• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too am getting pumped up by this thread. This is going to be my first 'main' FF since X (I never played XII). I was going to Goozex it, but after reading the thread and finding out you get a code for the beta, I have decided I'm going to pick it up on the way home.

Tamanon said:
Yeah, if you don't read the Datalog, you wouldn't know that Hope(spoilers for Chapter1/2)
BURNS WITH AN INTERNAL RAGE AGAINST SNOW!
You'd think he was just nervous or something.

:lol :lol :lol

I read the log to understand wtf a Fal'Cie and l'Cie are. The emotional reveals are the cherries on the cake.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Xpliskin said:
Bought this for 360 today.
Played the first 2 chapters.
Dunno what reviewers smoke but this game feels and plays like a solid FF game.
Complete with awkward dialogue/cutscenes.

Deserves a 9/10.
Good to know you don't have to finish a game to properly review it.

fernoca

Crappy pics time!! :p

My avatar :p (with the extra-male soldier costume -PSICOM Raider Uniform-)
fm2r5z.png

Case (shiny cover <3!) + booklet + 3 discs
2meoi1c.jpg

3 discs art
28wpkl2.jpg
ixqzwp.jpg
fbdpc.jpg

(Just like the old times.. :p )

Mini-guide + Limited Edition Guide
1zfhisx.jpg

Closeup to the logo in the Ltd. guide (shiny <3!)

k03qmx.jpg

Tamanon said:
Yeah, if you don't read the Datalog, you wouldn't know that Hope(spoilers for Chapter1/2)
BURNS WITH AN INTERNAL RAGE AGAINST SNOW!
You'd think he was just nervous or something.

The
zufb79.jpg
becomes more apparent when
Snow and Hope are forced into the same party in Hope's home town

Big Papa Husker said:
I too am getting pumped up by this thread. This is going to be my first 'main' FF since X (I never played XII). I was going to Goozex it, but after reading the thread and finding out you get a code for the beta, I have decided I'm going to pick it up on the way home.

code? beta?

Cep

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
I agree with Jeremy Parish - giving you the minimap is bad in a way hence why I turned it right off!

Reason why ME2 took it away. Good decision on Bioware's part, wish SE had taken the same path.

jonnybryce said:
There really needed to be a change to make JRPGs survive in today's market. Lost Odyssey would have been great a few years ago but was so. damn. boring. I'm glad that the "visit towns, random battle, get lost in a dungeon, grind grind grind" has been replaced by updated, modern, fun alternatives.

What is the ban rate for this thread?

I need to know before I proceed to saying anything.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Anybody ordered the CE guide when it like on sale for like $20 from Walmart.com and had their ordered canceled?

" I just got this message. It seems like they didn't want to honor the deal. Way to go sending me the damn email on the day it's supposed to ship assholes!

Dear Kadey,

Thank you for your recent Walmart.com order. Unfortunately, we've had to cancel the item(s) listed below.

We always want your Walmart.com shopping experience to be a good one and are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

===========================================================
CANCELED ITEM(S)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Order Date: 03 MAR 2010 20:33
Order Number: 2677557143109
ITEM QTY PRICE TOTAL
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Final Fantasy XIII Complete Official Guide - 2 19.00 38.00 "

What..

the...

F...u...uuu

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Loving the game so far.

Ironically, I don't really find Hope annoying at all (yet?) I find everyone else far more irritating. Well, except Sazh, because Sazh is awesome so far :lol

Oli

Just got my copy in the mail, 5pm =__=

At this point I'll just wait until after dinner, then it's off to FF marathon through the night! (installing disk 1 now)

Garjon

Started playing this today, got as far as
the frozen lake
These impressions are obviously early, but here goes anyway. The game starts off slowly; of course this is true with respect to most RPGs but at least in other games you don't spend the first 2 chapters hammering X. It's only in the third chapter that the game started to get even half-decent. The complexity of the battle system kinda overwhelmed me but after fighting that
flying robot scorpion thing
I think it's finally gelled. Overall I'm really starting to enjoy it. I know the game received a lot of flak for its characters but I actually like them for the most part (have a guess at which playable character is the exception).

One thing that is starting to annoy me though is the field/camera controls - so bloody unwieldy. I also wouldn't mind slightly less linear paths, but again this is only the very beginning of the game. I do have a few questions though:

Those junky items that are often dropped from battles - keep or sell?

Can I choose my party soon?

Does Vanille's accent fix itself over time?

survivor

Banned
So while I was at Gamestop to pick up my game I decided to get the guide just for the hell of it. I looked at both standard one and CE guide and I went with the CE one just for the cover art. But is it really worth the extra 10 bucks? Cause I really feel that I got ripped off. Like are there huge difference between it and the standard guide?

Just played an hour of the game so far and I really hate the camera. It just doesn't feel right to me. Plus when Lightning runs, her legs look really funny for some reason.

jiien

Cep said:
I know, which is why I ask.

People have been mostly overwhelmingly positive though. It's usually only when people are stupidly negative that we have mass banhammers.

So...I was trying to commit to only buying one of the games coming out currently at a time, because I know I'm not going to be able to play all of them immediately, and should probably wait on the others to just drop in price. So I went with Resonance of Fate...

And yesterday morning, I decided to just buy this game anyway, to tide me over till RoF hits. After reading this thread, I'm now seriously hyped for it, though I was sort of on the fence about a day and a half ago. Damn you GAF.

HURRY AMAZON/UPS I WANNA PLAY

Durante said:
I'm sorry, that is just wrong. If you never went (quite significantly) BACKWARD and activated new passages you missed quite a few treasure spheres.
For example, after you activate the "power plant" or whatever it is you can go back to the previous area and activate an elevator and deploy a few stairs

oh shit! stoped playing and when I gt back and
activated the power plant
forgot about the
elevator
, shit missing treasure in a game linear like this...:(

B-Dex

I can't register my game because every time I get to the "Click register to complete and gain the points" it just takes me to the top of the page and asks me to do it again :(

UPDATE: I went in through my account page and it finally worked that way so yay! :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
five hours in (mid-way through Chap 3): thumbs up!

Garjon

BlazingDarkness said:
keep keep keep keep
Oh right... only I sold some of them thinking they wouldn't come in handy. Though I'm guessing certain items like credit chips or whatever they're called are meant for selling.

JWong

Banned
I have a question that's probably been answered, but is there anything I can miss when I play through the first time? I'd like to try not to miss anything.

Not sure if I want to use a guide of any sorts.

Cep

Banned
tribal24 said:
am i the olny one who thinks snow is annoying like everytime theres a scene with him it seems so forced-_-

Everyone hastes Snow.

Even I do, and I love his character design (What can I say, I like dudebros).

Alucrid

Banned
It's in my building I just can't pick it up because

1) they haven't notified me
2) package hours aren't here yet

This wait is killing me.

Dresden

I was going to buy a PS3 version of the game, but a friend is offering a 360 copy for forty bucks because he thinks its boring. :lol Sold!

Garjon said:
Oh right... only I sold some of them thinking they wouldn't come in handy. Though I'm guessing certain items like credit chips or whatever they're called are meant for selling.
yeah if it's meant for selling it will say so in the description
otherwise you should keep them for upgrading your weapons

tribal24 said:
am i the olny one who thinks snow is annoying like everytime theres a scene with him it seems so forced-_-
Yeah i hate Snow.

Diablos

34zawas.jpg

qnuulg.jpg

10druy9.jpg

Yessss. That Gamestop deal was awesome. Didn't even have to hunt for it after work, just got home and it's here. :D

The shiny cover is pretty cool. My back cover seems to a little "off", it's like there's two layers that were merged into one and not aligned properly. Oh well.

After waiting so long for a game it's hard to believe it's finally here!

Cep said:
Everyone hastes Snow.

Pretty sure Sazh is the only Synergist at first. :lol

tribal24 said:

Protect protect protect Serah protect protect big sis protect!

Westonian

survivor said:
So while I was at Gamestop to pick up my game I decided to get the guide just for the hell of it. I looked at both standard one and CE guide and I went with the CE one just for the cover art. But is it really worth the extra 10 bucks? Cause I really feel that I got ripped off. Like are there huge difference between it and the standard guide?

Not a huge difference. Hardback, cooler cover, extra art. However, it actually is a limited edition, and as you can read earlier on this page, it is mostly already sold out. Gone from Amazon, Wal-mart canceling orders, Barnes & Noble sold out (hopefully my copy still ships.)

So if you wait a few days and decide you'd rather get the paperback edition, I'm sure there are plenty of people that would be willing to buy your copy.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Up to the middle of Chapter 3, and really critics? Is this really THAT linear? FFX and FFX2 were the same and nobody complained back then.

Cep

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Pretty sure Sazh is the only Synergist at first. :lol

Protect protect protect Serah protect protect big sis protect!

That was terrible, you should feel...

...Oh!

:lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Aeon712 said:
Any reason why I can't get Snow to learn any Sentinel abilities?

What do you mean? Is the tree capped?

RetroMG

Picked it up, played about 15-20 minutes of it so far. Just wanted to say that I LOVE how the battles work. I hate the recent trend of RPGs handling combat like MMORPGs. (I'm thinking here of games like Magna Carta 2 and White Knight Chronicles.) FF13 feels more like Chrono Trigger. Hit the enemies on the field, and the Combat still takes place where you were, but it's clearly it's own instance of combat in a defined space. It feels updated, but it's still got enough Classic Final Fantasy. I'm totally in love with this game right now.

I'm 9 hours in and I'm LOVING this game.

I just beat the
huge plant boss
. The characters are all growing on me, with the exception of Snow...who's just being a LITTLE too annoying...not as bad as I had feared, though.

Seriously, this battle/customization system is gold. I forget how everything is so linear because I'm so focused on advancing my skills and stuff.

And I love the FFIX throwback with
Cid and Lindblum
!

Cep said:
Everyone hastes Snow.

I love snow! I want to marry him... even if it means bad things happen to me and i have to become a fictional wide eyed girl... i would do it to have him. If he were real i'd stalk him and steal his underwear from his washing basket (yes, before washing).

Anyway.... impressions thus far

1 - OMG the presentation is amazing.
These are surely the best visuals to come out of japan on PS3 to date. Move over MT Framework, Crystal Tools just kicked you in teh nuts! Just got to lake bresha... totally wide-eyed at the environments... and the battle visuals are so rich and silky, it's like galaxy chocolate for the eyes.

2 - love love love the battle system. the paradigm shifts seem, even at this early stage, like a brilliant way to change strategy with micro managing the characters.

3 - i actually like the linearity. Tell me this... how many RPGS give you any really choice over how you advance the main story? FFXII streamlines things, sure, but it all neatly side steps the contrivance / padding of roaming a around an overworld. this is the jrpg reimagined as a rollercoaster ride... and i like it.

4 - hang on my eyes are bleeding from the amazing

5 - sound design.
beautiful, super-crisp, well composed and full of detail. the sound and effects are exemplary.

i can't wait to spend a few more hours with this, but alas i must work tomorrow. I know where this weekend is going!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom