• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cep

Banned
Aljosa said:
Vanille isn't even that bad.

Compared to some others? Certainly not.

Anise from the JPN TotA or Beryl from ToI are much more painful to listen to.

BocoDragon said:
She's a cutesy Japanese girl character... She is what she is, and that appeals to certain people. If you mean that they couldn't dub her into some sort of less-saccarine girl character which appeals to western attitudes, perhaps that's true, but I'm glad they didn't try.

Again... localized... You mean changed into something that would suit completely different tastes?

It can be done.

LCfiner

RetroGamer42 said:
Picked it up, played about 15-20 minutes of it so far. Just wanted to say that I LOVE how the battles work. I hate the recent trend of RPGs handling combat like MMORPGs. (I'm thinking here of games like Magna Carta 2 and White Knight Chronicles.) FF13 feels more like Chrono Trigger. Hit the enemies on the field, and the Combat still takes place where you were, but it's clearly it's own instance of combat in a defined space. It feels updated, but it's still got enough Classic Final Fantasy. I'm totally in love with this game right now.

wait… 15 to 20 minutes and you’re in love?

dude.

give it some time. take her to dinner. it might be love after all, but right now it’s just infatuation :D

D6AMIA6N

So excited. Have played 7, 9, 10, 10-2, and 11. Only finished 7 & 10. It's been too long since I played a Final Fantasy game. I remember the first time I saw 7, I immediately went out and bought a PS just for it. XIII here I come!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Dead said:
I gotta say I don't understand why they chose to put save points every five minutes from each other.

Considering the (awesome) retry feature, its pretty useless. They might as well have just put a save option in the menu and kept the Stores for various set locations in the game (I havent even had to use a store even once so far by chapter 4)
I've been dipping into the game 1hr at a time, and I'm happy about those frequent save points, so I can shut it off pretty much whenever I want. It's not just about respawning after deaths.

BocoDragon

Cep said:
It can be done.
I wouldn't want it to be done... At all.

There's a reason why I play FF. This isn't mass effect, firefly, CSI or something. I don't want some normal American girl.

Cep

Banned
Shouta said:
Fixed that for you.

Except for Sazh.

BocoDragon said:
I wouldn't want it to be done... At all.

There's a reason why I play FF. This isn't mass effect, firefly, CSI or something. I don't want some normal American girl.

Er, no one said to make her 'normal', just less offensive to western ears. Hell the original is pretty palatable, but the localized one does not sound natural. At all.

I think concerning Vanille's localization *character spoilers*
Vanille could have have spoken a foreign language, kinda like the al bhed in FFX which would have fit in better with the odd mannerisms than the english voice. Plus it means another side quest they could have put in, like the al bhed primers

BocoDragon

BlazingDarkness said:
Vanille could have have spoken a foreign language, kinda like the al bhed in FFX which would have fit in better with the odd mannerisms than the english voice. Plus it means another side quest they could have put in, like the al bhed primers
She's not English, she's Australian. And as far as I'm concerned that IS a foreign language :lol

Durante

BocoDragon said:
Again... localized... You mean changed into something that would suit completely different tastes?
Absolutely not. I mean translated into some fashion of English lines/voice acting that doesn't actively make your ears bleed. They actually managed to do that in FF13 with Vanille (for me) which is already a huge feat compared to most similar characters in other games.
My preferred solution is to just give us audio options, which S-E did quite often lately (eg. TLR PC and SO4 Int), too bad they elected not to with FF13.

BlazingDarkness said:

Nobody would go through that trouble for a localization. :/

RPGCrazied

Castor Krieg said:
They get longer, and then some other get loooooooooooooooooooooooooonger.

sweet.. im fighting everything on the map.. and will try an do everything on pulse.

hope that increases my time

I've been wanting this game for so long... but I have a headache today. I played for about 30 minutes and my headache prevented me from paying attention to the dialogue.

BocoDragon

Cep said:
Er, no one said to make her 'normal', just less offensive to western ears. Hell the original is pretty palatable, but the localized one does not sound natural. At all.
I think she's cute. Maybe she isn't for you?

Ugh, why does SE have to use so much damn CG? Is this 1996? Game looks like shit compared to the CG, it's really jarring switching back and forth.

MomoPufflet said:
Ugh, why does SE have to use so much damn CG? Is this 1996? Game looks like shit compared to the CG, it's really jarring switching back and forth.

I actually like the fact that the game is fairly CG heavy, considering how good SE are at them.

MomoPufflet said:
844196os1.gif

Dead

well not really...yet
BocoDragon said:
I think she's cute. Maybe she isn't for you?
Agreed (I think its the running that seals it). The only annoying character for me so far is Hope, but at least its kind of understandable.

Empty

I'm appreciating the punching going in in this game, very satisfying to see annoying characters (see Snow) get socked.

I'm not sure if i feel positively about some of the streamlining in terms of structure, but the way the ATB battle system has been cleaned up is just genius. Take out the hassle of magic points then have the need for all character control completely taken away by the brilliant paradigm system and instead focus on creating these really exciting battles, that are still strategic yet remove the fat that allowing you to breeze past them super quickly. Then having you automatically heal after every battle allows them to raise the difficulty meaning each encounter can be exciting, and the incentive system forces you to take every battlr seriously if you want to level up fast. I'm having so much fun with it.

neoism

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttt. I love when your expecting a 4 rating, and then you get a 5!:D :D :D :D Thus far, this has been the best opening for an FF game ever... mostly done by the graphics, and the music, and the characters. The gameplay is sooo goood though. But very simple, I can't wait til in really opens up. Also lol. I'm liking Vanilla..:lol :lol :lol {spelling?}:lol I was expecting to hate her!

Garjon

Glad to see they closed Peter Ustinov's philisophical steakhouse early on, really annoys me when writers use that to pad out story.
Also :eek: at Vanille being English; thought she was Australian for sure.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Just got control of Lightening for the first time and wow, the battle system really feels likes X-2 + XII. I do miss having control over everyone but we'll see how it goes. GREAT music so far. It reminds me of FFX's style, which is good.

Tamanon

Banned
Lightning gets to be such a badass, that I really miss her when she's not in my party. Ravage + Blitz is great, and Launch is just hilariously awesome, especially on bosses. Air juggling!

desu

RetroGamer42 said:
Picked it up, played about 15-20 minutes of it so far. Just wanted to say that I LOVE how the battles work.

Just wait until you get the Paradigm Shift System ... then it really gets awesome.

BocoDragon

Dead said:
Agreed (I think its the running that seals it). The only annoying character for me so far is Hope, but at least its kind of understandable.
Agreed on Hope. :lol

Talking about FF characters.. they're such outrageous characters, flamboyant and foreign to boot... of course people will disagree on them. But the whole point of that strange mix of characters is to appeal to a wide demographic. For every Snow or Vanille hater in this thread, there are a lot of guys and girls out there who will get drawn into XIII because these characters are there. Were it all normal, neutral American style characters, this series would not have the uniquely diverse fanbase that it does.

Dead said:
I gotta say I don't understand why they chose to put save points every five minutes from each other.

Considering the (awesome) retry feature, its pretty useless. They might as well have just put a save option in the menu and kept the Stores for various set locations in the game (I havent even had to use a store even once so far by chapter 4)

I feel like it's a compromise between save anywhere and save points. They are very frequent, but then again, a player can spend a lot of time in the game simply reading the datalog, so maybe they found people wanting to save more often than usual.

BocoDragon

Garjon said:
Glad to see they closed Peter Ustinov's philisophical steakhouse early on, really annoys me when writers use that to pad out story.
Also :eek: at Vanille being English; thought she was Australian for sure.
She is Australian.

Durante

jonnybryce said:
I feel like it's a compromise between save anywhere and save points. They are very frequent, but then again, a player can spend a lot of time in the game simply reading the datalog, so maybe they found people wanting to save more often than usual.
Or looking around at the scenery and taking screenshots :lol

Empty

Hamauzu killed it with the soundtrack. The music in the game is just stunning, i have the battle theme stuck in my head right now.

Tamanon

Banned
Remember, folks hated Wakka at first too!:p And some still do.

And I'm pretty sure there's a big secret for Vanille, considering how she responded to Sazh joking about
sleeping through history class

7Th

Vanille's Japanese voice sounded like that of a typical Japanese young girl and AT TIMES her VA provided some very natural acting, specially in the scenes where the characters were just fooling around. Vanille's American voice sounds annoying because her high-pitched voice is a lot more high-pitched than the Japanese equivalent; in fact, it's probably one of the most high-pitched cutsey girl voices I've heard in video games.

I still think Fang's voice is the worst of the bunch, though; her accent is really overplayed.

Tamanon said:
Remember, folks hated Wakka at first too!:p And some still do.

And I'm pretty sure there's a big secret for Vanille, considering how she responded to Sazh joking about
sleeping through history class
The actual characterization of Vanille so far (10 hours) is fine. The problem lies in the egregiously bad voice acting (combined with constant moans that sound like an abortion put on audio tape). Somehow I don't see that changing regardless of where her arc goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom