• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
JayPad said:
Is it just me or am I hearing AUSTRALIAN tinges and dialect in some of the female VA's? Not a gripe, just a note.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked at all if Fang said "Another shrimp on the barbie" when she casts Fira.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Im about 5 hours in, loving the game so far. Im actually having fun playing it. It is kinda funny how it takes about 3 hours to actually start the real game, but they do a great job easing you into the gameplay that way.

Dresden said:
Tinges?

It goes far beyond that.

I've been watching Abby Winters today. Hmm, maybe this is a pick-up. :lol

Seriously, I wasn't fond of FFXII, as I didn't finish. Made it 25-30 hours in. My fav. RPG(and game) is Xenogears. Would I like FFXIII? I don't even have a PS3 but I have the money to buy one....hmm.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
so without realizing it I accidentally shipped my copy of FFXIII to Yellowstone National Park rather than my house.

I live in Georgia.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
DevelopmentArrested said:
Maybe you should wait for the game to explain it then instead of coming here. The tutorial is 15-20 hours long after all.

Then I'll wait to pass judgment until after that?

...here's a hint. I'm not all that impressed. So far, just pushing forward on the the left stick and holding down the X button in battles. But, I've only played 6 hours of it...

I'm so bored.

WanderingWind said:
Then I'll wait to pass judgment until after that?

...here's a hint. I'm not all that impressed. So far, just pushing forward on the the left stick and holding down the X button in battles. But, I've only played 6 hours of it...

I'm so bored.
He wasn't making a value judgment. He was asking a question that the in-game tutorial would explain to him in the time it took to post on this site. Also, if you used that strat on bosses and
Eidolons
... not sure how you survived.

ZeoVGM

Banned
So does anyone know if putting the ATB on slow hurts your ranking in battle? Haven't been able to find that answer yet.

Luthos

So I bought it, and got the hardcover collector's guide.

I hear that guide has a spoiler summary. I won't exactly flip through the main game walkthrough, but where is this summary so I don't run across it.

WanderingWind

He wasn't making a value judgment. He was asking a question that the in-game tutorial would explain to him in the time it took to post on this site. Also, if you used that strat on bosses and
Eidolons
... not sure how you survived.

Oh, yeah, I totally got that. I was making a value judgment on the first six hours. This game picks up, right?

Does battle ranking count towards trophies/item drops, or is it just spending points or something?

I'm not on the PS3 just now, can't check, so a quick question to GAF before I go back to play more :)

FrankT

Picked up my copy tonight. I couldn't hack staying up last night for some reason heh. Anyhow, after a lengthy install this has an incredible opening.

When you get to Pulse (20 hours in).

That kind of sucks as I had read 10. 20 is pushing it.

ronito

Really enjoying it so far. So glad that the game doesn't play itself like FFXII, I was already bored with FFXII at this point. Although I'm a bit in the dark about equipment and levels and such. But that will come I guess. I love Sazh's voice actor. I can't get over how pretty the game is. Good lawd.

omg rite said:
Just got to the point where the mom
grabs the gun
. She's
so dead, isn't she?
:lol

I kinda half-way wish Snow died instead of her. But then we wouldn't get Hope going from a wimp to fucking hardcore in the span of a minute.

Oli

Just finished my first session, went to the end of Chapter 1. Wow, this game is just... Wow. So far my expectations are surpassed.

I've been using auto-battle a lot already. Is this an advisable tactic? Selecting the individual commands seems pretty futile at this point, especially since the game does such a nice job of choosing the best move for the selected enemy.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Playing this game again reminds me of how incredibly gorgeous it is. Like, wtf wow gorgeous levels.

edit: Why do people say the tutorial is 20 hrs? Just because the game is linear for 20 hrs doesn't mean that the linear parts are tutorial. Do people say FFX's tutorial is 30 hrs because you don't get level 4 sphere unlocks until then?

gkryhewy

360-only owners have no fear! Game looks fabulous. Loving the art direction too. And the music... quite a nice presentation overall.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oli said:
Just finished my first session, went to the end of Chapter 1. Wow, this game is just... Wow. So far my expectations are surpassed.

I've been using auto-battle a lot already. Is this an advisable tactic? Selecting the individual commands seems pretty futile at this point, especially since the game does such a nice job of choosing the best move for the selected enemy.

I personally don't like to use it. I just like being the one to make the decisions, whether they're good or bad.

On another note, I just got 3 stars on a battle I thought I did as quickly as possible with the Slow ATB on. I'm leaning towards Slow ATB hurting your ranking.

Oli

omg rite said:
I personally don't like to use it. I just like being the one to make the decisions, whether they're good or bad.

On another note, I just got 3 stars on a battle I thought I did as quickly as possible with the Slow ATB on. I'm leaning towards Slow ATB hurting your ranking.

I don't mind it actually. But I'll admit I'm a light heart for RPG's. Maybe once I get used to everything else I'll start taking more control, but for now it seems to work alright.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oli said:
I don't mind it actually. But I'll admit I'm a light heart for RPG's. Maybe once I get used to everything else I'll start taking more control, but for now it seems to work alright.

Yeah I mean, that's cool that it's an option. The fact that they let you choose what you want it to default to (Auto-battle or Abilities) is great.

Alex

Paznos said:
Still out for Delivery :( since 4:49AM PST..... sigh

A few years ago, I ordered some PC parts and had a fedex truck roll up with them about 8 PM. Very odd situation that was.

Proc

bought my ps3 copy almost entirely due to having an ebgames on the way home..I didn't have much hype but come on, it's final fantasy.

aryies

Neo Member
man some of these fights are challenging right? or am i doing it wrong? on some bosses, if you are not in the correct paradigm/dont have self buffs on/dont stagger (or get close to it) you get your ass kicked!

Oli

omg rite said:
Yeah I mean, that's cool that it's an option. The fact that they let you choose what you want it to default to (Auto-battle or Abilities) is great.

Absolutely.

At any rate, I've been away for about 5 minutes and the game is calling to me again... I know how this night shall be spent. :p

WanderingWind

Have you not read a single review, interview or preview of the game or?

Some people prefer not to spoil their games with reading up on them before hand. Please, show a little respect for those who prefer it that way. It's not hard to do, right?

Zalasta

Only played about 3 hours and I love being able to shop at save points as well as health reset to full after each battle. Who says changes are bad? :D

ronito

Fimbulvetr said:
I kinda half-way wish Snow died instead of her. But then we wouldn't get Hope going from a wimp to fucking hardcore in the span of a minute.
Man that was so
obvious. When I saw that woman pick up the gun I turned to my wife and said "That woman is SO dead." and my wife was like "Why you say that?" I pointed out they didn't even bother to give her a name. I mean come on Square try a little harder.

Oli

Zalasta said:
Only played about 3 hours and I love being able to shop at save points as well as health reset to full after each battle. Who says changes are bad? :D

It's definitely an interesting change. I just finished Tales of Vesperia, and to be honest that game was starting to wear on me after 40 hours. So far FFXIII is a breath of fresh air.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Have you not read a single review, interview or preview of the game or?

I hate this sort of attitude. It's very easy for you to follow the rules in the OP. Then when you don't and someone mentions it, you get defensive instead of just admitting you were in the wrong.

I tried to remain on a media blackout for this game aside from a few things. I knew what you said happened but I didn't know when. Either be respectful of those who dislike even minor spoilers or don't post. Please.

sciplore

On chapter 3 so far still getting use to the battle system but jumping the paradigm shifts and using abilities have been simple for me so far. Happy they gave the option to use sticks along with the d-pad else this would have been irritating for me on the 360. Shame I can't switch party members out like I want yet though a Sazh-less party is a boring one.

Issue that has been bothering me though is how do I stop the game from making a new save file every time I save. I have a habit of maintaining about 5 save files but each time I am prompted to save a new one pops up its annoying the heck out of me.

ZeoVGM

Banned
ronito said:
Man that was so
obvious. When I saw that woman pick up the gun I turned to my wife and said "That woman is SO dead." and my wife was like "Why you say that?" I pointed out they didn't even bother to give her a name. I mean come on Square try a little harder.

:lol Yeah, it was obvious. But I'll be damned if I didn't get a little sad. What a brutal scene that was overall. Jeez. It reminded me of
the plate falling in FFVII

KZObsessed

I love how after a long segment with two of your characters, you then take control of a different two and you have 3000+ CP to spend with them :D

Question about a trophy! When it says "Held Every Weapon/Accesory in the game" does that mean you have to have equiped them all or just have them in your inventory at one point? I'm guessing it's the latter but I sold a usless one and just want to know if it'll count.

WanderingWind

Zalasta said:

Wow. You're the first person I've heard of that likes shopping from the save points.

...I don't like you.

Proc

+1 excited oblivious player...it actually feels good not following a big release hype train and then jumping right in.....this game is beautiful!

Epcott

I'm only 30 min in, but this is shocking...
You mean to tell me Lightning and Pal's health fills back up after each battle? And I'm not consuming MP when using something like Blitz?

Not to mention, things move so fast, sometimes I'm not entirely sure who I've targeted if there are multiple enemies.

After playing Persona 3 FES last week, I'm a little disoriented. :lol

(magic edit: so at no point in the game can you influence your teammates to support you or direct them in battle? I feel like there's training wheels on here, but maybe it's due to this being the beginning)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom