• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuRT!

Captain N said:
I hate to be the guy asking all the questions, but any reason my weapons aren't leveling up or does that come later in the game?

You level them through the crafting system, which can be accessed at save points. I don't think it is activated right from the start though.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Zeliard said:
I've been hearing that he's the most mature and tolerable out of the bunch.
Its like watching Black Dynamite, except there's no funny.

ZeoVGM

Banned
What's the deal with this STAGGER thing? The bad guys names turn orange and it announces STAGGER. The game hasn't explained it yet.

Cep

Banned
DY_nasty said:
Its like watching Black Dynamite, except there's no funny.

I know the feeling.

It helps to know where it comes from and what the intention is.

When looked that way, not really an issue (for me anyway, YMMV).

omg rite said:
What's the deal with this STAGGER thing? The bad guys names turn orange and it announces STAGGER. The game hasn't explained it yet.
Maybe you should wait for the game to explain it then instead of coming here. The tutorial is 15-20 hours long after all.

Tamanon

Banned
omg rite said:

When they're staggered they take a crapton more damage. I'm pretty sure there's a tutorial a bit later, but you can also look in your datalog.

Just got it and put it into my PS3! <3 Amazon shipping.

Can't believe after seeing that initial trailer in 2006.....it's actually here. Seems unreal.

(the title screen music is awesome, almost as if it's telling me YES IT IS HERE)

Sorry Persona 4.....you're going to be put on hold for a while.....

Peff

omg rite said:

Think of it as an invisible armor being broken and a chance for you to kick some monster ass.

KZObsessed

I'm at a bit called (a name of a location, not really a spoiler->)
"The Sunless Waterscape"
and when you get to the vista... wow. Then you look up to the sky and you see the Pulse world... wow. I wish this game had a screenshot feature because, tho not as technically as impressive as the vistas in some other games, artistically it's just beautiful. I stood there and looked at it for at least 5 minutes. And the song too <3

Feep

Banned
Impressions no one cares about:

Five hours in, really liking it so far. The steady progression of the battle system is enjoyable, and as a person who loved Xenosaga like he loves his own children (more, really, since I have no children), I do not at all mind the corridor/cutscene/corridor sequence.

In fact, the game (structurally) feels very similar to Xenosaga. Fans of XS, rejoice!

This game is so addicting, but I'm up to a boss battle who is kicking my ass. I feel ashamed to say who so hopefully i can beat him this time and not need to ask for help.

Peff said:
Think of it as an invisible armor being broken and a chance for you to kick some monster ass.

and you have until the orange bar depletes...then the invisible armor is back.

Feep said:

Five hours in, really liking it so far. The steady progression of the battle system is enjoyable, and as a person who loved Xenosaga like he loves his own children (more, really, since I have no children), I do not at all mind the corridor/cutscene/corridor sequence.

In fact, the game (structurally) feels very similar to Xenosaga. Fans of XS, rejoice!

I care! Maybe Xenosaga lite...no super long cutscenes (yet, at least), but they can be abundant.

I don't like how the battle system has taken so long to reveal itself. I went out of my way to fight every monster, not knowing that I wouldn't be able to benefit from it until pardigms were introduced a few hours later...I mean, I get if you want to ease into things, but auto battle or command queue...I get it...paradigms could have been introduced earlier.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Zeliard said:
Well, it is a black character in a Japanese-developed game.
Just stating my complete distaste.

Other than that, this looks amazing and has been pretty good so far. I'll be staying out of this thread until I beat the game. (GAF ruined Mass Effect 2 for me :( )

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Cep said:
Again, I have no issue with liking or disliking her, I do take issue with the insinuations made above.
Those statements had nothing to do with you, and everything to do with me.

I don't want an neutral American voice, as an alternative to the current Vanille. That doesn't imply that I think YOU want an neutral American voice. I don't know what you think, and I don't exactly care that much about you. But on the topic of changing Vanille's voice as you brought up, I like it how it is, and I don't like the perceived alternatives as I assume them to be (common English voices). If that's my narrow minded-dichotomy, great, I'm a fool, there may be many other possibilities, but I wasn't stating what I think you thought about it.

Zeliard

Feep said:

Except the cutscenes in FFXIII aren't 8 hours long apiece. ;)

ZeoVGM

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
Maybe you should wait for the game to explain it then instead of coming here. The tutorial is 15-20 hours long after all.

Or you could not be a doo doo head since this is a discussion thread and all. Thanks!

Peff said:

Tamanon said:
When they're staggered they take a crapton more damage. I'm pretty sure there's a tutorial a bit later, but you can also look in your datalog.

Thanks guys. I actually just got to that tutorial but I didn't know how far away it would be.

Initial opening impressions: The CGI is insane. Maybe it's because Uncharted 2 uses real-time cutscenes, but it does not come close to this. Seeing the trailers on my computer versus seeing it on the big-screen is a huge difference. This is IMO far and away the best looking console game right now, it's really blowing me away. As for jRPGs, nothing else comes close. Sorry haters, looks like Final Fantasy is still the undisputed king of jRPGs.

Edit: Real-time graphics are simply "very good", slightly worse than Uncharted 2, but the cutscenes are out of this world.

Tamanon

Banned
One thing the artstyle and quality makes me want is Square-Enix to do a Star Wars game. I think they could make it look better than Episodes 1-3.:lol

vicissitudes said:
Initial opening impressions: The CGI is insane. Maybe it's because Uncharted 2 uses real-time cutscenes, but it does not come close to this. Seeing the trailers on my computer versus seeing it on the big-screen is a huge difference. This is IMO far and away the best looking console game right now, it's really blowing me away. As for jRPGs, nothing else comes close. Sorry haters, looks like Final Fantasy is still the undisputed king of jRPGs.

+1

It's funny to me to see people so divided here, some say not Uncharted 2 quality but close, others say better. Do you find actual gameplay to be as awe-inspiring, or just cutscenes?

vicissitudes said:
In-depth analysis indeed. Also Uncharted 2's in-game looks better than FF13. But yes the CGI is incredible.

Rpgmonkey

Ugh, so glad I know how this game works already and freely skipped a bunch of stuff.

2 hours of basic crap. Was getting really bored.

vicissitudes said:
Uncharted 2 did not use real-time cutscenes. They hid it well, but the lighting in the cutscenes is way better than in-engine.

ZeoVGM

Banned
So guys, what do you have your ATB settings set to? Normal or slow? I just tried it at slow for the first time and I might like it a little more but I'm not even sure yet. I enjoy both for different reasons.

The fact that the battle takes longer when it's slow doesn't hurt your ranking at the end of the battle, right? Or does it?

Zoe

Deadly said:
So it's been awhile the game has come out, do we have the scene where My Hands is played yet?

It's the end theme. The other J-pop song was replaced by Serah's Theme.

omg rite said:
So guys, what do you have your ATB settings set to? Normal or slow? I just tried it at slow for the first time and I might like it a little more but I'm not even sure yet. I enjoy both for different reasons.

The fact that the battle takes longer when it's slow doesn't hurt your ranking at the end of the battle, right? Or does it?
Slow is good for some boss fights but generally im happy with normal

Jrmint

I love this game so much, but Chapter 4 has been a little annoying.

Not having a primary melee character for a little while (Snow, Lightning my 2 faves) has been kind of a pain, I hope I get them back soon.

In other news I got my LE guide from Amazon about an hour ago, so so sexy :D .
2 questions about it. What is that writing on the back? Where is the number?

bardia

not sure if it's been mentioned but I just picked up my copy in Canada from Best Buy and it's the American version with the shiny cover/inside cover art :D

ZeoVGM

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:
Slow is good for some boss fights but generally im happy with normal

I just reset the game to restart at the save point before the battle that teaches you what Stagger is. I did it with slow set first, now I'll try it with normal and compare.

Rpgmonkey

omg rite said:

Normal, default to "Abilities" command.

Skel said:
I love this game so much, but Chapter 4 has been a little annoying.

Not having a primary melee character for a little while (Snow, Lightning my 2 faves) has been kind of a pain, I hope I get them back soon.

In other news I got my LE guide from Amazon about an hour ago, so so sexy :D .
2 questions about it. What is that writing on the back? Where is the number?
for the number open the front cover, on the inside

thefil

10 hours in.

This game moves really slowly. I can't think of any significant plot progression in the last 8 hours, even though I've travelled through 3 or 4 zones in that time. Mostly it's just been long stretches of combat interspersed with five minutes of character exposition.

That's not necessarily negative though, it just doesn't jive with how I like my pacing to be. I'd prefer it if the game constantly gave me a goal to achieve as opposed to a vague destination and a direction to travel. The exposition is alright for the characters I like (Lightning, Hope, Sahz, Snow) and terrible for the characters I hate (Snow, when he's talking to Serah, Vanille). If it wasn't for the occasional jolt of challenging combat, I would be getting pretty bored.

The combat is often too easy, but when it's good, it's good. I really enjoy the paradigm system during a challenging fight. BUT what is with smooth jazz during boss fights?

Summary: game is completely toeing the middle of the quality line for me.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Zoe said:
It's the end theme. The other J-pop song was replaced by Serah's Theme.
And what an amazing improvement that was. Scene played out beautifully in the English version.. And the original was more like a music video.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I hate the 360 pre-recorded in-game cutscenes, really senseless and look bad. FMV is pretty damn good, though the encoding pops its ugly head every once in a while. Graphics look quite fine on the 360 with the exception of the things I mentioned up there. Good music, nice graphics, but I just find myself underwhelmed by the game. I am just 2 hours in and go the Paradigm stuff, but the game hasn't yet clicked with me. I don't know... seems a bit weak so far with a few interesting tidbits, I somewhat expected more.

PD: The fireworks FMV was amazing, even with the 360 encoding :lol

Alex

Zeliard said:
I've been hearing that he's the most mature and tolerable out of the bunch.

He is quite goofy at times, but that still doesn't make him less likable or fun. Even with his kookiness he's the anchor amongst a pack of Teen Disney Original Movie folk (awkwardly inserted into a Star Wars prequel). Every other character thus far has just been pretty iffy thus far. To be nice though, I only want to slit Vanille's throat of the bunch.

Environments are CRAZY good looking though, crushes every other console game I've seen in terms of that, this just makes me more interested in XIV will do with more personally appealing art direction. The pace and battles have been quite fun, although not exactly anywhere near as challenging as I had gleaned. Not so far at least.

Linearity is buggign me a bit more than I expected. It sounds cool in premise in some ways, like a neon rollercoaster but when you get to these crazy vistas and battlefields and you cant do shit except hold down forward like a Sonic the Hedgehog game without the speed it's a little saddening. I still think it's an OK thing, but a LITTLE freedom here and there would've been really nice.

Music doesn't do it for me at all, it's Hamauzu, it's all trying to be too "pretty" for it's own good for my tastes and there's too much atmospheric fare in there, however I do appreciate the production quality of it. It's HARDLY bad, it just doesn't, to me, scream "awesome".

So I kind of picked this up on a whim today. Wasn't particularly looking forward to it; but hey, it's Final Fantasy and I had a $50 gift card to Gamestop from Utalkback. So I knew relatively nothing about the game. Put after nearly 4 hours of playing it straight through, I can say I don't regret my purchase.

The game's battle system is amazing and the game itself is beautiful on my SD TV. :D

ZeoVGM

Banned
Relix said:
I hate the 360 pre-recorded in-game cutscenes, really senseless and look bad. FMV is pretty damn good, though the encoding pops its ugly head every once in a while. Graphics look quite fine on the 360 with the exception of the things I mentioned up there. Good music, nice graphics, but I just find myself underwhelmed by the game. I am just 2 hours in and go the Paradigm stuff, but the game hasn't yet clicked with me. I don't know... seems a bit weak so far with a few interesting tidbits, I somewhat expected more.

PD: The fireworks FMV was amazing, even with the 360 encoding :lol

Is the encoding something that perhaps a game update could fix? It's more noticeable in wide view scenes I think, rather than up close shots.

Rpgmonkey said:
Normal, default to "Abilities" command.

Yeah, definitely defaulted to Abilities for good. I don't like Auto-battle. And I think I'm leaning towards Normal now.

But I'm still curious if Slow will hurt your end battle rank or if it ranks you with that in mind.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
omg rite said:
Is the encoding something that perhaps a game update could fix? It's more noticeable in wide view scenes I think, rather than up close shots.

Nah that was hard-encoded into the DVD. Nothing will fix it :lol

kagete

Whew! less than 2 hours in! I almost got a boner when Snow pressed the light switch thingy and the dungeon rearranged and i thought HELL YEAH DUNGEON CRAWLING TIME bitches!!! And then it went back to a different party :( oh well

My PS3 copy is in the mail and will be delivered by tomorrow afternoon. My wife is leaving the province for a week. That means I get 100% of the TV time during a FF release. Time to go pick up a case of beer and start growing a beard. :D

Zoe

BocoDragon said:
And what an amazing improvement that was. Scene played out beautifully in the English version.. And the original was more like a music video.

I didn't think it was that bad, though I did find it disappointing after being so used to hearing the main theme at that scene in the trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom