking incredible! It's right up there with my favorites. Crappy thing about FF games is it probably will never be used again, which is a shame. I'd love to see them churn out 15 quick, using this engine and this battle system, but make it a return to old school Final Fantasy's, like an homage to IX or something. That would be dope as hell.

Also, uh, was there no trophy for beating the game?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Hmm... I'm now in Chapter 8, some 14h into the game. I'm thinking about whether I should finish it or just call it a day.

I find the game quite tedious. Going ahead in a virtual tube, fighting easy enemy after easy enemy. I've started to play with my laptop on my side, playing and browsing simultaneously to avoid getting bored. I'm not finding the story really great yet, either.

So three problems.

No sense of discovery. Just grind ahead in a pipe.
No sense of challenge. Enemies are button mashing grade challenges.
No sense of spectacle. Story is uneventful.

I'm quite surprised, because I loved FFX and Lost Odyssey.

If its another 14h, I could just push through. If it's double that, then I'd probably pack up.

Shadow780

The last boss
(forms)
didn't even had time to spam the
special death attacks
, I actually had to load back to see what it is.

I mean, this game is already forcing you to do their ways in so many aspects, what's a little "hurry the fuck up" warning in battles?

I'm 77 hrs in and ALMOST have the treasure hunter trophy, damnit I need to be done with this shit before Red Dead comes out. It's so weird but farming/grinding while listening to podcasts is the most relaxing end of workday experience for me now :lol Kinda sad really

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Shadow780 said:
The last boss
(forms)
didn't even had time to spam the
special death attacks
, I actually had to load back to see what it is.

I mean, this game is already forcing you to do their ways in so many aspects, what's a little "hurry the fuck up" warning in battles?
I actually never had Death or anything like that cast on me either. Maybe because I'm such a badass.

Rpgmonkey

Chittagong said:
Hmm... I'm now in Chapter 8, some 14h into the game. I'm thinking about whether I should finish it or just call it a day.

I find the game quite tedious. Going ahead in a virtual tube, fighting easy enemy after easy enemy. I've started to play with my laptop on my side, playing and browsing simultaneously to avoid getting bored. I'm not finding the story really great yet, either.

So three problems.

No sense of discovery. Just grind ahead in a pipe.
No sense of challenge. Enemies are button mashing grade challenges.
No sense of spectacle. Story is uneventful.

I'm quite surprised, because I loved FFX and Lost Odyssey.

If its another 14h, I could just push through. If it's double that, then I'd probably pack up.

Most of the exploration and "challenge" (more like you're suddenly thrown into brawls with monsters that hit really hard or easily overwhelm you) comes in at Chapter 11.

If the story's still uneventful to you it doesn't really get much better or worse.

Chris R

Finally got my first Trap, put it on the debuffing wand Vanille has so I can dismantle it. Any ultra easy way to farm a load of gil or should I just keep farming Adamantoises? Eventually it would be nice to IDK, be able to kill one straight up without having to summon so I can just farm them on GP at a much quicker rate :lol

Valkyr Junkie said:
Seriously? Bosses will fucking cast doom on you if you're taking too long? Fuck this piece of shit game.
Difficulty! Ah! Time to bash the game for it! I hate things being difficult!

EVERYTHING SHOULD BE EASY

jiggle

Rez said:
I actually never had Death or anything like that cast on me either. Maybe because I'm such a badass.

i don't recall ever seeing it from any nonsummon boss fights either
weird

rhfb said:
Finally got my first Trap, put it on the debuffing wand Vanille has so I can dismantle it. Any ultra easy way to farm a load of gil or should I just keep farming Adamantoises? Eventually it would be nice to IDK, be able to kill one straight up without having to summon so I can just farm them on GP at a much quicker rate :lol

should've put it on mistiltenin since u'd want to keep the debuff wand :X
adamantortoises will always be the easiest way to farm gils in the game
if you flag mission 63, u can earn an additional gold ingot (100% drop) for 60k from the turtle u're gonna kill anyway

once you have fang's lv100 kain's lance (made from taming pole) + 1 genji gloves with crystarium maxed, you can fight the turtle without death easily

rhfb said:
Don't dismantle weapons, that's stupid. I don't care if it supposedly gives you three trapezohedrons, if you're going after the Treasure Hunter trophy you'll end up with like eight extra Trapezohedrons anyway (and you'll curse every time you get one beyond the initial necessary six because you'd much rather be getting Platinum Ingots).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ZephyrFate said:

Artificial difficulty placed by the game putting time limits on fights. Using it as a crutch for a certain type of fight is one thing, but basically going "you're playing it WRONG" to someone and punishing them by making them redo a fight is moronic.

jiggle said:
i don't recall ever seeing it from any nonsummon boss fights either
weird

Death or doom? Death was spammed like crazy on me for the end of 12/most of 13. It has a horrible success rate, but the game tried its hardest to screw you.

Chris R

badcrumble said:
Don't dismantle weapons, that's stupid. I don't care if it supposedly gives you three trapezohedrons, if you're going after the Treasure Hunter trophy you'll end up with like eight extra Trapezohedrons anyway (and you'll curse every time you get one beyond the initial necessary six because you'd much rather be getting Platinum Ingots).
Well I was just looking for a somewhat easy way to farm gil (other than adamantoise farming). My plat ingot drop rate is decent like 1/2 but still that takes so damn long to do a single kill with all the tp recharging and everything.

jiggle

Papercuts said:
Death or doom? Death was spammed like crazy on me for the end of 12/most of 13. It has a horrible success right, but the game tried its hardest to screw you.

oops, not the same thing?
only ever saw the countdown one from summon
not an instant death one XD

rhfb said:
Well I was just looking for a somewhat easy way to farm gil (other than adamantoise farming). My plat ingot drop rate is decent like 1/2 but still that takes so damn long to do a single kill with all the tp recharging and everything.

what you can try is to create a a separate save file where u use that 1 trapz to upgrade taming pole to max
and see if u can fight turtle normal way

ZephyrFate said:

Has nothing to do with difficulty and more to do with the game springing a horrible gameplay mechanic on me after 30 hours of playing.

Zzoram

Just to clarify, I can redo the last boss right? I needed only like 1 more hit before the stagger ended to 5-star for the trophy, so I just barely missed it.

Also, now that I'm in post-game, what's the best way to farm cp/gil? I want a low hassle way, so I can do other stuff while grinding.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Zzoram said:
Just to clarify, I can redo the last boss right? I needed only like 1 more hit before the stagger ended to 5-star for the trophy, so I just barely missed it.

Also, now that I'm in post-game, what's the best way to farm cp/gil? I want a low hassle way, so I can do other stuff while grinding.

Yes, you can redo the final boss after you beat the game.

And best place to farm for both CP/Gil early on is probably mission 24. The two beasts fighting by mission 17 (the place everyone knows) is good for CP as well.

But eventually, you'll need to do turtle farming if you're serious about getting the trophies/chievos.

flyover

ZephyrFate said:
I was lucky enough never to have the Doom spell cast on me, but I totally get the complaints. It's not simply a matter of difficulty; it's a matter of artificial difficulty and arbitrary punishment -- especially the first time it happens to you.

You've been fighting a boss for 20 minutes -- slowly, but successfully -- then all of a sudden, you're Doomed. You've just wasted 20 minutes, because of a rule you never knew about, one that doesn't really make sense.

Not that games always need to have consistent internal logic, but if a boss could cast Doom, it should happen at the beginning of battle, like with the
Eidolons
, to let you know the conditions of the fight. The way it is now, it's as if the boss finally remembers after twenty minutes, "Hey, wait a minute. I've got a guaranteed way to win. Should've thought of it sooner. Duh!"

The thing with the doom counter is that you can survive forever in pretty much every boss fight by just having one medic out. Being able to whittle down the boss without any consequences is still a difficulty problem. I'm not saying the doom counter is the best solution but I'd still say it's better than just an endurance match.

Dave1988

Shalong Guis/ Long Guis casting Ultima at the start of the battle is so not on...

*sigh*

How many Dark Matters do I need for the treasure hunter trophy?

entremet

Dave1988 said:
Shalong Guis/ Long Guis casting Ultima at the start of the battle is so not on...

*sigh*

How many Dark Matters do I need for the treasure hunter trophy?
Switch to SEN/SEN/SEN and you'll be fine.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Scythesurge said:
Chapter 12 beginning cut scene - holy crap.

A beautiful disaster of a cutscene. :lol

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
OK game so far. Haven't had much time to play, so I've just left the Vile Peaks and entered the crystal forest place. Linear as fuck, with a 10-hour tutorial, and a story that makes little sense as the game apparently expects me to read all the shit it throws in the datalog (which I haven't bothered doing). Also, the best character so far is by far Sazh's baby chocobo.

And I still hate Snow.

EDIT: And what's this I hear about a doom counter? Fucking shitty game design right there. Fix that shit, SE!

Cep

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
The thing with the doom counter is that you can survive forever in pretty much every boss fight by just having one medic out. Being able to whittle down the boss without any consequences is still a difficulty problem. I'm not saying the doom counter is the best solution but I'd still say it's better than just an endurance match.

The doom counter is just another example of the developers using shortcuts instead if balancing out and structuring their systems.

Same with the upgrade system(both abilities and weapons).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Combichristoffersen said:
OK game so far. Haven't had much time to play, so I've just left the Vile Peaks and entered the crystal forest place. Linear as fuck, with a 10-hour tutorial, and a story that makes little sense as the game apparently expects me to read all the shit it throws in the datalog (which I haven't bothered doing). Also, the best character so far is by far Sazh's baby chocobo.

And I still hate Snow.

EDIT: And what's this I hear about a doom counter? Fucking shitty game design right there. Fix that shit, SE!

He/she's the only character that has sense in the game. :lol

Lightning

Banned
rhfb said:
If you are going to do it the dismantling way then I would fight Sacrifices over and over again.

I done it differently though.

While I was in Chapter 12, I upgraded both Fangs and Vanille's Saboteur weapons and taught Saboteur to another character (Any character, I used Lightning) and then battled the Sacrifices before the
Proudclad boss fight
over and over again until I had over 10million gil. Took me around 7hrs to get over 10mil gil but I just stayed there and fought them until I had it. You just kill all the Sacrifices, enter boss fight, select retry, Sacrifices will have respawned, so you kill them all again. You will be back at the save point by now, so you save and reload, rinse and repeat until you get enough gil. You're really looking for Perfumes but any drop is worth something.

I fould this way A LOT quick then farming bloody turtles... which you should only do for Traps, not gil. Fuck Platinum Ignots... way to rare for such an annoying fight and respawning them is a pain in the ass for such a shitty drop rate.

And I still hate Snow.

I've seen your posts elsewhere and I really don't think you'll like the game at all. You might want to call it a day and hope FFXV appeals to you.

Combichristoffersen

cosmicblizzard said:
I've seen your posts elsewhere and I really don't think you'll like the game at all. You might want to call it a day and hope FFXV appeals to you.

I don't know.. I expected it to be a lot like FF X, which I hated. And it is sort of like FF X. But I think it's decent so far. Sure, it's a huge step down from FF XII, but still a fairly decent game. If anything, there's always the baby chocobo <3

sat0sh1

Neo Member
so... I bought this a while back, but I wanted to finish the bit I was doing in star ocean so that I am at a nice save spot for when I go back to star ocean 4.

well I have to say - I am pleasantly surprized... I really like FF13. I am 8 hours in... somewhere in chapter 4... there's no money at all, and I've just got the upgrade thing, the store seems quite pointless selling worse items than I have. but everything else is great, I like the paradym swap thing.

so there you go. I've read various backlash here and there. but I am enjoying it so far.

how many hours will it take - 1st play through ? for platnium ?

I also have to start resonence of fate, which I will leave until after FF13 now.

thanks!

ULTROS!

I don't know.. I expected it to be a lot like FF X, which I hated. And it is sort of like FF X. But I think it's decent so far. Sure, it's a huge step down from FF XII, but still a fairly decent game. If anything, there's always the baby chocobo <3

and Vanille.

Just kidding!

Papercuts said:
Artificial difficulty placed by the game putting time limits on fights. Using it as a crutch for a certain type of fight is one thing, but basically going "you're playing it WRONG" to someone and punishing them by making them redo a fight is moronic.

The developer reason for time limits on fights is because you have infinite resources and your defensive options are extremely good. It would be possible to beat most main story bosses with 1 medic, 1 sentinel, and 1 ravager with a turbo controller and the X button taped down to autobattle if you had no time limit.

From a difficulty perspective, time limits are an entirely legitimate way to encourage more efficient play, although the game should warn the player ahead of time about it.

Just bringing you your daily dose of logic and game design. I've already resolved this argument on the same thread a dozen pages back, but nobody reads that stuff anyway..

Lightning

Banned
celcius said:
My top 3 songs in the game are:

Snow's theme
Chocobos of Pulse
Battle music

Good stuff :D
What did you think of Fighting Fate?
Barthandelus
theme.

For me, it was the best piece of music by a long way. I loved it a lot.

Combichristoffersen

ULTROS! said:
and Vanille.

Just kidding!

:lol

I don't know what to make of Vanille, really. She's kinda cute, and for some reason I find her accent strangely attractive. But on the other hand her constant happy-go-lucky perkiness is annoying.

Then keep playing I guess. Just so you know, the story doesn't really get good until chapter 7 but you probably won't like it anyway.

Combichristoffersen

cosmicblizzard said:
Then keep playing I guess. Just so you know, the story doesn't really get good until chapter 7 but you probably won't like it anyway.

Eh, I don't think the story seems bad. It just seems like SE tried to cram too much information into the story, so rather than let the game provide the information as you progressed, they threw it all in the datalog and called it a day.

hamchan

cosmicblizzard said:

The story doesn't get good, just less bad :p

EDIT: and then the last chapter takes a massive dive into crap.

Eh, I don't think the story seems bad. It just seems like SE tried to cram too much information into the story, so rather than let the game provide the information as you progressed, they threw it all in the datalog and called it a day.
Yeah pretty much this. If it weren't for the datalog a lot of things wouldn't have made sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom